Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Political Arena

Old 04-28-2006, 02:37 PM   #1
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Nuestro Himno?

My prediction: Mavdog will think it's okay...... Doc will not.

Story here.

There is also a link to a story where they play the song in the background. I think the story is a little misguided because they compare the Spanish "Star Spangled Banner" to Jimi Hendrix's awesome guitar wailing rendition. Uhhhhh.... 'kay?
Old 04-28-2006, 02:48 PM   #2
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

sixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of light

First:
I don't remember and spanish or mexican people fighting in the war of independence
Second:
What exactly were they defending?
Third:
The rallies are for illegal immigrants that are not citizens of the United States, so why exactly are they rewriting the song for their own struggle? be original.
Fourth:
The last time I checked, the national language of the United States of America was English.

Last edited by sixeightmkw; 04-28-2006 at 02:48 PM.
sixeightmkw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 03:15 PM   #3
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixeightmkw
First:
I don't remember and spanish or mexican people fighting in the war of independence
History lesson, and another
Quote:
Second:
What exactly were they defending?
Huh? Hispanics in the war? America, duh!
Quote:
Third:
The rallies are for illegal immigrants that are not citizens of the United States, so why exactly are they rewriting the song for their own struggle? be original.
The call is for immigration reform. If you can't see the connection there... not sure I can help you.
Quote:
Fourth:
The last time I checked, the national language of the United States of America was English.
I don't remember anyone calling to have the "national language of the United States of America" to be anything different. Not as it relates to immigration reform anyway.

Last edited by u2sarajevo; 04-28-2006 at 03:19 PM.
u2sarajevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 03:24 PM   #4
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

sixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixeightmkw
First:
I don't remember mexican people fighting in the war of independence
Second:
What exactly were they defending? (How did Mexicans defend anything if not in the war?)
Third:
The rallies are for illegal immigrants that are not citizens of the United States, so why exactly are they rewriting the song for their own struggle? be original. (Yes, the rallies are for reform, for those that know what they are protesting against. But for the MAJORITY of those protesting, it is because they are angry that ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS will be deported)Fourth:
The last time I checked, the national language of the United States of America was English. (When you say that yuou are translating the Star Spangled Banner into Spanish, please translate correctly and not make up your own words and put them in there)
Excuse me, please let me edit what I wrote.
Old 04-28-2006, 03:25 PM   #5
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

And just to mention, there is a huge difference in Spainards and Mexicans.
Old 04-28-2006, 03:48 PM   #6
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

Like I say with all the mexican customers I deal with on a daily basis trying to talk to them on the phone, if you come to the US and want to do business, LEARN FREAKIN ENGLISH. I work with 8 other women who are in their 40's and are Mexican and they say the same thing. White teachers in DISD are being passed over right now for jobs because the KIDS DON"T EVEN SPEAK ENGLSIH. WTF!!!
but anyway, there ismy rant.
Old 04-28-2006, 03:51 PM   #7
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

We have laws that prohibit the illegal crossing of our borders to enter our country.

Illegal aliens have committed a crime. Liberals will think that is ok. I do not.

We have an established method of immigrating into the US. I am in favor of legal immigration and support those folks who do it legally.

Remember, immigration reform is not illegal alien appeasement.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 04:08 PM   #8
Gus

Gus is a jewel in the roughGus is a jewel in the roughGus is a jewel in the roughGus is a jewel in the roughGus is a jewel in the rough

I was reading the article in the DMN about all the illegals not showing up for work because they thought there would be raids. They gave the names of the employers in the article. I'm just wondering when INS is going to go down there and bust these employers. One place had only 2 of 35 people show up. They HAVE to know they've hired illegals.

I'm confused why we need new laws when we don't bother enforcing the ones in place already.

Last edited by Gus; 04-28-2006 at 04:08 PM.
Gus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 04:10 PM   #9
Mavdog
Diamond Member

Mavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud of

the song is a tribute to the usa. it doesn't need to be sung in english to be positive.

it isn't intended to replace the national anthem.

it is important for all immigrants to the usa to learn english and to use english as their primary language. this aids them in a multiple of ways, and also aids their children in their future lives.

there isn't a single ethnic group in our country's history who have come to america to lose their past. that is what has made the usa the "stew" that it is today, and has helped to make us one of the few societies in the world that does provide opportunity for every ethnic group to climb the ladder of socioeconomic levels.

as far as illegal immigrants, we should legitimize those who have come here and improved themselves and their family's lives, and have contributed to our nations succcess. the last thing we should do is to penalize or add a burden to them and their children.
Mavdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 07:19 PM   #10
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

I don't think the National Anthem should be signed for deaf people either.

It should just be sung louder. In English.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 09:02 PM   #11
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

I have to say that reading those lyrics and hearing that rendition left me more moved than anything political has a in a *long* time.

But then again, I'm a fan of the Mexican, so perhaps it just hit a particularly sympathetic chord. I'd expect that folks in, say, Nebraska or Indiana might not feel the same.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 09:40 PM   #12
Drbio
Banned

I felt a movement when I heard it too.....then I went took a shit and got rid of it. The writer of this song today called the national anthem a drinking game song. Pretty respectful there huh?
Old 04-28-2006, 09:45 PM   #13
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drbio
I felt a movement when I heard it too.....then I went took a shit and got rid of it. The writer of this song today called the national anthem a drinking game song. Pretty respectful there huh?
Uhm...that's corrrect.

The music to The Star Spangled Banner was originally an English drinking song.

Quote:
To Anacreon in Heaven

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search
"To Anacreon in Heaven" was the official song of the Anacreontic Society, a club of amateur musicians in London who gathered regularly to perform concerts. These barristers, doctors, and other professional men named their club after the Greek court poet Anacreon (6th century BC), whose poems, "anacreontics", were used to entertain patrons in Teos and Athens. His songs often celebrated women, wine, and entertaining, and today can be considered eroticism.
The connection with Anacreon, along with the "drinking" nature of the lyrics, have caused many people to label "To Anacreon in Heaven" as a drinking song. In all probability some drinking did occur at Society meetings, but the primary purpose of the Society (and its song) was to promote an interest in music.
The tune was probably composed (there is only one known firsthand account, by Society member John Samuel Stevens) by a member of the Society, John Stafford Smith, to lyrics by the Society's president, Ralph Tomlinson. Smith wrote the tune in the mid-1760s, while still a teenager. It was first published by Longman & Broderip in London in 1778/1779.
The song, through its bawdy and imbibing lyrics, gained popularity in London and elsewhere beyond the Anacreontic Society, and new lyrics were also fashioned for it, including, in the United States, under such patriotic titles as "Adams and Liberty" and "Jefferson and Liberty."
The melody, if not the original lyrics, became well-known after Francis Scott Key, an attorney, wrote In Defense of Fort McHenry while detained on a British ship during the night of September 13, 1814 as the British forces bombarded the American fort. Key most likely wrote the poem with Stafford's tune in mind. He had written an earlier poem to the same meter scheme. Later retitled The Star-Spangled Banner, Key's words with Stafford's music became a well-known and recognized patriotic song throughout the United States and was officially designated as the U.S. national anthem in 1931. The same melody, albeit sung off-key, was used as a Betelgeusean death anthem in the BBC production of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Last edited by MavKikiNYC; 04-28-2006 at 09:50 PM.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 09:45 PM   #14
orangedays
Platinum Member

orangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant future

Quote:
I felt a movement when I heard it too.....then I went took a and got rid of it.
That Mexican food will get to ya.

Last edited by orangedays; 04-28-2006 at 09:47 PM.
orangedays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 09:51 PM   #15
Drbio
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavKikiNYC
Uhm...that's corrrect.

The music to The Star Spangled Banner was originally an English drinking song.
The manner in which he said that was intended to be derogatory. I am well aware of the the related tune. The writer was saying that the National anthem was nothing more than a drinking song and was being totally derogatory. As such, he can go fark himself.
Old 04-28-2006, 09:52 PM   #16
Mavdog
Diamond Member

Mavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud of

Quote:
not too surprising to us, we've known for a long time that you're full of it.
Old 04-28-2006, 09:59 PM   #17
Drbio
Banned

Ba-zing.....If that is the case, I guess you take a heaping pile of stupid seeing as how that is all we get out of you.

Last edited by Drbio; 04-28-2006 at 10:01 PM.
Old 04-28-2006, 10:07 PM   #18
Mavdog
Diamond Member

Quote:
The manner in which he said that was intended to be derogatory. I am well aware of the the related tune. The writer was saying that the National anthem was nothing more than a drinking song and was being totally derogatory. As such, he can go fark himself.
perhaps you had too much crap in your system to understand "the writer".

Quote:
Adam Kidron, chief executive of the label that released the new version of the anthem, Urban Box Office Records, said in a statement that the song helped those who did not speak English "to fully understand the character of 'The Star-Spangled Banner,' the American flag and the ideals of freedom that they represent."

Singer Andy Andy, who contributed to the recording, said on local Spanish radio station 107.5 FM, that the translation pays "careful attention to the essence" of the national anthem.

"It's a respectful translation," he said
Old 04-28-2006, 10:10 PM   #19
Drbio
Banned

I love it when the forum dipshit mavdog thinks he knows where others sources are......

He (kidron) was on CNN earlier today acting angry and building himself up to be a savior. He isn't.

Last edited by Drbio; 04-28-2006 at 10:12 PM.
Old 04-28-2006, 10:13 PM   #20
Mavdog
Diamond Member

Quote:
Perhaps inbreeding with your own daughter makes it where you think you know where that came from.....
your infantile comments, and frankly complete lack of class, is sufficient in itself to expose you.

no further comment is needed....
Old 04-28-2006, 10:15 PM   #21
Drbio
Banned

*Yawn* If you weren't such a presumptuous (and funny enough always wrong when you do it) asshole, this forum would be enjoyable.

Aw how sweet....mavdog cried again to the mods. He loves to incite but can't take it coming back. Dumbass.

Last edited by Drbio; 04-28-2006 at 10:21 PM.
Old 04-29-2006, 12:57 AM   #22
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Cite, please. If you don't mind.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 07:02 AM   #23
Mavdog
Diamond Member

Quote:
*Yawn* If you weren't such a presumptuous (and funny enough always wrong when you do it) asshole, this forum would be enjoyable.

Aw how sweet....mavdog cried again to the mods. He loves to incite but can't take it coming back. Dumbass.
in this case, my only presumption was validated, that being that you revel in tasteless, gutterall posts, that you like to be obscene, and that you enjoy calling people names.

oh yeah, and that you send pm's that shouldn't be read by anyone under the age of 21....

as far as "the mods", I am not guilty. just another in your series of mistakes that establish a pattern of being wrong.

when shown that the author was a) correct in his history about the national anthem being a drinking song, and b) explicitly stating that he intends the spanish adaptation to be one of respect, all you can do is backtrack, feebily insult, and act like a 3rd grader out on the playground.

yikes. it's just sad...
Old 04-29-2006, 03:43 PM   #24
Drbio
Banned

Well now we know mavdickie to be a liar as well as I was told of the complaint by a mod. Thanks for confirming that one dipshit. The sad thing is that you never think you are wrong when so consistently are just that. Sad indeed. But totally expected.

As for the article you posted, fine. You found an article that contradicts what the guy was saying on a nationally recognized CNN broadcast. I guess that he contradicts himself is very attrractive to you since you do it daily.

Last edited by Drbio; 04-29-2006 at 07:14 PM.
Old 04-29-2006, 03:44 PM   #25
Drbio
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
Cite, please. If you don't mind.
As is clearly indicated in another post above....it was on a CNN interview. Turn on the TV. He (kidron) was pathetic.
Old 04-29-2006, 04:08 PM   #26
Mavdog
Diamond Member

Quote:
Well now we know mavdickie to be a liar as well as I was told of the complaint by a mod. Thanks for confirming that one dipshit. The sad thing is that you never think you are wrong when so consistently are just that. Sad indeed. But totally expected.
prove I complained to a mod. you can't as it did not happen.

making up fabrications is not a very honorable trait.

pathetic, absolutely childish of you. but you're very consistent.
Old 04-29-2006, 04:11 PM   #27
orangedays
Platinum Member

orangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant future

Bush Says Anthem Should Be in English (Linkage)
By JEANNINE AVERSA, AP Economics Writer

Friday, April 28, 2006

(04-28) 10:03 PDT WASHINGTON, (AP) --

The national anthem should be sung in English — not Spanish — President Bush declared Friday, amid growing restlessness over the millions of immigrants here illegally.

"One of the things that's very important is, when we debate this issue, that we not lose our national soul," the president exclaimed. "One of the great things about America is that we've been able to take people from all walks of life bound as one nation under God. And that's the challenge ahead of us."

A Spanish language version of the national anthem was released Friday by a British music producer, Adam Kidron, who said he wanted to honor America's immigrants.

When the president was asked at a Rose Garden question-and-answer session whether the anthem should be sung in Spanish, he replied: "I think the national anthem ought to be sung in English, and I think people who want to be a citizen of this country ought to learn English and they ought to learn to sing the national anthem in English."

He made his remarks on the matters during a wide-ranging briefing with reporters.

"I think people who want to be citizens of this country ought to learn English," Bush said.

The president's comments came amid a burgeoning national debate — and congressional fight — over legislation pending in Congress, and pushed by Bush, to overhaul U.S. immigration law.

Bush called on lawmakers to move forward on legislation — now stalled — that would revamp immigration laws.

"I want a comprehensive bill," Bush said that includes enforcement as well as giving temporary worker status to some illegal immigrants.

Large numbers of immigrant groups have planned an economic boycott next week to dramatize their call for legislation providing legal status for millions of people in the United States illegally.

"You know, I'm not a supporter of boycotts," Bush said. " I am a supporter of comprehensive immigration ... I think most Americans agree that we've got to enforce our border. I don't think there's any question about that."

His remarks followed release of the Spanish language version of the song, called "Nuestro Himno" or "Our Anthem."
orangedays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 07:11 PM   #28
Drbio
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavdog
prove I complained to a mod. you can't as it did not happen.
Stick with your story liar. Figures.
Old 04-29-2006, 07:28 PM   #29
Mavdog
Diamond Member

Quote:
Stick with your story liar. Figures.
waiting for your proof. without any it is clear and indisputable who is dishonest....

we're waiting...
Old 04-29-2006, 07:52 PM   #30
Drbio
Banned

Not going to show you a pm as it violates our terms. You know this which is why you are making such a fuss. Sorry dipshit, but your antics aren't fooling anyone.

Stick with your story though liar.

Last edited by Drbio; 04-29-2006 at 07:53 PM.
Old 04-29-2006, 07:57 PM   #31
Mavdog
Diamond Member

you have no pm. you made it up, pulling it out of your ass.

you have been caught and revealed.

let's see, infantile, obscene, and now dishonest.

truly sad. so very, very sad.
Old 04-29-2006, 07:59 PM   #32
Drbio
Banned

To borrow a phrase from the forum retard...yuck yuck yuck...keep it up...we are laughing.

Stick to your lies liar.
Old 04-29-2006, 08:07 PM   #33
Mavdog
Diamond Member

no, I don't believe anyone is laughing.

some may be smirking at your backtracking and dishonesty.

but rather than laughing, I'm betting they are just shaking their heads. in a way that indicates pity.

see, when someone is as dishonest as you apparently are, it's sad, not funny.

clearly if you had some proof- the mod pm for instance- you'd rush to post it and clear yourself.

but you don't, because it doesn't exist. I never said a thing to a mod about your obscene pm's, or your taseless, classless posts. I don't need to, they speak volumes by themselves.

yeah, pitiful just about nails it.
Old 04-29-2006, 08:11 PM   #34
Drbio
Banned

*Yawn*

Continue on with your charade if you must liar. Keep it up.

It's kind of funny. You only basically come here to infest this forum and contribute little anywhere else (not that you contribute here so I am not surprised). A short perusal of the GDT for instance shows you don't care about the Mavs enough to post. That and you are a liar. So Sad.

I'll check back later for your next lame ass reply.

Last edited by Drbio; 04-29-2006 at 08:18 PM.
Old 04-29-2006, 08:22 PM   #35
Mavdog
Diamond Member

no pm? no proof?

who is the liar?

pitiful.

that's all I have for this sorry episode, I've exposed you for EXACTLY what you are. when you have ANY proof of your false accusation, show it.

it will NEVER appear, it doesn't exist.

sad. so very sad.

how does it feel to be pitied?
Old 04-29-2006, 08:23 PM   #36
Drbio
Banned

*Yawn*

More misdirect from the liar. Who didn't see that coming? Please do feel free to continue with this exercise of futility. I can retort all night liar. We are still waiting for your first contribution to the sites' purpose too. I liked how you blazed past that. Liar.

*Yawn*

Last edited by Drbio; 04-29-2006 at 08:25 PM.