Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 06-14-2002, 07:14 PM   #1
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

This is what it's all about. Man I hope the RAIN stays away!!!!

Wild weekend shaping up at Shea

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By Bob Klapisch
Special to ESPN.com

In the city that never sleeps, no Subway Series ever needs to be hyped, ever. New Yorkers wear the heat of a Mets-Yankees collision like a second skin, regardless of the year, the standings, or even the level of controversy. The 2002 edition of the city war is no different: issues abound on both sides and, no, they don't all revolve around Roger Clemens and Mike Piazza.

The Yankees, for example, are unveiling Andy Pettitte for the first time in nearly two months tonight at Shea. He's coming off the disabled list just as Mariano Rivera is being shelved for two weeks to heal an injured groin. And the Mets, closer to last place than to first in the NL East, are struggling to find an offense which has been so bloodless, it cost hitting instructor Dave Engle his job.

Can the Yankees survive without their closer? Can anyone help Mo Vaughn find his bat speed? These are just two reasons to pay attention to the weekend series. The list practically stretches into infinity, but here's a Top Five -- which, of course, has Clemens-Piazza at the very top.

1. Will Clemens throw at Piazza? Will the Mets finally retaliate against the Rocket?
Maybe you thought this entire issue was resolved during last summer's All-Star Game, when the two men finally faced each other without incident. Obviously not, because the Rocket's first at-bat on Saturday is all that's been discussed in the two clubhouses in the last few days.

Joe Torre tried his best to defuse the matter, but finally surrendered on Wednesday, saying, "I don't think it's going to be over, ever, only because the tape (of the 2000 beaning and World Series confrontation) still lives. I'm not sure it'll ever end, because it's too good of a story, I guess." Clemens and Piazza both insist there's no hard feelings between them. If so, it's possible Clemens' at-bat would have had a quieter introduction, had he not hit Barry Bonds last weekend at Yankee Stadium.

That prompted an investigation from Bob Watson, baseball's vice president for discipline, who is trying to determine exactly what the Rocket meant when, before the start of the Yankees-Giants series, he playfully said he would knock Bonds' elbow pad off.

Such an investigation, and long-shot possibility that Clemens would've been suspended by the commissioner, had some Mets speculating that Clemens plotted this course of events weeks in advance -- a public boast, a clipping of Bonds and subsequent punishment -- just to avoid stepping to the plate at Shea.

Too incredible to be true? Yes or no, the point is now moot: Watson says no suspension will take place any time soon -- if at all.

Still, don't underestimate the reservoir of animosity the Mets have towards Clemens: not just on Piazza's behalf, or even Bonds'. It's for all the hitters the Yankee ace has nailed and never had to be accountable to. In his career, Clemens had hit 132 batters and batted just 20 times.

2. Just how healthy is Pettitte?
That might be the biggest question of the weekend. The left-hander has been on the disabled list for nearly two months, with what started out as tendinitis.

Obviously, Pettitte's injury was more serious than that, and some medical people outside the organization wonder if the Yankees were low-keying possible ligament damage in Pettitte's elbow.

Pettitte has thrown well in recent minor-league rehab assignments, and his presence should represent an upgrade over the talented, but still inexperienced Ted Lilly. The only question is whether Pettitte's elbow can now withstand the trauma of pitching every fifth day, and if he can stay off the disabled list the rest of the summer.

3. What will the Yankees do without Rivera?
Count largely on Steve Karsay, who, at times, actually throws harder than Rivera, but obviously lacks the same credentials. Still, it's not necessarily a crisis for the Yankees, and Rivera has already progressed so quickly, he'll be joining the team on the next road trip to Colorado and San Diego instead of heading to Tampa for a rehab assignment.

On paper, Karsay -- along with Mike Stanton -- should be able to keep the bullpen stable. Karsay, whose fastball has been clocked as high as 98 mph, is keeping hitters to a .224 average and a mere .128 average with runners in scoring position. And he seems to be able to snuff out rallies, holding opponents to an .087 average with runners in scoring position and two outs.

4. Will the Mets ever hit?
General manager Steve Phillips is so desperate, he's hired a former Yankee instructor (and former Yankee first baseman) to rescue the Mets. This is no small task for new hitting coach Chris Chambliss, since the Mets are last in the NL East in runs, and have the NL's third-lowest average.

Of particular concern is Mo Vaughn, who's batting just .229. Of his four HRs, just one has been with runners on base and scouts say his pitch identification has been uniformly poor. Jeromy Burnitz is all but invisible at .197, while Piazza and Roberto Alomar are 45 and 33 points below their career averages, respectively.

5. What if the Mets don't hit?
That scenario is too dark for management to consider, since both Vaughn and Burnitz have multi-year contracts that make them virtually impossible to trade. Vaughn, in particular, creates multi-layered problems beyond the $42 million he's owed through 2004, since he blocks the chance of moving Piazza to first base.

Obviously, owner Fred Wilpon isn't paying $102 million for sub-.500 baseball. Nearly 40 percent of last year's roster was turned over the during the winter, and the expectation was that Phillips had created a postseason-caliber team.

Instead, the Mets' only early success has been in the starting rotation -- Al Leiter and Pedro Astacio, in particular. The future once looked so bright, the Mets began negotiating with Leiter for a three-year contract extension.

But the left-hander has won only once since May 16 and, according to the Newark Star-Ledger, the Mets have distanced themselves from any further talks with Leiter until the offseason.

Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-2002, 07:31 PM   #2
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

i can't wait to see how this unfolds
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2002, 07:33 PM   #3
Drbio
Banned

If the rain cancels the series I hear it will be next weekend. Can you imagine the tension build up over another week? I hope Clemens gets his start and accidentally hits someone. There will be a NY prayer meeting on the mound like none that has ever been seen.
Old 06-14-2002, 07:33 PM   #4
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

I want the Mets pitcher to plunk Clemens right on his keyster.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2002, 07:35 PM   #5
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

i like clemens, but i'd like to see him get knocked on his ass
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2002, 07:36 PM   #6
Drbio
Banned

I just want to see the fight! A NY-NY barnburner would make international news...hell the prospect already IS international news.

Any Met pitcher that plunks Clemens would be an instant hero in 50% of NY...the problem is that he would be public enemy #1 in the other 50%.
Old 06-14-2002, 07:53 PM   #7
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

The only problem I see with hitting Clemens is it might be the rallying momemt for the Yankees to go off and win the World Series.
Old 06-14-2002, 07:55 PM   #8
Drbio
Banned

Since the Rangers are out...dammit...I really don't care. And that is IF they have a World Series. If those bastards strike I will never again watch MLB baseball...only college.
Old 06-14-2002, 08:04 PM   #9
Bayliss

If the players were really interested about their welfare (I know they don't care about the fans), they'd do everything they could not to strike. After all, it'd be hard for Bonds, Sosa, Clemens, Maddux, Schilling, etc etc to get career milestones w/o playing.

Old 06-14-2002, 09:41 PM   #10
Drbio
Banned

In spite of what any of them say...or what anyone says...they ONLY care about money. They make it clear every time they bitch about only making 2 million a year which is the average salary of a major leaguer this year. Let them work at Target or somesuch. They can kiss my ass.
Old 06-14-2002, 09:50 PM   #11
Drbio
Banned

IT HAS STARTED......Hitchcock BEANS Burnitz...had to leave the game....

LINK!!!
Old 06-14-2002, 09:53 PM   #12
reeds
Golden Member

reeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these parts

There is NO DOUBT that Estes will plunk Clemens right in the back with the FIRST pitch Clemens sees. If Estes dont- he is a bitch.
Old 06-14-2002, 09:55 PM   #13
Drbio
Banned

I agree.