Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 05-27-2009, 10:05 AM   #401
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future

Thanks to CJ Wilson for bailing us out!!! Wasn't that a tie game 3-3 with the bases loaded and getting a dobule play?

I'm a little foggy as I am trying to go from no-sleep mode to work mode, but truly a fun game and great to see the Yankees lose on top of losing to our beloved Rangers!!!
92bDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-2009, 12:09 PM   #402
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

CJ "fake intensity" Wilson played one very small role in last nights game. Don't forget he HIT a guy with a 1-2 or 2-2 count if I'm remembering correctly to load the bases in the first place. Smooth.

I just get a feeling his recent success is more luck than anything. I'd love it if I was wrong and he didn't allow a run the rest of the year, don't get me wrong. But let's not go annointing him the second coming for a good few weeks. He's still way too inconsistent with his control and I swear all he throws is fastballs.
Old 05-27-2009, 01:30 PM   #403
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future

Did CJ get us out of the inning? YES

Has he been consistant of late? YES

How about we give the guy some credit...while we can?

It's a team game and it's nice to see guys that have struggled doing good. When you look at succesful teams, they get what they expect from the Good guys, but when they get more from guys who little is expected of...then we see some GREAT baseball.

CJ came through last night and all I was trying to do was give him some props for coming through.
Old 05-27-2009, 01:50 PM   #404
mmmfast

mmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to all

I guess any pitcher looks good after watching Harrison shrivel against any form of competition.
Old 05-27-2009, 01:58 PM   #405
mkat
Platinum Member

mkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92bDad View Post
Did CJ get us out of the inning? YES

Has he been consistant of late? YES

How about we give the guy some credit...while we can?

It's a team game and it's nice to see guys that have struggled doing good. When you look at succesful teams, they get what they expect from the Good guys, but when they get more from guys who little is expected of...then we see some GREAT baseball.

CJ came through last night and all I was trying to do was give him some props for coming through.
that's all well and good, and there's nothing wrong with that. thing is, let's see him do his job consistently. the rangers so far haven't asked much out of CJ...just that he DO HIS JOB and he's been so erratic that 2 or 3 innings of work should not deserve praise. It reminds me of when people used to say "screw all the Roy Williams haters!" when he'd get an interception....it's his JOB. doing it consistently is what deserves praise.
Old 05-27-2009, 01:59 PM   #406
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

CJ was great last night. Yeah, he allowed a base runner, but he came in with two runners on (one on third) with only one out and got the team out of the inning without either inherited runner scoring. You cannot ask for anything more than that. Who cares if he hit a batter? He got two out without allowing an inherited runner to score. By any respected baseball man's opinion, he did an absolute hell of a job for the team last night.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 02:02 PM   #407
92bDad
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3 View Post
CJ was great last night. Yeah, he allowed a base runner, but he came in with two runners on (one on third) with only one out and got the team out of the inning without either inherited runner scoring. You cannot ask for anything more than that. Who cares if he hit a batter? He got two out without allowing an inherited runner to score. By any respected baseball man's opinion, he did an absolute hell of a job for the team last night.

Besides, if a Yankee gets plunked without giving up a run...isn't that a bonus!!!
Old 05-27-2009, 02:02 PM   #408
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkat View Post
that's all well and good, and there's nothing wrong with that. thing is, let's see him do his job consistently. the rangers so far haven't asked much out of CJ...just that he DO HIS JOB and he's been so erratic that 2 or 3 innings of work should not deserve praise. It reminds me of when people used to say "screw all the Roy Williams haters!" when he'd get an interception....it's his JOB. doing it consistently is what deserves praise.
Which is what he has done over his last several outings. He's been consistently good enough as of late. He came into a criticial situation last night and put out the fire. Of all the relievers, none came into a worse situation than he did.. and he got the team out of it.

I am not a CJ fan by any stretch of the imagination. But the guy was put into a terrible situation last night and helped save a game that could have very easily been lost.
Old 05-27-2009, 06:25 PM   #409
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocelot_ark View Post
CJ is Jerry Stackhouse. He's just been hitting his ill-advised, rushed shots here lately. Sooner or later he'll fall back to his usual self.
he throws a mid 90s fastball with a pretty wicked slider. As long as hes attacking with the fastball and only throwing the slider for swinging strikes down and in and not trying to back door it or get it as a called strike hes pretty darn good.

Chris davis is having the best month or so of defense ive ever seen a first basemen play. Im only 23 but ive watched a TON of baseball over that time span and this is the best era of first base defense ever(probably 3 of the 5 best defensive first basemen of all time have played during this era) Kinsler should have never made that throw but davis blocking it was an important play. And he actually even caught it. I know smoak was touted as a potential gg first basemen but if we keep both guys, he will be the dh, not davis(unless davis goes to right field which i dont want to happen)

Kinsler has very quietly been the best defensive second basemen in baseball this year but he had gone ice cold until last night. I really think him getting hot home run wise is a bad thing for him in the long run though. Both times in his career hes had a huge home run stretch hes immediately followed it with an extended ice cold stretch.

Nice to see Nelson Cruz get hot again. Also in the outfield, ive never really like david murphy but i really like his new approach. Hes got a higher obp with a 230 avg than he did with a 270 avg last year. If he can bring his average back up(which is mostly the product of a cold start hes hitting over 300 for the last 22 games) hes a solid player.

Looking at the asg I think the rangers have 3 mortal locks. Young, Kinsler and FF are all locks. Nelson cruz and millwood also should have a shot
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 09:09 PM   #410
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

Thanks to CJ Wilson for bailing us out! How 'bout thanks to Salty or CD for getting us late runs? I can see this thread turning into a CJ debate due to the recent ape comment so that's why I have a problem with pointing out the work done by CJ, of all people, just to prove an agenda.

I'm guessing every time CJ comes in and manages to not give up a run, there will be a CJ comment. "Woo hoo - how bout that job CJ did last night only hitting 3 guys and lucking into a triple play on a bullet hit to MY!!! woo hoo. all is well!"
Old 05-27-2009, 09:23 PM   #411
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

im getting real tired of strikes being called balls when the rangers pitch and balls being called strikes when the rangers are hitting.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:23 PM   #412
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

is this guy serious with the strike zone tonight?
Old 05-27-2009, 09:24 PM   #413
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco View Post
considering he was squeezing holland tonight thats kinda my question.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:24 PM   #414
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

CD has enough problems without the ump helping out a pitcher like Burnett.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:30 PM   #415
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

Am I the only one that thinks Madrigal is a AA pitcher? Jesus.
Old 05-28-2009, 10:22 AM   #416
92bDad
Platinum Member

Quote:

I was trying not to go there, I don't want this to turn into a Mavs/Referee conspiracy...but dang, CD got jobbed last night.

I also noticed that for some reason FSN didn't show the Strike Zone tracker as much as they have in other games.

On that note, human error is what it is...I do not believe there is a bias, just simply a bit of an error issue. So why not, use technology to call balls/strikes?

Have umpires use their own judgement for Balls/Strikes as a back-up, but have some type of communication device hooked up to a tracker and let it signal the ump if a pitch is a ball or a strike.

This would create a more consistant strike zone and ultimately remove any individual inclination to call ball/strike for or against any team.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:10 AM   #417
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92bDad View Post
I was trying not to go there, I don't want this to turn into a Mavs/Referee conspiracy...but dang, CD got jobbed last night.

I also noticed that for some reason FSN didn't show the Strike Zone tracker as much as they have in other games.

On that note, human error is what it is...I do not believe there is a bias, just simply a bit of an error issue. So why not, use technology to call balls/strikes?

Have umpires use their own judgement for Balls/Strikes as a back-up, but have some type of communication device hooked up to a tracker and let it signal the ump if a pitch is a ball or a strike.

This would create a more consistant strike zone and ultimately remove any individual inclination to call ball/strike for or against any team.

Absolutely.

This will eventually happen and it will be like the other painfully obvious major sports flaws such as:

1)Flipping a coin in O.T. to decide an NFL game. It should be done similar to college football but maybe brought back to the 40 yard line. Both teams get possessions.

2)College football, when a reciever makes a diving catch he is down without contact. That is stupid and in no way trains and prepares the player for the next level.

3) NBA, Some sort of coaches challenge or review on certain calls with less than 4 minutes in games. or 2 mins... whatever

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 11:55 AM   #418
mmmfast

mmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to all

Every time the did show the imprinted strike zone it was a called strike outside the zone, no wonder they went away from it. Holland looked ok but you just can't give that lineup so many belters down main street.

Christ I despise out of state, front running Yankee fans. I am normally a kind person but I wanted to bitch slap parents and children alike last night.
Old 05-28-2009, 12:26 PM   #419
Murphy3
Guru

He threw a ton of pitches that caught way too much of the plate. He was basically throwing BP at times.
Old 05-28-2009, 12:27 PM   #420
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmfast View Post
Every time the did show the imprinted strike zone it was a called strike outside the zone, no wonder they went away from it. Holland looked ok but you just can't give that lineup so many belters down main street.

Christ I despise out of state, front running Yankee fans. I am normally a kind person but I wanted to bitch slap parents and children alike last night.
I pretty much dislike anyone from New York or that is a fan of the Yankees... does that make me a bad person?
Old 05-28-2009, 12:27 PM   #421
Kirobaito
Platinum Member

Kirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmfast View Post

At the game, I asked the Yankees "fan" sitting next to me, "So... where in New York are you from?"

He looked at me and said he wasn't from New York - he was from Carrollton.

I replied, "Oh, I see... well, I hope you're real proud of yourself, then."

We got up and moved, then. I'm sure I looked like an idiot to him, but I didn't care.
Old 05-28-2009, 12:57 PM   #422
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

Yankees and Lakers...all that is wrong with the world.
Old 05-29-2009, 07:03 PM   #423
mavspwnage
Golden Member

mavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant future

good start to the double-header. The bats came alive in the last two innings. 3 HR's to get the job done. Win #2 comes tonight!

btw, WTF is this crap?

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont....2a399355.html

LAAAME

Last edited by mavspwnage; 05-29-2009 at 07:03 PM.
mavspwnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 10:51 PM   #424
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

First place Texas Rangers.

Someone call the league and find out if they can play the A's 114 times more this year.
Old 05-30-2009, 01:11 PM   #425
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

I still don't know whether to be incredibly excited that we're doing this well while Hamilton and Davis are absolutely sucking, or worried that we won't keep this up if they continue to struggle.

Josh's struggles seem to be going under reported right now as everyone focuses on Davis.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 05:49 PM   #426
Kirobaito
Platinum Member

Kirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant future

Quote:
First place Texas Rangers.

Someone call the league and find out if they can play the A's 114 times more this year.
Only 13 more times, unfortunately. But the Mariners another 14 times, so that should be good as well. In 2006, the A's made the playoffs solely because they went 17-2 against the Mariners.
Old 05-31-2009, 01:51 AM   #427
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

good recovery from the yanks series

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 08:00 AM   #428
92bDad
Platinum Member

Made it to last nights game. I had a personal boycott on the Rangers, a few years back I got fed up with the way the team/organization was being run. Signing 'Hype' players, trading for has beens, etc...So I told myself I would not spend a dime on the Rangers until they were 10 games over .500

For the past 2 years I have watched from the comfort of my house and I have been hoping that they would reach my boycott limit sooner rather than later...and they have. Exceeding all my expectations so far.

This is a year in the process that is suppose to be about progress...but dang, this is some SERIOUS progress.

After they swept the double header, I made plans to head out to the ballpark, and last nights game turned otu to be a great way to break my own personal boycott.

The crowd was great, with 45,325 in attendance for a non-special regular season game. Amazing what this metroplex will do for a WINNING team!!!
Old 05-31-2009, 02:17 PM   #429
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
Josh's struggles seem to be going under reported right now as everyone focuses on Davis.
I was thinking the exact same thing.
Old 05-31-2009, 02:27 PM   #430
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I was thinking the exact same thing.
Can you imagine how good the offense may be if Josh and Davis actually get on track though........Good grief.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 09:47 PM   #431
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

best thing about baseball, you play your next game really soon

Contact Me

Last edited by alby; 05-31-2009 at 09:48 PM.
Old 05-31-2009, 10:31 PM   #432
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Yankees
Red Sox
Toronto
Dodgers

Lord, beer us strength.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."

Last edited by mary; 05-31-2009 at 10:37 PM.
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 10:33 PM   #433
alby
Guru

to that I say, bring it.

Contact Me
Old 06-01-2009, 01:51 AM   #434
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Have to say it again THANKS FOR ADRIAN GONZALEZ.
mavs777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 09:20 AM   #435
Murphy3
Guru

I'm extremely pissed at Kinsler right now. He's probably my least favorite Rangers player. I hate watching players that:

1. don't hustle. The guy doesn't run out grounders. He also didn't run out a pop fly yesterday that ended up being a hit. If he would have been running hard, he would have been at second. It would have been nice to have an opportunity at another run.

2. aren't aware of game situations... How many times do we see Kinsler make ill advised throws to first when there's no chance at recording an out? Davis has saved his ass on multiple occasions. How many base running blunders has this guy made simply because he isn't aware of the game situation?

I hate unintelligent players. I hate guys that don't hustle. Kinsler is a very good player, but he's held back from being even better by what's in between his ears.
Old 06-01-2009, 10:13 AM   #436
TheMaverick
Golden Member

TheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to behold

reminds me of Josh Howard

The Legendary Mavericks:
- Mark Aguirre
- Rolando Blackman
- Tom Cruise
- Jason Kidd
- Mel Gibson
- Michael Finley
- Dirk Nowitzki
- Jason Kidd (again)
- who's next?
TheMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 11:45 AM   #437
92bDad
Platinum Member

Now is the next level of baseball tests for this team.

1st, we have fan pressure as individual players are struggling. The obvious has been Chris Davis, but not far behind we see some chinks in the armor of Josh Hamilton and Ian Kinsler...How do these players respond?
2nd, for all the pitching success, we are seeing some level of struggle...will this turn ugly quickly or will the pitchers regain form? Milwood, Holland, Harrison...

How are the fans and media going to respond as these players hit a bit of speed bump on what appears to be a brilliant season for the Rangers?

How will the players respond? How long will they allow the mini slumps effect their overall season?

What a time to hit some struggles, with the Yankees, Red Sox, Blue Jays and Dodgers coming up!!!

Will the fans stay in Knee Jerk mode, or will they be patient and allow the season to unfold for what it is?
Old 06-01-2009, 12:43 PM   #438
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Beat up on dodgers please
mavs777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 03:08 PM   #439
Murphy3
Guru

If the past few starts are struggling for Millwood, then I think we'll take that level of "struggle" from him without a second thought. Yeah, he didn't have his best stuff yesterday, but he managed 6 innings with a 3.00 ERA.
Old 06-01-2009, 04:33 PM   #440
92bDad
Platinum Member

Quote:
If the past few starts are struggling for Millwood, then I think we'll take that level of "struggle" from him without a second thought. Yeah, he didn't have his best stuff yesterday, but he managed 6 innings with a 3.00 ERA.
Murph,

I agree with the results...the struggle is when 110 pitches would get you 8-9 innings from Millwood, now all of a sudden it gets you 6...that's on the fringe of giving us concern.

That's the point...we've had some truly awesome baseball, much higher than perhaps any of us expected. So now as the season starts to break into the meat of the season, we will see how the team, fans and media will respond.

Playing the Yankees, Red Sox, Jays and Dodgers...what will fans take as acceptable? Do we expect the team to keep playing at a .600 Winning %, or will .500 or even .400 be good enough until they start playing the less competitive teams again?

Can we get 2-3 games of Pitching dominance in this next 3 week stretch?

Will the bats come back to life...funny that so far this year, the bats have been the weakest part of the team...can it regain form, without losing any pitching effectiveness?

It's still a year of progress and to contend it takes going through a process. How will the team respond if it goes through a team wide slump?

If it wins in the next few weeks, will the team truly believe in itself and keep focused on the long-term goal?

If it loses in the next few weeks, will they fall back to Ranger teams of the past and fall apart in the 2nd half?

So far the indications are that this team is resiliant and that they will succeed...but no doubt, Ranger history is knocking at the door...do they, the fans, team, media let it creep in, or do they say, "F-EM" to History, this is a new team and we are making out own History!!!

Tags
a swing and a fluff, double fluff, fluff pole, fluff rodriguez, fluff-wash-repeat, fluffy reputation, got a bit fluffy in here, grand fluff, infield fluff rule, inside the fluff home run, its 123 fluffs ur out, juice up the fluff, no-fluffer, peanuts & fluffer-jack, performanceenhancingfluff, seventh inning fluff, that fluff is outta here, walk-off fluffer, you guys are f'ing gay