Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 11-21-2012, 11:44 AM   #1
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by grndmstr_c View Post
I'm thinking it's also time management and vulnerability to double teams. Even a player of present-day Vince's caliber, for example, can pretty reliably get a shot off at a time of his own choosing in a clear-out iso situation (last night was evidence of this), and if he's smart enough to attack to the side where the offensive team has stationed it's preeminent three point marksman (Vince did exactly that), he can probably count on not having to deal with a double team (or if the double does come, on having an accurate shooter to pass the ball to).

Compare that to a post-up. It's easier for the defense to deny the entry pass, easier for them to bring a double-team, and the offense is actually probably looking at at least three passes, not just one (one into the post, one back out when the double comes, and then either a re-post or movement of the ball around the perimeter). Even with guys who are excellent at feeding the post, establishing position in the post, and passing out of double teams in the post, the amount of time that play will take to yield a shot is a relatively uncertain proposition. It's good basketball if clock management isn't an issue, but when the shot has to go up in a specific and narrow time interval, I think it becomes problematic.
How much time was left, though? Wasn't it 15 seconds? Or more? It's not at all uncommon for a post up to start with 15 seconds or less remaining on the shot clock. So what's the major difference here? I feel like we've seen plenty of Dirk post ups late for last second plays. There's certainly been plenty of high post ISO as well, but post ups have also happened.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:52 PM   #2
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
How much time was left, though? Wasn't it 15 seconds? Or more? It's not at all uncommon for a post up to start with 15 seconds or less remaining on the shot clock. So what's the major difference here? I feel like we've seen plenty of Dirk post ups late for last second plays. There's certainly been plenty of high post ISO as well, but post ups have also happened.
My contention is that it wasn't simply being able to get off a shot in time that was the concern, but rather getting it off and leaving little or no time for GS to get off their own attempt. The perimeter iso pretty much gives the guy with the ball complete control over the clock.

As for Dirk, I feel like the high-post iso/extened elbow face up is the go-to option with him. I've also seen that in the past with Duncan (which is a bit more telling because of Tim's skill in the low post). It'd be interesting to see how the play calls break down according to whether the team with the ball is tied, up a point, or needing a basket just to stay alive.

I will say that I don't see the high post as a desirable option with Kaman in the situation the Mavs were in. He's frequently erratic in his decision making when he gets the ball that far out and the situation calls for anything other than a mid-range jumpshot.

Just one other thing that has occurred to me in the last few days. I'm been pretty happy on balance with Mayo so far - his shot-making has been a god-send with everything else that's been going on - but I'm perhaps in the minority right now in thinking that his offensive game, efficient as it's been, is still less complete than JET's. And one area in particular where I feel I've been noticing a difference is movement off the ball. JET was terrific at that, one of the best, and having a guy who can make himself a dynamic threat off the ball like that, even as a decoy, is a real boon to a coach trying to draw up a play that's more complex than an iso yet still reasonably safe (i.e., not TO-prone).