Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 09-03-2003, 10:42 AM   #1
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default which big screen TV to buy?

any suggestions?
going HDtv, wide screen..yada yada

definitely not plasma at this point.

anyone know of some good deals...who to avoid? etc., etc
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-2003, 10:47 AM   #2
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: which big screen TV to buy?

my future father-in-law has a mitsubishi and it's a great TV. it's lasted a long time with no problems, so I assume the newer mitsubishis would be just as reliable.

My brother has a SONY, but he just got it about 2 months ago. He likes it, but I couldn't tell you much about it.
Old 09-03-2003, 11:16 AM   #3
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

I know a guy with a rear projection widescreen Mitsubishi and he loves it. Loves the features it offers. He can split the screen and play his PS2 on one half and have the Cowboy game on the other side. It also has a hookup for his computer and he plays Diablo II on it from time to time. I think that is excessive.

Everyone else I know with a big creen has a Sony; you never hear complaints about Sony.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 11:24 AM   #4
DNNF
Golden Member

DNNF will become famous soon enoughDNNF will become famous soon enough

gotta get the XBR sony. You will not be disappointed.

DNNF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 11:27 AM   #5
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

dooby, the Picture outside of picture (the split screen) is awesome. especially during football season. have one game on the left, the other on the right. and the resultant size of each side is still so damn big.
Old 09-03-2003, 03:23 PM   #6
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

I think TVs are in an extreme state of flux right now.

18 months ago I just bought a good ol' $800 flat tube Toshiba and decided to stick it out a while. In 4 or 5 years, I'll be able to run out and get whatever 4-inch thick, HUGE, widescreen HD monitor I want, with no conscience, and you'll be stuck with your big expensive clunker from 2003 and feeling sorry for yourself. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 03:27 PM   #7
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

I bought a Mitsubishi. Damn fine TV - 73" of high def glory.

Here are some sites that I used for research.

http://www.hometheatermag.com/

http://www.tvauthority.com/faqs.asp

http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/plasmatv.html
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 03:37 PM   #8
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

rhylan, i'd just move it to my bedroom and get a new one for the living room
Old 09-03-2003, 03:37 PM   #9
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Quote:
Originally posted by: Rhylan
I think TVs are in an extreme state of flux right now.

18 months ago I just bought a good ol' $800 flat tube Toshiba and decided to stick it out a while. In 4 or 5 years, I'll be able to run out and get whatever 4-inch thick, HUGE, widescreen HD monitor I want, with no conscience, and you'll be stuck with your big expensive clunker from 2003 and feeling sorry for yourself. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

For myself, I agree with Rhylan. I am not buying a new TV until I need a new TV. The price on these things is going to continue to drop. But for Murph, who is getting a new house, I think the expense now is justified. particularly if your house has built-ins designed for that kind of video equipment.

At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Old 09-03-2003, 03:51 PM   #10
Blonde Bomber
Golden Member

Blonde Bomber is on a distinguished road

Philips is coming out with some cutting edge technology on there new plasmas. This is one SWEET TV!!
I had to go the FRY's Electronics to buy a steamcleaner and I ran over to see what new big screens the had on display and ran across this....

They were playing Men in Black II, and I swear I was watching it in some SICK HD mode. Come to find out it is some new technololgy that Philip's is using. I swear the movie was so clear and sharp it looked almost 3D, like you could reach right through the screen, it was awesome. You get the HI-DEF look, (actually looks better to me), without paying the HI-DEF price. And that means crystal clear picture with all channells on your satellite and all DVD and all game consoles.

The TV i saw was a think a 55' widescreen going for only $3,999.00 .... not bad when comparing with other plasmas that are on the market.

I'm actually thinking about buying it this Christmas.

Here are some other specs I pulled about the TV...

Cineos is powered by Philips Single Panel LCOS which provides the truest colors & sharpest images available.
No Visible Pixel Grid in the viewable image & No Burn In of static images so computer data images and video gamers are at home with Cineos.
Light weight stylish design. The 55" & 44" are 95 & 73 pounds respectively and come with the swivel base. Stand is optional.

Cineos Key Features

Pixel Plus+ provides High Definition like image quality from any analog source
Digital Natural Motion eliminates judder from film images & gives 3D picture quality
Movie Plus+ helps elimate artifacts and haloing from DNM processing
Active Control Plus+ monitors incoming analog signal 60 times per second for complete optimization of image
2 Tuner Double Window PIP allows for two shows to be viewed at the same time...even High Defintion!
HD Component Inputs & DVI inputs allow for all types of signals to be connected from 480i to 1080i to the TV set

Feature Matrix

Feature 44_55PL9773 44_55PL9523

Pixel Plus™ Yes No
Digital Natural Motion™ Yes Yes
Active Control Plus+™ Yes Yes
Movie Plus+™ Yes Yes
2 Tuner Double Window PIP Yes Yes
8 Picture Format Modes for Analog
signals & 7 Picture Format Modes for
Digital or High Definition signals Yes Yes
2 "flexible" HD Component
Inputs (Y,Pb,Pr) which support
480i, 480p, 720p, & 1080i Yes Yes
1 DVI input with HDCP
(High Definition Copy Protection) Yes Yes
1 VGA input with SXGA or WXGA
support (768 x 1024 or 768 x 1280) Yes Yes
Side A/V Jacks with S-Video
& Headphone Jack Yes Yes
Virtual Dolby® Surround, 40 Watt RMS Yes Yes
Center Channel Audio Input
with internal or external
amplifier support Yes Yes
3D Y/C Comb Filter Yes Yes
6000 hour Philips UHP lamp Yes Yes
11 element Carl Zeiss Lens System Yes Yes
Anti-Glare High Contrast Screen Yes No
Metal Speaker Grills Yes No
Included Swivel Base Yes Yes
Optional Matching
Stand(ST449773 -
44 inch / ST559773 - 55 inch) Yes Yes

Blonde Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 05:13 PM   #11
Dooby
Diamond Member

I'd like to quote my kid will say when he sees something he is interested in and likes, "Buh?!"

Old 09-03-2003, 05:53 PM   #12
Murphy3
Guru

i thought i'd just got to best buy and load up.

I'll be buying a fridge, big screen tv, washer dryer, and a new computer....should be an expensive trip.
Old 09-03-2003, 08:22 PM   #13
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

Hey, Murph..

You might want to wonder over to fatwallet.com and browse their forums. People are constantly posting how to get great deals on this type of stuff. Whether it be getting Best Buy to price match a Circuit City or vice versa (plus 10% off). Fatwallet is widely considered the best place to discover deals and how to "beat" the system.
Old 09-04-2003, 08:15 AM   #14
Murphy3
Guru

cool, thanks for the advice OA.
i won't be purchasing any of this for another 4 months or so, but I can check out fatwallet.com and see what it's all about.
Old 09-04-2003, 05:03 PM   #15
Ummmmm Ok
Platinum Member

Ummmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to all

Murph Last time I bought electronic equipment it was for my Truck.

Go to www.crutchfield.com. They ship it right to your house for you. You get free shipping on orders of 199.00 or more, and you get it in 3 days. If anybody knows about car stereo systems they know about Crutchfield. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

just an Idea bro,

Richard

Too many leaders act as if the sheep.. their people.. are there for the benefit of the shepherd, not that the shepherd has responsibility for the sheep. Ken Blanchard

What we think determines what happens to us, so if we want to change our lives, we need to stretch our minds. Wayne Dyer

These are things that I read and live by!
Ummmmm Ok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2003, 07:33 PM   #16
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally posted by: Murphy3
cool, thanks for the advice OA.
i won't be purchasing any of this for another 4 months or so, but I can check out fatwallet.com and see what it's all about.
In that case, DEFINITELY browse fatwallet every few days. If you're in no big hurry, I'd be willing to bet you could save hundreds...just wait for it. There is usually at least ONE kickass deal on big screens a month.
Old 10-30-2003, 02:13 PM   #17
Murphy3
Guru

Default RE:which big screen TV to buy?

and we have a winner..toshiba 61 inches of glory..widescreen/HD

edit - brain freeze
Old 10-30-2003, 04:22 PM   #18
dallas_esq
Golden Member

dallas_esq is a jewel in the roughdallas_esq is a jewel in the roughdallas_esq is a jewel in the rough

Kill your television.
Old 10-30-2003, 07:05 PM   #19
Max Power
Banned

Max Power is on a distinguished road

Quote:
and we have a winner..toshiba 61 inches of glory..widescreen/HD
Coolness
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 09:16 AM   #20
Blonde Bomber
Golden Member

Blonde Bomber is on a distinguished road

Murphy...

you'll be very happy with your Toshiba. I bought a 40 inch Toshiba WS/HD TV from Best Buy a few year ago and have been very happy with my TV. Toshiba puts out a great product without killing you in the wallet.
Blonde Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 10:25 AM   #21
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts

The game room in the bathroom. Just for two.

Jacuzzi-style entertainment for two

Here's a little gift for that special someone who has everything: an ergonomic Jacuzzi tub for two with a 43-inch flat plasma screen TV, sound system and DVD. Fill up the tub, turn on the underwater lights and the 10 adjustable water jets, then grab your sweetie, a movie and the floating remote control and you're in business. There's a built-in CD and stereo AM/FM tuner. The tub, depending on configuration, costs "about" $30,000 (installation not included). That'll put a crimp in the holiday gift budget.

You want one? So do we. Grab a measuring tape and run to the loo to see if it'll fit: It's 84.375 inches long, 73.5 inches wide and 50.625 inches high - bigger than some bathrooms we know. It comes in black or white and holds 125 gallons of water, enough for an entire armada of rubber ducks. There are side-by-side ergonomic loungers, a supposedly energy-efficient, self-draining, double-insulated pump and a patented "Silent Air" induction system.

Purchase the La Scala (Model T650) through the Jazucci site http://jacuzzi.com/ online or check the site for dealer locations.

Old 12-22-2003, 06:03 PM   #22
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

That cant even come close to the setup for Tony Montana in Scarface!!!

Old 04-03-2004, 10:56 PM   #23
Murphy3
Guru

The Toshiba TV thing fell through. I ended up getting a new truck instead. I had too good of a deal to pass up.
Old 04-03-2004, 10:59 PM   #24
Smiles
Diamond Member

Smiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud of

Quote:
The Toshiba TV thing fell through. I ended up getting a new truck instead. I had too good of a deal to pass up.
so what kind of TV did you get?
Old 04-04-2004, 12:16 AM   #25
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

I believe he got a dlp, it's in his new baby thread. I think it's a good choice. The plasma's are a lot more expensive but they are really flat which is cool. The dlp's however should really last basically forever. You have to replace the light bulb every 4-5 years or so I believe (less than 100 bucks). And if the ic inside goes out that also should be easy to replace. Nice good picture and pretty light.

The new RCA's are also pretty flat..
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 12:41 AM   #26
Murphy3
Guru

the dlp's and the lcd's are great...they're basically running the plasmas out of best buy because the quality is so close to that of the plasma but they're so much cheaper.