Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 05-24-2006, 02:28 AM   #1
wunderkind03

wunderkind03 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default the next dirk??

alright, since nellie and the mavs struck gold with this german kid a few years back scouts have been surveying all around europe for the next dirk. finding a player at par with dirk's versatility and height is obviously no easy task. you got darko who's been a bust so far and even tskitishvili who's done nothing except warming benches. this year some kid named Andrea Bargani has scouts claiming that he fits the nowtizki mold. his stock's gone pretty high and yahoo has him being drafted at 5th.

here's bargani's player profile from http://nbadraft.net/profiles/andreabargnani.asp

NBA Comparison: Dirk Nowitzki

Good foot work, soft hands even if he's not particularly strong ... A fast player with very quick feet and first step for such a big guy, runs well in the fast break ... Shoots it quickly, with solid release and is also a great catch and shoot player ... Good one on one player who prefers to face the basket ... Bouncy, and will get up multiple times off two feet ... Good shot blocker ... Played an average of 12 minutes per game this season (2004-05) ... Generally impacts game tempo in a positive way when he's on the floor ... Makes plays.

Weaknesses: Needs to develop more body strength for the NBA, as he can be moved off the block. His strength has really gotten better in the past year, but he still has aways to go... Still very new to the game having played at the professional level for only two seasons ... Missed parts of the 2004-05 season due to illnesses ... Excellent shot mechanics, but could use more arc on his shot ... Favors his right hand, and needs to be a better back to basket offensive player ... Indecisive passer at times, but employs proper tecnique ... With no Italian players in the NBA, it could hurt him slightly in scouts minds ... Emotional player, he needs more experience in order to gain more confidence.

-Stefano Cioppi 7/8/05

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Strengths: The only young 6-10 Italian prospect that can play as pure small forward and not only under the basket as power forward or center... He has a well built body with excellent athletic skills. On the offensive side he prefers going one-on-one and can score in many ways: shooting from outside, finishing a fast-break or on low-post moves. He's even adept at beating his defender off the dribble due to his great ball-handling skills including dribbling through his legs and behind the back. He runs the court very well with good speed and quickness despite his size. Has soft hands to shoot from three or from the mid range, that's his best quality. Free throw shooting is another strength. Under the basket he is not so tough, but has nice moves. On the defensive side, he has good fundamentals and likes to block shots and has excellent timing. He's also a hard worker and coachable.

Weaknesses: Like many European kids he needs to increase his body strength and add some muscles. Has to improve his rebounding skills and defense on small forwards at times. Mentally he still needs to progress. Has a tendency to rely on his jumper too much and not take the ball to basket as often as a 6-10 player should. Born in 1985, so he's still learning the game and has very little experience at a ahigh level, but Benetton Treviso is the right team for Andrea to become a great player.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
and here's a video of bargani from google video
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...ani&pr=goog-sl

thoughts?
Old 05-24-2006, 10:45 AM   #2
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

What if we traded up and drafted him?

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 11:45 AM   #3
snoop

snoop is a jewel in the roughsnoop is a jewel in the roughsnoop is a jewel in the rough

every year its the next dirk
Old 05-24-2006, 02:09 PM   #4
Tokey41
Platinum Member

Tokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to behold

Oh I get it... it's because hes big and European, right?
Tokey41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 02:41 PM   #5
bobatundi
Golden Member

bobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond repute

ESPN Insider has him going #1 to the Raptors. Like they need another PF. This kid wouldn't get any PT behind Bosh & Hairless Charlie.
bobatundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 03:22 PM   #6
The Crippler
Diamond Member

The Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant future

when will people understand that there is only one Dirk...
"I say 'Hey Lama, how about a little something ya know', for the effort?' And he says 'oh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that going for me...which is nice."
The Crippler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 05:45 PM   #7
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Crippler
when will people understand that there is only one Dirk...
Yeah, he'll probably end up more like a Vlad Radmanovic.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 12:50 PM   #8
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

The thing about dirk is what makes him special isnt just the height and shooting, its his work ethic. He is one of the very few players in nba history to make himself a great rebounder. He works at least as hard as anyone in the game. You will never know if these guys will do that until its too late.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 04:03 PM   #9
TomThaMavsFan

TomThaMavsFan will become famous soon enoughTomThaMavsFan will become famous soon enough

I'm glad everyone is trying to get the next Dirk, what a compliment to one of the greatest mavs player ever. he looks OK , but he's playing against Euro's, i'm sure if you throw Pavel over there he will look like Shaq.
TomThaMavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 04:48 PM   #10
Knickfan

Knickfan is a jewel in the roughKnickfan is a jewel in the roughKnickfan is a jewel in the rough

It's a great compliment I'm sure but it's almost like when people kept saying, the next great guard was the next Michael Jordan. All these years and no one REALLY has been able to do what Michael Jordan has done. It's the same way no one will be able to do what Dirk does. Dirk is an anomaly! Once his skills deteriorate, there may be another player similar to him some 10 to 15 years from now but in the meantime, I'm SICK of hearing about the next european player is the next "Dirk".

That's what I heard about Paul Gasol, that he was going to be better than Dirk... Yeah right, he can't hold Dirk's jock!
Knickfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 07:26 PM   #11
SeriousSummer
Golden Member

SeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant future

1. Pau Gasol is a heckuva player--but he's nowhere close to Dirk; and

2. Pavel couldn't get any time on the court in Europe. This is partly due to the playing style--any big man is automatically doubled in the post, so the emphasis is on quickness and shooting for European big men.
SeriousSummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 02:56 AM   #12
twelli
Diamond Member

twelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan
The thing about dirk is what makes him special isnt just the height and shooting, its his work ethic. He is one of the very few players in nba history to make himself a great rebounder. He works at least as hard as anyone in the game. You will never know if these guys will do that until its too late.
That's exactly what I thought. The amazing thing about THE DIRK is how he has steadily and systematically improved his game over the years.

He's the ultimate gym-rat + cool-guy combination that only comes around once in a few decades.

“He’s always around 23 or 24,” West said. “The bell rings every day.”
twelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 01:29 PM   #13
SeriousSummer
Golden Member

SeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant future

Bargnani does look like he's got a big enough body to put on much in the way of muscle.
SeriousSummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 02:18 PM   #14
MikeB
Golden Member

MikeB has a spectacular aura aboutMikeB has a spectacular aura about

He looks damn good. It is against Euros and nobody ran at him or clubbed him as he drove. I think he goes #2 to Chicago. LeMarcus goes #1
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 03:45 PM   #15
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

The Lebrons, Melos, Wades, Howards, Yaos, Pauls are putting a lot of pressure on players. Really since 2002, players that were pick in the top 5 have either came in and immediately contributed, and/or became all stars. I think over the next few years, teams are going to go for safe picks. In Toronto's case, i'd go for either Morrison or Gay. They're not that far off of competing for the playoffs, so they should start to worry about putting good role players around bosh. They've got Vills, James, and Peterson.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman

Last edited by Nash13; 05-30-2006 at 03:45 PM.
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 03:47 PM   #16
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

"the next dirk??"

watch your mouth!

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 09:01 AM   #17
ballin_boi
Banned

ballin_boi is a jewel in the roughballin_boi is a jewel in the roughballin_boi is a jewel in the roughballin_boi is a jewel in the roughballin_boi is a jewel in the rough

there is no next dirk, just like dirk isn't the next larry legend.

with that said i think the kid could at least be a servicable back up pf/sf or a solid starter on some other team.
ballin_boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 01:33 AM   #18
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light

I thought Pistons had the next Dirk with Darko: They drafted in front of Wade and Carmelo.
Old 06-02-2006, 02:04 PM   #19
Tokey41
Platinum Member

Tokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to behold

If Darko was on as crappy a team as Miami or Denver were at the time of being drafted i'm sure he would have been a decent rookie, although he probably wouldn't have been as good a player initially as either of those two. But he went to the team with that ridiculous play five guys philosophy (that works I guess...). Anyway Toronto needs size, scoring, and a point guard. Since there are no pg's worthy of #1 Aldridge is the safest bet and Bosh's boy. I can see them taking Morrison too though for some more firepower.
Old 06-02-2006, 02:09 PM   #20
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

if they take aldridge they will be going the following the hawks mode of drafting. Draft a forward every year though they would be drafting 4s while atlanta drafts 3s.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 03:35 PM   #21
Tokey41
Platinum Member

He would likely play center, im sure Bosh is getting tired of that.
Old 06-04-2006, 12:09 AM   #22
Strokepod

Strokepod is on a distinguished road

Aldridge will go one and play center, just because they compare him to dirk doesnt make it so.
Strokepod is offline   Reply With Quote