Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 10-30-2004, 10:40 PM   #1
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all
Default Baylor takes A&M to OT

Thought I'd put this on here where Doc could brag later..........Win or Lose.
This would be a HUGE win for Baylor, and a Devasting loss for A&M.

27-27 going to OT
Old 10-30-2004, 10:45 PM   #2
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Baylor takes A&M to OT

An A&M win would kill Utah's BCS hopes. That's Utah's only quality win and a 3-loss A&M team wouldn't help the Utes much in the computer rankings. Of course I'm assuming they'll lose to OU and UT.
Old 10-30-2004, 10:48 PM   #3
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all
Default RE: Baylor takes A&M to OT

I think Baylor went for 2 in over time and won 35-34 WOW
Old 10-30-2004, 10:50 PM   #4
Just211
Platinum Member

yep A&M scored in 1st OT to make it 34-27, then Baylor came back and scored, but went for 2 to take the win. Now that took some BALLS.
Old 10-31-2004, 01:26 AM   #5
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

OH HELL YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That was the seriosuly the best college football game I have ever witnessed. That was two teams that just plain got after it and beat each other to a pulp for the entire game. The crowd was electric and the A&M Folks brought what looked like 10-15 thousand fans. Every timet he A&M fans would yell (and it was damn loud to their credit) the Baylor folks would respond. The teams played their hearts out. What a game!

The Aggie band was great...really impressive. Down 3-13 at the half, the Bears walked off the field with a swagger. The crowd noticed. These young men knew they were in a football game. I will admit that I thought it was over after we tied the game at 20 and A&M drove about 90 yards to score a touchdaown in about 4 plays.

The Bears never gave in. Shwan Bell threw 50 fricking passes....50! He tossed four touchdowns including the last in overtime. Baylor lined up for the extra point in the OT and then the sideline called a timeout. It was clear....we were going for two.

The crowd in full panic and expecting the worst, stood as one to back their Bears. The A&M fans were deafening loud. The play seemed to last for ten minutes. Bell rolled to his right and hit the winner for the Bears.

I can't talk. My voice gone. Students, employees, hell everybody just flooded the field. It was an awesome sight. The goalposts never had a chance and fell basically immediately. The last time I saw the goal posts, they were being passed over the wall out of the stadium. Someone told me the students were carrying them back to campus miles and miles away. Awesome.

I stayed in my seats for twenty minutes watching the celebration. It was awesome. I give the Ags fans a ton of props. They were for the most part very congratulatory even though stunned. It was a great thing.

THE BEARS WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As we finally made our way out of the stadium, I saw smiles and heard yells everywhere. People were hugging each other, patting each other on the back, high fiving, everything. It was awesome. So amazingly awesome.

One more note regarding aggie fans. I took my boys to a local Sonic after the game for a cherry limeaid and onion rings. Parked next to us was a carload of disappointed aggies. My boys and I were whooping it up and high fiving still excited. I didn't see them at first, but a 10-14 year old boy next to me yelled over..."Mister....nice game tonight." His dad smiling gave us a thumbs up. I wished the Ags well for the rest of the year and returned the thumbs up. What a classy response from the Ag fans tonight. I was very impressed. I saw a few ag fans act poorly, but to be fair there were probably some bear fans acting up too. BUT...what I saw tonight was pure class from both sides after what is easily the best college football game that I have ever witnessed in my life.

Totally awesome! The first win over A&M since 1985. First the Red Sox hammer the yanks...now this. I love this country and I love my BAYLOR BEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!

SIC 'EM BEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 01:28 AM   #6
Drbio
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by: Just211
yep A&M scored in 1st OT to make it 34-27, then Baylor came back and scored, but went for 2 to take the win. Now that took some BALLS.
Man no kidding. But, the Bears had been marching offensively all night and to be frank, the Aggies couldn't stop them much. Coach Morris didn't flinch. The kicking team ran out on the field, but he was yelling for two the whole way. He called timeout, sent them in and won the game. Balls? Absolutely.

It was amazing!
Old 10-31-2004, 01:43 AM   #7
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

I think Doc had a good time.

Congratulations to the Bears!

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 01:43 AM   #8
Drbio
Banned

WACO, Texas -- Baylor coach Guy Morriss gathered his players around him, took a look at his weary bunch and went with the only decision that made sense to him.

The Bears had to end the game, win or lose, with a 2-point conversion.

"I had a gut feeling that it was right thing to do at that point to drive the nail in the coffin," Morriss said. "We wanted to teach our kids how to drop the hammer on someone."

Did they ever.

Shawn Bell found Dominique Zeigler in the end zone for the winning score a play after they connected on a 12-yard touchdown pass, lifting Baylor to a 35-34 overtime victory over No. 16 Texas A&M on Saturday night.

After Texas A&M's Keith Joseph scored on a 16-yard touchdown run on the first possession of overtime, Bell and Zeigler led the Bears (3-5, 1-4 Big 12) to the stunning finish.

Bell completed a pass for no gain on the Bears' first play, Anthony Krieg rushed for 13 yards on second down and then Bell rolled out to his right before finding Zeigler just inside the goal line.

Morriss boldly decided to go for the 2-point conversion, hoping to catch the Aggies (6-2, 4-1) by surprise.

The call stunned even Zeigler, who missed the huddle because he was getting treated for leg cramps on the bench.

"I didn't even know we were going for two," he said. "All of a sudden they said, 'Get in Ziggy. We're going for two.'"

It worked to perfection.

Baylor ran the same play again, with Bell scrambling around to his right looking for anyone in a green jersey. He zipped a pass to Zeigler just in front of A&M defensive back Melvin Bullitt for the score, setting off a wild celebration at a school that's had few things to party about in recent years.

Gold and green-clad students stormed the field, quickly taking down the goal posts in the south end zone and carrying them up and out of Floyd Casey Stadium. Loud music blared over the stadium speakers -- oddly fitting at a Baptist university that didn't allow dances on campus until eight years ago -- and a mosh pit formed on the field.

"Beating A&M was very sweet," Baylor linebacker Justin Crooks said. "I can't describe how we feel. We can hardly believe it."

Said Bell: "I've never met anyone who said they beat A&M the last time."

A&M players and fans watched the improbable scene in utter disbelief -- the Aggies had won the last 13 games against their overmatched rival, including a 73-10 rout at College Station last year.

"The coach had been telling them all week ... to remember last season," A&M quarterback Reggie McNeal said. "I knew they were going to come out this week and play one of their best games."

Baylor also ended an 11-game skid in the Big 12 and beat a ranked opponent for the first time since 1998, a 33-30 victory over 20th-ranked North Carolina State. The Bears are 38-143-5 against Top 25 teams.

This was an especially sweet night for Baylor after allowing a touchdown in the final minute of a 26-25 loss to Iowa State last week. Not to mention the years of futility against Texas A&M and nearly every other team in the Big 12 since the league formed in 1996.

With the win, Baylor improved to 6-63 in Big 12 play.

Playing in relief of injured starter Dane King, Bell came through with a remarkable performance in his first start since the final two games of last season.

The sophomore from nearby China Spring completed 32-of-50 passes for 262 yards and four touchdowns, two to Zeigler, who caught 12 passes for 121 yards.

"Our guys have always had confidence in Shawn," Morriss said. "He's a good leader and extremely composed in games like this. He handled that like an old veteran."

The loss takes much of the steam out of the Aggies' matchup with No. 2 Oklahoma in College Station next Saturday. It would have been a showdown of unbeaten teams in the Big 12 South.

Not anymore. Baylor put an end to all the Aggies' big plans.

McNeal committed his first two turnovers of the season in the loss, throwing an interception and losing a fumble. He had been the only starting quarterback in Division I-A without an interception thrown this season.

McNeal finished 20-of-31 for 268 yards with two touchdowns. He was sacked a season-high four times -- he'd only been dropped five times coming into the game.

Baylor rallied from a 10-point deficit at halftime and came back to tie the game four times in the second half.

Zeigler hauled in a 32-yard catch with just under six minutes left, streaking down the sideline for a touchdown that tied the game at 20.

McNeal responded quickly, finding Chad Schroeder way behind the Baylor defense for a 49-yard touchdown pass just four plays and 58 seconds later.

But Willie Andrews returned the ensuing kickoff 59 yards to give the Bears excellent field position.

Bell and Co. took over from there.

The Bears went 41 yards in eight plays, with Bell capping the drive with a 6-yard touchdown pass to Trent Shelton to tie the game at 27 and send the game into an extra period.

"I guess it really is 'on any given Saturday,'" said A&M tailback Courtney Lewis, who ran for 100 yards. "They just wanted it more than we did."

Old 10-31-2004, 02:46 AM   #9
bradleywillcrushyou44

bradleywillcrushyou44 is a jewel in the roughbradleywillcrushyou44 is a jewel in the roughbradleywillcrushyou44 is a jewel in the rough

i was there too, it was the greatest game i have ever seen. busting down those goal posts was fun too.
bradleywillcrushyou44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 11:07 AM   #10
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations to Doc and the Baylor Bears.

I am a fan of any team that beats the Aggies (conquerer of my enemy is my friend [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img] ).
Old 10-31-2004, 12:42 PM   #11
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

Thanks for the eyewitness account Doc. What a great memory to share with your kids.

Let us know if you find out where those goal posts ended up.
Old 10-31-2004, 01:59 PM   #12
bradleywillcrushyou44

bradleywillcrushyou44 is a jewel in the roughbradleywillcrushyou44 is a jewel in the roughbradleywillcrushyou44 is a jewel in the rough

though I haven't checked yet, they will probably lay the goal post infront of the Student Union Building and let everyone sign it and touch it all week
bradleywillcrushyou44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 04:51 PM   #13
Drbio
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by: bradleywillcrushyou44
though I haven't checked yet, they will probably lay the goal post infront of the Student Union Building and let everyone sign it and touch it all week
That's been what has happened in the past. I didn't make it to campus today. I heard a rumor that it might get deposited on President Sloan's yard which would be pretty cool too. The physical plant guys may cut it into pieces for everyone to get a piece of history.

My throat is sore today....but man isn't it great? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] That was the greatest college football game I have ever witnessed. I had a group of aggie fans behind me who said the Ags played as well as they have all year, but that we just outplayed them. What a great compliment. The Ags have been playing amazing football since week two.

Sic 'em Bears.....
Old 10-31-2004, 04:52 PM   #14
Drbio
Banned

[quote]
Originally posted by: mary
I think Doc had a good time.[quote]

Doc had one of the best times of his life. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 10-31-2004, 10:49 PM   #15
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Congrats, Doc. Thought about you when heard the score. Way to go Baylor.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 09:02 PM   #16
Drbio
Banned

Thanks Dooby!
Old 11-01-2004, 09:57 PM   #17
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

SaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud of

Congrats Doc. I was actually semi-rooting for aTm, because I was thinking that they wouldn't be able to handle such a big game next week against my team. This loss takes a little bit of pressure off of them. But it was a great win for your program. Hopefully mine will do the same next week (though in a more lopsided fashion.)

SaltwaterChaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 11:20 PM   #18
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

yep...doc and my dad were the first two people that I thought about while checking out the score and seeing that it was about to go into OT.

congrats.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 12:41 AM   #19
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

I was shocked when I head the score....was this game even supposed to be close? WOW! Have a few on you friends at D-M.com Doc!

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 10:53 AM   #20
Drbio
Banned

The Bears were a 24.5 point dog. Not anymore. Of course...now it is time to think about Texas Tech. That offense worries me......a lot.
Old 11-02-2004, 03:21 PM   #21
Caliente
Diamond Member

Caliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to all

I heard they were going to put this on Doc's front lawn.......[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-02-2004, 04:11 PM   #22
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Drbio
Quote:
Originally posted by: bradleywillcrushyou44
That's been what has happened in the past. I didn't make it to campus today. I heard a rumor that it might get deposited on President Sloan's yard which would be pretty cool too. The physical plant guys may cut it into pieces for everyone to get a piece of history.

My throat is sore today....but man isn't it great? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] That was the greatest college football game I have ever witnessed. I had a group of aggie fans behind me who said the Ags played as well as they have all year, but that we just outplayed them. What a great compliment. The Ags have been playing amazing football since week two.

Sic 'em Bears.....
I heard from Mr. Fallon this morning on the radio that the "cut pieces" method was used. Is this the case Doc?
Old 11-02-2004, 05:32 PM   #23
Drbio
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by: Caliente

I heard they were going to put this on Doc's front lawn.......[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
I WISH!!!!!!!!
Old 11-02-2004, 05:32 PM   #24
Drbio
Banned

Haven't heard Dan....I'm guessing yes.
Old 11-03-2004, 07:25 PM   #25
Phil Helmuth

Phil Helmuth is on a distinguished road