Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 01-08-2005, 01:29 PM   #1
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Is NBA lockout on the horizon?

Is NBA lockout on the horizon?

By Art Garcia
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

DALLAS - The "L" word could be on the NBA horizon.

The collective bargaining agreement between the NBA and its players expires in less than six months, and unless significant negotiating progress is made, the league is facing its second lockout in eight seasons.

Players' union executive director Billy Hunter met with Mavericks players Friday, updating them on the owners' current proposal and the status of negotiations. The root of the potential impasse is the ownership stance of a "hard" salary cap and a rollback on guaranteed contracts.

Hunter didn't hold back when asked his position on a rigid cap that would remove many of the current loopholes. The current cap is approximately $43 million, but a number of salary exceptions exist. Mavs owner Mark Cuban has a payroll of $90 million.

"When they talk about cost certainty, they're talking about a hard cap," Hunter said of the owners. "They know to mention 'hard cap' to me is repugnant. Don't even come at me like that.

"But if you analyze their proposal, if you conceded on most of the things they asking for, you'd be backing yourself into a hard cap. ... Whether you're out front with it and say you want a hard cap or you're trying to get it indirectly, a hard cap won't work."

As for a cutback on guaranteed contracts, Hunter said: "That's worse than a hard cap."

He added that the union is proposing a one-year reduction in the length of guaranteed contracts, though the two sides remain "some distance apart."

The Mavs' player representative is Alan Henderson, with rookie Devin Harris serving as the alternate. Veteran center Shawn Bradley has kept close tabs on the situation and is resigned to the likelihood of another lockout. The owners used that strategy before the 1998-99 season, which was delayed until January, when a compressed 50-game schedule began.

"I don't know if it is inevitable, but I know it's very likely just because there is a lot of impasse right now," Bradley said. "It's not to the point of where [the NHL] is."

For the last couple of years, the players' association has begun to build an emergency fund similar to that in other pro sports, using a portion of the players' licensing revenue. Because of the relatively small size of the fund, Bradley said it's "more of a bargaining chip" in negotiations than a long-term money stream for players.

Bradley said a hard cap wouldn't be necessary if owners could govern themselves. Only three teams are below the salary cap, and the current average player's salary is $4 million. Only the New York Knicks have a higher payroll than the Mavs.

"Does Cuban trust Cuban with his money? It makes sense for them," Bradley said of a hard cap. "[The owners] can't trust each other; obviously that's why they want a hard cap. But the players' association is like, 'Why can't they be more disciplined?' "

Hunter is to meet with NBA commissioner David Stern and select owners next week.

"Your strategy has to include everything," Hunter said. "We've got 5 1/2 months to get an agreement, and if we don't get it, I'm sure that one can expect that there will be a lockout."

Bradley tried to put the looming labor problems in perspective.

"It's unfortunate this whole situation is like this," he said. "You look at what's going on in the world here today, especially in the South Pacific and Indian Ocean area. Hockey, basketball, this stuff doesn't matter. We're fighting over stuff that's just ridiculous to fight over."
Old 01-08-2005, 01:32 PM   #2
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Is NBA lockout on the horizon?

Mavs learn progress is slow on labor issue
Players association chief says a lockout may be looming

By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News

The executive director of the NBA Players Association painted a grim picture Friday when he talked to the Mavericks about the upcoming labor issues facing the league and its players.

He used the word "repugnant" to describe the league's efforts for a hard salary cap and, in short, said players should be saving their money.

The current collective bargaining agreement expires after this season.

"Your strategy has to include everything," Hunter said. "If we don't get it [an agreement], you can expect there's going to be a lockout. There's not much happening. We're having discussions, but we're some distance apart. You can discern that things are moving at a snail's pace, if at all."

A hard salary cap, which would save spendaholic owners from themselves, is the key issue. The owners prefer the term "cost certainty."

"When they talk about cost certainty, they're talking about a hard cap," Hunter said. "To mention hard cap to me is repugnant. Don't even come to me with that.

"If you concede on most of the things they're asking, you'd be backing yourself into a hard cap. We don't want a hard cap. We have a soft cap system with exceptions that enable teams to pay players who deserve to be paid or that they want to pay."

Shawn Bradley is the only Maverick who has gone through the last two lockouts, in 1995 and '98. The first one ended in the summer with no lost games. The second dragged into 1999, with the league eventually having a 50-game season.

He knows this dispute could get ugly.

"I don't know if it [a lockout] is inevitable, but I know it's very likely," Bradley said. "It's an impasse right now.

"It's not like hockey, where the owners said they aren't losing any more money by not playing. But the issue is a hard cap. The last time the union said no,and they came up with a luxury tax, which is packaging a hard cap a different way.

"They don't trust [themselves] with their money; that's why the major issue is a hard cap."

While in '95 only free agents and rookies felt the hit of a lockout, the '98 lockout cost many players money, Bradley said.

"Save your money," he said of advice to teammates. "As odd as it may sound, there are guys who live paycheck to paycheck making a million dollars a paycheck. How that can be, I don't know, but it's true. It's not how much you make, it's how much you put away to live on."

Hunter, however, still believes there is hope to avoid a work stoppage.

"My gut tells me that probably when things get tight, we'll probably reach an agreement when we feel pressure, collectively, them and us," he said.

Passing grade:

Don Nelson likes the way his team is improving, but as it heads into a tough match against Indiana tonight, he wouldn't say the Mavericks have overachieved.

"Right now, we have a passing mark," he said. "I wouldn't say we have an A. I wouldn't say we got a B. We have a C-plus. We've made strides in the right direction. But now as the competition gets better, it'll be more of a test for us.

"But we're also making strides defensively. My hope is when we finish this month that we'll be a very well-rounded team."

Briefly:

Shawn Bradley did not practice because of a bruised right hip. ... Marquis Daniels continues to wear out the exercise bike. He said he's seeing modest improvement in his sore right ankle.
Old 01-08-2005, 02:04 PM   #3
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Is NBA lockout on the horizon?

I am sick of players and owners arguing about money that most would view as a priviledge to be making.

What is "repugnant" to me Mr. Hunter is when the fan base has to suffer because of grown ups making selfish decisions that clearly punish the very ones that give you the life you have.

If it weren't for the fans, you wouldn't be driving that fancy car and living in that beautiful house. So it would be best if you guys could figure this thing out without taking something away from us.
Old 01-08-2005, 02:27 PM   #4
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

A hard cap worked for football, didn't it? What's so repugnant about it?

The main thing about max contracts that I feel would help is the maximum length of contract. It should be around 4-5 years, not 7.
Old 01-08-2005, 03:06 PM   #5
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

If the NBA locks out next year & hockey is not back, I will jump out a window. On the other hand, it is probably a sign I need to find a job.
Old 01-08-2005, 04:51 PM   #6
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: bernardos70
A hard cap worked for football, didn't it? What's so repugnant about it?

The main thing about max contracts that I feel would help is the maximum length of contract. It should be around 4-5 years, not 7.
It works for owners...not quite as well for players.

I'm sure tone of the negotiations isn’t helped by the brawl and the ensuing legal battle. Stern is going to try to get back what the federal judge took from him.
Old 01-08-2005, 06:14 PM   #7
The Miles

The Miles is on a distinguished road

The NBA has to get a hard cap in here and soon. There are so many problems with the current NBA Collective Bargaining Agreement, it works to well for the players and not nearly enough for the owners. There are many changes that need to be made and I support a lockout because the health of the league is low right now and if they want to be around in 2050 they should make several changes.

Hard cap, reduced years on guaranteed contracts, more incentives and less guaranteed money, all of these things are places they could start at. The NBA basically needs to look at the NFL's CBA and model it. The players have too many advantages in the NBA, it is just not healthy. If missing the 2005/06 season means that we have a better chance at the NBA being around in 2050 then I will support it. Because the CBA is setup right now to where I don't really see the NBA being around more than 10-15 more years. No ownes make any money, too much of it (55%) of it goes to the players whereas the NFL players get 32% of their revenue.

The NBA needs to follow that plan.

"When you (Coach Johnson) get behind your players like that it’s something special. He’s the general and we are soldiers, you go out there and want to lay it all on the line…that’s the type of situation I wanted to be in."-Doug Christie
The Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 06:48 PM   #8
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
health of the league is low right now
If that's the case, why was the league able to field competitive bids for a new franchise only a couple of years ago? The interested parties were all smart businessmen and had more access to the leagues financials then you are I.

To quote the recent Sporting News article naming Stern the 4th most powerful man in sports:
"TV ratings, attendance, merchandise sales and franchise values are up."

Quote:
No ownes make any money, too much of it (55%) of it goes to the players whereas the NFL players get 32% of their revenue.
Actually NFL players receive roughly 64% of Defined Gross Revenues.

Old 01-08-2005, 11:38 PM   #9
rakesh.s
Golden Member

rakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of light

hard cap would make it more competitive just like the nfl

and teams should have the ability to cut players

i think we're headed for a lockout..Hunter is a moron

the next sport that's headed for a lockout is baseball, the only other sport where just about eveyr guy is overpaid
rakesh.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 12:07 AM   #10
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Quote:
Doubtful... one player can have a much bigger impact in basketball, so the league would still be tilted towards teams with superstars.

Quote:
Only if he agrees to a hard cap.

Seriously, I'd like to see what you hardliners are saying three or four years from now when Dirk or Devin are free and we have to gut our team to sign them or let them go free.
Old 01-09-2005, 12:24 AM   #11
rakesh.s
Golden Member

rakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally posted by: dirno2000
Quote:
Doubtful... one player can have a much bigger impact in basketball, so the league would still be tilted towards teams with superstars.

Quote:
Only if he agrees to a hard cap.

Seriously, I'd like to see what you hardliners are saying three or four years from now when Dirk or Devin are free and we have to gut our team to sign them or let them go free.
if you gut the mavs and twolves team and redistribute some of those players to the hawks and hornets, they would instantly be better teams

i can understand a team having one "star"..but when you have 3 or 4 guys with max contracts just because your owner can afford the luxury tax, then it starts to get out of hand.

if the current system stays the way it is, the better teams will get better and the middle of the pack and crappy teams will get worse
rakesh.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 01:44 AM   #12
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Quote:
f you gut the mavs and twolves team and redistribute some of those players to the hawks and hornets, they would instantly be better teams
The Hawks and the Hornets suck because of bad management...not because of any system.

Quote:
i can understand a team having one "star"..but when you have 3 or 4 guys with max contracts just because your owner can afford the luxury tax, then it starts to get out of hand.
The Knicks have the leagues highest payroll and they're mediocre at best. We're 2nd, but that only places up among a group of teams trying to catch the Spurs (23rd highest payroll in the league). Minny, who you mentioned, is fighting to say in the playoff race at this point. As you can see, a high payroll doesn't guarantee playoff success...just ask Paul Allen.

Quote:
if the current system stays the way it is, the better teams will get better and the middle of the pack and crappy teams will get worse
Simply not true...the current cap prevents it. For instance, the Spurs can’t just go out and sign Ray Allen this offseason. Even if they had the cap room, they’d still have to convince him to take less money and to my recollection, that’s yet to happen with a big time FA. In order to sign a top tier player, you pretty much have to trade for him.

Old 01-09-2005, 01:47 AM   #13
poohrichardson

poohrichardson is on a distinguished road

I still think that max-money contracts should be 3 years max, maybe 4 years.. it will force players to stay at the top of their games.
poohrichardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 02:02 AM   #14
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: poohrichardson
I still think that max-money contracts should be 3 years max, maybe 4 years.. it will force players to stay at the top of their games.
I don't have a problem with that, but the league is going to have to give something to get it...maybe they raise the Max salaries, but shorten the contracts.
Old 01-09-2005, 02:50 AM   #15
MikeB
Golden Member

MikeB has a spectacular aura aboutMikeB has a spectacular aura about

This is all posturing. What Stern really wants is an age limit. When all the chips are down that will be the one thing he will get...and the players will give it so they don't have to deal with a hard cap.
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 08:58 AM   #16
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

OK. I have been following this for months. I am all for a cap in the NHL and am siding with the owners in that one. The NBA does not need, nor should it have a hard cap. The NBA has a luxury tax that is tied directly to revenues. Further, there is an escrow holdback that docks up to 10% of players' salaries when salaries exceed 55% of league revenue.

There is no need for a hard cap. It won't make more teams competitive. Look at the smallest markets in the NBA: Minnisota; Sacremento; San Antonio. Anyone want to dispute that those teams are competitive? Of course not. The other smallest markets are Charlotte and New Orleans-one is new and one is poorly run and was until recently a plaoff team.

Name one team that doesn't make money in the NBA. Dallas. OK. Who else? The knicks make money. Who else is even paying the luxury tax? Also, keep in mind that this year there is only an estimated 20% chance that there is a luxury tax. Next year, 5%. Link. Nobody is losing money unless they want to lose money.

Stern is just angling for a reduction in the length of guaranteed contracts and an age limit. If he can reduce the length of guaranteed contracts, there will be more free agents year to year, which will reduce salaries (that is why salaries are going down in baseball).

No one should be on the owners' side in this one.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote