Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Political Arena

Old 03-11-2006, 01:21 PM   #1
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Good to hear moderate muslims.

These are some brave folks, hope this person stays safe.

http://littlegreenfootballs.com/webl...ork_Times&only
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/11/in...pagewanted=all
Quote:
LOS ANGELES, March 10 — Three weeks ago, Dr. Wafa Sultan was a largely unknown Syrian-American psychiatrist living outside Los Angeles, nursing a deep anger and despair about her fellow Muslims.

Today, thanks to an unusually blunt and provocative interview on Al Jazeera television on Feb. 21, she is an international sensation, hailed as a fresh voice of reason by some, and by others as a heretic and infidel who deserves to die.

In the interview, which has been viewed on the Internet more than a million times and has reached the e-mail of hundreds of thousands around the world, Dr. Sultan bitterly criticized the Muslim clerics, holy warriors and political leaders who she believes have distorted the teachings of Muhammad and the Koran for 14 centuries.

She said the world’s Muslims, whom she compares unfavorably with the Jews, have descended into a vortex of self-pity and violence.

Dr. Sultan said the world was not witnessing a clash of religions or cultures, but a battle between modernity and barbarism, a battle that the forces of violent, reactionary Islam are destined to lose.

In response, clerics throughout the Muslim world have condemned her, and her telephone answering machine has filled with dark threats.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-2006, 02:25 PM   #2
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

I was thinking earlier today.... yeah i know, it's a nice change for me..

But which culture is really looks worse in the grand scheme of things? The one in which extremists sometimes blow up innocent people or the one where extremists practice legalized abortion left and right to their heart's content?
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 02:55 PM   #3
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

Wow......... then again, extremists of any faith are bad. Not all muslims are extremists, but to me their extremists are the most fervent ones, and the ones that are most likely to cause trouble. Why are they the most fervent ones willing to carry out such acts of violence in the name of their God? I don't know. She does have a point though, when talking about the Jews and Jewish faith.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3
I was thinking earlier today.... yeah i know, it's a nice change for me..

But which culture is really looks worse in the grand scheme of things? The one in which extremists sometimes blow up innocent people or the one where extremists practice legalized abortion left and right to their heart's content?
Extremists? I don't think any religion condones abortion. Those who practice legal abortion can be considered "heretics," as the man puts it on the video.

Last edited by bernardos70; 03-11-2006 at 02:57 PM.
bernardos70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 05:02 PM   #4
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernardos70
Wow......... then again, extremists of any faith are bad. Not all muslims are extremists, but to me their extremists are the most fervent ones, and the ones that are most likely to cause trouble. Why are they the most fervent ones willing to carry out such acts of violence in the name of their God? I don't know. She does have a point though, when talking about the Jews and Jewish faith.

Extremists? I don't think any religion condones abortion. Those who practice legal abortion can be considered "heretics," as the man puts it on the video.
The one which is willing to attempt to kill 30,000 people in an instant and managed to only kill 3000. And millions more if they had the wherewithal. Abortion is a sin and certainly one which can be looked upon as abhorrent, but the moral equivication isn't very close in my reckoning.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 12:13 AM   #5
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

I wasn't talking about religion when mentioning abortion..was talking about American extremists that favor abortion... Obviously you're not a Christian if you favor abortion.
Old 03-12-2006, 09:01 AM   #6
Mavdog
Diamond Member

Mavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud of

what of extremists/terrorists such as james koop or eric rudolph who are anti-abortion?
Mavdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 10:43 AM   #7
Murphy3
Guru

I'm pretty sure that there's more than one way to be classified as an extremist.
Old 03-13-2006, 11:10 AM   #8
mcsluggo
Golden Member

mcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant future

yes, but being part of the mainstream majority (such as those Americans that favor at least some access to abortion) isn't USUALLY a widely used definition of "extremist"
mcsluggo is offline   Reply With Quote