Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 10-27-2004, 12:53 AM   #1
V
Golden Member

V has a spectacular aura aboutV has a spectacular aura about
Default Josh Howard to see doc tomorrow (Wed)

By Mike Fisher and David Lord -- DallasBasketball.com
For some of the wounded Mavs, rest is the only healer. But for never-at-rest Josh Howard, a Wednesday visit to the doctor is scheduled.

Howard, playing through the discomfort of a hamstring problem – and playing well enough to have contributed 42 minutes, 15 points and 10 rebounds in Tuesday’s 98-94 home preseason loss to the Spurs – tells DB.com that favoring the hammy is causing some soreness to his knee.

“Just to be safe, I’m going to the doctor tomorrow,’’ J-Ho told us.

Now, let's call this precautionary. But let's also note that Dallas can hardly afford to lose Josh. Not with the way is playing and not with the way his mates are missing. The Mavs injury problem is extensive. During preseason, the bug has at different times bitten Shawn Bradley, Erick Dampier, Marquis Daniels, Dan Dickau, Michael Finley, Devin Harris, Josh Howard, Dirk Nowitzki, Pavel Podkolzin, Jerry Stackhouse and Jason Terry.

That’s pretty much everybody.

Colleague Chuck Cooperstein put it very succinctly to us late Tuesday night as we reflected on what’s been accomplished in camp: “This,’’ Coop opined, “has been a wasted month.’’

And now, suddenly, it’s time for the next month. With Daniels’ ankle so serious that he hasn’t played at all, and the Mavs quite worried that Finley (hamstring) and Stackhouse (thigh contusion) might join Marquis (ankle) in missing the Nov. 2 regular-season opener and beyond, it is hoped November won’t be a wasted month as well.

“I think right now,’’ Dampier said, “a lot of guys are just tired.’’

Make that “sick and tired.’’ How deep is the injury bug’s bite? Nellie missed the game with the flu, leaving Avery Johnson to run the show. (“Well, I’m 0-1,’’ AJ said, smiling.) Personnel man Ro Blackman has even been laid up for the last few weeks with a bad back. Radio analyst Brad Davis even sat out Tuesday.

On the one hand, as DB.com’s Professor Dennis Hans notes, someone needs to please tell Michael Finley and the fellas that there’s nothing magical about Nov. 2.

Troublesome hamstrings have their own timetables, and they don’t heal any faster just because the start of the season approaches. Fin, Stack, Daniels and JET sat out Tuesday’s loss, and that’s perfectly fine. They need to continue trying to get well first, and once they do, minutes can gradually be built up.

On the other hand, that gradual building of minutes could coincide with a gradual buildup of losses.

"If there's no more questions, I've got a beer that needs consuming."
-- Don Nelson
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-2004, 01:31 AM   #2
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Josh Howard to see doc tomorrow (Wed)

this injury thing is a freakin joke....I cannot ever remember this many important pieces being hurt before a season started before....
Howard needs to be ok for this team to have a decent start to the season.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 08:44 AM   #3
VivaNajera
Golden Member

VivaNajera is a glorious beacon of lightVivaNajera is a glorious beacon of lightVivaNajera is a glorious beacon of lightVivaNajera is a glorious beacon of lightVivaNajera is a glorious beacon of lightVivaNajera is a glorious beacon of lightVivaNajera is a glorious beacon of light
Default RE:Josh Howard to see doc tomorrow (Wed)

looks like we will be starting hood or sasser on opening night
VivaNajera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 09:18 AM   #4
Poindexter Einstein
Golden Member

Poindexter Einstein will become famous soon enough

Neither will be on the roster by then.
Poindexter Einstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 09:27 AM   #5
JD45

JD45 is on a distinguished road

If TAW claims he is healthy, make him play.

I think a player can still play 10 games without resetting the two year injury clock. Make him play 48 minutes a night. If he is healed, fine. If not, there won't be any doubt.

He can't be any worse than Sasser or Hood.
JD45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 09:31 AM   #6
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future

Dickau, Harris, and Terry can cover the guard spots. Dirk can move to the 3, Booth-Benga-Damp-Bradley can cover the power positions.
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 10:23 AM   #7
Blonde Bomber
Golden Member

Blonde Bomber is on a distinguished road

my question is why is Nellie playing a key part to an allready depleated roster 42 minutes on a sore hammy....makes no sense what so ever. They should have shut him down to make sure he can play at the start of the season..

but everybody's right.....what's up with all the injuries? We may be getting off to a slow start this season.
Blonde Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 10:58 AM   #8
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
my question is why is Nellie playing a key part to an allready depleated roster 42 minutes on a sore hammy....makes no sense what so ever.
that question should be addressed to AJ.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 10-27-2004, 12:17 PM   #9
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

i guarantee on opening night, everyone with the exception of marquis will play. ^_~

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 01:20 PM   #10
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally posted by: alby
i guarantee on opening night, everyone with the exception of marquis will play. ^_~
or what?

Old 10-27-2004, 02:04 PM   #11
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

This injury bug is getting to be pretty bad but if it comes down to it I would much rather see our guys sit out the first half of November and be in good shape for the rest of the season than not allow anytime to heal and have reoccuring injuries throughout the season.

Hopefully our backups can step up and capitalize on this opportunity.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 02:32 PM   #12
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
or what?
hah i dont know, im always wrong anyways.. so it wont be anything new lol.

back to the subject at hand, how are jho's hamstrings so weak considering hes still young and not yet even hitting his prime in terms of physical/mental condition. what has his injury history been? was he hurt any at wake? just wondering..

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 08:45 PM   #13
Phil Helmuth

Phil Helmuth is on a distinguished road

The Mav's are soft. I'm serious.
Old 10-27-2004, 09:07 PM   #14
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Soft was the way you laid down for Annie Duke. She ran over you like Erick Dampier through the West!
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 10:04 PM   #15
Phil Helmuth

Phil Helmuth is on a distinguished road

Ah that was a low blow. Using Annie on me is almost as bad as Nellie busting on Bradley.
Old 10-27-2004, 11:50 PM   #16
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally posted by: Phil Helmuth
The Mav's are soft. I'm serious.
sigh...