Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 01-14-2011, 10:53 AM   #1
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Really Interesting article on Tyson Chandler

This is an absolute must read. I'm not going to paste the whole thing as it's two different pages.

Link

Quote:
Last summer Chandler, 28, played for the USA basketball team that won gold at the world championships, so he was unable to make his annual pilgrimage to the farm in Hanford, Calif. He did not see his 80-year-old grandfather, Cleo Threadgill, climb into a GMC pickup in the mornings, head down Houston Avenue and turn into the orchard, where he picked walnuts for hours, dropped them into buckets, poured them into bags and finally drove them to a produce stand to weigh and sell. When Chandler heard what his grandfather was up to, he called the farm and asked, "Papa, why are you out picking all those walnuts?" His grandfather told him he was trying to sell $180 worth. "Why do you need $180?" Chandler pressed. Because, his grandfather explained, for $180 he could buy NBA League Pass on DirecTV and watch every Mavericks game this season.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 01-14-2011 at 10:53 AM.
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2011, 11:23 AM   #2
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

This sounds like a good time for a random tyson is great thread.

It is a very solid article. The guy is JUST what that lockerroom needs.

Quote:
On defense Chandler protects the rim. On offense he attacks it. He rarely takes a shot that's not a dunk or a layup. He is a pure center in a league desperate for them, master of his narrow niche in the middle. He ranks 12th alltime in rebounding percentage and is on pace to finish this season with the second-highest field goal percentage ever—to Wilt Chamberlain's 72.7% in 1972--73—assuming he qualifies. (To lead the league, a player has to make 300 shots; Chandler is on pace to make 248.) Even Chandler's free throw percentage has risen above 75%.

We need to get Ty MORE SHOTS!!!
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’

Last edited by dude1394; 01-14-2011 at 11:30 AM.
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 11:31 AM   #3
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

I read it during my "lunch" this morning at work...it's a great read. Really great back-story on Chandler and the overall impact he has and the validation that comes along the way.
Old 01-14-2011, 11:33 AM   #4
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Vote Tyson into the all-star game. Gosh I hope our latest slump doesn't cost him what I feel is a well-deserved bid.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 01-14-2011, 11:37 AM   #5
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, great article!

I didn't think I could like Tyson Chandler any more than I already do... I was wrong.

He's easily my favorite non-Dirk Mav since Devin Harris left.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 11:38 AM   #6
Axilla

Axilla is a glorious beacon of lightAxilla is a glorious beacon of lightAxilla is a glorious beacon of lightAxilla is a glorious beacon of lightAxilla is a glorious beacon of lightAxilla is a glorious beacon of lightAxilla is a glorious beacon of lightAxilla is a glorious beacon of light

thanks jthig. good read
Old 01-14-2011, 11:45 AM   #7
Funkman

Funkman is a name known to allFunkman is a name known to allFunkman is a name known to allFunkman is a name known to allFunkman is a name known to allFunkman is a name known to allFunkman is a name known to allFunkman is a name known to allFunkman is a name known to all

Very good article. When we signed Tyson and people were griping about that's all we got for the Dust chip. I was thinking, we got a solid backup center with size. And a decent expiring contract to move if he doesn't work out or a big deal comes along. I don't think the regular season had started before I had changed my mind completely and didn't want this guy going anywhere.
Funkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 11:54 AM   #8
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkman View Post
Very good article. When we signed Tyson and people were griping about that's all we got for the Dust chip. I was thinking, we got a solid backup center with size. And a decent expiring contract to move if he doesn't work out or a big deal comes along. I don't think the regular season had started before I had changed my mind completely and didn't want this guy going anywhere.
No kidding - I thought Chandler was pretty much trade bait until I saw him practice for Team USA. Even then, I didn't think he'd become the starter over Brendan Haywood...

Now? Well, now I think he's the only untouchable Mavs player not named "Dirk" - he's such a perfect compliment next to the Big German.

As long as Tyson Chandler stays on this team, Dirk's window remains open for the rest of his contract (and I'm pretty sure the extra money Nowitzki turned down so "the team could get better" is going to end up in Chandler's pocket...)

Last edited by Underdog; 01-14-2011 at 11:56 AM.
Old 01-14-2011, 11:58 AM   #9
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Now? Well, now I think he's the only untouchable Mavs player not named "Dirk" - he's such a perfect compliment next to the Big German.

As long as Tyson Chandler stays on this team, Dirk's window remains open for the rest of his contract (and I'm pretty sure the extra money Nowitzki turned down so "the team could get better" is going to end up in Chandler's pocket...)
Amazing but I agree with you completely. there isn't a player on the team I wouldn't look at in a trade...except for the dirkster and tyson.

Man...let's get that small forward problem solved and let's strap 'em on and get it on!!!

Playoffs cannot get here too quickly!!!

edit: Well that may be a little too excited...obviously one dirkster is needed....so they CAN get here too quickly.

Last edited by dude1394; 01-14-2011 at 11:59 AM.
Old 01-14-2011, 12:39 PM   #10
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for posting, thig. Good stuff.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 02:40 PM   #11
jcm28

jcm28 is a name known to alljcm28 is a name known to alljcm28 is a name known to alljcm28 is a name known to alljcm28 is a name known to alljcm28 is a name known to alljcm28 is a name known to alljcm28 is a name known to all

Tyson's granddaddy is full of win. We need someone link him in the locker room as well.
Old 01-14-2011, 03:47 PM   #12
RareMilk
Golden Member

RareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to all

Def. a feel good story. With the unfortunate injuries my mood for the Mavericks haven't been so great, but this story sure did raise my mood though. Its a rivalry game tonight no Dirk, no Tyson, no Butler, no Roddy, no problem.
RareMilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 04:08 PM   #13
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
No kidding - I thought Chandler was pretty much trade bait until I saw him practice for Team USA. Even then, I didn't think he'd become the starter over Brendan Haywood...

Kidd is untouchable too, whether you like it or not
mavs777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 04:43 PM   #14
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavs777 View Post
Kidd is untouchable too, whether you like it or not
Kidd is untradeable, not untouchable - big difference...

If Deron or Paul were being offered, I'd trade Kidd in a heartbeat.

Old 01-14-2011, 04:48 PM   #15
ReDirkulous Tyme

ReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to behold

So...I hate to bring this up again, but I predicted this type of play from Chandler and the response this forum would have before the season ever started...

just sayin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post
Things in the mirror are closer than they appear.
ReDirkulous Tyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 05:31 PM   #16
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReDirkulous Tyme View Post
So...I hate to bring this up again, but I predicted this type of play from Chandler and the response this forum would have before the season ever started...

just sayin
You're obviously an awesome dood!

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote