Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 12-16-2004, 12:55 AM   #1
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Timeout: Mavs need chance to rebound

Timeout: Mavs need chance to rebound
After a rough stretch, Nelson can scrutinize team more carefully

By MIKE HEIKA / The Dallas Morning News

Don Nelson looked as tired as his team Tuesday night.

The Mavericks' Erick Dampier has not played many minutes in the last two games, including seven against Golden State. With the Mavericks playing six games in nine days (going 3-3 in that span), their coach said it was time to take a break – and inventory.

With a day off Wednesday and two days of practice before starting a less hectic – six games in 19 days – schedule that will take them into the new year, Nelson said now is the time to find out where this 15-9 team fits into the NBA landscape.

"We're going to use this as a building process and try to get where this team needs to be in the next three days," Nelson said. "Then, over the next six to eight weeks, you'll find out who we are."

Nelson said the team looks "a bit confused" – and he has real evidence to sort through. First, the point guard situation is a puzzle. Veteran Jason Terry's minutes have decreased since the Mavericks traded for Darrell Armstrong. Rookie Devin Harris has played no more than five minutes in any of the last five games.

That leaves Armstrong as the court leader.

"This is my first time being traded, and it's a little tough. I'm still trying to learn the playbook," Armstrong said. "I've got to catch up, because I want to be out there together with my team. I don't want to be out there where four other guys are doing one thing and I'm doing something else."

In addition to melding Armstrong into the lineup, the Mavericks also have to find a way to use Jerry Stackhouse and the now healthy Michael Finley at the same time. They did that Tuesday against Golden State, and the two combined for 51 points, but the Mavericks allowed the Warriors to shoot 50 percent from the floor, including 9-of-20 on 3-pointers.

"I know it's tough for Coach," Stackhouse said. "It's just a matter of getting the right unit in and building some continuity. With Michael and myself out there on the wings, we're more of a scoring threat."

The Mavericks also have to decide how to attack teams defensively. Because Armstrong and Terry have been getting beat by opposing point guards off the dribble, the Mavericks have played a lot of zone in recent games. When they play zone, it usually means Shawn Bradley is in and Erick Dampier is on the bench. Dampier, who signed a seven-year, $73 million contract before this season, played seven minutes against Golden State on Tuesday and was pulled against Chicago on Monday.

But Nelson said adjustments will be made in the coming days and weeks.

"It's a good schedule, one where we can build our teamwork," Nelson said. "Hopefully, everyone will be healthy enough to have our rotation in order and we can go through some time where we can identify exactly who we need to be every night."

Because, who the Mavericks need to be, Finley said, is a winning team.

"We definitely have some winnable games, but you can't just go out there and show up," Finley said. "We have to take it one game at a time, but in the overall scheme of things, by the end of the year, we should win all of these games."
Old 12-16-2004, 01:02 AM   #2
The Miles

The Miles is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Timeout: Mavs need chance to rebound

Stack and Finley on the court at the same time is bad for the Mavericks.

So, you know Nelson find a way to get them out there at least half the game together. Joy!

"When you (Coach Johnson) get behind your players like that it’s something special. He’s the general and we are soldiers, you go out there and want to lay it all on the line…that’s the type of situation I wanted to be in."-Doug Christie
The Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 01:51 AM   #3
GoMavsGo

GoMavsGo is on a distinguished road
Default RE:Timeout: Mavs need chance to rebound

just get kidd in here already
GoMavsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 04:26 AM   #4
The Miles

The Miles is on a distinguished road

Marquis Daniels, Jerry Stackhouse, and Darrell Armstrong

for

Jason Kidd

I would do that so quickly. Everyone worries about sending Quis but SG is the easiest spot to find talent. Hell, we could go out and sign Rickey Paulding as soon as the trade goes down and begin to develop him as the future at SG.

It isn't hard to find SGs.

"When you (Coach Johnson) get behind your players like that it’s something special. He’s the general and we are soldiers, you go out there and want to lay it all on the line…that’s the type of situation I wanted to be in."-Doug Christie
The Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 07:47 AM   #5
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Nelson said the team looks "a bit confused"
No shit.

What he doesn't acknowledge is that HE is responsible for the confusion.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 09:54 AM   #6
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The Mavericks also have to decide how to attack teams defensively. Because Armstrong and Terry have been getting beat by opposing point guards off the dribble, the Mavericks have played a lot of zone in recent games. When they play zone, it usually means Shawn Bradley is in and Erick Dampier is on the bench. Dampier, who signed a seven-year, $73 million contract before this season, played seven minutes against Golden State on Tuesday and was pulled against Chicago on Monday.
This kind of comment makes me immediately put this Mike Heika guy into the clueless beat reporter category.

A lot of zone means Bradley in and Dampier out?

In the last 7 games, Bradley is averaging 10.2 mpg. Bradley isn't usually doing anything other than sitting in Nelson's doghouse.
Old 12-16-2004, 11:04 AM   #7
jibikao

jibikao is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: MavKikiNYC
Quote:
Nelson said the team looks "a bit confused"
No shit.

What he doesn't acknowledge is that HE is responsible for the confusion.

Yeah no shit. LOL I am amazed Nelson would use the word "a bit".... I wonder what happens if he said "very"...

Jimmy

www.keepshooting.com
jibikao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 11:27 AM   #8
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Nowitzki refuses to make excuses

By Art Garcia
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

Mavericks forward Dirk Nowitzki wasn't going to blame a pair of subpar performances on his sore lower back, but it's clear he's not 100 percent. Nowitzki admitted after Tuesday's loss to Golden State that he doesn't feel "great" and was looking forward to some time off.

Nowitzki and the Mavs are in the midst of a welcomed three-day break after the stunning 111-107 setback to the Warriors at American Airlines Center. The Mavs (15-9) will attempt to snap their three-game home losing streak Saturday against Atlanta.

Nowitzki scored 13 points on 3-of-13 shooting against Golden State, his lowest total in a complete game this season. He scored 11 at Denver last month but left the game after spraining his ankle in the second quarter.

He has made only 7 of 31 attempts from the field (22.6 percent) over the past two games -- he was 4-of-18 Monday at Chicago -- and hasn't been as active on the boards. Averaging more than 10 rebounds this season, he has grabbed a total of 13 the past two games.

"There is no excuse," Nowitzki said. "Once I step out onto the floor, I have to be good."

Nowitzki fell to second in the league in scoring behind Los Angeles Lakers guard Kobe Bryant. Nowitzki is averaging 26.5 points, while Bryant is averaging 27.1.

Mavs coach Don Nelson is amazed Nowitzki is even playing. Nowitzki took a hard fall on his back Dec. 9 against Seattle, but hasn't missed a game.

"Dirk is all beat up ever since he had that fall," Nelson said. "I don't know how he played in Houston [on Saturday]. He's had a tough go of it. I really appreciate and respect the fact that he's out there giving what he has, which is not a whole lot right now."

Schedule break

The Mavs take on Atlanta, another struggling club, Saturday. The Hawks are the fourth game for the Mavs in a six-game stretch against teams with losing records.

"We want to end this calendar year on a positive note," guard Michael Finley said. "We definitely have some winnable games."

The Mavs are fortunate to be 2-1 during this run, having routed Houston on Saturday before rallying to steal a win at Chicago on Monday. Golden State ended the brief winning streak Tuesday.

"We have a nice stretch of games now for practice and rest, and we're going to make the most of it," said Don Nelson of the current three-day respite.

The Mavs have another two days off after Saturday. They'll travel to New York on Tuesday before finishing the season series with the Hawks at Atlanta the next night. Another three-day break follows, taking the Mavs through Christmas.

"Our goal is to go into the Christmas break 18-9," guard Jerry Stackhouse said. "We need to get these three games."

Briefly

• Michael Finley's Buckets for Hunger Thanksgiving Challenge benefiting the North Texas Food Bank raised $80,057 during November. The amount is equivalent to about a half-million meals for area families. Finley, along with Dirk Nowitzki, Jason Terry, Jerry Stackhouse, Erick Dampier and corporate partner Dave & Buster's, an arcade and restaurant chain, matched donations from fans.

• Jerry Stackhouse said his 27-point effort against Golden State, which included a 19-point third quarter, should come as no surprise.

"That's who I am," said Stackhouse, whose third-period outburst was the highest-scoring quarter for a Maverick this season. "It's a new role to be the sixth man. I'm ready to go when [Don Nelson] calls upon me."
Old 12-16-2004, 01:29 PM   #9
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

Well miles stack and finley weren't responsible for the mavs loss to the Warriors. Dirk was however shooting 3-13 from the floor. How about that Damp getting in Early foul trouble. I 'm not convinced that Kidd will be the end all for all the mavs current struggle. Oh the Raptors defeated the T-Wolves by 6, Trailblazers loss to the Cavs 112-88. The kings struggled early on as well. The only teams that are playing really well are the Suns and the Sonics.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 01:41 PM   #10
jibikao

"Dirk is all beat up ever since he had that fall," Nelson said. "I don't know how he played in Houston [on Saturday]. He's had a tough go of it. I really appreciate and respect the fact that he's out there giving what he has, which is not a whole lot right now."
----------------------------

What is Nelson trying to say? So, he knew Dirk was hurt and not playing well. So he knew he won't get much from him and yet Dirk still played 41 mins? What a good coaching decision.

Jimmy

www.keepshooting.com
Old 12-16-2004, 01:42 PM   #11
jibikao

Quote:
Originally posted by: jibikao
----------------------------

What is Nelson trying to say? So, he knew Dirk was hurt and not playing well. So he knew he won't get much from him and yet Dirk still played 41 mins? What a good coaching decision.

Now you know what I mean that Nelson is hurting Dirk's career.

Jimmy

www.keepshooting.com
Old 12-17-2004, 01:52 AM   #12
bloodyhell

bloodyhell is on a distinguished road

Dirk should be resting for a couple games. I thought he should have rested the game before g.s. and also g.s. That would have given him a lot of time to recoup.

We get more serious when someone's out it seems. Anyway what we need is a pg. Dirk will be fine once he is healthy. And If he has a bad day on his shot he can drive and go to the line afterwards. His free throws are good enough. He'll pick it up.

We just need someone "really good" at the pg position to run the offense imo.
That will help us gel the most and we can move on from there.
Old 12-17-2004, 10:17 AM   #13
Turkey
Banned

Turkey can only hope to improve

What ever happened to the fast paced stop and shoot style of the mavs? It seems like the mavs never gotten back to the things that made them successful ever since NVE left. And its as though Nelson is trying to utilize Dirk thinking that he is Duncan. Dirk has gotta go!!!

F*ckF*ckF*ckF*ckF*ckF*ckF*ckF*ckF*ckF*ckF*ckF*ckF* ckF*ckF*ckF*ckF*ckF*ckF*ckF*ckF*ckF*ckF*ckF*ckF*ck F*ckF*ckF*ckF*ckF*ck

Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 02:16 PM   #14
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

I don't want a fast-paced game, I want a winning team and Im more likely to get what I want than you are.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 02:42 PM   #15
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

I like your new sig better than the last few turkey...

PS: you are a nut.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 05:26 PM   #16
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
"There is no excuse," Nowitzki said. "Once I step out onto the floor, I have to be good."

Nowitzki fell to second in the league in scoring behind Los Angeles Lakers guard Kobe Bryant. Nowitzki is averaging 26.5 points, while Bryant is averaging 27.1.

Mavs coach Don Nelson is amazed Nowitzki is even playing. Nowitzki took a hard fall on his back Dec. 9 against Seattle, but hasn't missed a game.

That is why I feel Dirk Nowitzki is a lader for this team without saying a word. The best player on the team... not 100%, refuses to take a game or two off, and has been playing just like everyone else. And even while he hasn't been playing well, he still wants to be held to to the same standards as everyone else.

Would you rather Dirk be more like Bird/Jordan/Isiah who routinely played through ailments just to be on the court. Or would you rather him be like Vince who sits out every game unless he's "100%". I'll take the former, and play through it.

As the saying goes... you can play hurt, but not injured. Dirk's hurt.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote