Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 01-21-2005, 01:29 PM   #1
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all
Default When Marquis comes back, will it mess things up?

Right now, I think the rotation is set and perfect for the distribution of minutes.

At Point, its Terry, Harris and Armstrong
At SG, its Fin, Stack
At SF, Howard then Fin or Stack
At PF, Dirk then Hendu
At Center, Dampier, Bradley, Booth or Benga

I hope when Daniels comes back, he won't take anytime away from the pgs and he will get most of his minutes in the SG or SF position. Daniels is not a pg. What do you guys think?

or Daniels and Terry can take the guard spots in situations. I like this too because both are great defenders.
Old 01-21-2005, 01:34 PM   #2
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: When Marquis comes back, will it mess things up?

no
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 02:12 PM   #3
JLEEHASMUCHGAME

JLEEHASMUCHGAME will become famous soon enoughJLEEHASMUCHGAME will become famous soon enough

Simon says:
I hope when Daniels comes back, he won't take anytime away from the pgs and he will get most of his minutes in the SG or SF position. Daniels is not a pg. What do you guys think?

I says:
I agree. Not because I don't like Daniels at the PG postion, I think the mavs could possibly benefit from having him there from time to time, BUT the mavs need to focus on developing Terry, Harris, and to some extent Armstrong at the PG so I hope that Daniels does stay in the 2-3 rotation. I doubt Daniels coming back will mess things up. A healthy Daniels is both exceptional defensively and explosive offensively - imo. I think, when healthy, Daniels' defense will prove invaluable to a team so dependent on josh howard, as EL's sig suggests. If he remains gimpy, he still can give the mavs a pretty solid rotational player.
JLEEHASMUCHGAME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 02:21 PM   #4
endtroducing
Golden Member

endtroducing is on a distinguished road
Default RE:When Marquis comes back, will it mess things up?

Daniels and Stackhouse can score whenever they want against a second unit...he'll be a huge weapon near the end of quarters. if he gets the ball in the post, it's 2.
Old 01-21-2005, 02:44 PM   #5
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

It's a fair question.

This team appears to be a consistent 20-30 game stretch of a steady rotation away from being a pretty serious threat in the playoffs. Ideally, that rotation involves 3 swingmen at the 2-3 spot. However, I think the Mavs CAN make it work. In my opinion, Daniels should be worked slowly back into the rotation whenever it is that he actually returns, with a goal of having a rotation that starts Finley and Howard but divides up minutes among the 4 depending upon who is playing well.

That's easier said than done, but that would be the ideal situation. However, it would not be surprising at all to see Daniels come back and take about 10-12 PG minutes so that Nellie can get Daniels and Stackhouse around 25 mpg each. I'm not in favor of that, but it wouldn't be surprising.
Old 01-21-2005, 02:47 PM   #6
samoan-maverick

samoan-maverick is on a distinguished road

The more the better seeing that Fin and Stack are old, Quis can fill up the minutes they'll need a breather or if Finley and Stack decide to go into construction and start building houses out of bricks.

NO
Old 01-21-2005, 03:31 PM   #7
The Miles

The Miles is on a distinguished road

I say yes.

I just don't see how he fits in right now. He isn't better than any of the three swingmen above him IMO and there is absolutely no reason he should ever play any PG again, he just isn't good at it, he is a SG with handles, not a PG with size.

I am with KG_Veteran, I would work him in slowly and he would definitely be the 4th SG/SF and insurance in case one of the main three go down. When all four are healthy, there is no way he can get 25 mpg without Devin or Henderson losing minutes and I am totally against that.

"When you (Coach Johnson) get behind your players like that it’s something special. He’s the general and we are soldiers, you go out there and want to lay it all on the line…that’s the type of situation I wanted to be in."-Doug Christie
The Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 03:36 PM   #8
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

I don't see Daniels as the 4th best, but the other three are good enough that Daniels won't take their minutes unless he earns them, and Terry/Harris are developing into a very potent PG combo. I don't want to see that broken up.

Old 01-21-2005, 03:46 PM   #9
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Daniels VS. Stack is a tough choice. Stack seems to be the better offensive player but I don't think anyone would argue that Daniels is the better defender. Stack seems in full steam for 6th man of the year. I'd say for the first 5-10 games Daniels will be more for a defensive assignment then a main piece. After that, who knows.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 03:59 PM   #10
Poindexter Einstein
Golden Member

Poindexter Einstein will become famous soon enough

Daniels has a world of talent. But I abhor the way Nellie uses him. I hate him being used as a PG, ever - in my opinion, it weakens the team dramatically.
Poindexter Einstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 04:08 PM   #11
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Poindexter Einstein
Daniels has a world of talent. But I abhor the way Nellie uses him. I hate him being used as a PG, ever - in my opinion, it weakens the team dramatically.
and all God's people said: "Amen!"
let the guy play tough D and be on the scoring end of a play and all is right in the world....but put the ball in his hands and you have blown fastbreak after blown break...(look out, here comes C with his per48 minutes stats.....)

at least at this point in his career, he's no point.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 04:52 PM   #12
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Daniels, Stackhouse, Finley

all are guys that can rack up assists in the right circumstances, but none of them should be running the point. Ever.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote