Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 01-16-2018, 05:01 PM   #1
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

Honestly the more I watch Doncic the more I think he's a no brainer pick after top 2. Everything about him looks like a perfect fit for this team.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 05:31 PM   #2
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_Wilson View Post
Honestly the more I watch Doncic the more I think he's a no brainer pick after top 2. Everything about him looks like a perfect fit for this team.
I like Doncic a lot, but I'd still take Porter over him... Maybe I'm still buying into the "next Durant" hype, but I just can't shake the notion that he could have the most upside in this draft.

My biggest problem with trying to project the Mavs top-10 is Young -- at what point does BPA edge out need? Still have Bamba over him, but #6 just seems too low for a player of his caliber. He likely won't be there when we pick, but what if he is?

Still don't think Sexton makes enough of an impact to overlook need -- doesn't make sense to try to pair him with DSJ... Also think Knox is way too similar to Barnes to crack my top-10... But I do finally have Mikal over Miles.

DeAndre Ayton
Marvin Bagley II
Michael Porter Jr
Luka Doncic
Mohamed Bamba
(Trae Young?)
Jaren Jackson Jr
Mikal Bridges
Wendell Carter
Miles Bridges

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 01-16-2018 at 05:47 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 05:38 PM   #3
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
I like Doncic a lot, but I'd still take Porter over him... Maybe I'm still buying into the "next Durant" hype, but I just can't shake the notion that he could have the most upside in this draft.

My biggest problem with trying to project the Mavs top-10 is Young -- at what point does BPA edge out need? Still have Bamba over him, but #6 just seems too low for a player of his caliber. He likely won't be there when we pick, but what if he is?

Still don't think Sexton makes enough of an impact to overlook need -- doesn't make sense to try to pair him with DSJ... Also think Knox is way to similar to Barnes to crack my top-10... But I do finally have Mikal over Miles.

DeAndre Ayton
Marvin Bagley II
Michael Porter Jr
Luka Doncic
Mohamed Bamba
(Trae Young?)
Jaren Jackson Jr
Mikal Bridges
Wendell Carter
Miles Bridges
I can see the argument for Porter and Young starting at 3 really regardless of need. I personally have Doncic firmly at 3 but if we have a top 6 pick I'm ecstatic with all of those guys regardless of order. If we land 7+ then the only thing I'll be happy about is I won't need to make my bed anymore, seeing as how I'll never leave it.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 12:52 PM   #4
Magnum_3_Ball
Banned

Magnum_3_Ball has a spectacular aura aboutMagnum_3_Ball has a spectacular aura aboutMagnum_3_Ball has a spectacular aura about

Quote:

Still don't think Sexton makes enough of an impact to overlook need -- doesn't make sense to try to pair him with DSJ... Also think Knox is way too similar to Barnes to crack my top-10... But I do finally have Mikal over Miles.

DeAndre Ayton
Marvin Bagley II
Michael Porter Jr
Luka Doncic
Mohamed Bamba
(Trae Young?)
Jaren Jackson Jr
Mikal Bridges
Wendell Carter
Miles Bridges

Hello Dallas Mavs forum! This is my first post. I'm glad I found this thread. Since the Cowboys were unceremoniously bounced from the playoffs, I've been looking at the NBA draft since that's what the Mavs are playing for this season. Oooooh, I was so mad when we won those 4 games in a row; especially after we had just saddled ATL with a win. Smh lol

Anyways, some things I've read/heard about the 2018 draft prospects. I agree with Underdog. To me, Ayton is the clear #1 prospect on this board. He's the one player who appears to measure out a legit 7' feet. Both Bagley & Bamba I have seen listed anywhere from 6-9 to 7 feet, which lets you know they're probably both a lot closer to 6-9. Imo, Bamba is a clear drop off from the top tier talent in this draft. Bamba is the start of tier 2 for me.

I've heard it discussed on a couple of boards that Porter Jr likely won't even declare for the 2018 draft. The reason given is it's said to be very important to him to win a national championship in college & to win one for his home state of Missouri. I'm not sure how much validity you can give those reports, but I think it's definitely fair to question whether he declares or not.

Also, regarding Porter Jr, herniated discs are no joke. I had a herniated disc myself that required surgery 10 years ago. I haven't run or jump since. Basically due to doctor's recommendations. True, I'm not a professional athlete & if I were, I would most likely sacrifice some of my long term quality of life considerations for millions of dollars. Still, the point remains. Yes, you can do constant physical therapy & keep your core strong, but it's a chore, and your back will always be weakened. I think it's a major red flag. Knowing what I know about herniated discs, I doubt I would take Michael Porter Jr with a 1st round pick. He'd have to come back to college & prove it to me.

I've also read glowing reviews of Mikal Bridges across a half-dozen sites or so. Pretty much everyone has him as their dark horse/sleeper of the draft. Oh, and I heard one site list Sexton as a potential top 5 pick. He's near 20 ppg at 19.3 and his %s aren't too shabby (44.2% FG 36.8% 3PT 79.8% FT)

I really hope the Mavs can find a way to lose as many games as possible, get lucky & win the draft lottery and take Ayton. That's what I'm praying for.
Magnum_3_Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 02:01 PM   #5
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum_3_Ball View Post
Hello Dallas Mavs forum! This is my first post. I'm glad I found this thread. Since the Cowboys were unceremoniously bounced from the playoffs, I've been looking at the NBA draft since that's what the Mavs are playing for this season. Oooooh, I was so mad when we won those 4 games in a row; especially after we had just saddled ATL with a win. Smh lol

Anyways, some things I've read/heard about the 2018 draft prospects. I agree with Underdog. To me, Ayton is the clear #1 prospect on this board. He's the one player who appears to measure out a legit 7' feet. Both Bagley & Bamba I have seen listed anywhere from 6-9 to 7 feet, which lets you know they're probably both a lot closer to 6-9. Imo, Bamba is a clear drop off from the top tier talent in this draft. Bamba is the start of tier 2 for me.

I've heard it discussed on a couple of boards that Porter Jr likely won't even declare for the 2018 draft. The reason given is it's said to be very important to him to win a national championship in college & to win one for his home state of Missouri. I'm not sure how much validity you can give those reports, but I think it's definitely fair to question whether he declares or not.

Also, regarding Porter Jr, herniated discs are no joke. I had a herniated disc myself that required surgery 10 years ago. I haven't run or jump since. Basically due to doctor's recommendations. True, I'm not a professional athlete & if I were, I would most likely sacrifice some of my long term quality of life considerations for millions of dollars. Still, the point remains. Yes, you can do constant physical therapy & keep your core strong, but it's a chore, and your back will always be weakened. I think it's a major red flag. Knowing what I know about herniated discs, I doubt I would take Michael Porter Jr with a 1st round pick. He'd have to come back to college & prove it to me.

I've also read glowing reviews of Mikal Bridges across a half-dozen sites or so. Pretty much everyone has him as their dark horse/sleeper of the draft. Oh, and I heard one site list Sexton as a potential top 5 pick. He's near 20 ppg at 19.3 and his %s aren't too shabby (44.2% FG 36.8% 3PT 79.8% FT)

I really hope the Mavs can find a way to lose as many games as possible, get lucky & win the draft lottery and take Ayton. That's what I'm praying for.
Welcome to the board! Lots to unpack in your post...

1) Thanks for the info on Porter Jr, I hadn't heard the rumor that he might not declare. That would definitely change the top of the draft, no doubt... And was it a herniated disc? I'd heard that it might have just been a bulge, which means the disc hasn't actually ruptured and a full recovery is more likely. A herniation definitely changes my perspective on him.

2) Ayton is easily at the top of the heap, and I'd agree that Bamba is a cut below... I see Ayton, Bagley, Porter (if 100%) and Doncic as having franchise player potential, whereas I see Bamba as maxing out as an All-Star, at best. He just doesn't have the alpha mentality that the rest of them have.

3) Mikal Bridges is really starting to grow on me, and might even be in my second tier now. I could see him in a similar role as (even though he's a bit different than) Andre Igoudala in Golden State. He's a glue guy who can bring it on defense, help clean up the glass, and hit the open shot -- a guy who can play within himself and doesn't need the ball in his hands to impact the game. He'd be an excellent Wesley Matthews replacement and fit well with Dennis.

4) Not really sold on Sexton with DSJ here, but I'd love to see him enter the top-5 discussion -- especially if Porter doesn't declare. The more guards that push their way up, the better chances we have of getting a guy we need, even if we land outside the top-5.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 03:15 PM   #6
Magnum_3_Ball
Banned

Magnum_3_Ball has a spectacular aura aboutMagnum_3_Ball has a spectacular aura aboutMagnum_3_Ball has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Welcome to the board! Lots to unpack in your post...

1) Thanks for the info on Porter Jr, I hadn't heard the rumor that he might not declare. That would definitely change the top of the draft, no doubt... And was it a herniated disc? I'd heard that it might have just been a bulge, which means the disc hasn't actually ruptured and a full recovery is more likely. A herniation definitely changes my perspective on him.

2) Ayton is easily at the top of the heap, and I'd agree that Bamba is a cut below... I see Ayton, Bagley, Porter (if 100%) and Doncic as having franchise player potential, whereas I see Bamba as maxing out as an All-Star, at best. He just doesn't have the alpha mentality that the rest of them have.

3) Mikal Bridges is really starting to grow on me, and might even be in my second tier now. I could see him in a similar role as (even though he's a bit different than) Andre Igoudala in Golden State. He's a glue guy who can bring it on defense, help clean up the glass, and hit the open shot -- a guy who can play within himself and doesn't need the ball in his hands to impact the game. He'd be an excellent Wesley Matthews replacement and fit well with Dennis.

4) Not really sold on Sexton with DSJ here, but I'd love to see him enter the top-5 discussion -- especially if Porter doesn't declare. The more guards that push their way up, the better chances we have of getting a guy we need, even if we land outside the top-5.

Thank you. Always a pleasure to be around fellow MFFL'ers!

This article (https://www.sbnation.com/college-bas...eturn-timeline) indicates Porter Jr had a microdiscectomy, which means his disc ruptured, and they cut a portion of the disc out. I've seen other articles that say he had surgery, which to my knowledge they don't do surgery for bulging discs. Usually they prescribe traction or therapy if it's just a bulging disc.

It's odd that they say Porter Jr is likely to return this season in that article. I wouldn't think so, wouldn't think it would be very smart to rush him back. I like the example they give of Dwight Howard in the article. Can you still play after a microdiscectomy? Yes. Will you be the same player? No. That's my fear for Porter Jr.

Here's another link I found, and in the video one of the analyst talks about Porter Jr really wanting to win a championship for his school. http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...-hope-missouri

So, apparently, it's known that Porter Jr has/had a strong desire for a successful college career. I remember reading one poster say on another forum they don't think Porter Jr would of declared for the draft this year even if he had stayed healthy, unless Mizzou won the national championship.

I agree. I don't like Sexton as a fit for the Mavs with DSJ. Not sure how I feel about Trae Young, either. I mean, if we're picking say 7th and everyone else is already gone (Ayton, Bagley Jr, Doncic, Bamba, Mikal Bridges, let's say Porter Jr too) and Young is just sitting there. I guess, I'd have to consider him if I felt he was the BPA. I'm really hoping the Mavs can find a future all star at SF, PF, or C in this draft. I was just mentioning Sexton as someone who is moving up mock drafts, which I agree the more guards that can move into that top 5 discussion the better!
Old 01-22-2018, 04:46 PM   #7
MavzMan
Golden Member

MavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum_3_Ball View Post
So, apparently, it's known that Porter Jr has/had a strong desire for a successful college career. I remember reading one poster say on another forum they don't think Porter Jr would of declared for the draft this year even if he had stayed healthy, unless Mizzou won the national championship.
There is zero reason for him to stay in college another year. Unless teams do a physical on him and see something really bad, there is still no way he drops below 6 or 7. It is a crazy amount of risk on losing a guaranteed multi-million dollar contract. You love your school? Great! Make a donation and become a coach after you retire.
MavzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 05:06 PM   #8
Magnum_3_Ball
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavzMan View Post
There is zero reason for him to stay in college another year. Unless teams do a physical on him and see something really bad, there is still no way he drops below 6 or 7. It is a crazy amount of risk on losing a guaranteed multi-million dollar contract. You love your school? Great! Make a donation and become a coach after you retire.
I agree 100%. It's likely this is a sentiment Porter Jr expressed in high school, and once he talks to advisers that lay out the financial ramifications of staying in school, he'll almost certainly have a change of heart. That said, most prospects of his caliber come in with a one & done mindset. Apparently, Porter Jr does not have that mindset. I bet in his mind he thinks he'd come back, be the best player in college basketball, win a championship for Missouri, and go #1 overall in the 2019 draft. He may view being the drafted towards the bottom of the top 10 as unsatisfactory. Who knows?

I definitely think you have to leave the door open, at least partially, that Porter Jr might not declare for the 2018 draft.