Old 12-24-2004, 02:51 PM   #1
vinnieponte

vinnieponte is on a distinguished road
Default Mavs' Howard showing Pippen-like qualities

Mavs' Howard showing Pippen-like qualities

Forward has progressed from mop-up duty to all-around standout

04:14 AM CST on Friday, December 24, 2004

By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News

Josh Howard swoops into the paint and sticks one of his long arms a foot or so above the rim to pick off an unlikely rebound, and it brings back memories not of a superstar but of an all-around contributor on a very good team.

It reminds Howard of that, too.

"Like a Scottie Pippen," he says. "That's what I try to do – just whatever helps the team win. I just want to be a solid guy."

Pippen was perhaps the best complementary player in NBA history, an able sidekick to Michael Jordan for a decade that produced six championships.

Howard is in his second year with the Mavericks, but his play this season has been like an early Christmas present that keeps on giving.

The 6-6 Howard, whose frame is virtually identical to Pippen's, has been the Mavericks' most consistent player this season and arguably their second-best performer. He is blossoming into a rebounding machine, and his scoring is sneaky-good.

Not bad for a player who entered training camp expecting nothing more than mop-up duty this season.

"I've come a long way compared to last year," Howard said. "In summertime, they said I wasn't going to play. But I'm still playing."

And playing well, averaging 12.6 points and 7.5 rebounds. Recently, he's been even better, averaging 17.2 points and 9 rebounds in the last six games. He's the only Maverick to start all 27 games.

Howard's athletic ability is what makes him so valuable. He's a good defender. And not just when it's convenient. He puts more effort on that end of the floor. And his rebounding has been excellent – double figures in three of the last five games.

"He's always there on defense and with the rebounding, that's the reason we've played him so many minutes," coach Don Nelson says. "Normally the sophomore year is a regressing year, but once in a while, you get a guy who makes the next step in that year, and he's one of them. He's been one of my best players this year."

The only hole in Howard's game is a consistent jump shot. He's not a bad shooter, but it is his weakest link.

Opponents still play him for the drive and dare him to shoot from the perimeter.

Josh Howard's athletic ability and tenacious defense have earned the praise of Mavericks coach Don Nelson. 'He's been one of my best players this year,' Nelson said.
"Once he gets a Michael Finley-level jumper, he's an all-star," owner Mark Cuban said.

Howard said his offensive game is OK. The only problem with it is he doesn't get to unveil it very often.

"I know the coach doesn't need another scorer," he said. "I can wait another year on that. When it happens, people will be saying, "Man, I didn't know he could do that.' "

For now, most of Howard's highlights come with those high-flying, one-armed rebounds that he snatches before bigger bodies can reach them.

"I always knew I could rebound," he said. "That's the exciting part of the game, getting a big second-chance rebound and put-back."

In New York on Tuesday, Howard had a career-high 16 rebounds. It left a strong impression on Knicks' coach Lenny Wilkens.

"He's so athletic and such a good rebounder," Wilkens said. "The first year in the league, you have to find out what it's all about. This year, he knows the league better. He knows who he is going against better."

And Howard knows himself better, too.

"I'm trying to think the game better as well as doing all the physical things I can to help the team," he said. "It's been fun so far."

Old 12-24-2004, 04:36 PM   #2
dirk2003

dirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to all
Default RE:Mavs' Howard showing Pippen-like qualities

Finaly everyone is seeing what some of us have been raving about the whole summer.
Old 12-24-2004, 05:02 PM   #3
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Mavs' Howard showing Pippen-like qualities

This has been made a few times on the broadcast, but I don't see it. Pippen's game was more well rounded and Josh isn't half the passer that he was. Totally different type of player. I'm still amazed that he almost never passes the ball in transition. The fact that he can be a black hole on offense concerns me much more then his shooting.

Still, you have to be please with his development.
Old 12-24-2004, 06:05 PM   #4
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

He's a pippen-"like" player. No player is exactly the same. He'll be a better rebounder, will be about the same steals wise but as far as an assist guy I don't know. He might get to about 4 if he runs the point forward. I don't see that to be honest, I think he'll wind up being more of a slasher/scorer.

"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 07:40 PM   #5
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I think he'll wind up being more of a slasher/scorer.
That's not a Pippen like player. They're about the same height and both play good defense, but that's about it. If there's a Pippen like player in the game today, it's Grant Hill...well rounded...doesn't dominate in any one aspect of the game, but can do it all. I was watching Lakers/Blazers game 7 today and you could have played Pippen at the point.

Josh is more Shawn Marion like.
Old 12-24-2004, 08:20 PM   #6
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

I think Artest is more of a Pippen like player or atleast that's who he reminds me of. Josh is close but like drno said he needs to develop his passing game in order to remind me of Pippen. I think though Howard is sort of a player of his own right now. He can score inside without having to rely on a post up game which is what Artest does.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 08:21 PM   #7
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
He's the only Maverick to start all 27 games.

BTW anyone remember how we were saying he wouldn't even get any pt for us this year? THis guy is the only Mav to start all 27 games and he's earned that starting job. It wasn't just given to him.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 09:39 PM   #8
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Josh is really coming into his own. He's really proving to be a perfect small forward for us. He's one of those players we've always talked to as being a two-way player. Again...as nellie said in some article recently, as soon as his outside shot gets better, he's an all-star for many,many years.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 10:20 PM   #9
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

if not an all-star, at least a very productive player for "many, many years."

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2004, 12:32 AM   #10
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: dirno2000
Quote:
I think he'll wind up being more of a slasher/scorer.
That's not a Pippen like player. They're about the same height and both play good defense, but that's about it. If there's a Pippen like player in the game today, it's Grant Hill...well rounded...doesn't dominate in any one aspect of the game, but can do it all. I was watching Lakers/Blazers game 7 today and you could have played Pippen at the point.

Josh is more Shawn Marion like.
I don´t think Howard is "pippen like" either right now. Just wanted to add that in your characterization of Pippen you got one thing wrong IMO. Pippen did dominate in one aspect of the game. He was a one man wrecking crew on defense and certainly one of the best defenders in the 90`s.

I think the closest to Pippen right now is AK47. Not as good on offense but he´s adequate and efficient. And like Pippen he can dominate the floor on D covering alot of positions. Another good comparison would be Artest if he wasn´t insane.
Fidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2004, 01:29 AM   #11
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Quote:
He was a one man wrecking crew on defense and certainly one of the best defenders in the 90`s.
I was referring to his offensive game, but he was a tenacious defender who could dominate a game. I wouldn't call him a one man wrecking crew though...Harper and that Jordan guy held their own on that end of the floor too [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-25-2004, 02:45 PM   #12
jibikao

jibikao is on a distinguished road

keep Howard, get rid of Daniel.

Jimmy

www.keepshooting.com
jibikao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2004, 03:51 PM   #13
Chefinator

Chefinator is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: jibikao
keep Howard, get rid of Daniel.

Jimmy
Dickau is gone.

Chefinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2004, 05:59 PM   #14
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: dirno2000
Quote:
He was a one man wrecking crew on defense and certainly one of the best defenders in the 90`s.
I was referring to his offensive game, but he was a tenacious defender who could dominate a game. I wouldn't call him a one man wrecking crew though...Harper and that Jordan guy held their own on that end of the floor too [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Yeah Harper and Jordan were pretty good too. I think I´ve got that wrecking crew reference from one of the later finals series (maybe the one against Utah? but it could also be a ECF series like against Idiana) where the Bulls played Pippen at the top of the key alot using him as kind of a joker on D. Pippen played the passing lanes, provided help/double teams on the perimeter and down low and was basicly everywhere on the floor, while still holding his man in check. If I remember correctly the announcers reffered to him as a "one man wrecking crew". That´s where I got it from I think.
Fidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004, 01:51 PM   #15
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in San Fran and the Chronicle gave him "line of the week" and spoke very highly of him. The New York game wasnt as good as his stats reflect but he's that kind of player and I love him for it.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004, 05:26 PM   #16
DCowboysGal

DCowboysGal is on a distinguished road

Josh Howard = Tayshaun Prince - very athletic, great defender, solid rebounder, solid scorer
DCowboysGal is offline   Reply With Quote