Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 11-05-2004, 08:12 AM   #1
doggnutz

doggnutz is on a distinguished road
Default Cuban Deserves Praise!!! I apologize thread

Not only do I think we had the best offseason I've seen here in Dallas, but other things are starting to show up that used to be a concern. The only untradeable peace we have now is Micheal Finely but that's OK, because Mike could play here another 4 seasons and still be effective. He has developed his outside shoot to where it's money most of the time. Dallas is no longer on the list with over paid players. I remeber I used to see Shawn Bradley, Jamison, Raef Lafrentz and Juwan Howard and some others on that list. Cuban has turned that into a wonderful mix of veteran and young players. He's also cut payroll. Devin Harris is awesome and I'm wondering what Jason Terry could bring to Dallas. I would love to keep him on the roster for many years to come if he could handle coming off the bench. I think Wahad will be traded by the deadline or next season. The Mavs are on the rise and the future is Bright!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cuban you are awesome.....What evea I said during the offseason before the Damp deal, I Apologize.
doggnutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-2004, 08:30 AM   #2
stuportremens

stuportremens is a name known to allstuportremens is a name known to allstuportremens is a name known to allstuportremens is a name known to allstuportremens is a name known to allstuportremens is a name known to allstuportremens is a name known to allstuportremens is a name known to allstuportremens is a name known to all
Default RE:Cuban Deserves Praise!!! I apologize thread

Thx Cuban! We are not worthy!
Your scouting is impeccable and your wallet is without bottom.
Now give us more benefactor goodness and let us praise your entertainment plz.
stuportremens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 08:40 AM   #3
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Cuban Deserves Praise!!! I apologize thread

Winning does wonders to perception.
Old 11-05-2004, 09:13 AM   #4
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

It is just 2 games, guys. Patience. The Kool-Ade is not even fully dissolved yet.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 09:26 AM   #5
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

cuban..thanks for spending money.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 09:26 AM   #6
Chef Ed

Chef Ed is on a distinguished road

Dooby I agree 100% with what you said. It is only two games and all though both Nelson and Cuban deserve a lot of credit for what they did over the off season, especially given the fact that most of us spent four months taking jabs back and forth at them for what we all felt they should or shouldn't do, it still is only two games.

Still, beating the team that bounced us out of the playoffs is a good start and winning on the road in the first back to back outing of the season is also a good start. But two games do not make an NBA season and winning cures all ills and as long as they continue to win then we will continue to praise them.

My only questions right now is how long Nelson continues to start Devin? Probably the entire season if they continue to play the way they do and Terry continues to pull his teammate up when he isn't at his best, but as good as Terry is I wonder how long this system of Terry coming off the bench will last.

The other question is about heart and about adversitiy. When the Mavs hit that wall and make no mistake sometime during the season it will happen the question for me is how they handle it? But for right now they I'm very impressed with the team effort and that they seem to all be on the same page in such a short period of time. Cuban should get some credit, but Nelson should really get some props for what he has been able to do with this team in such a short period of time.....
Old 11-05-2004, 10:03 AM   #7
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Dooby
It is just 2 games, guys. Patience. The Kool-Ade is not even fully dissolved yet.
I'm taking my Cuban kool-aid in undiluted powder form this year.
The defensive black-hole that was Steve "Nellie's wonder" Nash is selling tickets in prep for playoff flameout in Pheonix,
We've got Damp the double-double dumper to man the formerly middle-less middle,
Harris, and Benga will be here for years, addicted to the playstations and fat towels,
Cubes brought Avery here to put some defensive pressure on Nellie
and helped get a new pituitary for Podkolzin (what a guy)
and "The Benefactor" will get an emmy.

and we're undefeated, baby!
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 10:52 AM   #8
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Cuban does deserve props for setting this thing up to secceed, that is really all we can ask of an owner. But if all goes well...will there be a "Thanks Donnie Thread"?

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 11:12 AM   #9
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

What I'm really wondering about is.... did Cuban let Nash go because of money? Or was it because he was trying to make Nellie play defensive-able players? One way to change the philosophy of the team without getting into an argument with the coach is to let a player walk and say that it was due to money.
Old 11-05-2004, 11:51 AM   #10
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Usually Lurkin
Quote:
Originally posted by: Dooby
I'm taking my Cuban kool-aid in undiluted powder form this year.
The defensive black-hole that was Steve "Nellie's wonder" Nash is selling tickets in prep for playoff flameout in Pheonix,
We've got Damp the double-double dumper to man the formerly middle-less middle,
Harris, and Benga will be here for years, addicted to the playstations and fat towels,
Cubes brought Avery here to put some defensive pressure on Nellie
and helped get a new pituitary for Podkolzin (what a guy)
and "The Benefactor" will get an emmy.

and we're undefeated, baby!
I greatly enjoyed that post. [img]i/expressions/thumbsup.gif[/img]

I'll have what he's having!!

chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 12:04 PM   #11
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: bernardos70
What I'm really wondering about is.... did Cuban let Nash go because of money? Or was it because he was trying to make Nellie play defensive-able players? One way to change the philosophy of the team without getting into an argument with the coach is to let a player walk and say that it was due to money.

I think Steve's huge defensive liabilities played an important part in Cubes not willing to fork over the megabucks to keep him.
Old 11-05-2004, 12:15 PM   #12
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: bernardos70
I think it was because of the contract. Cuban is really committed to not having contracts past the 05-06 season that will bring down the mavs financially. Those may not be the exact years but I believe Fin and Dirk's contracts expire at around the same time.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 10:39 PM   #13
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Cuban has been greatness for years....
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 12:07 AM   #14
Dodge

Dodge is on a distinguished road

Hey kids...long time, first time

As far as Cuban goes, what do you think it was that flipped that lightswitch in his head? Was it necessarily financial? Or was it just the same burning desire that we all have as Mavericks fans - the deep want of respectability and success here in Dallas. He's admitted that every season, no matter how successful on the court, ends up in the red. And we know with all of his investments and outside ventures (aside from reality shows) that he does well for himself aside from owning the Mavericks. So, it wasn't just the financial loss. Whatever it was, in the long run, we'll see they were some of the shrewdest and most brilliant moves made among the Metroplex sports teams in a long time...sorry Chan Ho. While we might not all agree with some of his decisions that effect us as fans, Cuban hit the jackpot with his offseason moves. All we can do now is sit back, relax and wait for the payoff.
Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 12:21 AM   #15
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

I don't believe that Cuban has ever made a single player decision with an eye toward the bottom line. I bet that if he could pay $50mm to have Shaq on his team for the next two years, he'd sign the check before you can say Raef LaFrenz.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 03:16 PM   #16
HexNBA
Golden Member

HexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to all

new blog entry

Man, he actually got fined because he said it was stupid to open the season on election night. I so hate the NBA front office.