Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 03-01-2009, 12:09 PM   #1
monty55555
Platinum Member

monty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant future
Default A Look at Jason Kidd's Career (10,000 Career Assists/4th All-Time)

I know Kidd is at the downside of his career but it really is nice to see what great achievements he has compiled in his illustrious career. He may reach another one tonight.

This is a pretty good article summarizing the different milestones he has amassed during his 15 year career as a professional basketball player.

Quote:
Jason Kidd is a point guard and much, much more
By JAN HUBBARD
jhubbard@star-telegram.com

When he first heard the news, Jason Kidd giggled briefly and shook his head. He seemed slightly amused, slightly amazed but unmistakably proud.

Kidd had been informed that he was approaching a milestone attained by only three other men in NBA history.

"What milestone?" he asked.

Ten thousand assists.

Kidd said nothing, searching, perhaps, for the proper way to react to the monumental achievement. Others, however, were more than willing to speak for him.

"When we evaluate point guards, the biggest thing is whether they make their teammates better," said former Dallas Mavericks assistant and veteran NBA coach Del Harris. "And when you have 10,000 assists, you obviously made a lot of folks better."

Kidd has 9,987 assists, so he could reach the milestone when the Mavericks host the Toronto Raptors tonight in American Airlines Center.

"It would be a great accomplishment," he said, "and a credit to every teammate I’ve ever played with because I can’t get an assist unless someone else scores."

Assists are the most notable of Kidd’s individual statistics. But they are only part of the résumé he began building when the Mavericks made him the second player picked in the 1994 draft.

Among the greats

If assists are the measure of the best point guards in NBA history, Jason Kidd is obviously in elite territory. The top 10 all-time leaders are:

1. John Stockton: 15,806

2. Mark Jackson: 10,334

3. Magic Johnson: 10,141

4. Jason Kidd: 9,987

5. Oscar Robertson: 9,887

6. Isiah Thomas: 9,061

7. Gary Payton: 8,966

8. Rod Strickland: 7,987

9. Maurice Cheeks: 7,392

10. Steve Nash: 7,282

When comparing all statistical categories, however, Kidd measures up quite well against other members of the top 10.

Kidd is the current active leader among all NBA players in career steals with 2,165 and he ranks eighth all-time. Among point guards, only John Stockton (2.2) and Maurice Cheeks (2.1) rank ahead of Kidd (2.0) in steals per game.

Among point guards, Kidd is the third best rebounder in history. Only Oscar Robertson (7.5) and Magic Johnson (7.2) are ahead of Kidd (6.7). This season, Kidd (6.2) leads all NBA guards in rebounding, and that includes Kobe Bryant (5.4).

Of the top 10 point guards, Kidd ranks last in career shooting percentage (.402). He obviously has never been a great jump shooter but, interestingly, in career 3-point shooting percentage, Kidd (34.0) ranks third behind only Steve Nash (43.0) and John Stockton (38.4).

"It’s kind of like my golf game," Kidd said, jokingly. "I have trouble with the short game but I love the long drive."

Tough defensively

At a time when it is popular to point out that Kidd can no longer defend the quicker point guards in the league — a strange bit of criticism since quick point guards do not stop each other — it may come as a surprise to the unaware that Kidd is regarded as one of the greatest point guard defenders in NBA history.

Oscar Robertson is the only player among the top 10 point guards to play before the league selected all-defensive teams. But of the remaining nine players, only two have made all-defensive teams at least nine times. Those two are Gary Payton and Jason Kidd.

And it should be noted that All-Defensive teams are selected by NBA coaches, not media. Making an All-Defensive team is the ultimate sign of respect from opposing coaches. Of the top 10 points guards in assists, these have made All-Defensive teams:

Player 1st team 2nd team Total
Gary Payton 9 0 9
Jason Kidd 4 5 9
Maurice Cheeks 4 1 5
John Stockton 0 5 5

Mark Jackson, Magic Johnson, Isiah Thomas, Rod Strickland and Steve Nash never made All-Defensive teams.

"Jason is an elite defender," said New Jersey coach Lawrence Frank, who was either an assistant or head coach during Kidd’s seven seasons with the Nets. "A couple of things that people don’t realize. He has unbelievable strong hands, so if he touches the ball, he gets it.

"Plus he has a sixth sense about where the ball’s going to be. So he gets to virtually every loose ball. He anticipates where the ball is coming off the rim and he can anticipate where passes are going. He’s one of a kind."

Point guard model

J.J. Barea was 12 years old and living in Mayaguez, Puerto Rico, when Jason Kidd was traded from the Mavericks to the Suns.

"That’s when I first started watching him," Barea said. "He was the guy I wanted to be like. He was it — not anyone else. I loved the way he rebounded, the passes he made in transition, the way he sees the floor and the way he throws it ahead on the break."

Barea copied much of Kidd’s game and still finds it hard to believe that he not only is now Kidd’s backup, but is also sometimes in the lineup at the same time with Kidd.

"It’s amazing to play with him," Barea said. "He’s always looking for me. He’s always telling me to be aggressive. He’s going to be in the Hall of Fame, so you’ve got to listen to him."

By the time Barea got in high school, Kidd had been traded to the Nets, so Barea bought a Nets jersey with Kidd’s name on the back.

"I wore it until I went to college," Barea said. "I’ve still got it stored at home."

Which gives Barea something in common with New Orleans point guard Chris Paul, who played on the Olympic team with Kidd last summer. Paul responded to questions submitted to the Hornets PR department and said:

"I did have one of his jerseys when he played with the Nets. I have always been a huge fan of his and the way he dominates and controls the game without scoring. His [101] triple-doubles may be something that may never be done again."

More than meets the eye

Watching Jason Kidd play on TV at this point in his career is a little like watching him play on radio because he makes so many plays with no TV cameras focused on him. Unfortunately, unlike members of the media and season ticket holders, many fans don’t have access to see games live. If they did, Mark Cuban said they’d see a different player.

"If you see games in person," Cuban said, "you get a full appreciation for what he does. No one covers the court from end to end like J-Kidd."

Kidd’s statistics aren’t as impressive as they were when he was younger, but opponents are sometimes surprised by his energy.

As Chicago rookie Derrick Rose said after a recent game against Kidd, "He looked like a rookie to me the way he was running around out there."

"Unless you understand the game and unless you are there, you don’t see all the things he does," said Nets president Rod Thorn. "He’s got an innate sense like a Wayne Gretzky in hockey. He just knows where the ball is coming and because of his strength, he’s always able to get it. If you see him and a big man get to the ball and get their hands on it at the same time, Jason’s usually going to get it."

Kidd attributes his strength to his father, who kept horses in the backyard of their Oakland home when Kidd was growing up.

"I always had to do chores and lift bales of hay," Kidd said. "I was always scared of the hooks, so I would just lift the hay with my hands. Doing that sort of thing helped develop what some people have called heavy hands."

Kidd will turn 36 this month and he is still in excellent shape. He says he is able to maintain his speed and conditioning by working out often during the summer. In particular, he spends a lot of time in the pool to reduce the stress on his legs and knees.

He also does not eat much red meat and only occasionally drinks wine in the off-season.

"I try to stay away from fried food," Kidd said. "But I love McDonald’s French fries. That the one thing I cheat on."

Kidd also said he sleeps a lot, and he believes rest can help in many ways — including some tongue in cheek. When he was told that he ranked third among point guards in career rebounding, Kidd noted he was barely 6-4 and said: "Magic was 6-9 and how tall was Oscar? 6-5? I’m still trying to grow. If I sleep a lot, I figure one day I might be as tall as them."

International reputation

USA Basketball loves Jason Kidd. When Jerry Colangelo addressed the Olympic team at a meeting before going to Bejing, he made a presentation and pointed out that Kidd was the only player in the room with an Olympic gold medal, which Kidd won in the 2000 Olympics.

Kidd’s career as an international player is probably the most impressive of any player in history. Perhaps the most amazing stat in his career — arguably even more impressive than his 10,000 assists — is his 57-0 record in international play.

Colangelo’s message was that players should look to Kidd for leadership because of the gold medal and undefeated record, and Kidd saw an opportunity.

"LeBron [James] was sitting next to Kobe [Bryant] when I made that statement," Colangelo said. "And Jason turned around and said to both of them, 'And don’t you guys screw it up,’ which I thought was pretty good and kind of set the tone for the Olympics."

Thorn was once a top executive for USA Basketball and was part of the committee that selected Kidd for the 2000 Olympics. Thorn also traded for Kidd and brought him to New Jersey, where Kidd led the Nets to the NBA Finals twice. They lost each time — first to the Lakers then to the Spurs. But before Kidd arrived, the Nets had been in the playoffs only four times in the previous 15 seasons and had not won even one playoff series. They were the Clippers of the East.

"What he did for us was amazing," Thorn said. "But that’s what he’s done his entire career. He’s been unbelievable. The great thing about his statistics is that he doesn’t care about them. He doesn’t care if other point guards have great stats against him. He just wants to win. And that will to win is what has set him apart and made him a great player."

The Big Five

The top five career assist men in NBA history:

1. John Stockton: 15,806

Some call Stockton the greatest playmaker in the league’s history.

2. Mark Jackson: 10,334

Nothing flashy about Jackson, but he set up teammates for 17 seasons.

3. Magic Johnson: 10,141

The greatest all-around PG of all time had his career cut short because of HIV.

4. Jason Kidd: 9,987

In his 15th season, Kidd’s outstanding career is winding down.

5. Oscar Robertson: 9,887

Averaged a triple-double in 1961-62, but the game was played at a much quicker pace then.

By comparison

When you are one of the 10 leaders in all-time assists, you usually are rewarded with individual honors. Here’s a list of how the top point guards compare to each other in individual awards.

Player Yrs All-NBA All-Star Games MVP voting
1st team 2nd team 3rd team
John Stockton 19 2 6 3 10 7
Mark Jackson 17 0 0 0 1 13
Magic Johnson 13 9 1 0 12 W-3
Jason Kidd 15 5 1 0 9 2
Oscar Robertson 14 9 2 0 12 W-1
Isiah Thomas 13 3 2 0 12 5
Gary Payton 17 2 5 2 9 3
Rod Strickland 17 0 1 0 0 18
Maurice Cheeks 15 0 0 0 4 none
Steve Nash 13 3 1 2 6 W-2
Notes: In the MVP column, a "W" means MVP awards that were won. If there no "W," the number in the column represents the highest finish in MVP voting for that player. ... Cheeks never placed in MVP voting. ... There was no All-NBA third team when Robertson played.

Last edited by monty55555; 03-02-2009 at 06:25 PM.
monty55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2009, 12:42 PM   #2
ghazi
Platinum Member

ghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud of

Neat. Hope he gets it tonight, more than likely will get it tomorrow.
ghazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 01:10 PM   #3
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Stockton never got higher than 7th in MVP voting while Nash won twice?

That makes a lot of sense.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 01:44 PM   #4
Sportstudi
Diamond Member

Sportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant future

It would be amazing to witness (okay, for me only online) him hitting the mark tonight.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the former." (Albert Einstein)
Sportstudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 02:47 PM   #5
AxdemxO
Diamond Member

AxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to behold

Kidd is amazing... GO MAVS

"It feels disrespectful when you watch these shows, TNT, ESPN, and they're talking, 'Walk through the Mavericks, that's who you want to play," Terry said. "OK. We'll see if that's who you want to play."

........GO MAVS
AxdemxO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 07:57 PM   #6
thetrews

thetrews can only hope to improve

Why did we ever trade him in the 1st place?
thetrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 07:58 PM   #7
Tokey41
Platinum Member

Tokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to behold

I wonder when Chris Paul will make his debut on that list (and the steals list).
Tokey41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 11:57 PM   #8
monty55555
Platinum Member

monty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant future

Congrats JKidd.
Old 03-02-2009, 12:28 AM   #9
TheMaverick
Golden Member

TheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to behold

I'm thankful Jason Kidd is a Dallas Maverick.

The Legendary Mavericks:
- Mark Aguirre
- Rolando Blackman
- Tom Cruise
- Jason Kidd
- Mel Gibson
- Michael Finley
- Dirk Nowitzki
- Jason Kidd (again)
- who's next?
TheMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 01:03 AM   #10
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

He needs 139 more to pass up Magic this year, meaning he would only need 6.04 APG to hit the mark in the regular season.

=]

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."

Last edited by ty; 03-02-2009 at 01:08 AM.
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 01:10 AM   #11
monty55555
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty View Post
He needs 139 more to pass up Magic this year, meaning he would only need 6.04 APG to hit the mark in the regular season.

=]

Nice! He will probably be 2nd All-Time when he retires. Amazing achievement.
Old 03-02-2009, 02:03 AM   #12
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

Where 10,000 Happens.

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 02:15 AM   #13
TheMaverick
Golden Member

TheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to behold

Where one of the greatest PG's in the game happens.

The Legendary Mavericks:
- Mark Aguirre
- Rolando Blackman
- Tom Cruise
- Jason Kidd
- Mel Gibson
- Michael Finley
- Dirk Nowitzki
- Jason Kidd (again)
- who's next?
Old 03-02-2009, 05:58 AM   #14
Sportstudi
Diamond Member

Sportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokey41 View Post
I wonder when Chris Paul will make his debut on that list (and the steals list).
You mean in APG or in total? 'Cause in APG he's already qualified and currently Nr. 3 with 9.77 APG. Well, in total... I think he will need 7-8 seasons more to be amongst the best.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the former." (Albert Einstein)
Sportstudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 08:32 AM   #15
TheMaverick
Golden Member

Chris Paul: 3 career 20 assist games
Deron Williams: 4 career 20 assist games

who would have thought that?

The Legendary Mavericks:
- Mark Aguirre
- Rolando Blackman
- Tom Cruise
- Jason Kidd
- Mel Gibson
- Michael Finley
- Dirk Nowitzki
- Jason Kidd (again)
- who's next?
Old 03-02-2009, 08:57 AM   #16
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

He needed 13 - he got 15...

Mr. Kidd, please take your nuts off the glass!

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 03-02-2009 at 08:57 AM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 10:43 AM   #17
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Good job and good great game KIDD!!!

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 02:30 PM   #18
TheMaverick
Golden Member

While marveling about Jason Kidd surpassing the 10,000-assist milestone, Dirk mentioned that he might not hit it if he plays 60 years. He was exaggerating, of course. Dirk is on pace to get his 10,000th assists about 40 years from now.

But Dirk did have a point about how remarkable it was for Kidd to rack up that many assists, joining John Stockton, Mark Jackson and Magic Johnson in the five-digit club.

Add up the assist totals of the rest of the Mavs on last night's active roster, and you fall well short of 10,000. Led by Jason Terry's 3,855, the other 11 active Mavs have a combined career total of 8,722 assists. Dirk is the only other guy on the active roster who has hit the 1,000-assist milestone.

The Legendary Mavericks:
- Mark Aguirre
- Rolando Blackman
- Tom Cruise
- Jason Kidd
- Mel Gibson
- Michael Finley
- Dirk Nowitzki
- Jason Kidd (again)
- who's next?
Old 03-02-2009, 04:19 PM   #19
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future

Kidd, perhaps one of the most underappreciated players in the NBA.

I hope we get to see a Mavs/Lakers showdown and that somehow, miracle of basketball miracles...Kidd and company turn the lights out on the Lakers and Kobe's dreams!!!
92bDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 04:32 PM   #20
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92bDad View Post
Kidd, perhaps one of the most underappreciated players in the NBA.

I hope we get to see a Mavs/Lakers showdown and that somehow, miracle of basketball miracles...Kidd and company turn the lights out on the Lakers and Kobe's dreams!!!

Yeah but. IF they were dreaming.. wouldn't the lights technically already be out? See that's the thing you didn't think about I bet, that part right there.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY

Last edited by SMC0007; 03-02-2009 at 04:33 PM.
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote