Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-15-2001, 12:16 AM   #1
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

Flying Tiger will become famous soon enoughFlying Tiger will become famous soon enough

Someone always starts one of these, so I thought I would start this one. I think it will be a blow out. Mavs-113, Seattle-96
Old 04-15-2001, 12:19 AM   #2
Hales233
Golden Member

Hales233 is on a distinguished road

Mark Bryant pulls down 38 rebounds....Mavs 111, Sonics 96
Old 04-15-2001, 12:21 AM   #3
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

And Wang ZhiZhi has his first triple-double as a Mav [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Ok maybe not.. But the Mavs should take this one. Mavs 106, Sonics 97
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2001, 12:32 AM   #4
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Mavs will take this one too. I'll say 115-95, the Mavs will show the Sonics no mercy!

In the last meeting, Finley hit a 3 with less than 30 seconds to go and it ticked Brent Barry off. He had some words for Finley and said they would repay us with this game. LOL. I didn't know Barry was a comedian. I'd look for Finley to show him what time it is.
Old 04-15-2001, 12:39 AM   #5
Mavinator
Golden Member

Mavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the rough

Shawn Kemp goes off for 42, Schrempf has 15 and 10, Payton with the triple-double, Sam Perkins has 5 three-pointers, Sonics win 128-103.

The Reign Man
Old 04-15-2001, 12:40 AM   #6
Mavinator
Golden Member

Mavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the rough

No wait a second... maybe Ruben Patterson goes off for 42?
Old 04-15-2001, 12:43 AM   #7
Mavinator
Golden Member

Oh, of course. This is the crappy Sonics team. Mavs win 112-96

Old 04-15-2001, 01:05 AM   #8
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

I forgot to add that Dirk is going to break out BIG TIME too. He's been kinda quite lately and that will change. He will follow Fin's lead and come out gunning.
Old 04-15-2001, 09:48 AM   #9
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

We're gonna win this one but I expect a big game from Payton. Nash is gonna struggle and Dirk goes off.

Mavs 107
Sonics 101

Website - www.thegamesector.com
Hell bent 100% Texan 'til I die.
LonestarROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2001, 12:46 PM   #10
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Bradley + confidence + slow opposing center = crushing
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2001, 01:10 PM   #11
MavsFanFinley
Guru

I've just read the game previews and it has Vin Baker, Ruben Patterson and Jelani McCoy all questionable/gametime decisions for tonight's game. All 3 injured themselves in the Phoenix game (friday, I think?)Baker reaggravated his knee injuries in the 1st quarter, Patterson sprained his ankle in the 2nd quarter and didn't return and McCoy sprained his ankle in the 3rd quarter and he didn't return either.

Now, let me tell you, we BETTER NOT lose this game if those 3 guys are out.
Old 04-15-2001, 01:39 PM   #12
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

Flying Tiger will become famous soon enoughFlying Tiger will become famous soon enough

I bet the Mavs get control of this one really early and Wang gets some considerable minutes.
Old 04-15-2001, 02:25 PM   #13
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

As long as Payton's in the game, anything can happen. Plus Desmond Mason always seems to have big games against us. The Mavs are still the better team though so no worries here [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-15-2001, 04:20 PM   #14
Mavinator
Golden Member

Big #40 needs to come to Dallas and play with big #44... they would be the most intimidating frontcourt in the history of the league...

Old 04-15-2001, 04:24 PM   #15
Hales233
Golden Member

Hales233 is on a distinguished road

Dez Mason is gonna be one nasty player in a few years [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]
Old 04-15-2001, 10:52 PM   #16
Mavinator
Golden Member

Hmm. I was out during the first three quarters of this game, but saw the fourth and the overtime... Didn't look pretty. This can't help the Mavs' confidence... From what it looks like, Bradley crushed Patrick Ewing (individual defense, anyone? It's actually been looking A LOT better over the past couple games), and how huge was he in the overtime? A block, a steal, and two putbacks (one was a goaltend)... The portion of the game I saw was one of the worst officiated I've ever seen. Dirk apparently did a decent job on offense and a great job on the boards, Juwan with a great job on the boards... I'll have to wait for the boxscore to update on ESPN for more commentary.
Old 04-15-2001, 10:57 PM   #17
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

Didn't see much of the game either. But it didn't look all bad from what I saw. The end sucked but atleast we got the win. On to Golden State.

Website - www.thegamesector.com
Hell bent 100% Texan 'til I die.
LonestarROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2001, 10:58 PM   #18
dallmav

dallmav is on a distinguished road

officials are the worst I have seen in years. You could pick any dumbass off the streets and they could do a better job than those overpaid bunch of jackasses. Payton should have had his 6th foul when he smacked dirk in the face on the rebound he tried to get which actually sent us into overtime.
dallmav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2001, 11:03 PM   #19
Mavinator
Golden Member

I think it's doing the Bradley Show a world of good to be competing with Booth for minutes. I think Bradley's string of off-games on the road trip were a result of less-than-generous, scattered minutes and screwed up confidence to losing his starting job to Booth... I think he's gotten himself more in focus now, and it's noticeable how much tougher he's been defending his assignment and how much more he's been going to the offensive glass- advantages Calvin Booth is supposed to have over Bradley. Many have pretended Booth is the replacement for Bradley, and that he has taken Bradley's starter job because he is Dallas' future- but you may have noticed who has been spending the bulk of minutes at center in the fourth quarter and in over time... I think Booth's presence is elevating Bradley's game, particularly in terms of offensive rebounding...
Old 04-15-2001, 11:05 PM   #20
Mavinator
Golden Member

And the tougher Bradley's game gets offensively, the tougher the Double Shawn tandem is going to look next year...
Old 04-15-2001, 11:13 PM   #21
djb
Administrator

Dammit I was off by 3pts again! Why's it so quiet in here?! I watched bits of the game in the gym, and yea the refs really stunk it up tonight [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img] The game really shouldn't have gone into o/t but oh well. Mavs roll on. Eisley showed some signs of life offensively, but he wasn't too effective on the other end of the floor. At least he's starting to do SOMETHING.
Old 04-15-2001, 11:18 PM   #22
djb
Administrator

Phoenix beat Sactown 88-86 tonight..good thing the Mavs won and are still ahead of them!
Old 04-15-2001, 11:22 PM   #23
Mavs#1Fan

Mavs#1Fan will become famous soon enoughMavs#1Fan will become famous soon enough

Dude, it's Easter. Some people have to spend time with their folks and stuff. Not me though. I even had the store open today.
Mavs#1Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2001, 11:45 PM   #24
MavsFanFinley
Guru

Im not sure anything good can be said about tonight's game except that we came away with the win. We didn't shoot the ball well at all and played no defense to speak of either. Eisley actually played good tonight but turned around and fouled Payton at the end of regulation [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

Nash saved our butt in OT with the 3, then Bradley scored, then Fin, then Dirk, then Dirk hit a couple free throws and then Fin did the same to seal the game.

Im not sure why Dirk took the final shot at end of regulation and a 3-pointer to top things off. He ended up 1-8. Finley wasn't much better at 4-10. The thing that got me was why Dirk took about 5-6 shots in OT and only made 1, which was the dunk. Finley usually gets blasted when he does that.
Old 04-16-2001, 12:22 AM   #25
Mavinator
Golden Member

As I recall, Dirk took four shots in overtime, one of which he made, and two of which he was blatantly fouled without any call... Dirk saw openings, and he took the ball to the hole in an attempt to score. I don't recall Finley ever getting blasted for trying to make good plays, which is what Dirk was doing...
Old 04-16-2001, 12:38 AM   #26
ReggieThetaChi

ReggieThetaChi is on a distinguished road

I didn't see the game. how did we look?
Old 04-16-2001, 11:17 AM   #27
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

Not all that good but I see one good thing from lastnight, JUWAN GOT HIS ASS ON THE BOARDS. It's about freakin TIME!!!!!!
Old 04-16-2001, 12:29 PM   #28
LAM0015
Banned

LAM0015 is on a distinguished road

i want dirk and finley to take shots when they're open..and i want both to drive to the basket.
regardless of whether either of them are in a slump, they need to get their shots. my only gripe is that i want both of them to drive more.... and i want finley to take less low percentage shots.
thanks,
LAM0015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2001, 01:44 PM   #29
TheKid
Diamond Member

Right now I just want the bench to step up. I'm truly not concerned with our starters putting out maximum effort and performing when they have to, but I am concerned about the bench.
Old 04-16-2001, 03:54 PM   #30
LAM0015
Banned

i agree, the bench does have to step up when they get their opportunities... i won't argue with you their at all. very valid point. but i still want dirk and fin to drive more
Old 04-16-2001, 04:12 PM   #31
Mavinator
Golden Member

All you have to do is make Finley go left and half the time he will turn over the ball... he needs to keep a careful balance between drives and crazy out-of-control fadeaways or he will have more 8-turnover games like against the Jazz...
Old 04-16-2001, 04:23 PM   #32
TheKid
Diamond Member

Well if he has no left and he turns the ball over constantly, he's been doing a fine job. I'll take almost 22 points a game from him, and with his quick first step you don't want to give him the left either. He'll go by someone and switch it to the right and dunk on someone. Just ask Starks and Polynice who thought it was a bright idea to make him drive to his left.
Old 04-16-2001, 04:24 PM   #33
Mavinator
Golden Member

Those 22 PPG are largely from crazy fadeaways, which despite what some fans might have you believe, go in a hell of a lot of the time...
Old 04-16-2001, 04:27 PM   #34
LAM0015
Banned

yes, he can hit the fadeaway, i'm not arguing that. not at all. but, he does take some bad turn around fadeaways at times. you must admit that. if he eliminated those from his game, he'd probably shoot 47-48%(which over the course of a season is a big jump).
yeah..finley is doing alot of things right, but their's always room for improvement.
yes, he is more turnover prone going to his left...but, i still think he needs to continue to drive more like he has been doing recently
Old 04-16-2001, 04:31 PM   #35
Mavinator
Golden Member

Hahah... if Finley didn't take fadeaways, he'd be averaging 5 shot attempts a game instead of 20! I love it when Finley drives, but it irritates me when he tries to do it every possession... he gets into grooves where he either shoots nothing but fadeaways, or does nothing but drive the lane. He can get himself into offensive locks that make him predictable and lead to turnovers... I'd be happy if 60% of the time, he shot the fadeaway, and the other 40% he tried to drive to the basket...
Old 04-16-2001, 04:51 PM   #36
LAM0015
Banned

finley takes alot of non-fadeaway jumpshots. but when he takes the fadeaway from 16-19 feet...it's such a low percentage shot and he really doesn't make a good percentage of those shots. yes, he might make 35-40% of the deep turnaround fadeaways...but that's not a good enough percentage.
Old 04-16-2001, 07:20 PM   #37
scooterj5
Golden Member

scooterj5 is on a distinguished road

That Wolkowsky guy looks like a nazi