Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 06-24-2016, 03:26 AM   #81
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

I've been saying this about Parsons all along. He made an extra 15(?)as a result of that signing- courtesy of Dirk and Cuban. So that right there is the difference made up between 15 or staring at 22M this season and then some. Assuming he opted in at 16 and then starts around 22M in 2017 he's still 8M ahead.

I was one of the most vocal posters on the topic of his picture with DeAndre. I read that as disloyalty and a lack of self awareness and thankfulness for the opportunity afforded him by Dirk and Cubans generosity. He could re-sign here after all but it's looking less likely. Who here would really be all that surprised if it turns out Parsons is really a bit of a shallow twit?
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-2016, 03:43 AM   #82
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
I think the Mavs are ready to move on from Parsons because he just screwed an aweseome pitch for Conley and Whiteside with not opting in.

With everyone opting out (Dirk, Parsons, Deron) we have ~61m cap. Chandler opting in fo his ~16m would still mean around 45m cap (i think Dirk gives the green light to re-sign for the small exection if they strike gold in the FA). Thats enough to offer Conley and Whiteside their max and make the pitch about having a complete awesome S5 (Conley-Wes-Parsons-Dirk-Whiteside) and three solid bench guys (Barea/Devin/Justin). Awesome looking team and pitch.

All Parsons had to do for this was collecting a 16m paycheck next season and trusting Cubans promise (pretty sure he made that) to take care of him next summer with a big contract. The Mavs trusted Parsons and gave him the huge contract (everyone saying they overpaid) and what did Parsons? Got hurt two times in a row and let a close friend screw the franchise last summer, after all the GM Parsons attention whore bullshit on social media. You should think that Parsons kind of "owned" the Mavs one (specially Dirk, who made Chandlers huge contract possible).

But again no, Chandler wasnt willing to do this. And its not even sacrificing something when you know that Cuban would always keep his word and pay him next summer. Now the pitch is "Wes and Dirk and around 15m to spend on someone we dont know who it would be"

So yeah im pretty tired of injuried Parsons, wannabe GM Parsons and "me first" Parsons and ready to move on. The last thing i want is the FO being on Chandlers door after midnight "here, you are awesome, take your 20m+ contract"

He fucked us two times in the playoffs, last summer as part of the Jordan bullshit and now he ruined an awesome FA situation (adding two max contracts to a Dirk/Wes/Parsons core) with selfish opting out. If he would be all about winning and Mavs are awesome and Dirk is awesome he would have give the franchise the possibilty to add two new max guys.

Im pretty sure Cuban was pretty pissed about Chandlers attitude here.
I think he was merely trying to free up the extra 4m or so that we would save from his cap hold which is 20m now that he declined to opt in. 4m would not keep us from some sort of pipe dream scenario of Whiteside and Conley(which btw is absolutely ludicrous to think we could get both of them with and especially without parsons) . Harris and Barea both have 4m cap hits and could be moved if something like that fell in our lap.

I highly doubt our FO is ready to move on solely because he wouldn't save us 4m in cap space. Especially considering the fiasco that goes on here every off season in free agency. Every year we covet our cap space and every year we sign anything except "plan a", with the sole exception of when we had to overpay parsons to get him as a RFA. If our grand plan was for ppl to take team friendly discounts/opt in to help the FO, so we could once again chase a highly unlikely scenario, and in that scenario we also try to get those highly unlikely players to also take unlikely to highly unlikely discounts as well... then the fault lies in the FO not the players. Outside of Dirk and a handful of guys in the NBA, not many are walkin around taking discounts. And only dirk is doing it for failed plan after failed plan which happens to be... the exact same plan every off season.

In short, IMO if our FO is upset over a guy not saving us 4m so we could literally pull out the same blueprint plan we do every off season... then our FO should probably all start looking into alternate career paths. If they move on it will be because they feel the salary he wants outweighs his expected production/role. Not because he didn't opt in to help a problem they created years ago and a problem that they have exacerbated every year since by using the same tired old plan.

I don't know how I feel personally about resigning him. I don't want to pay him the max. But the Free agent class is garbage and if they want to keep dirk on a competitive team in a mavs uniform they could be forced to pay him more than they want. If he's gone I hope they just play Anderson though and not overpay someone else at the position.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 03:52 AM   #83
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac222b View Post
Who here would really be all that surprised if it turns out Parsons is really a bit of a shallow twit?
I'm pretty sure most of us would probably want to punch his face after more than 30 seconds around him. He definitely has that kind of presence.
Old 06-24-2016, 06:33 AM   #84
Skywalker
Diamond Member

Skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_Wilson View Post
I'm pretty sure most of us would probably want to punch his face after more than 30 seconds around him. He definitely has that kind of presence.
lol. this is a good post

Quote:
Dirk Nowitzki is a monster of epic and unattainable proportion. Seriously, he must be stopped.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 08:08 AM   #85
Jack.Kerr
Golden Member

Jack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker View Post
Also f*ck durant. Pimple faced f*ggot.
So is allowing comments like these part of the site revitalization effort? Not sure that's gonna work.

And in light of recent and current events?
Jack.Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 08:18 AM   #86
MavzMan
Golden Member

MavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant future

I really don't understand where the Conley/Whiteside talk is coming from.

Why would Conley come to Dallas? Just because he likes the coach? He's in complete control at Memphis, will get a max contract for more, and has a competitive team around him. What does he get from Dallas? A coach and Dirk that is going to retire in 1-2 years? I'm just not seeing it.

Why would Whiteside come to Dallas? I actually haven't heard anyone say why he would even consider Dallas. In fact, I firmly believe that if he and Wade have any kind of friendship, then Wade would tell him to screw over Dallas simply because of 2011.

I understand the low balling Parsons, but it remains that we are unlikely to get a significant free agent without Parson and a on-the-retirement-door Dirk. So is this really just another "if we don't get player X, then we are going 100% rebuild mode and tanking"?

Last edited by MavzMan; 06-24-2016 at 08:20 AM.
MavzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 08:57 AM   #87
BigDog63

BigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplefrog View Post
I would rather see them shore up the foundation and then move to improve rather than betting the house on signing Conley and/or Whiteside.
Overpaying for Parsons leaves little to no salary cap room to improve with.

Quote:
On the other hand, I am intrigued by Kent Bazemore and wonder if his speed, athleticism, and motor might work well in the Carlisle system. Could you plug him in as starting SF and have his different talents (defense, rebounding, durability, and athleticism) neutralize the playmaking and shooting of Parsons? I probably wouldn't bet on that trade off, but last year the Mavs did seem a bit slow afoot compared to other teams in today's NBA.
Defense, rebounding, durability, athleticism are all things the Mavs need more of. Sounds a lot like San Antonio's blueprint, too....not a bad thing.

I'm not a Parson's detractor...but as for playmaking, what was his plus/minus? He did have a pretty good assist number, but does the team play better when he's on the floor?

Quote:
At the end of the day, I would play this conservative and max out Parsons, but there maybe ways to improve this team by overspending on second tier players even if you lose him to free agency.
Or picking up undervalued players other teams didn't want, as the Mavs have done for the past several years.
BigDog63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 09:01 AM   #88
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_Wilson View Post
I think he was merely trying to free up the extra 4m or so that we would save from his cap hold which is 20m now that he declined to opt in. 4m would not keep us from some sort of pipe dream scenario of Whiteside and Conley(which btw is absolutely ludicrous to think we could get both of them with and especially without parsons) . Harris and Barea both have 4m cap hits and could be moved if something like that fell in our lap.

I highly doubt our FO is ready to move on solely because he wouldn't save us 4m in cap space. Especially considering the fiasco that goes on here every off season in free agency. Every year we covet our cap space and every year we sign anything except "plan a", with the sole exception of when we had to overpay parsons to get him as a RFA. If our grand plan was for ppl to take team friendly discounts/opt in to help the FO, so we could once again chase a highly unlikely scenario, and in that scenario we also try to get those highly unlikely players to also take unlikely to highly unlikely discounts as well... then the fault lies in the FO not the players. Outside of Dirk and a handful of guys in the NBA, not many are walkin around taking discounts. And only dirk is doing it for failed plan after failed plan which happens to be... the exact same plan every off season.

In short, IMO if our FO is upset over a guy not saving us 4m so we could literally pull out the same blueprint plan we do every off season... then our FO should probably all start looking into alternate career paths. If they move on it will be because they feel the salary he wants outweighs his expected production/role. Not because he didn't opt in to help a problem they created years ago and a problem that they have exacerbated every year since by using the same tired old plan.

I don't know how I feel personally about resigning him. I don't want to pay him the max. But the Free agent class is garbage and if they want to keep dirk on a competitive team in a mavs uniform they could be forced to pay him more than they want. If he's gone I hope they just play Anderson though and not overpay someone else at the position.
You should read Mavs Moneyball recent post "Mavs are heading for disaster". It touches on a lot of what you posted here.
Old 06-24-2016, 09:02 AM   #89
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavzMan View Post

Why would Conley come to Dallas? Just because he likes the coach? He's in complete control at Memphis, will get a max contract for more, and has a competitive team around him. What does he get from Dallas? A coach and Dirk that is going to retire in 1-2 years? I'm just not seeing it.

Why would Whiteside come to Dallas? I actually haven't heard anyone say why he would even consider Dallas. In fact, I firmly believe that if he and Wade have any kind of friendship, then Wade would tell him to screw over Dallas simply because of 2011.

I understand the low balling Parsons, but it remains that we are unlikely to get a significant free agent without Parson and a on-the-retirement-door Dirk. So is this really just another "if we don't get player X, then we are going 100% rebuild mode and tanking"?
This. The real head scratcher is Whiteside. Literally no chance. But HEY WE GOT TO SIT WITH HIM
Old 06-24-2016, 09:25 AM   #90
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I hear you, but the frank fact is there is no easy FA path this summer. Just keeping Parsons and then signing f-z players isn't much of a plan either. And trying to lock him up to try and recruit other players puts us to where we were last season. Even then, you have to lock him up at the max THEN have him recruit...when he'll probably shop around himself. Those big names might not even be around at that point.

Mavs don't have any really good assets to make impactful trades so Conley/Whiteside is the best you could feasibly do.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 09:29 AM   #91
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
I hear you, but the frank fact is there is no easy FA path this summer. Just keeping Parsons and then signing f-z players isn't much of a plan either. And trying to lock him up to try and recruit other players puts us to where we were last season. Even then, you have to lock him up at the max THEN have him recruit...when he'll probably shop around himself. Those big names might not even be around at that point.

Mavs don't have any really good assets to make impactful trades so Conley/Whiteside is the best you could feasibly do.
Pretty much. That's what happens when you spend year after year after year trading away picks and filling up your roster with aging veterans. That's why I'm actually looking forward to Dirk retiring and then we don't have to waste anymore years or resources foolishly trying to chase one last playoff run. At some point we have to tear it all down and start drafting players with actual potential.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 09:39 AM   #92
BigDog63

BigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by yahyes View Post
Because one season with Durant, Dirk, and Wes can make us dangerous. Donnie could set up a solid team around him too.
More dangerous than the team that consistently gets to or close to the WCF, took care of the Spurs fairly handily, and had GS on the ropes and should have closed them out???

Durant probably isn't leaving, and if he is....can't see why he would come here.
Old 06-24-2016, 09:43 AM   #93
BigDog63

Quote:

I want committed players. If the max contract is the most important thing for Chandler, so be it and good bye.
We've been spoiled by Dirk, who is a very unique person. Pretty much ALL NBA players want to get the most they can get. Heck, don't most people? Do you not want to get paid all you could at work? Would you say 'no' to millions more per year?

Not that I think Parsons is worth it. But I'm not going to get on his case for it.
Old 06-24-2016, 09:52 AM   #94
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
Pretty much. That's what happens when you spend year after year after year trading away picks and filling up your roster with aging veterans. That's why I'm actually looking forward to Dirk retiring and then we don't have to waste anymore years or resources foolishly trying to chase one last playoff run. At some point we have to tear it all down and start drafting players with actual potential.
See I don't think Dirk has to retire to develop young guys. This past season was a perfect one to start developing players, but there was still a very inconsistent commitment to guys like Powell, Anderson, and Mejri. None of those guys got even 15 mpg. I'm sorry, but you're never going to develop players if they don't get minutes...period. And all of them were good enough to contribute. But this whole play one game, maybe not play the next isn't working IMO. That might work for a seasoned vet, but young guys can have their confidence shot with such inconsistency.

Old 06-24-2016, 10:02 AM   #95
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It's coming from the Mavs front office, it didn't just appear out of thin air (aka Fish)...

But if you're asking "why," then that's a fair question. The reason is because Conley/Whiteside is our best chance to get better... There are literally zero smaller moves that are going to move the needle. Bringing back Parsons and signing whatever veteran scrubs fall through the cracks isn't going to get it done at this point. Cuban committed to going after the "big fish" after 2011 and now it's impossible to change our course until Dirk leaves/retires.

Long odds? Yep... Is there a more realistic plan to get us back into contention? Nope.

I told you guys you'd be hearing this phrase a lot this summer, so here we go again: it is what it is.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 10:06 AM   #96
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
See I don't think Dirk has to retire to develop young guys. This past season was a perfect one to start developing players, but there was still a very inconsistent commitment to guys like Powell, Anderson, and Mejri. None of those guys got even 15 mpg. I'm sorry, but you're never going to develop players if they don't get minutes...period. And all of them were good enough to contribute. But this whole play one game, maybe not play the next isn't working IMO. That might work for a seasoned vet, but young guys can have their confidence shot with such inconsistency.
That's true. I just mean that as long as Dirk is here we're always going to pushing for one last playoff run, which means we're always going to be drafting very late in the first round, or as in this year's case, not at all. Ever since the championship run, the Mavs have been in that purgatory of not being good enough to actually be contenders, but too good to get high draft picks and really build for the future.

To your point though, it makes me think that once Dirk is gone and the we're really in rebuilding mode, I think that would be the time to part with Carlisle as well. As great a coach as he is, he's one of those codgers who hates rookies and only trusts crusty old veterans. He is the exact opposite of what you want for a rebuilding team.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 10:08 AM   #97
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
See I don't think Dirk has to retire to develop young guys.
Except Dirk doesn't like playing with young guys... Everyone assumes that it's Carlisle keeping these guys on the bench, but it was Dirk who insisted on replacing Roddy with Stevenson, it was Dirk who wanted to trade Crowder/picks for Rondo, and it's Dirk who wants to chase the big fish every summer. He's not interested in rebuilding, he's not interested in developing future talent -- he wants to win now.

So, yes, Dirk does have to retire if you REALLY want to start building towards the future.

Old 06-24-2016, 10:18 AM   #98
Melonhead
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Except Dirk doesn't like playing with young guys... Everyone assumes that it's Carlisle keeping these guys on the bench, but it was Dirk who insisted on replacing Roddy with Stevenson, it was Dirk who wanted to trade Crowder/picks for Rondo, and it's Dirk who wants to chase the big fish every summer. He's not interested in rebuilding, he's not interested in developing future talent -- he wants to win now.

So, yes, Dirk does have to retire if you REALLY want to start building towards the future.
Wasnt aware of this. I just assumed they had a deal, asked Dirk what he thought, and he rolled with it
Old 06-24-2016, 10:26 AM   #99
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:

I wonder if his tune about that has changed a bit with the way Anderson filled in for Parsons. Or maybe just his tune towards Parsons has changed...

Old 06-24-2016, 10:46 AM   #100
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I immediately balked when I heard Golden State would chase Dirk. Now, I say if we don't land anyone, sign and trade Dirk (he'll do it for us) for two future firsts. Let him spend two years in Golden State, let him get two more rings, then he can come home for a season and retire. Will it break my heart? Yes. Is it the best thing for all parties? Yes.
Old 06-24-2016, 11:25 AM   #101
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap2390 View Post
I immediately balked when I heard Golden State would chase Dirk. Now, I say if we don't land anyone, sign and trade Dirk (he'll do it for us) for two future firsts. Let him spend two years in Golden State, let him get two more rings, then he can come home for a season and retire. Will it break my heart? Yes. Is it the best thing for all parties? Yes.
What? That makes zero sense.
1) Dirk will not net us two first round picks. most likely not even one pick. If we wanted to rebuild by dumping a superstar the time was 3-4 years ago
2) Salary makes things really hard to just flip Dirk to the Warriors
3) Warriors aren't winning two consecutive rings in 17 and 18
4) Dirk likely doesn't have three years more left to play
5) Dirk is already a champion and a future hall-of-famer. He also doesn't want to go to the Warriors
6) why wouldn't Dirk just hold out inking his deal until after we take a dip into free agency?

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 06-24-2016 at 11:27 AM.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 11:45 AM   #102
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
You should read Mavs Moneyball recent post "Mavs are heading for disaster". It touches on a lot of what you posted here.
http://www.mavsmoneyball.com/2016/6/...conley-parsons

Thanks for telling me about this. I'm sure it was posted somewhere before but thought i'd throw up another link. I hadn't seen this article till you mentioned it. Well I saw the title yesterday when watching draft and searching updates on phone but the title actually made me not click it.

Quote:
Instead, the Mavericks appear to be shooting for the stars again. And again, they will likely miss the stars, slingshot back to earth, detonate upon impact and burn everyone to the goddamn ground. The sun rises in the East, sets in the West and the Mavs will never land a big-name free agent. That's how this works.
Quote:
Oh, and they will fail. Not only are the Mavericks chasing Conley, they're doing so with the same Holier Than Thou approach that has led to the previous summers of death. The Mavs aren't pitching money, because Memphis can better them. They aren't pitching contention, because the Spurs (who are also interested in Conley) can beat them in spades. Instead, the Mavericks are pitching to Conley to give up some stuff to come to Dallas for the greater good.

Yeah, that's exactly what a player being recruited wants to hear.
Quote:
But ... no. They won't. I've seen this movie five times in the last five years. It has the same ending. The Mavericks will open free agency by meeting with Conley. They'll ask Williams to be "loyal" and chill while the Mavericks publicly try to replace him.

Williams will tell the Mavs to suck a tailpipe and pounce on the first big-money contract that comes his way. As soon as Williams, Lin and the other free agent point guards agree to their contracts, Conley will come to a decision.

He'll decide to join a new team for the first time in his NBA career. That team will be from Texas.

It will be the Spurs.

Conley will cite not being able to pass up the chance to play for a burgeoning MVP candidate in Kawhi Leonard and the greatest coach in the league.

Scrambling to fill the starting point guard spot, the Mavericks will see the landscape dried up. They will bring back Raymond Felton on a three-year deal and he will be your 2016 starting point guard. Williams will post a snapchat three weeks before the season saying the Mavericks are a hypocritical, clown organization.
This article desperately needs some time of *SPOILERS* tag at the top. Because now there is no point in watching free agency, I'm confident this is exactly how it plays out.
Old 06-24-2016, 11:58 AM   #103
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Yep, getting Conley/Whiteside is a long shot. Hell, even one is. But it needs to be repeated here...what other options are there?

I suppose you could play it safe by maxing out Parsons and going for one of them, but I agree with prioritizing PG and C when you can use Anderson to fill in for Parsons.

It also seems like the Mavs don't want another season of Deron starting...which I firmly agree with. Deron, Parsons, and Dirk can't start together if you're serious about defense and rebounding. Those are just the cold hard facts.

Chances are that this will be a really shitty offseason, but honestly, I don't think there was any clear way around that fact. Parsons isn't leading this team to the promised land like we all hoped he would when he first got here.

Old 06-24-2016, 12:09 PM   #104
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

The pessimism here is sad. Mavs will be better next season than last. Only question is now much.
Old 06-24-2016, 12:28 PM   #105
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
What? That makes zero sense.
1) Dirk will not net us two first round picks. most likely not even one pick. If we wanted to rebuild by dumping a superstar the time was 3-4 years ago

IMO if the only way to get Dirk is give up two late firsts a contending team will do it.

2) Salary makes things really hard to just flip Dirk to the Warriors

If they have the cap space to chase Durant they have to cap space to absorb Dirk in a SNT

3) Warriors aren't winning two consecutive rings in 17 and 18

Moot point, it's completely feasible.

4) Dirk likely doesn't have three years more left to play

It's up to Dirk, KG is still kicking and his game doesn't translate nearly as well

5) Dirk is already a champion and a future hall-of-famer. He also doesn't want to go to the Warriors

Again, it's up to Dirk. Does he want to play with a bunch of scrubs? If our plan is to wait on Whiteside and Conley and we lose out on Parsons in the process then Dirk will not want to be here.

6) why wouldn't Dirk just hold out inking his deal until after we take a dip into free agency?

My point exactly. If after FA we come up with nothing why would he want to be here?
Old 06-24-2016, 12:31 PM   #106
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap2390 View Post
I'm glad Dirk is more loyal than you.
Old 06-24-2016, 12:33 PM   #107
tap2390
Diamond Member

Quote:
I'm glad Dirk is more loyal than you.

If you prefer a 40-win team that has the 14th pick in the 2017 draft that's all you.
Old 06-24-2016, 12:48 PM   #108
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

I have decided to be optimistic because pessimism leads to depression and cynicism. Neither is very much fun. Also, being "realistic" is akin to being pessimistic these days, so I've decided "the glass is half full". Why not? It feels a lot better and a day without delusion is like a day without sunshine. It's pretty dark. So, if the consensus is to not give CP a max contract because he is not worth it, then perhaps the Mavs can get creative with a contract that gives him a raise for next year and a bit of security over the next three years. For example, offer him a contract that begins at $18M or $20M, and then a player option for a second year. Or perhaps even two consecutive player option years. If someone offers him a max contract then bye bye Chandler. Anything less than a max, then the Mavs offer looks pretty good because it will give him a chance to have a great injury free year and then go back on the market when the salary cap significantly increases. This is a better option for him than opting in, because he makes $2-4M more for 2016-2017 and, if he proves to be injury prone, then he has some security for a couple of years. The Mavs win in the sense that they are able to shave a couple or $3M off a max contract and they make no more than a 3-yr commitment to CP, which will get them through the Dirk years and perhaps give them a shot at signing Conley and/or Whiteside (because CP is part of the package).
Old 06-24-2016, 02:13 PM   #109
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Looks like they really are considering starting Anderson if Parsons bolts...

Quote:
One year after serving as the Dallas Mavericks' unofficial recruiting coordinator, forward Chandler Parsons looks forward to being recruited by other franchises.

Parsons eagerly anticipates exploring his options in free agency as the Mavericks plan to prioritize other targets, sources told ESPN, although a return to Dallas remains a possibility.

"He'll be all ears," one source said.

With the salary cap spiking to a projected $94 million, giving the majority of NBA teams the salary-cap space to sign a free agent to a maximum deal, sources say Parsons' camp remains confident that he will command a max contract with a starting annual salary of $22 million.

Dallas' Plan A this summer -- aside from the pipe dream of persuading Kevin Durant to leave the Oklahoma City Thunder for a team the Western Conference finalists dismissed in five games in the first round -- is to sign Memphis Grizzlies point guard Mike Conley and Miami Heat center Hassan Whiteside.

Chandler Parsons and the Mavs seem ready to move on entering free agency. Sources told ESPN that Parsons is eager to explore the market, while the Mavericks are prioritizing other potential targets such as Hassan Whiteside. AP Photo/Joe Skipper
If the Mavs are successful, assuming Conley and Whiteside get max contracts as widely expected, they would not have the cap space required to keep Parsons. Dallas is willing to take the risk of Parsons committing to another team as the Mavs pursue Conley and Whiteside, who sources say have mutual interest in the team. The Mavs expect to open free agency by meeting with Whiteside.

The Mavs, according to sources, remain interested in keeping Parsons if they aren't able to persuade Conley and/or Whiteside to come to Dallas. However, the Mavs have made it clear to Parsons that they do not intend to offer him a max contract to keep him after his first two seasons in Dallas ended prematurely because of surgeries on his right knee.

A max contract for Parsons with the Mavs, who own his early Bird rights, would be worth $98.4 million over four years. Other teams can offer him $94.1 million over four years.

"It's a question of dollars and injury status," Dallas president of basketball operations Donnie Nelson said when asked about the possibility of re-signing Parsons during exit interviews before the Mavs had homed in on Conley and Whiteside.

Parsons, 27, had hybrid microfracture surgery on the knee in spring of 2015, and the rehab from that operation lasted well into the 2015-16 season. The arthroscopic operation Parsons underwent this spring to address a torn meniscus in the knee wasn't nearly as serious as the previous surgery.

Sources say multiple renowned orthopedic specialists have given Parsons clearance to resume full basketball activities and expressed optimism that his knee would not prevent him from having a long, productive NBA career.

Parsons averaged 13.7 points, 4.7 rebounds and 2.8 assists in 61 games last seasons, statistics skewed by a slow start as he dealt with strict minutes restrictions. He had the best statistical stretch of his five-year career in the two months before his season ended, averaging 18.9 points, 5.9 rebounds and 3.2 assists per game while shooting 51.9 percent from the floor and 47.7 percent from 3-point range and proving he could thrive at power forward in addition to small forward.

The Mavs have showed flexibility in the recent past during negotiations. Their three most high-profile free-agent acquisitions of the past five years -- Parsons and guards Wesley Matthews and Monta Ellis -- all signed for significantly more money than the Mavs offered at the start of negotiations.

Sources said Mavs owner Mark Cuban attempted to persuade Parsons this month to opt in for the final season of the three-year, $46 million deal the forward signed in the summer of 2014, when the Houston Rockets declined to match the offer to keep him as a restricted free agent. Parsons, the sources say, never seriously considered staying in Dallas for the $16 million salary, certain that he'd land a long-term deal with a large raise in free agency.

The Mavs see Justin Anderson as a potential starter at small forward if Parsons leaves, according to team sources. Anderson, the 21st overall pick in last year's draft, played sparingly for most of his rookie season but showed promise as a high-energy role player when Parsons' late-season absence pushed him into a larger role.

The Mavs have identified Orlando Magic restricted free agent Evan Fournier and unrestricted free agents Kent Bazemore, Evan Turner and Marvin Williams as possible replacements for Parsons if they have cap space to spend on a small forward, according to a source.
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/16...llas-mavericks

Old 06-24-2016, 02:15 PM   #110
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Honesty think we're better with Anderson starting. Parsons is best at PF and we have Dirk.

Much rather have Conley/Matthews/Anderson/Dirk/defensive center than always putting out a team that can't rebound or defend. Plus, Parsons always seems to be injured right when we need him. I'd be 100% okay with Anderson starting.
Old 06-24-2016, 02:38 PM   #111
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Old 06-24-2016, 03:19 PM   #112
yahyes
Banned

yahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud of

What I hope Cuban does is try to convince Parsons in taking lesser. That gives us a better shot to motivate both Whiteside and Conley to join. Give him a 2 year contract. If he really wants to to win now. This is his best shot getting these 2 solid players added.
yahyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 03:39 PM   #113
Underdog

Quote:
What I hope Cuban does is try to convince Parsons in taking lesser. That gives us a better shot to motivate both Whiteside and Conley to join. Give him a 2 year contract. If he really wants to to win now. This is his best shot getting these 2 solid players added.
Why would Parsons want a 2 year contract when he's trying to get paid max money? He'd be better off opting-in if he wanted anything shorter than the full four years. Also, where'd you get the idea that Parsons "really wants to to win now"? Guys who opt out of $16m so they can get $22m are looking to get paid -- he's still young enough to chase rings after his next contract is up.

Old 06-24-2016, 03:40 PM   #114
Quetzalcoatl

Quetzalcoatl is a jewel in the roughQuetzalcoatl is a jewel in the roughQuetzalcoatl is a jewel in the roughQuetzalcoatl is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
I wish God hear you.
Quetzalcoatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 04:17 PM   #115
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Parsons needs the max for his ego, its pretty obvious.
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 04:37 PM   #116
Underdog

Quote:
Parsons needs the max for his ego, its pretty obvious.
Parsons needs the max because this may be his only big payday if he keeps getting injured... Can't blame the guy for taking what he can while he can.

Old 06-24-2016, 04:39 PM   #117
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder which/if any teams will give CP a quick max offer. Grizzlies? Celtics? Heat? Raptors? I'm sure he'd like to hang out with his buddy DJ but they don't appear to have the cap space.
Old 06-24-2016, 04:50 PM   #118
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Parsons needs the max because this may be his only big payday if he keeps getting injured... Can't blame the guy for taking what he can while he can.
Funny thing is Houston fans complained a lot about his back issues, so the knees aren't the only thing to worry about.

Old 06-24-2016, 05:18 PM   #119
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Kinda like Tyson. Dude wanted to get paid knowing his injury issues. I have no ill will against him for leaving.

Just makes me wonder who would max Parsons in money and years. Parsons just keeps getting inured year after year. Maybe there is just that much dumb money out there

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 06-24-2016 at 05:19 PM.
Old 06-24-2016, 05:39 PM   #120
Underdog

Quote:
Just makes me wonder who would max Parsons in money and years. Parsons just keeps getting inured year after year. Maybe there is just that much dumb money out there
The cap is spiking and even the crappy franchises trying to steal profit shares have to spend at least 90% of it, so......

Last edited by Underdog; 06-24-2016 at 05:41 PM.