Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 03-12-2004, 02:39 PM   #1
Mavdog
Diamond Member

Mavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud of
Default Kerry the fiscal conservative

The campaign's first week shows that Kerry is not going to allow the Bush team to hang the label of "free spending, tax raising" candidate on him, but is going on the offensive as a more fiscally responsible candidate than Bush. First it was larger tax cuts, now it is a quicker deficit reduction plan than Bush's.

I think Kerry can be successful in taking the budget and tax issues away from Bush and making them his own.
Kerry Hopes to Cut Deficit in Four Years
Fri Mar 12,10:04 AM ET Add Politics - AP to My Yahoo!

By NANCY BENAC, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON - From child care for the toddler set to tuition credits for college students and better medical benefits for veterans, John Kerry (news - web sites) has plans to distribute new federal dollars far and wide and still cut the deficit in half within four years.

Stock up on calculator batteries, though, because just how many dollars go where and whether Kerry's economic numbers really add up is sure to be the subject of heated debate in the presidential campaign for months to come.

It's early to be totting up the cost of campaign proposals, but President Bush (news - web sites) jump-started the conversation Thursday with a new ad claiming that Kerry would raise taxes by $900 billion, which the Democrat immediately rejected as bogus. Kerry's campaign promises to fill in details of his economic plans soon.

Key to the debate is how much mileage Kerry can get out of repealing tax cuts for the wealthiest Americans and redirecting that money — about $250 billion over 10 years, by most estimates — to those he deems more deserving. By far, his biggest-ticket proposal is a plan to extend health insurance to millions of uninsured people and reduce costs for those who already have coverage.

The health plan alone is estimated to cost nearly $900 billion over 10 years, according to an independent analysis last summer by Emory University economics professor Kenneth Thorpe. Thorpe said Thursday that he believes Kerry can find enough federal dollars elsewhere to pay for his proposals for health care, education and other initiatives.

"It's probably doable, with the caveat that there's got to be some phasing-in and timing," he said. "You can't do it all in year one."

Mark Zandi, chief economist with Economy.com, said it's hard for any campaign to know how much its proposals really will end up costing. As for Kerry, he said, "you have to get it broadly right, and I think he's got it broadly right."

However, there are plenty of skeptics who think Kerry is overreaching.

"There's no way he can get from here to there," said Dan Mitchell, an economist at the conservative Heritage Foundation. He said Kerry hasn't released enough details to accurately add up what he would raise and spend — most likely on purpose.

"When you're running, you go after the other guy, you don't put out a detailed plan that the other guy can attack," Mitchell said.

Nonetheless, using a mix of firm numbers and estimates, the National Taxpayers Union, which advocates lower taxes and less government spending, calculates that Kerry's new spending initiatives would cost $277 billion a year — far more than could be paid for by repealing some of the tax cuts. Among Kerry's biggest annual costs, by the group's calculations: $90 billion for health care, $41 billion for veterans' health programs, $56 billion for education and $31 billion for roads and rail lines.

Peter Orszag, a Brookings Institution economist who has given occasional help to Kerry's campaign, said it's possible to get to $900 billion in Kerry tax increases by toting up $400 billion to repeal some of the tax cuts and retain a phase-out of personal exemptions and itemized deductions for wealthy Americans, $150 billion in estate tax reforms and $350 billion in higher taxes on capital gains and dividends. He said Kerry also has other proposals to save money, such as reducing so-called corporate welfare and holding down health care costs, that could be redirected to his domestic initiatives.

Claims and counterclaims about budget numbers are a staple of presidential campaigns. Bush, for example, frequently faulted Al Gore (news - web sites) for "fuzzy math" in the 2000 campaign.

"During campaign time, the numbers never add up on either side," said Eugene Steuerle, a senior fellow at the liberal-leaning Urban Institute. He said it appears that Kerry is likely to follow the model of President Clinton (news - web sites), who promised deficit reduction but also a tax cut as a candidate.

"Before he was even inaugurated, the Clinton people sat down and decided to abandon some of their campaign promises, at least temporarily, until they got the deficit in order," said Steuerle. "It's my sense, regardless of whether Kerry or Bush wins, that the entire economic agenda has been set up for 2005 to be the year in which we actually get back to worrying about getting this budget in balance."

William Gale, co-director of the Tax Policy Center, a joint project of the Brookings Institution and the Urban Institute, said that in the end, what's more important than specific numbers are the broad themes Kerry is striking and how they differ from Bush's.

"Kerry is clearly someone who believes that government can be part of the solution to domestic problems, not just something that's in the way," Gale said.
Mavdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-2004, 03:54 PM   #2
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Kerry the fiscal conservative

Kerry believes that he and not the average American knows how to best spend your money. It's a dimocrats fault. They can't help it.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 05:14 PM   #3
Mavdog
Diamond Member

Mavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud of

DrBio posted:
Quote:
Kerry believes that he and not the average American knows how to best spend your money. It's a dimocrats fault. They can't help it.
So, if Bush is taxing the "average American" MORE than Kerry (the point of the article), and if Bush is spending MORE than Kerry (ambiguous but also in the article), aren't you saying that Bush "believes that he and not the average American knows how to best spend your money"? Yes, I believe you are.....

oh, and do you believe that Bush "can't help it" or will he change?
Old 03-12-2004, 05:38 PM   #4
Drbio
Banned

Your words not mine....don't be a presumptive ass. Kerry will tax the shit out of average joe American all the while blowing smoke up their ass proclaiming to be a champion of the little man. It's your standard load of dimocratic horsepoo.

The Bush tax cut was exactly what average joe American needed......the dimocraps just piss and whine because the upper class received a break also. It could have been one dollar and the liberal idiots would piss and whine. They can't help it...it is the dimocratic way.
Old 03-12-2004, 05:54 PM   #5
Mavdog
Diamond Member

Quote:
Your words not mine....
no, those were your words. you defined them, and the definition applied to Bush.

Quote:
don't be a presumptive ass.
why, do you have an exclusive right?

Quote:
Kerry will tax the shit out of average joe American all the while blowing smoke up their ass proclaiming to be a champion of the little man. It's your standard load of dimocratic horsepoo.
missed the point of the article eh? Kerry proposes LESS taxes than Bush, so "standard...horsepoo" or not Kerry will NOT "tax the shit out of the average joe American" on a relative basis that would be Bush!

Quote:
The Bush tax cut was exactly what average joe American needed......
you sure seem to think you know what the "average joe American" wants and is...

So, a LARGER tax cut for those ole average joe americans is even better, right?

Quote:
the dimocraps just piss and whine because the upper class received a break also. It could have been one dollar and the liberal idiots would piss and whine. They can't help it...it is the dimocratic way.
yes, Kerry wants to reduce the tax cuts for those >$200K in income. Kerry wants to reimpose a dividend tax, and roll back the estate tax reductions....neither of which the "average joe American" will be paying BTW.
Old 03-12-2004, 05:58 PM   #6
Drbio
Banned

Wrong again libby boy.....your words are not the intent of mine...but I guess that you cannot understand that. And yes, I do have exclusive rights on it so stop being such an asshole.
Old 03-12-2004, 06:10 PM   #7
Mavdog
Diamond Member

You can deny all you wish but logic and your own words betray you.

and, as you know, there's always two sides to an ass....

edit: I forgot to ask, do you believe that Bush will change his historic increase-the-deficit ways and become a fiscal conservative?
Old 03-12-2004, 06:16 PM   #8
mavsman

mavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to behold
Default RE:Kerry the fiscal conservative

I like Drbio's constant use of the clever wordplays "dimocrat" and "Clintoon". I used to do a similar one on my teacher's name back in first grade. Over and over and over. Thanks for bringing back the memories.
mavsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 10:57 PM   #9
Drbio
Banned

I give full credit for those to the others here. I first saw Clintoon here and couldn't stop laughing.

I am so glad that dipwads like Mavdog know what the intent of others words are. Thank goodness they can spin it to fit their agenda. Idiot. [img]i/expressions/rolleye.gif[/img]
Old 03-13-2004, 07:15 AM   #10
Mavdog
Diamond Member

Gee DrBio, "dipwad" seems so obtuse, after all if you had merely read the article you'd have realized that your reference that Kerry believes he "knows how to best spend your money" is more applicable to the bigger spender, GWBush.

that truely defines an "idiot" who has an "agenda"!
Old 03-13-2004, 07:16 AM   #11
Mavdog
Diamond Member

it was good, but not good enough for a double post...
Old 03-13-2004, 10:08 AM   #12
Drbio
Banned

Sure if by good you mean you don't have a freaking clue.
Old 03-13-2004, 12:20 PM   #13
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

I love the dimocrats. Their economic policy is......drum roll please.......

TAX OUR WAY TO PROSPERITY..

Knuckleheads.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2004, 10:54 PM   #14
reeds
Golden Member

reeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these parts

" like Drbio's constant use of the clever wordplays "dimocrat" and "Clintoon". I used to do a similar one on my teacher's name back in first grade. Over and over and over. Thanks for bringing back the memories. "

CLASSIC....