Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 08-05-2006, 01:44 AM   #441
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Buckle your seat belts. These Rangers are cleared for takeoff!!
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2006, 08:15 AM   #442
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
Buckle your seat belts. These Rangers are cleared for takeoff!!
I like the sound of that!!!!...

"you are clear for liftoff......10....9....."

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 02:56 PM   #443
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

That is the gayest thing I've ever seen. Anyone watching the game knows what I'm talking about...

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 03:44 PM   #444
Dirkgreatness
Platinum Member

Dirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to behold

dang!!!!!! Angels lead by 8!!!!
Old 08-06-2006, 03:58 PM   #445
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Wow, and this was a big game too.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 04:16 PM   #446
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Well it doesn't help when the idiot ump throws your starter out in the first inning.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 08-06-2006, 04:19 PM   #447
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
Well it doesn't help when the idiot ump throws your starter out in the first inning.
That's true.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
Old 08-06-2006, 05:53 PM   #448
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Jamey Newberg weighed in with this. Very nice.

Quote:
Hi, I'm Rob Drake. I umpire big league baseball games when I'm not umpiring
AAA baseball games.

According to the Pacific Coast League website, I live in Buena Park,
California.

According to Google Maps, Buena Park is 9.3 miles northwest of Angels
Stadium, where I'm working today.

I have no comment on whether I'm an Angels fan.

My lifelong dream as an umpire is to have an impact on a pennant race.

Because dude, I'm an umpire. It's all about me. I'm Rob Drake.

I want to factor in.

How'm I doing?

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 08-06-2006, 06:25 PM   #449
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

lol

Old 08-06-2006, 10:29 PM   #450
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

The oddest part of it all was that there was a lengthy quote by Drake in the post-game writeup. WTH? Since when do umpires get interviewed?
Old 08-06-2006, 11:02 PM   #451
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

From DMN: "Ranger's Wells May Miss Rest of Season."

You know? Sometimes I think we're cursed.
Old 08-07-2006, 08:50 AM   #452
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ames7
From DMN: "Ranger's Wells May Miss Rest of Season."

You know? Sometimes I think we're cursed.
Do you have a link for that? I can't find it anywhere, and I'm suspecting that they took that headline down. I haven't seen the speculated anywhere else.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 08-07-2006, 08:52 AM   #453
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

You traded Utley AND tejada for Papi? a power hitting ss and second basmen for a power hitting first basemen? I would have to see your roster but short of you having Troy glaus, MY, or Jose Reyes and Sori, i just cant see that trade making sense.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 09:03 AM   #454
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Do you have a link for that? I can't find it anywhere, and I'm suspecting that they took that headline down. I haven't seen the speculated anywhere else.
You're right, they changed the headline. It just says he will miss at least the next start now.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...s.11bfea7.html
Old 08-07-2006, 09:04 AM   #455
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

The Wells note was posted last night....there is a thread about it on Newberg.

This Oakland series is monumentally huge. Make or break right here.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 10:48 AM   #456
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

yeah make or break, and we're throwing a rook out there. It would have been nice to come with Wells/Millwood/Padilla
But hey maybe Volquez will be solid. If so, and Wells is only out one start, Koronka might get the hook. Especially with Eaton only getting 2/3 inning, he could easily jump up to take Koronkas next start.
Old 08-07-2006, 11:14 AM   #457
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

This thread makes me sad.... and then I usually laugh a little bit.
Old 08-07-2006, 01:57 PM   #458
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

BTW, once again buried inside a bad Rangers loss was a darn nice GMJ catch. A true diving catch, not a catch then slide catch.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 08-07-2006, 09:35 PM   #459
chumdawg
Guru

In case any of you aren't watching, Edison Valquez is presently shredding the Oakland A's to pieces.
Old 08-07-2006, 09:50 PM   #460
theunheardxvoice

theunheardxvoice is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
In case any of you aren't watching, Edison Valquez is presently shredding the Oakland A's to pieces.
spoke too soon
theunheardxvoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 12:04 AM   #461
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

EdiNson Valquez
Old 08-08-2006, 08:01 AM   #462
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Volquez showed flashes. That changeup is filthy. Everyone compares him to pedro but stuff wise he reminds me more of a right handed santana. We have flat out got to hit though. BTW, in the midst of all of this blalock is actually not sucking like many think. If he gets hot over the last month(i know about his splits) 300-20-100 isnt out of the question. Right now hes at 285-13-60something. Isnt that more towards what everyone wanted? Higher average fewer homers.
Old 08-08-2006, 08:10 AM   #463
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan
Volquez showed flashes. That changeup is filthy. Everyone compares him to pedro but stuff wise he reminds me more of a right handed santana. We have flat out got to hit though. BTW, in the midst of all of this blalock is actually not sucking like many think. If he gets hot over the last month(i know about his splits) 300-20-100 isnt out of the question. Right now hes at 285-13-60something. Isnt that more towards what everyone wanted? Higher average fewer homers.
Yes, he seems to have pulled out of his major slump somewhat. Before these past few weeks though, he'd been pretty awful for several months, and of course against any lefty walking the earth.

Higher average fewer homers is certainly what I wanted, but I'm not sure I'll ever be able to accept Hank for what he apparantly is, because he was supposed to be David Wright before David Wright was around.

I can't believe we couldn't hit Loiza up for more runs than that. That one bad break on the double play really killed us. That and Lee is been absolutely awful since we left Arlington.

Let me ask you this. If we lose at least one of the next two games, and continue to inch backwards, at what point do you think about flipping Lee for prospects, assuming he cleared waivers?

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 08-08-2006, 08:13 AM   #464
Five-ofan
Guru

Ive already thought about it. As for Hank, he could still end up being something close to wright. With wright being a better hitter and him being better defensively.
Old 08-08-2006, 09:00 AM   #465
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

Bauer sucks all the sudden.
Old 08-08-2006, 10:20 AM   #466
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

I still have hope....for another week or so anyway

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 08-08-2006, 01:25 PM   #467
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

Don't sike...you're setting yourself up for disappointment. Just watch the games and enjoy getting to see our youngsters (Kinsler, Littleton, Cruz, Valquez, Laird). At least, by watching some of the youngsters, I can convince myself that maybe the rangers won't suck for the next 20 years.
Old 08-09-2006, 08:24 AM   #468
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

What a pathetic game.

Tons of blame to go around, but here's what it comes down to for me:

In what is most certainly a must win game, you go out, knock their starter out early, and stake your pitcher to a 4 run lead.

This pitcher is your high priced "Ace" that is supposed to be your streak stopper, your Mr. Consistent. He's pitching against one of the worst offenses in baseball, and he can't hold the lead....

Unbelievable. Trade Lee, GMJ, Padilla and anyone else that's free after this season for whatever you can get, NOW.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 08-09-2006, 09:04 AM   #469
sike
The Preacha

3 things are certain in this life: death, taxes, and the rangers choking away the season....

Old 08-09-2006, 12:20 PM   #470
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike
3 things are certain in this life: death, taxes, and the rangers choking away the season....
lol. yeah. Poor Carlos Lee.

At least they gave us some hope this year into August.

If there were ever a year you could suck balls and still get into the playoffs, this was the year. They couldn't even do that. There are a truly mediocre team. See you next summer rangers....
Old 08-09-2006, 01:13 PM   #471
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drbio
The Wells note was posted last night....there is a thread about it on Newberg.

This Oakland series is monumentally huge. Make or break right here.
break

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 07:15 PM   #472
mmmfast

mmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to all

14-0 over Oakland(Zito), could they possibly have a run in them?
Old 08-09-2006, 07:16 PM   #473
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby
break
It really sucks too since the first two games were pretty favorable pitching match-ups and the Rangers end up whizzing all over themselves in both of them.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 07:33 PM   #474
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Nice game today though, they might have a chance......

I think my Giants, and your Rangers are in the same boat

Old 08-09-2006, 08:42 PM   #475
Five-ofan
Guru

Well, its nice to see derosa justify my faith in him. Wow, padilla was on fire today. Wish we could get pitching like that in one of the games where we dont score 14 runs.
Old 08-09-2006, 08:43 PM   #476
Five-ofan
Guru

Oh yeah, Jerry Hairston can play one heck of a shortstop.
Old 08-09-2006, 09:42 PM   #477
Five-ofan
Guru

BTW, what kind of odds could you have gotten that Derosa would have a higher slugging percentage than Arod at this point of the season? Yeah its only one point but still. Dero is at 500 while Arod is at 499.
Old 08-09-2006, 10:09 PM   #478
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan
BTW, what kind of odds could you have gotten that Derosa would have a higher slugging percentage than Arod at this point of the season? Yeah its only one point but still. Dero is at 500 while Arod is at 499.
This offseason has me so worried. I fear we're going to overpay at least two out of GMJ, DeRosa and Carlos Lee.

I do NOT want to resign Carlos Lee, at all, if it's over 4/48. You do that, and have another down year, and all of a sudden Hicks will balk at paying Tex. Also, I realize it might be a pipe dream, but until Vernon Wells signs an extension, I don't want any outfielders signed to long, expensive contracts.

Say it's a dream, sure. But he grew up in Arlington, not just Texas, but Arlington itself, and he's Mike Young's best friend. They've both said it's one of their major goals to play together in the majors.

I want Vernon Wells.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 08-09-2006, 10:14 PM   #479
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
This offseason has me so worried. I fear we're going to overpay at least two out of GMJ, DeRosa and Carlos Lee.

I do NOT want to resign Carlos Lee, at all, if it's over 4/48. You do that, and have another down year, and all of a sudden Hicks will balk at paying Tex. Also, I realize it might be a pipe dream, but until Vernon Wells signs an extension, I don't want any outfielders signed to long, expensive contracts.

Say it's a dream, sure. But he grew up in Arlington, not just Texas, but Arlington itself, and he's Mike Young's best friend. They've both said it's one of their major goals to play together in the majors.

I want Vernon Wells.
Rep for you. Vernon wells is a beast.
Old 08-09-2006, 10:58 PM   #480
Five-ofan
Guru

I think its time to start coming up with MVP talk for each of the leagues. Right now i would be leaning towards Beltran in the NL. The AL is tougher. If Minny makes the playoffs i would go with Joe mauer. If they dont it gets alot tougher. If they dont and Boston does I would go with Manny ramirez. If neither does and the White sox do i would go with Jermaine Dye. Im curious to know who others would vote.