Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 09-08-2005, 08:32 AM   #1
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Agassi vs Blake: US Open

At 35 years young, Agassi produces a classic

By NANCY ARMOUR, AP National Writer
September 8, 2005

AP - Sep 8, 1:46 am EDT
More Photos

NEW YORK (AP) -- Andre Agassi bounded onto the court with the joyful grin of a child, his eyes wide as he soaked in the adoring cheers of the U.S. Open crowd.

At 35, he is ageless, his tennis a timeless classic.

Pushed to the edge of defeat by James Blake, Agassi responded with a match for the ages that rivals Jimmy Connors' legendary run to the U.S. Open semifinals at 39. Down two sets and a break, he took Blake to five sets, then survived a tiebreaker for a 3-6, 3-6, 6-3, 6-3, 7-6 (6) triumph that put him in the semis -- and two wins from the title he won in 1994 and '99.

When the match finally ended at 1:09 Thursday morning, Arthur Ashe Stadium was still full and fans at home were mesmerized, knowing they'd been treated to something rare.

``It's all a bit surreal,'' Agassi said. ``I get out there and I try to work and I come off the court and many times in my career I feel like it's been a dream. That's the way it feels here.''

He is the oldest Open semifinalist since Connors, and will now play unseeded American Robby Ginepri on Saturday. Ginepri outlasted Guillermo Coria in another five-set thriller.

``What Jimmy did was incredible,'' Agassi said. ``I've heard him talk about it as if it was the most meaningful thing to him. That certainly speaks volumes with a career like that. A match like tonight can add to your life, regardless of the titles on the line.''

An eight-time Grand Slam winner, Agassi has played better matches and had bigger comebacks. But on this stage, at this point in his career, he's never been more spectacular.

``I never feel great after a loss, but I guess it's about as good as I can feel. I fought my heart out. I did everything I could,'' Blake said. ``He just played too good for me at the end.''

Agassi was no match for Blake in the first two sets, humbled by the younger American's speed and precision. Every shot Blake hit found its mark, and time and again he raced across the court to save a ball that, for anyone else, would have been impossibly out of reach.

He got better with every point he played, while Agassi got worse. He looked every bit a 35-year-old trying to keep up with someone 10 years younger, rushing shots and spraying them long and wide.

When Blake broke Agassi to go up 3-2 in the third, it seemed as if a torch had been passed.

``He was really hitting the ball clean and big and making me feel like I was a step behind on all of my shots,'' Agassi said. ``I overreacted to that and started pressing too much and hitting too big just to try to hang with him a little bit. And I lost my rhythm.''

But Agassi is a master at resurrection. He won the French and U.S. Opens in 1999, two years after he'd fallen to No. 141. This year, he feared his career might be over when nerve pain from a herniated disc in his back led to a first-round loss at the French and forced him to skip Wimbledon.

AP - Sep 8, 1:46 am EDT
More Photos

He broke Blake for the first time since early in the second set with one of his patented gorgeous drop shots, then took the next three games. He settled back into his own game, running Blake all over the court from the baseline to wear him down, then pick him apart with sneaky drop shots.

``James is a guy that runs on high octane,'' Agassi said. ``He's a fighter jet. He burns the fuel fast and furious, and he's gotten much better with that over the years. But he plays so big and he's so fast that if an edge does come off, it's a big relief. ... When he comes down into just warp speed, it gives you a little breath of life.''

Blake slowed in the fourth set, and the precision he had early faded. But the American didn't endure the personal tragedies he did last summer to simply give up.

Blake broke his neck in a freak accident while practicing at a tournament in Rome in May 2004. Two months later, his father died of cancer. And a week after that, he got a severe case of shingles that left part of his face temporarily paralyzed.

``I've matured a little. I think I learned that a little while ago, but now it's translating to my game,'' Blake said. ``Now I know that I can play pretty darn good tennis.''

He cranked up his intensity again in the fifth set, breaking Agassi for a 3-2 lead with a ferocious forehand winner. Agassi got the break back and put the pressure on Blake to force the tiebreaker. He did -- with a 118 mph ace.

Agassi finally put an end to the duel after 2 hours, 51 minutes, with a forehand winner that smacked the sideline.

``Your heart drops a little. You feel that in your stomach, once you realize it's over,'' Blake said. ``You've got to just walk up there and congratulate Andre. That's all I could do, is think about how proud I am and move on.''

Blake and Agassi exchanged a hug at the net. Blake then went back to his chair, burying his head in a towel while Agassi went back onto the court to celebrate.

``Everyone keeps asking when he's going to retire,'' Blake said. ``He has no reason to retire. He's one of the best in the world, still chasing Grand Slams. If he's still enjoying it and still finding ways to motivate himself, I say let him play forever.''

Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-2005, 08:37 AM   #2
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Agassi vs Blake: US Open

I watched this entire match, (not to mention watching Davenport choke to a person who serves worse than me), and it was one of the best I have watched... The atmosphere in NY was great and that 5th set was unbelievable. When Agassi was down 5-4 and Blake was serving I thought it was over, but man can Agassi return!!!

I know he will make the finals playing his fellow countryman in the semis... I just don't think he can beat the guy from the other side of the bracket in the finals, (Hewitt/Federer)!

Either way, great Open so far.
Old 09-08-2005, 08:40 AM   #3
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Agassi vs Blake: US Open

Federer is just unbelievable. He's perhaps the best player that I've ever seen when he's on the top of his game.
Old 09-08-2005, 08:43 AM   #4
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah... It truly is unfair to the other guys how good he is. I mean seriously, the guy has the rare opportunity to knock Samprass down from his perch as the greatest tennis player ever, (and that is for those that think he is - if you go with Conners/Bjorg/Lendl than knock them down).

Agassi has lost like 6 straight matches to him and I am hoping the US Open finals would be a good place to knock the guy down a rung or so but I doubt it... Maybe Hewitt will take him down but even then I see Hewitt bringing the trophy back to the aussies!
Old 09-08-2005, 08:52 AM   #5
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

I know I am getting ahead of myself with the other bracket, but I would bet you a good bit of money that Nalbandian and Nieminen are about as good of a lock for the US Open semis as I am.
Old 09-08-2005, 09:04 AM   #6
rakesh.s
Golden Member

rakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of light

Agassi will get crushed by Federer, so this doesn't really matter.

James Blake should've won the match yesterday. He had some silly errors in the last tiebreaker.
rakesh.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 09:46 AM   #7
Murphy3
Guru

Agassi never really got into a groove. About two and a half sets into it, he was able to start playing some decent tennis...but, Agassi wasn't at his best. When I say at his best, I don't mean his best from his prime. I'm saying that he didn't even play very well compared to how he normally plays even at the age of 35. But, he found a way....
Old 09-08-2005, 10:06 AM   #8
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

like i told my friends last night, it was the best match ive witnessed in my lifetime

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 10:30 AM   #9
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: rakesh.s
Agassi will get crushed by Federer, so this doesn't really matter.

James Blake should've won the match yesterday. He had some silly errors in the last tiebreaker.

Careful with the GET CRUSHED comment. Agassi has been beat pretty easily by Federer, but you are talking about one of the best tennis players ever. Even at 35 he can put together a great match against anyone.
Old 09-08-2005, 05:57 PM   #10
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Great match. Tremendously entertaining and fun, even if I have witnessed better (the first of the two Agassi/Rafter Wimbledon five-setters remains tops in my own memories - which is saying something since Agassi lost).

Federer's a freak. I absolutely agree, he's the best I've ever seen, though he's not looked as unbeatable thus far at this Open as he has in the past. I can only hope he and Hewitt beat the crap out of each other on Saturday and that Agassi has an easy go of it against Ginepri so he'll be fresh. I'd really love to see Andre get another slam, especially this one.
Old 09-08-2005, 06:37 PM   #11
OzMavs
Platinum Member

OzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud of

Hewitt takes out Niemenen after trailing 2 sets to 1. Federer/ Nalbandian just getting underway. I think it would benefit Agassi and probably tennis in general if Nalbandian was to take Federer out. But the thing is, I want to see Federer be the best that ever has been, and take all the records before him.

But, I agree, I want to see Agassi win at least one more title. I consider the guy an honorary Aussie for all the grace and respect he brings to the game of tennis and to people who follow tennis. I can't think of anyone else who emodies the word champion better than Agassi. It will be a sad day when he retires and we can't see him playing the Australian Open anymore.

I'll buy you a drink: HERE

NOW WITH FREE REP WITH EVERY DRINK!!
OzMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 09:19 PM   #12
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

i hope agassi leaves new york with a us open win and a great ending to his storybook career.

Contact Me
Old 09-08-2005, 11:49 PM   #13
Murphy3
Guru

I think Federer's only lost 19 sets all year...... He's amazing.
Old 09-09-2005, 06:32 AM   #14
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Male23Dan
I know I am getting ahead of myself with the other bracket, but I would bet you a good bit of money that Nalbandian and Nieminen are about as good of a lock for the US Open semis as I am.
Told ya!
Old 09-09-2005, 06:42 AM   #15
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

By the way, did anyone else here Federer's little snide comment about having two americans in the semis of the US Open? It was something like "That doesn't happen every day and you better enjoy it while you can." The entire stadium made a bit of a rumble and some booed and then cheered like crazy after the interview.

I guess he thinks he has game or something... Go figure!
Old 09-09-2005, 07:50 AM   #16
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Quote:
Told ya!
You weren't exactly going out on a limb.
Old 09-09-2005, 08:10 AM   #17
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Murphy3
Quote:
Quote:
Told ya!
You weren't exactly going out on a limb.
How is giving myself better odds than the guys playing in the Quarters not going out on a limb? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-09-2005, 09:13 AM   #18
mnmpeanut

mnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to all

stayed up here on the east coast and watched the entire match (then groaned loudly when the alarm went off at 5:15). great match, felt bad for blake. you could just see him tightening up, then he'd play a few points wonderfully, then i think the pressure got to him.

i love night tennis at the open. something about the lights and the crowd just make it special. there have been some great matches this year that usa (and us viewers) have been fortunate enough to catch - agassi / blake, coria / ginepri, and, from an entertainment standpoint, my personal favorite, sanguinetti / srichiphan.
Old 09-10-2005, 01:04 PM   #19
alby
Guru

a set a piece for andre and robbie

another 5 setter?

Contact Me
Old 09-10-2005, 01:48 PM   #20
alby
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: alby
a set a piece for andre and robbie

another 5 setter?
yup.

Contact Me
Old 09-10-2005, 02:16 PM   #21
Murphy3
Guru

I'm impressed with Ginepri's depth...
Old 09-10-2005, 07:33 PM   #22
alby
Guru

not good enough..

agassi vs federer

dont miss it

Contact Me
Old 09-10-2005, 08:19 PM   #23
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Why are we talking about tennis in the Other Sports forum? We all know tennis isn't a real sport.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 08:33 PM   #24
alby
Guru

umm.. okay

Contact Me
Old 09-10-2005, 08:50 PM   #25
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: Drbio
Why are we talking about tennis in the Other Sports forum? We all know tennis isn't a real sport.
I suppose you're going to tell us that Baylor football is a sport?
Old 09-10-2005, 09:10 PM   #26
alby
Guru

what are you talking about, baylor is an excellent sports school..

i mean, they got girls basketball

Contact Me
Old 09-10-2005, 10:22 PM   #27
Drbio
Banned

The worst Baylor sport is a thousand times more interesting than tennis.

Getting a rise out of murph is like shooting fish in a barrel. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

By the way...in addiiton to Baylor's national championship in womens hoops....they also won the 2004 NCAA tennis national championship and finished 2nd this year. Not that tennis counts as a sport though.
Old 09-11-2005, 01:26 AM   #28
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Would this be on a par with Nicklaus winning the Masters in '86?
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 09:11 AM   #29
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Murphy3
Quote:
Originally posted by: Drbio
I suppose you're going to tell us that Baylor football is a sport?
H-I-L-A-R-I-O-U-S!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-11-2005, 09:20 AM   #30
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: chumdawg
Would this be on a par with Nicklaus winning the Masters in '86?
....closer to on par with The Miracle on Ice than the Nicklaus Masters in '86.

Agassi's 35 with a bad back...way past his prime AND playing perhaps the best player in the history of the sport.

It definitely wouldn't be on par with the Miracle on Ice, but I'd say it's closer to that than what you mentioned....mostly because of the giant that he's going up against.
Old 09-11-2005, 11:19 AM   #31
alby
Guru

many would argue agassi IS in his prime

which is just plain amazing.

go andre

Contact Me
Old 09-11-2005, 12:20 PM   #32
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: alby
many would argue agassi IS in his prime

which is just plain amazing.

go andre
Who would argue this?

I have never heard anyone say this.
Old 09-11-2005, 12:36 PM   #33
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

I remember what Agassi played like in his prime, and he's not at that level anymore. Which is fine, because I don't think it's any less amazing that a guy could be so far past his prime yet still be a force in a sport that tends to expose the failings of age like tennis does.
Old 09-11-2005, 12:53 PM   #34
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: grndmstr_c
I remember what Agassi played like in his prime, and he's not at that level anymore. Which is fine, because I don't think it's any less amazing that a guy could be so far past his prime yet still be a force in a sport that tends to expose the failings of age like tennis does.
I can agree. I suppose you could argue that he was at or near his prime from 1999 to early 2003. He won 5 of his grand slams during that time span. It's a shame that he wasn't more successful earlier in his career...kinda wasted a little bit of his talent. Instead of 8 slams, he might be sitting with 10-12 slams or so.
Old 09-11-2005, 01:12 PM   #35
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

There is that argument. I do agree if he would have applied himself at a younger age he would almost certainly have picked up another few slams. I can't look at the way he handles himself now, and has handled himself over the course of the last 6-7 years, though, and bring myself to think that he's wasted anything.
Old 09-11-2005, 01:38 PM   #36
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: grndmstr_c
There is that argument. I do agree if he would have applied himself at a younger age he would almost certainly have picked up another few slams. I can't look at the way he handles himself now, and has handled himself over the course of the last 6-7 years, though, and bring myself to think that he's wasted anything.
...opportunities at a younger age....

But, the guy has had an amazing career. I'm sure he probably regrets not putting more into tennis at a younger age...I would if I were in his shoes. But he's more than made up for it.
Old 09-11-2005, 01:50 PM   #37
Drbio
Banned

Agassi's prime was during the early Sampras years. Those guys were the last two reasons to watch professional tennis.
Old 09-11-2005, 01:57 PM   #38
alby
Guru

i was referring to the last part of his career as a whole, his athletic prime should have been from his early to mid 20s in the tennis world. yet his prime actually came after turning 30 years old which is only a testament to his greatness..

Contact Me
Old 09-11-2005, 01:59 PM   #39
alby
Guru

if he applied himself or reach his potential at an early age, we wouldnt see the greatness that is andre today..

Contact Me
Old 09-11-2005, 02:03 PM   #40
Drbio
Banned

The thing that bugs me about Agassi is that he dumped Brooke Shields in favor of Steffugly Graf. What the hell was he thinking?