Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 12-09-2008, 05:50 PM   #1
pepe

pepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to all
Default Stackhouse to the Knicks?

http://http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/55886/20081209/jerry_stackhouse_to_knicks/

I guess the Knicks are offering the expiring contract of Malik Rose for Stack.

I think we could do a lot better than that.

Last edited by pepe; 12-09-2008 at 05:54 PM.
pepe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-2008, 06:01 PM   #2
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Another writer not doing his homework. Stack's deal is only guaranteed for 2 mil next season.

So Rose is making 7.6 and expiring this season; Stack is making 7 mil this season and 2 mil next season.

I guess it would give Dallas a slightly nicer trade chip, but really I'm not sure how that does anything for either team.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 06:03 PM   #3
particleman

particleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe View Post
http://http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/55886/20081209/jerry_stackhouse_to_knicks/

I guess the Knicks are offering the expiring contract of Malik Rose for Stack.

I think we could do a lot better than that.
That doesn't make sense. Why would the Knicks trade Rose's expiring for Stack's "almost" expiring. That's like saying "here, let us pay that four million for you next year." Isiah Thomas maybe would have done it, I don't think Donnie Walsh is that dumb.

And how much better can we do? I'm still baffled by all you guys who think there's a serious market out there for Stack. I mean, I'm no NBA insider, maybe there is... But to me Stack's value is solely as a mostly expiring contract to throw into a larger deal. Who would want to give up real value to bring Stack on their team?
particleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 06:12 PM   #4
pepe

pepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by particleman View Post
That doesn't make sense. Why would the Knicks trade Rose's expiring for Stack's "almost" expiring. That's like saying "here, let us pay that four million for you next year." Isiah Thomas maybe would have done it, I don't think Donnie Walsh is that dumb.

And how much better can we do? I'm still baffled by all you guys who think there's a serious market out there for Stack. I mean, I'm no NBA insider, maybe there is... But to me Stack's value is solely as a mostly expiring contract to throw into a larger deal. Who would want to give up real value to bring Stack on their team?
I agree probably there is not that much value for Stack the Player, but his contract and another piece like Bass or Diop could entice another team to part with a player that could contribute or probably some draft picks.

Last edited by pepe; 12-09-2008 at 06:13 PM.
pepe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 06:14 PM   #5
bobatundi
Golden Member

bobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond repute

That really is a completely pointless trade, not sure who it helps. Knicks can let Allen expire this year and fill his roster spot with a minimum guy next season, so they're still just as well off for the 2010 cap as they would be by acquiring Stack. Unless they think Stack can play, in which case, heh heh heh heh heh.

My understanding is the Knicks want to be below the cap in 2010. The only player they have signed beyond 2010 right now is the horrible Jared Jeffries. Now, Jeffries for Stack would work straight-up salary-wise (this year), and they're equally horrible players...but why on earth would the Mavs do that, unless the Knicks were offering a LOT of sweeteners. Stack for Jeffries, $3MM and a couple 1sts would do it for me, but I think the Knicks owe a lot of their future 1sts already.
bobatundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 07:01 PM   #6
GMFFDHT

GMFFDHT is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobatundi View Post
That really is a completely pointless trade, not sure who it helps. Knicks can let Allen expire this year and fill his roster spot with a minimum guy next season, so they're still just as well off for the 2010 cap as they would be by acquiring Stack. Unless they think Stack can play, in which case, heh heh heh heh heh.

My understanding is the Knicks want to be below the cap in 2010. The only player they have signed beyond 2010 right now is the horrible Jared Jeffries. Now, Jeffries for Stack would work straight-up salary-wise (this year), and they're equally horrible players...but why on earth would the Mavs do that, unless the Knicks were offering a LOT of sweeteners. Stack for Jeffries, $3MM and a couple 1sts would do it for me, but I think the Knicks owe a lot of their future 1sts already.
http://hoopshype.com/salaries/new_york.htm
GMFFDHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 07:23 PM   #7
craggmac
Golden Member

craggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud of

you know what... I don't even care what they do with Stack. Peace out homie!
craggmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 09:07 AM   #8
bobatundi
Golden Member

bobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMFFDHT View Post
Ah, didn't realize Curry had a player option for 2010-2011. Still, that's only Curry & Jeffries guaranteed. Everyone else is a team option.

So would you trade Stackhouse for Curry?
Old 12-10-2008, 09:33 AM   #9
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't see Stack going to the Knicks. It doesn't fit his game, and they don't really have anything Dallas really needs.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 10:05 AM   #10
bobatundi
Golden Member

what game would that be? the game of being old and shooting a horribly low percentage?
Old 12-10-2008, 10:20 AM   #11
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
what game would that be? the game of being old and shooting a horribly low percentage?
Stack feels he has a few years left.

He seems to work best in an ISO style offense, with an inside player, and drive/kicks.

He doesn't seem to fit in a cutting style motion offense. (age, knees, etc).

I just can't see him in NY, at least not by his choice. I guess I could be wrong, but I don't see it.

That doesn't mean that the Mavs wouldn't send him there anyway, but it wouldn't be to his strengths.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 11:27 AM   #12
dmack24

dmack24 will become famous soon enoughdmack24 will become famous soon enough

Stack,Diop for Curry
dmack24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 11:39 AM   #13
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmack24 View Post
Stack,Diop for Curry
Why would New York want Stack or Diop?

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 11:41 AM   #14
basketballgirl25
Banned

basketballgirl25 is infamous around these partsbasketballgirl25 is infamous around these partsbasketballgirl25 is infamous around these partsbasketballgirl25 is infamous around these partsbasketballgirl25 is infamous around these partsbasketballgirl25 is infamous around these partsbasketballgirl25 is infamous around these parts

I don't see the Knicks trading for Stackhouse, unless it is a really good deal and they can get money off, but I don't think they can with having stack. I think the Knicks should be trying to get good young players and not old players lol

Last edited by basketballgirl25; 12-10-2008 at 11:42 AM.
basketballgirl25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 11:47 AM   #15
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by basketballgirl25 View Post
I don't see the Knicks trading for Stackhouse, unless it is a really good deal and they can get money off, but I don't think they can with having stack. I think the Knicks should be trying to get good young players and not old players lol
They wouldn't be trading for Stackhouse - they'd be trading for his expiring contract (and they could probably do better than Stack-for-Curry if they want to dump salary...)

Old 12-10-2008, 11:53 AM   #16
darkwitzki
Golden Member

darkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of light

curry for howard !
darkwitzki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 01:40 PM   #17
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Wut a steal, hell yes!
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 08:09 PM   #18
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

seelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to all

Combo of trades happening monday:

Dallas trades Josh Howard to the Clips for Chris Kaman and Ricky Davis
Dallas trades Jerry Stackhouse and Gana Diop to New York for Jared Jeffries and Malik Rose

Last edited by seelenjaeger; 12-10-2008 at 08:13 PM.
seelenjaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 08:39 PM   #19
bobatundi
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seelenjaeger View Post
Combo of trades happening monday:

Dallas trades Josh Howard to the Clips for Chris Kaman and Ricky Davis
Dallas trades Jerry Stackhouse and Gana Diop to New York for Jared Jeffries and Malik Rose
You have a source, or are you just speculating? The second trade makes no sense for either team, just a swap of scraps.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:41 PM   #20
Underdog

Quote:
You have a source, or are you just speculating? The second trade makes no sense for either team, just a swap of scraps.
You beat me to the punch...

Is Seelenjaeger just throwing stuff at a wall to see what sticks? (for bragging rights, of course...)

Old 12-10-2008, 08:45 PM   #21
bobatundi
Golden Member

I suppose, given the minutes Diop is (not) getting, he's expendable--especially if we were to somehow pull off a deal for Kaman. But for Jared Jeffries? I don't get it.

If we did manage to trade Howard for Kaman, I think Rick would continue to use his three-guard lineup a lot, with Kaman & Dirk up front instead of Dirk & Bass. And I think I'd like that.
Old 12-11-2008, 03:31 AM   #22
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

seelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to all

Pure speculation, else I´d put it in there (and probably made a new thread about it).
Old 12-11-2008, 03:40 AM   #23
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I suppose, given the minutes Diop is (not) getting, he's expendable--especially if we were to somehow pull off a deal for Kaman. But for Jared Jeffries? I don't get it.

If we did manage to trade Howard for Kaman, I think Rick would continue to use his three-guard lineup a lot, with Kaman & Dirk up front instead of Dirk & Bass. And I think I'd like that.
Dirk / Kaman >>>>> Bass / Dirk

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 05:08 AM   #24
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

The idea about the Trade for Jeffries is the following:

New York gets Stackhouse, who´s off the books in 2010, and Diop, who´s making slightly less than Jeffries, for Rose and the very Jeffries. So they save money in 2010, while probably beeing able to move Diop or buy him out later in addition. They get -some- C potential back.

We´d swing the deal for pure money reasons. After the acquisition of Kaman and Ricky Davis we have no need for Diop, and by getting Malik Rose (maybe instantly cutting him, or releasing Singleton), we´d end up having Jeffries over Diop. Jeffries contract is shorter than Diops, and will expire in 2011. He might not be brillant as a bench player, but having an additional Big Body on the bench who can play the 4 or a big 3 in a classical lineup over having a doghouse Center on a lengthy contract is a plus.

The Clippers trade is both about money and talent. I don´t think the Clips are happy with their addition of Ricky Davis, and they for sure have a big man toss up. So they´d move the odd man out (Kaman) along with a semi-injured guy for a 20 / 8 borderline all star, probably a pick or some of our Swingies (Wright, or such).

Baron - Howard - Randolph - Camby can still be a nice lineup out there, so they wouldn´t "feel" like losing out on that trade.

After all, we´d end up with

Kaman, Damp
Dirk, Bass, Jeffries
Green, Shawne Williams
Ricky Davis, Terry, Wright
Kidd, JJB

That´s hardly worse than what we have atm, and it´s solid mixture of talent, hunger, and people with experience, and it´s meant for a mastermindic coach who loves to throw out different lineups at different opponents, as you can always go big, small, slashing or tall whenever you like.
Old 12-12-2008, 12:32 AM   #25
craggmac
Golden Member

craggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud of

Yuk... I don't want to start Ricky Davis.
craggmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 02:08 PM   #26
SeriousSummer
Golden Member

SeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant future

I have to say that a trade where the end result is:

"That´s hardly worse than what we have atm"

is a little hard for me to get excited about.
SeriousSummer is offline   Reply With Quote