Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-17-2015, 04:20 AM   #37
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

Catch and shoot/drive numbers last season:

Barea- Frequency: 18.8% Percentile: 84%
Harris- Frequency: 28.7% Percentile: 86.7%
Parsons- Frequency: 35.2% Percentile: 83.4%
Dirk- Frequency: 20.7% Percentile: 70%
Villanueva- Frequency: 36.9% Percentile: 90.8%
(Portland)Matthews- Frequency: 30.3% Percentile: 90.4%
(Brooklyn)Williams- Frequency 15.2% Percentile: 81.2%

So far this season:

Barea- Frequency: 15.5% Percentile: 62.5%
Harris- Frequency: 25.8% Percentile: 68.6%
Parsons- Frequency: 20.0% Percentile: 39.0%
Dirk- Frequency: 18.6% Percentile: 76.1%
Villanueva- Frequency: 36.2% Percentile: 32.4%
Matthews- Frequency: 31.2% Percentile: 42.1%
Williams- Frequency 15.9% Percentile: 67.9%

I'm sure we miss monta's ability to get inside at will but getting inside hasn't seemed to be our problem IMO. I think the bigger problem is we don't have the roll man of a TC/Wright allowing teams to show harder on screens knowing that if our big gets behind them he likely won't be finishing above the rim and they would have time to recover.

Some PnR ball handler numbers so far this season-

Barea- Frequency: 43.5% Percentile: 29.5% <-----
Harris- Frequency: 20.0% Percentile: 55.8%
Parsons- Frequency: 21.1% Percentile: 73.7%
Williams- Frequency 29.2% Percentile: 80.0%
Felton- Frequency: 40.9% Percentile: 53.7%

For all the praise I and others heap on felton when I look at his numbers in PnR and his shooting numbers in general I think he has been talked so highly of more in part due to the struggles of Harris and especially JJ and also obv Parsons recovering. Also the praise of the closing lineup of Dwill/Dirk/Felton/Wes/Zaza IMO is much more due to the fact that Dwill in those times almost always has it in his hands or Dirk does. Which is why Dwill was leading in clutch scoring. Felton has more possessions as the ball handler in PnR sets than DWil despite playing less minutes. More than likely because DWill is a much better off ball threat but we wouldn't be in that bind if we didn't have to have 2 pgs on the court at seemingly all times for whatever reason. I'd much rather see some time for Evans or learning for Anderson or some Jenkins than see 2 pgs on the court the entire 48mins when it obviously handcuffs some of our more efficient sets anyway. And for the same reason JJ has more than double the possessions as Harris as the PnR ball handler despite it being quite literally our worst high volume play this season.

Also Matthews has only taken 30 shots coming off screens this season yet ranks in the top 92.2 percentile of the NBA doing so... sure would be nice to get him a few more of those in games to get him in a better rhythm. I find it hard to believe we are top 5 in screens set but can't seem to get Wes much more than 1 shot per game coming off a down screen or curl. Only Curry and Patty Mills have attempted at least 30 and have a better eFG% than Matthews in these situations. For comparison sake Klay has shot over 100 coming off screens Korver 75, Curry 77, Reddick 78... Baffling how Wes has just 30 when compared to other guys great at catch and shoot off screens.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote