Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-23-2009, 11:04 PM   #161
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2009, 05:41 AM   #162
tonyriceroni

tonyriceroni will become famous soon enoughtonyriceroni will become famous soon enough

I like green but he can't play defense. I like his jumpshot but most of the time he just likes to force it up.

Last edited by mary; 04-24-2009 at 07:54 AM.
tonyriceroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 10:23 AM   #163
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernardos70 View Post
He should be fine. Plus, Carlisle isn't playing him, there isn't much reason to be worried about the injury outside of being worried about his well being.
How are we supposed to know that we're blowing out the other team if Gerald Green isn't there to play?

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 10:29 AM   #164
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Just look for Matt Carroll

Last edited by Flacolaco; 04-24-2009 at 10:29 AM.
Flacolaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 06:59 PM   #165
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco View Post
Just look for Matt Carroll
that
tcat075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 01:57 AM   #166
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

I often dream what would be if we could throw Wright, Green, Carroll and Stack in a big blender and get one player out...damn perfect.

This season still wasnt Greens time. He was still too raw, did too many faults and his bad defense didnt help either. Maybe one more summer helps him but will we bring him back?

Terry, Wright and Carroll are for sure on the team. Stack is probably gone.

With the draft pick we would need definatly a 2:1 or 3:1 deal to open the 14/15th spot for Green next season because im also sure that the Mavs wanna bring back Singleton and Hollins more than Green.

But same time that bigger 2 or 3:1 trade will probable bring a new and even better SG (ok, or a new center).

Well, i hope he has a good summer and we have a spot open for him. He is a good kid and he isnt far away from being a good roleplayer.

Last edited by sefant77; 04-27-2009 at 02:02 AM.
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 06:39 AM   #167
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

Wright, Carroll, Green and Stack?

I've always thought Wright, Green and JJ would make more sense...

Anyway, I think they may bring him back. Right now, he's the "project", and that's more than any other team can say about him who have had him on the roster. At least Minnesota and Houston...for them, he was a benchwarmer, period. For us, he's a benchwarmer who gets a lot of solo time with coaches and trainers in hopes that he will become more than a benchwarmer...
Old 04-27-2009, 10:38 AM   #168
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
I often dream what would be if we could throw Wright, Green, Carroll and Stack in a big blender and get one player out...damn perfect.
How about if you could do that but then you'd have to put one one player's fatal flaws in it? Would you choose a player that:

-Had Green's hops, Wright's defense, Carroll's long distance shot and was 38 and injury prone?

-Had Stack's tenacity, Wright's defense, Carroll's long distance shot but took bad shots all the time??

-Had Carroll's shooting touch, Stack's toughness, Green's athleticism, and had the scoring ability of a 3 year old?

-Had Stack's toughness, Green's athleticism, Wright's defense, and had the athleticism of Dick Cheney?
Old 04-27-2009, 11:11 AM   #169
tcat075
Diamond Member

Quote:
How about if you could do that but then you'd have to put one one player's fatal flaws in it? Would you choose a player that:

-Had Green's hops, Wright's defense, Carroll's long distance shot and was 38 and injury prone?

-Had Stack's tenacity, Wright's defense, Carroll's long distance shot but took bad shots all the time??

-Had Carroll's shooting touch, Stack's toughness, Green's athleticism, and had the scoring ability of a 3 year old?

-Had Stack's toughness, Green's athleticism, Wright's defense, and had the athleticism of Dick Cheney?
1. Isn't Stack 45?
2. I think Green's jumper might be better than Caroll's.
3. How can you have a shooting touch but the scoring ability of a 3 years old?
Old 04-27-2009, 11:25 AM   #170
TheMaverick
Golden Member

TheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to behold

1. no
2. doubtful
3. easy--being stupid.

The Legendary Mavericks:
- Mark Aguirre
- Rolando Blackman
- Tom Cruise
- Jason Kidd
- Mel Gibson
- Michael Finley
- Dirk Nowitzki
- Jason Kidd (again)
- who's next?
TheMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 11:28 AM   #171
LSMF
Diamond Member

LSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

This is contradictory...
Old 04-27-2009, 12:16 PM   #172
tcat075
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMaverick View Post
1. no
2. doubtful
3. easy--being stupid.
1. you're right, he's 65
Old 04-27-2009, 06:54 PM   #173
joebobbill

joebobbill will become famous soon enoughjoebobbill will become famous soon enough

Green's inability to excel at defense is not physical, it's mental. If you want to play skill-mix-and-match, consider what Green would be with JJB's court sense.
joebobbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 08:09 PM   #174
Thomas86
Golden Member

Thomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to all

If we beat the Spurs than expect Green to play alot of minutes if we play the Nuggets because the Nuggets don't have an answer for Green and he's almost like another J.R. Smith.
Thomas86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 08:20 PM   #175
tcat075
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas86 View Post
If we beat the Spurs than expect Green to play alot of minutes if we play the Nuggets because the Nuggets don't have an answer for Green and he's almost like another J.R. Smith.
Not.

Because last I checked, rotations became even smaller in the playoffs. We aren't going to put a non-rotation player into our playoff rotation.

And how do the Nuggets "not have an answer" for Green. Its not like he's exactly lit them up this year. Hell, I'm not sure he's played in but one or two of the games...
Old 04-27-2009, 08:39 PM   #176
Thomas86
Golden Member

Thomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcat075 View Post
Not.

Because last I checked, rotations became even smaller in the playoffs. We aren't going to put a non-rotation player into our playoff rotation.

And how do the Nuggets "not have an answer" for Green. Its not like he's exactly lit them up this year. Hell, I'm not sure he's played in but one or two of the games...
Ok The last time I checked Hollins wasn't part of the "rotation" and he's getting minutes now explain that then, go back and look at the box scores and see how many points Green had then man....you can't sit up here and tell me that it we get past the Spurs and play Denver that Carlisle is not gonna try Green in the series, Carlisle did the same thing with Tayshaun Prince when he was with the Pistons...Prince didn't play at all during he season and then played alot in the Playoffs.
Thomas86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 12:57 AM   #177
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Not.

AGREED, and it is just plain stupid to compare J.R Smith to Greene, Smith is the better ball handler, distributor, decision maker, defender, scorer (yes it is an art), and shooter. I have seen some stupid comments but this may just take the cake
mavs777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 12:04 PM   #178
LSMF
Diamond Member

LSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Not.

Didn't Green score 12 points in 10 minutes vs Denver a couple of months ago? I still remember him having a crazy tomahawk dunk, a mid range j, 2 3ptrs, an up under move.

We need Greens athleticism in this series. I know he can finish around the rim, dude 6'8 and has tons of hops. Cant Carlislie at least play him for like 10 mins? Especially now that Howard is hurt.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:25 PM   #179
joemoeschmoe

joemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to all

Sadly, I think you're right.
joemoeschmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 12:57 PM   #180
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Green would just feed the turnover machine man. Can't believe a guy who's shown nothing but knuckleheadedness all year gets tossed around during the second round of the playoffs.

Of all the bench players, G$ is the only one who hasn't gotten better as the year went on.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 01:08 PM   #181
LSMF
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post
Green would just feed the turnover machine man. Can't believe a guy who's shown nothing but knuckleheadedness all year gets tossed around during the second round of the playoffs.

Of all the bench players, G$ is the only one who hasn't gotten better as the year went on.
But G$ is the one who had his minutes reduced over the season though.How much could it hurt to play him lets say 5-10 minutes in the second? I know he's cant be that horrible as some are making him out to be.
Old 05-06-2009, 03:36 PM   #182
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

He could hurt the team plenty, by the way Wright palyed very well in game 2 on both ends.
Old 05-06-2009, 03:44 PM   #183
Dirkgreatness
Platinum Member

Dirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to behold

Well i don't know about you guys but I'd rather have Green playing the 2 than Barea.
Old 05-06-2009, 04:11 PM   #184
darkwitzki
Golden Member

darkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of light

Wright+Green+Carroll+Stack =

Last edited by darkwitzki; 05-07-2009 at 10:19 PM.
darkwitzki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 04:35 PM   #185
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Just stop it. Gerald Green sucks.

Period.

Let it go.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 04:40 PM   #186
Dirkgreatness
Platinum Member

Dirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to behold

Hey, as long as that midget lineup is not out there im happy.
Old 05-06-2009, 04:43 PM   #187
LSMF
Diamond Member

We have no athleticism right now. Our most athletic are Green, Hollins and Bass. Bass has been completely neutralized, Hollins is playing well and Green is glued to the bench. I think we need green, if maybe just for a few minutes per game.
Old 05-06-2009, 04:44 PM   #188
LSMF
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post

Period.

Let it go.
Green doesn't suck.

Period.

Let it go.
Old 05-06-2009, 04:53 PM   #189
tcat075
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longsufferingmavsfan View Post
But G$ is the one who had his minutes reduced over the season though.How much could it hurt to play him lets say 5-10 minutes in the second? I know he's cant be that horrible as some are making him out to be.
I agree with this.

Green stopped playing well as his minutes declined.

Then we expect a guy to shift from 10 straight DNP's to producing in 4 minutes, and when he doesn't, he's benched for 5 more DNP's.
Old 05-06-2009, 05:16 PM   #190
tcat075
Diamond Member

Quote:

Period.

Let it go.
Gerald Green has is young, athletic, and has a lot of potential. Like, starter potential.

How many Mavericks can you name like that? Hollins? I don't see Hollins as ever becoming a starter. He's a Birdman type bench player.

Singleton? Good bench player, but never much more than a 7th-9th man off the bench.

Bass and Barea won't vary much from what they are now (and is Barea really "athletic"?).

Maybe Wright can be a viable starter if he ever gets a three point jump shot.

Now, you tell me why we need young, athletic players who could develop into starters? Hmm. Let's see, exhibit A: We are not athletic. Exhibit B: Our starters (I will include JET in this category) average age is over 30. 31.8 to be exact. Sounds like we're going to need some new talent coming up. Exhibit C: See above...we do not have hardly any starter-caliber potential players who make up our bench.

This is why we need Gerald Green. Granted, you may not think he is starter caliber, but I point you to his days in Boston, were he was a regular rotation member and was penciled in as a starter a couple years down the line. I point to the way he has played when he's actually gotten minutes. I simply point to his raw athleticism...he may not play great defense now, but are you telling me an athlete of LeBron James caliber (Ok, ok, that's a little overrating him. But still, he's an incredible athlete) cannot be taught defense? Cannot be taught passing? Cannot be taught rebounding?

If you believe in our coaches, then you should have every reason to believe in Gerald Green. Not as the next LeBron. Not as the next Andre Igoudala, even, or the next Brandon Roy or whatever. Not as a NBA All-team or an All-Star. Just as a guy who has the potential to become our starting SG for the next 5 or 6 years. The potential.
Old 05-06-2009, 05:48 PM   #191
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
This is why we need Gerald Green. Granted, you may not think he is starter caliber, but I point you to his days in Boston, were he was a regular rotation member and was penciled in as a starter a couple years down the line. I point to the way he has played when he's actually gotten minutes. I simply point to his raw athleticism...
He was a rotation member on a horrendous Celtics team that was openly tanking. He was horrible.

Quote:
he may not play great defense now, but are you telling me an athlete of LeBron James caliber (Ok, ok, that's a little overrating him. But still, he's an incredible athlete) cannot be taught defense? Cannot be taught passing? Cannot be taught rebounding?
A little? A little?????

And yes, I'm saying at this point he will never learn defense, never learn passing, and never learn rebounding. He is not a basketball player.

Quote:
If you believe in our coaches, then you should have every reason to believe in Gerald Green. Not as the next LeBron. Not as the next Andre Igoudala, even, or the next Brandon Roy or whatever. Not as a NBA All-team or an All-Star. Just as a guy who has the potential to become our starting SG for the next 5 or 6 years. The potential.
Fine. Believe in the potential. But don't ask that he play regular rotation minutes for my team, because right now he sucks.

I hoped he wouldn't. I called for him to play more earlier in the season. But anyone wanting him to play right now simply hasn't watched his overall performance this season objectively.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 05-06-2009 at 05:49 PM.
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 06:17 PM   #192
tcat075
Diamond Member

Quote:
He was a rotation member on a horrendous Celtics team that was openly tanking. He was horrible.
In the year he played in 81 games, he averaged 10.4 points in 22 mpg. Shot 42% from the floor, 37% from three. Grabbed a couple boards, half a steal and an assist a game. One and a half turnovers per game.

For a second year player, with only 32 previous NBA games, that's a pretty good season. Whatever it is, it certainly isn't horrible. No, its not great, but he's a 2nd year player. Not just a 2nd year player, but 20 years old! I'm sure Boston fans loved this kid. What wasn't to like? Young, athletic, would score, needed a little bit of work on some of his basketball skills but had potential as a first rounder.

Quote:
A little? A little?????

And yes, I'm saying at this point he will never learn defense, never learn passing, and never learn rebounding. He is not a basketball player.
Anyone can be an athlete. Gerald and James each have a similar vertical. James is about 50 pounds heavier then Gerald, so he's got the edge in strength, but I'd bet their 40 times would be similar. Gerald will never have James's knack for passing the ball, will never have James's come-out-of-nowhere shot blocking, will not have the same athleticism if he put on 50 pounds (I don't think he could...), but they are similar athletes.

At this point, Gerald Green is 22. He probably should be a rookie. There are rookies in the NBA who need to learn how to play defense, passing and rebounding. They are the same age as Green. Why should they be any different? Those rookies had good coaches in college, and plenty of playing time. Green hasn't even been given a chance on two teams.

Quote:
Fine. Believe in the potential. But don't ask that he play regular rotation minutes for my team, because right now he sucks.

I hoped he wouldn't. I called for him to play more earlier in the season. But anyone wanting him to play right now simply hasn't watched his overall performance this season objectively.
I have seen him play. In limited minutes, he's sucked. When he was given an extended tryout early in the season, he excelled. His minutes dropped and so did his production.

Look, I am not saying this guy is our future SG for the next 10 years. I think he possibly could be, but right now, he's a guy who may go from team to team as a "project" and eventually jump around on semi-pro teams. He could do that. But I think there is a decent chance that this guy turns into a good player.

I think he stays here next year, and I think the Mavericks look to bring him back. That should tell a lot about Gerald's potential. We as fans see what he does in games, but if the Mavericks make sure to resign Green, I think its pretty obvious they think he has potential.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:20 PM   #193
mavs777
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longsufferingmavsfan View Post
Green doesn't suck.

Period.

Let it go.
Compared to the average NBA player he does suck and really bad, on top of this he has maturity issues

The Mavs should just let him go (release him).
Old 05-06-2009, 06:21 PM   #194
mavs777
Diamond Member

Quote:
Gerald Green has is young, athletic, and has a lot of potential. Like, starter potential.

How many Mavericks can you name like that? Hollins? I don't see Hollins as ever becoming a starter. He's a Birdman type bench player.

Singleton? Good bench player, but never much more than a 7th-9th man off the bench.

Bass and Barea won't vary much from what they are now (and is Barea really "athletic"?).

Maybe Wright can be a viable starter if he ever gets a three point jump shot.

Now, you tell me why we need young, athletic players who could develop into starters? Hmm. Let's see, exhibit A: We are not athletic. Exhibit B: Our starters (I will include JET in this category) average age is over 30. 31.8 to be exact. Sounds like we're going to need some new talent coming up. Exhibit C: See above...we do not have hardly any starter-caliber potential players who make up our bench.

This is why we need Gerald Green. Granted, you may not think he is starter caliber, but I point you to his days in Boston, were he was a regular rotation member and was penciled in as a starter a couple years down the line. I point to the way he has played when he's actually gotten minutes. I simply point to his raw athleticism...he may not play great defense now, but are you telling me an athlete of LeBron James caliber (Ok, ok, that's a little overrating him. But still, he's an incredible athlete) cannot be taught defense? Cannot be taught passing? Cannot be taught rebounding?

Greene doesn;'t have starter potential, you need to play defense in this league and make smart decisions udner pressure, he does both horribly and is a I first player, Next.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:47 PM   #195
tcat075
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavs777 View Post
Greene doesn;'t have starter potential, you need to play defense in this league and make smart decisions udner pressure, he does both horribly and is a I first player, Next.
He went straight from high school to the NBA, then hopped around several teams. He's only 22 years old.

Because of the combination of those three things, and just seeing the effects that the coaching staff has had on some of our young players (especially DA on Josh!), I believe those tendancies can be fixed.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:19 PM   #196
darkwitzki
Golden Member

darkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of light

Wright+Green+Carroll+Stack =
Old 05-07-2009, 10:47 PM   #197
iella
Golden Member

iella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebobbill View Post
Green's inability to excel at defense is not physical, it's mental. If you want to play skill-mix-and-match, consider what Green would be with JJB's court sense.
While you're dreaming, why not give him JKidd's court sense?
iella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 11:58 PM   #198
AxdemxO
Diamond Member

AxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to behold

I still believe Green can be big for this teams future. Hes 22 and could be looked at as a rookie. Most of his problems are mental and can be worked on and fixed. NO WAY do you let this kid go IMO

"It feels disrespectful when you watch these shows, TNT, ESPN, and they're talking, 'Walk through the Mavericks, that's who you want to play," Terry said. "OK. We'll see if that's who you want to play."

........GO MAVS
AxdemxO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 12:11 AM   #199
Dirkgreatness
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavs777 View Post
Amare says hi

Just sayin....
Old 05-08-2009, 02:51 PM   #200
yahyes
Banned

yahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud of

throw in green already to draw fouls n get to the line. that would work well against a nuggets team. not to mention he can dunk.
yahyes is offline   Reply With Quote