Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 05-31-2004, 02:41 PM   #1
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Peter John Ramos

(Taken from draftcity.com)

By Jonathan Givony
May 30th, 2004

Peter John Ramos Update

Ramos, who just turned 19 two weeks ago, and his Puerto Rican team Caguas have advanced to the second portion of the regular season, a round robin type tournament where the top 8 teams in the BSN league play 10 games in a matter of 2 weeks. Caguas has signed former NBA point guard Anthony Goldwire to strengthen the team, and they are hoping that his presence (instead of their inexperienced guards) on the floor will help Ramos shine even more. Ramos is being heavily scouted by almost every team in the league with a first round draft pick, but especially hard by Seattle, Portland and Golden State, and he is not disappointing while playing against strong competition, especially when compared to the other high schoolers in the draft. Their first game was on the road against the Ponce Lions, who have the best record in the league and are considered the favorites to make the finals. Ramos held former New York Knick and Sacramento King Anthony Bonner to 6/17 shooting, while Ramos put up 16 points, 6 rebounds, 2 assists and 6 blocks. Caguas came up with the improbable road victory. The very next night, against another top Puerto Rican team on the road, Ramos was matched up with Richard Lugo, the starting center for the Venezuelan national team who was voted the top defender in the league last season. Ramos held him to 8 points on 4/9 shooting, while scoring 24 points to go along with 8 rebounds. Caguas lost this time.

The tournament ends on June 10th, and Ramos will be flying to Chicago to catch the tail end of the Chicago Pre-Draft camp, on the 11th and 12th, where he will be taking tests, conducting interviews, participating in the combines for measurements and agility tests, in addition to doing a private workout or two if he has time. If Caguas is one of the four teams advancing to the next round of the playoffs, he will continue to play through the draft. Other then the three teams drafting from 11-13 who have shown lots of interest, the Dallas Mavericks are one team that keeps popping up in conversations surrounding Ramos. It is possible that they may try to move up to snatch him on draft night, maybe sending Antawn Jamison to the Cavaliers—who are under the salary cap—for Tony Battie and Cleveland’s first rounder (#10). Miami is another team who is interested in Ramos, but they do not believe that he will be around for them at 19.

Many eyebrows were raised when the then brand new NBA draft site DraftCity uncovered him in February and touted him as a first rounder, and we’ve taken a lot of heat since then as we’ve risen his stock all the way to the end of the lottery, but the feedback we have received from people around the league, almost unanimously, says that this guy is for real and people are interested., even though they are doing their best to pretend like they are not.
Old 05-31-2004, 02:52 PM   #2
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all
Default RE: Peter John Ramos

I saw this also, and wonder if thats worth Jamison. I mean if that happened it would not only show the Nelsons hope for that guy, but it would put a lot of pressure for him to perform
Old 05-31-2004, 02:55 PM   #3
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

SaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud of
Default RE:Peter John Ramos

As with almost every deal like this, I would rather it be Walker, but that won't happen.

I think I would do it though. Battie would be a great role player (assuming Nellie plays him, which he won't) but this kid Ramos could be awesome for us. Nellie would have to play him.

SaltwaterChaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 03:17 PM   #4
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future

The Cavs would be pretty scary with Jamison. James can put up numbers, Boozer can too, and we all know Jamison always puts up good numbers. My guess is next year, James and Boozer combined will average about 40ppg and if you add Jamison to that you have some good offense especially when you consider the FG% Jamison had this year and Boozer's. They even have a legit center. This would sure make them a lot closer to Eastern conference contenders.
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 04:16 PM   #5
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks MFF. I hadn't seen that rumor yet.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 04:18 PM   #6
dashthemavfan13

dashthemavfan13 is on a distinguished road

I spoke to Jonathan Givony this afternoon, and he told me that from a source inside the Mavs, that they Mavs were really looking to trade into the first round, if not to get Okafor, but to try and knab Ramos like the article said. Although, that trade proposal was just one of his ideas, and not anything legit that he heard himself.
dashthemavfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 06:14 PM   #7
cheesestar
Golden Member

cheesestar will become famous soon enough

what about sending walker for the pick and a less talented guy?
cheesestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 08:08 PM   #8
bcrav4
Golden Member

bcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to all

I really hope we get him, maybe we can work out a deal. A good size market in Dallas and tons of starters minutes!!!
"They better not put me in the All-Star Game. I won't shoot, but I'll dominate that easy game. I'll be playing hard defense. I'll be foulin'. I'll be flagrant fouling. Everyone will be like, 'What are you doing?'" -- Ron Artest.
bcrav4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 08:58 PM   #9
ddh33
Platinum Member

ddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant future

I like Ramos a lot more than some of the other more publicized big men in this draft. Obviously, his height is a great plus, but I like the reports that he is a hard worker who loves the game (assuming those are true).

I will say that I believe that Dallas is wanting to get a young big man this year. Ramos could be it. Of course, so could any number of guys...
ddh33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 09:42 PM   #10
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

I think it'll only be worth it if we were to:

1. Include Fortson/Najera in the "trade"

2. Get somebody else from that team, preferably Wagner.

Something that bothers me a little about this whole thing is, what else could/would the Mavs do after this?
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 10:02 PM   #11
cheesestar
Golden Member

cheesestar will become famous soon enough

is this before or after we resign nash and daniels?
cheesestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 10:12 PM   #12
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all

Anyone have a profile on this guy?
Old 05-31-2004, 10:20 PM   #13
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

This is under the assumption that Dallas also resigns Nash and Daniels.

Here's the lineup after all this happens:

Nash/Daniels
Finley/Howard
Walker/???/TAW
Dirk/Najera/Fortson
Battie/Bradley/Ramos

For the past couple of years, we've had designated scorers to come off the bench in Jamison and Van Exel. We won't have that anymore. Howard would give you a few slashes and some hustle points, and Daniels isn't ready to be a designated scorer. Since we don't have a designated scorer, our all around depth will have to be a little bit better.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Old 05-31-2004, 10:38 PM   #14
mavs413
Golden Member

mavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: Simon2
From NbaDraft.net

Peter John Ramos
Birthdate: 5/13/85
NBA Position: Center
Ht: 7-4
Wt: 260
Int Team: Criollos de Caguas
Hometown: Fajardo, Puerto Rico

Strengths: Ramos has become a true prospect. His improvement from 2003 to 2004 has simply been amazing. Has a nice post up game showing a decent arsenal that includes a jump hook and a step away shot. He can also hit the outside shots and more importantly, Ramos looks to be more comfortable both on and off the court. He's showing leadership skills with his Pro Team (Criollos de Caguas) in the Puerto Rican Summer League. (considered the best league in Latin America) Ramos is also a good passer and is able to find the open man when receiving a double team. Considering that he is only 18, his body is filling out and he will eventually add at least 25 more pounds. Ramos is an athletic center for his height and is able to run up and down the court without any problem. Stamina is excellent. Has very good potential.
Weaknesses: Due to his age and lack of experience, Ramos is still a project that will require patience. The team that drafts Ramos should not expect contribution right away, it will take at least a year to adapt to the NBA style, especially on the defensive end. He still has question marks about his mental makeup and whether he has the discipline to adapt to the NBA. There are some question marks whether he has giantism like Pavel, as he has the same facial features. (But nothing has been documented, so this is purely a rumor.) Defensively needs to work on his positioning. Needs to become a better rebounder, although he has improved in that area. He is now blocking shots just because of his height, but must improve on his timing and maintaining his arms in a defensive position. Not a huge leaper, but has size. At times seems to take breaks during the game, and this is definitely the area he has to work most on. It's a matter of time before he becomes a good free throw shooter. His free throw percentage, which at this point is at 55%, but should improve as he continues to mature.

Notes: Ramos is averaging 20.4 pts, 9.6 rebounds, 3.5 assists and a league leading 2.3 blocks. He has faced some tough competition against players such as Richard Lugo, Lee Benson, Anthony Bonner, Junior Burrough Kitwana Rhymer and the legendary Jose Ortiz. Played in NYC until the age of 16 and was a top 20 player in his class, but didn't grow into his body and gain the agility he has now until he was 17-18.
mavs413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 11:03 PM   #15
bcrav4
Golden Member

bcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to all

MOST teams don't have consistent bench scoring....I would really like the Cav's chances with Jamison. They couldn't really double LJ or Boozer anymore, their rebounding would go up, their points in the paint, and their fast break points. This team would be much more dangerous in the East...kinda like Miami. Good trade for both teams, we finally get a Center solution that Nellie would have 2 play!!!

Can you imagine the Mavs holding a lead late in games, b/c they can pass it down to SOMEONE who will post up and get easy baskets in the paint???? At least I can dream can't I?

Also do you think #10 pick is high enough to secure Ramos, hopefully he won't move up 2 much after workouts. (Lottery teams need immediate help and a possible star).
"They better not put me in the All-Star Game. I won't shoot, but I'll dominate that easy game. I'll be playing hard defense. I'll be foulin'. I'll be flagrant fouling. Everyone will be like, 'What are you doing?'" -- Ron Artest.
Old 05-31-2004, 11:04 PM   #16
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Nash/Daniels
Finley/Howard
Walker/???/TAW
Dirk/Najera/Fortson
Battie/Bradley/Ramos
I've started preparing myself that Walker will be in a Mavs uniform until the February trade deadline. If that's the case and the Jamison trade goes through (or something similar), Walker will have to come off the bench.

Too many here are hoping that we're going to unload all our garbage this summer. Finley, Walker, Fortson, Delk, even TAW and somehow turn that into Chandler, the #3 pick, and McGrady. I don't see it happening at all. I do believe some trade will happen and it'll be along the lines of this rumored Jamison deal.

I'd plug Howard into the starting lineup instead of Walker. And hope that whatever money is left over from resigning Daniels will be enough to sign Ostertag as well.
Old 05-31-2004, 11:48 PM   #17
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: MavsFanFinley
Quote:

Nash/Daniels
Finley/Howard
Walker/???/TAW
Dirk/Najera/Fortson
Battie/Bradley/Ramos
I've started preparing myself that Walker will be in a Mavs uniform until the February trade deadline. If that's the case and the Jamison trade goes through (or something similar), Walker will have to come off the bench.

Too many here are hoping that we're going to unload all our garbage this summer. Finley, Walker, Fortson, Delk, even TAW and somehow turn that into Chandler, the #3 pick, and McGrady. I don't see it happening at all. I do believe some trade will happen and it'll be along the lines of this rumored Jamison deal.

I'd plug Howard into the starting lineup instead of Walker. And hope that whatever money is left over from resigning Daniels will be enough to sign Ostertag as well.
how terribly realistic of you MFF...shame....shame on you! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 12:26 AM   #18
ddh33
Platinum Member

ddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant future

It would be hilarious and ironic to see Walker brought back next season and Jamison shipped out. There would be a lot of upset people here. Of course, MT would have to come and rub it all in too [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

How's this for all you conspiracy theorists though? What if Jamison wants to go somewhere where he can have a bigger role and Walker wants to stay even if he has a lesser role? So far, we're half-way there. Walker wants to stay...
ddh33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 12:28 AM   #19
Nash13
Diamond Member

bcrav4, I think Dallas needs a instant scorer for a couple of reason. One is because our team doesn't play very well with 2 of the big 3 off the court. Another reason is because of our overall depth. No one on our bench except Jamison can consistently score, which needs to happen if Dallas wants to win. I feel if we had a better back up PF, we'd be good to go.

MFF, i've come to that same realization, which is part of the reason why i mentioned that Walker/Howard for Brand/Ely trade. He's not going anywhere unless it's a blockbuster trade. Danny Ainge is looking smarter and smarter.

~The Salesman
Old 06-01-2004, 12:30 AM   #20
basketball jonessss

basketball jonessss is on a distinguished road

Finley and Fortson are not garbage. Fin should start at SG and get Fortson on the floor. Trade Walker for case of cokes and a bag of beans.
Old 06-01-2004, 01:19 AM   #21
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

I would love to see a move that forces Dirk to take a more demanding offensive role next season.....and if that means shipping out FInley(if you can move that contract) and walker(dear Lord please) and even AJ(who i really like) then I do it....Dirk needs 20-24 shots a game and a big man to protect his weak defense....resign Nash and you have an improved team....just dont let him sit in the corner waiting to shoot threes NELLIE! force feed him the ball!
so my two cents...the big three have failed...in the past, its the "big twos" who win the rings!

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 10:20 AM   #22
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Nash13
This is under the assumption that Dallas also resigns Nash and Daniels.

Nash/Daniels
Finley/Howard
Walker/???/TAW
Dirk/Najera/Fortson
Battie/Bradley/Ramos

For the past couple of years, we've had designated scorers to come off the bench in Jamison and Van Exel. We won't have that anymore. Howard would give you a few slashes and some hustle points, and Daniels isn't ready to be a designated scorer. Since we don't have a designated scorer, our all around depth will have to be a little bit better.
Don't forget Tony Delk!!

chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 10:23 AM   #23
Stressboy

Stressboy is a jewel in the roughStressboy is a jewel in the roughStressboy is a jewel in the rough

Ramos was in the Global games last year and although he looked smooth around the basket, he looked lethargic and lazy a great deal of the time. At 7-4 he is worth taking a chance on, but there are probably better players in the top 10.
Stressboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 10:32 AM   #24
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Here is Chad Ford, talking about his draft stock:

What about Ramos? There isn't a player on the draft board who is more difficult to project right now than Puerto Rico's Peter John Ramos. For the past two months he has been dominating the Puerto Rican league and putting on an offensive show for NBA scouts and GMs. All have walked away impressed with the 7-foot-3, 280-pound 18-year-old. One GM told Insider he believes Ramos will be a top-10 pick.

Why then, is he projected at No. 28 in Insider's mock? A couple of reasons. To start, every team I talked with likes Ramos, but few love him. After seeing what happened to Maciej Lampe last season, we're a bit wary. Lampe was told by a number of teams holding picks 5 through 10 that he was one of the top two or three players on their boards. He ended up slipping all the way out of the first round. That's a possible scenario for Ramos, who, for many teams, came onto the scene just two months ago.

Also, every team I talked to has real concerns about attitude and off-court issues. Ramos' agent, Andrew Vye, insists there is nothing of concern. Any problems Ramos had were in the past, and at 18, he certainly has the potential to mature. Some have questioned his devotion, but coach Billy Bayno, who has worked with him in Puerto Rico the past few weeks, claims Ramos has a phenomenal work ethic and is a quick learner.

However, the perception is there -- especially among scouts who have been tracking Ramos longer. Those notions tend to weigh heavily on draft night. If Ramos slips out of the lottery, it's conceivable all the teams from 15 to 28 could pass. They all have other pressing needs, and the few teams in the group that do need a big man may opt for a more experienced player who can help them win now. I wouldn't be surprised if Ramos ended up a lottery pick, but the second half of the first round is much more plausible.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 06:08 PM   #25
bcrav4
Golden Member

hmmm.....good point by Insider. But, I'm willing to take a chance on this guy, and I'm betting that so is Cuban.
Old 06-01-2004, 06:11 PM   #26
bcrav4
Golden Member

Sorry about double post!

But, I don't think that the Mavs would trade for him w/o giving him a workout. Have teams traded up on draft day before without taking the guy in for a private workout??? Also, are all private workouts announced or could the Mavs have Ramos doing sprints as we speak?
Old 06-01-2004, 09:21 PM   #27
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all

Thanks. THe guy looks interesting. After the great draft last year, I think I trust the Mavs this year in whoever they get. That would be a great draft if the Mavs get this guy.

Quote:
Originally posted by: mavs413
Quote:
Originally posted by: Simon2
From NbaDraft.net

Peter John Ramos
Birthdate: 5/13/85
NBA Position: Center
Ht: 7-4
Wt: 260
Int Team: Criollos de Caguas
Hometown: Fajardo, Puerto Rico

Strengths: Ramos has become a true prospect. His improvement from 2003 to 2004 has simply been amazing. Has a nice post up game showing a decent arsenal that includes a jump hook and a step away shot. He can also hit the outside shots and more importantly, Ramos looks to be more comfortable both on and off the court. He's showing leadership skills with his Pro Team (Criollos de Caguas) in the Puerto Rican Summer League. (considered the best league in Latin America) Ramos is also a good passer and is able to find the open man when receiving a double team. Considering that he is only 18, his body is filling out and he will eventually add at least 25 more pounds. Ramos is an athletic center for his height and is able to run up and down the court without any problem. Stamina is excellent. Has very good potential.
Weaknesses: Due to his age and lack of experience, Ramos is still a project that will require patience. The team that drafts Ramos should not expect contribution right away, it will take at least a year to adapt to the NBA style, especially on the defensive end. He still has question marks about his mental makeup and whether he has the discipline to adapt to the NBA. There are some question marks whether he has giantism like Pavel, as he has the same facial features. (But nothing has been documented, so this is purely a rumor.) Defensively needs to work on his positioning. Needs to become a better rebounder, although he has improved in that area. He is now blocking shots just because of his height, but must improve on his timing and maintaining his arms in a defensive position. Not a huge leaper, but has size. At times seems to take breaks during the game, and this is definitely the area he has to work most on. It's a matter of time before he becomes a good free throw shooter. His free throw percentage, which at this point is at 55%, but should improve as he continues to mature.

Notes: Ramos is averaging 20.4 pts, 9.6 rebounds, 3.5 assists and a league leading 2.3 blocks. He has faced some tough competition against players such as Richard Lugo, Lee Benson, Anthony Bonner, Junior Burrough Kitwana Rhymer and the legendary Jose Ortiz. Played in NYC until the age of 16 and was a top 20 player in his class, but didn't grow into his body and gain the agility he has now until he was 17-18.
Old 06-01-2004, 10:15 PM   #28
Day1MavsFan

Day1MavsFan is just really niceDay1MavsFan is just really niceDay1MavsFan is just really niceDay1MavsFan is just really niceDay1MavsFan is just really niceDay1MavsFan is just really nice

IMO this is just the kind of guy we need. Everybody keeps talking about needing a defensive-minded center. NO, we need a guy who can post up. That's what we don't have that teams like LA and SA have. How much better would all of our perimeter shooters look with a guy that can pass out of a double-team? Bruce Bown eat your heart out. We have a defensive-minded center, we don't need another. So long as he is adequate defensively, a post-up player is what would put us over the top.
I'd make that trade in a heartbeat.
Day1MavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 12:24 PM   #29
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

This guy looks really interesting and has shown evident signs that he can play which should boost his draft status higher than Pavel's who doesnt have the statistics to show for what he is capable of. I still think however, that Pavel's overall draft status will be very high after he works out in the Pre-draf, though at this point its a coin flip between the two.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 12:31 PM   #30
bcrav4
Golden Member

I heard on RealGM forums that Ramos injured his back, anybody know if that is true?
Old 06-02-2004, 12:59 PM   #31
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally posted by: bcrav4
I heard on RealGM forums that Ramos injured his back, anybody know if that is true?
I havent heard anything about that. According to the rumors you heard is the back injury very severe?

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 09:25 PM   #32
bcrav4
Golden Member

The last post says, that the team doesn't seem to be too worried about it, and that he should play in the next game. I guess I was hoping he wouldn't work out anymore so the Mavs don't have to get a top 5 pick to grab him.
Old 06-21-2004, 07:20 PM   #33
birdsanctuary
Platinum Member

birdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to all

I'd love to be making the call on the real deal with Ramos, but if the Mavs trade into the first round they will select the least expected candidate. Ramos would be a nice fit. I am really impressed with some of his offensive moves, and quickness. Is there any video footage of him on defense?

I really think we need to stay realistic on the whole Shaq/McGrady talk. All of this stuff is just talk, Shaq is probably going to stay in LA because of his ties to Payton and Malone. With Rudy T coming in, I'm willing to bet that by end of July Malone feels like giving it another go Payton is staying cause' after this year no ones giving him the kind of money he thinks he deserves anymore.

Listen everybody don't get your hopes up. Shaq and McGrady are probably staying where they are. If they wind up in a Mavs uniform, it will be by the grace of god or by the innerworkings of David Stern.
Old 06-21-2004, 07:24 PM   #34
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

is it just me, or from watching clips of ramos play, does he not strike you as a bigger lankier version of calvin booth?

if ramos falls into the end of the 1st rd and it doesnt cost too much, move up. otherwise pass.
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 07:29 PM   #35
birdsanctuary
Platinum Member

birdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to all

AX, watch him again, I'm not calling him the next coming, but he reminds me more of Duncan than Booth. However, remember that Booth made a very clutch basket back in 02 against UTAH.

Nbadraft.net

has Ramos going at the #20.
Old 06-21-2004, 07:47 PM   #36
Captain Disaster

Captain Disaster is a jewel in the roughCaptain Disaster is a jewel in the roughCaptain Disaster is a jewel in the rough

The latest rumor has McGrady going to Houston for Francis, Mobley, & ?
Captain Disaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 09:57 PM   #37
bcrav4
Golden Member

not quite Duncan =>>>>>> b/c Ramos=more athletic & no Defense.
Old 06-22-2004, 03:06 AM   #38
FineCubanCigar
Golden Member

FineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally posted by: bcrav4
Sorry about double post!

But, I don't think that the Mavs would trade for him w/o giving him a workout. Have teams traded up on draft day before without taking the guy in for a private workout??? Also, are all private workouts announced or could the Mavs have Ramos doing sprints as we speak?
we can't give him a private workout because he is traveling around the world with his porto rician team trying to qualify, he will be in the later part of the chicago camp, hopefully this will decrease his percieved value even furether.
Old 06-22-2004, 05:15 AM   #39
Poindexter Einstein
Golden Member

Poindexter Einstein will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by: birdsanctuary
All of this stuff is just talk, Shaq is probably going to stay in LA because of his ties to Payton and Malone.
Malone is gone - he has opted out and wont be back as a Laker. Jackson is gone too. Kobe is (reportedly) running the show now. The landscape in LA has changed drastically for Shaq.

Poindexter Einstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 03:58 PM   #40
bcrav4
Golden Member

Have the Mavs brought in any of the top picks in for a workout since they just got the #5 pick????