Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 08-20-2004, 08:48 AM   #1
TripleDipping
Diamond Member

TripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud of
Default Yao tirade may cost NBA more Chinese players

FOXSports.com

Rockets center Yao Ming is being accused of disloyalty to China's Olympic team, according to a report in Toronto's Globe and Mail. And his actions have reportedly made China reconsider sending its players to the NBA.

Chinese officials reacted strongly to Yao's negative comments about his teammates Thursday, suggesting the NBA in the United States has corrupted their once "obedient child."

The report hinted China may "consider tighter restrictions" on Chinese players who want to play in the NBA, like heralded up-and-comer Yi Jianlian, the 16-year-old who is seen as the next Yao.

"The Chinese Basketball Association will consider more deeply and carefully about sending players to the NBA again," one report said.

Yao was "an obedient child" with a "very good reputation," an official was quoted as saying. "Now, he has changed, he's more like an American, he dares to say anything."

The 7-foot-6 center, who carried his nation's flag in the opening ceremonies, blasted his teammates after his team's 82-57 loss to Argentina on Thursday.

"I'm disappointed in my teammates," Yao said. "We gave up at the end of the game. I don't think some of my teammates cherish the honor to play for the country. ... Were they nervous? Or they would not take their responsibilities? We gave up easily every time we came across obstacles."

The comments sparked a harsh response from Chinese sports officials, who derided Yao for "splitting" the Chinese team with his "irresponsible" comments.

"How could he say that?" one official was quoted as saying. "How could he say that the other players weren't trying their best? Any irresponsible speech like his, any action to split the team, is definitely forbidden. This is the national team, this is the Olympics — any word by a player can affect others and can create difficulties in future matches."

Many Chinese fans came to Yao's defense, saying the star was only being honest. "Yao Ming is not always right, but in this case he is absolutely right," one fan wrote on a Chinese website. "The truth may hurt someone, but is it wrong to tell the truth?"

Against Argentina Yao was never a factor. China committed 15 turnovers and Yao was 1-for-7 from the field. Yao came into the game averaging 25.5 points and 10.5 rebounds. The center finished with 15 points on 6-for-13 shooting. China had a total of 23 turnovers and Argentina had a 40-29 rebound advantage.

China is one of four teams in Group A with a 1-2 record and it finishes against two of the others — Italy and reigning world champion Serbia-Montenegro. China must win at least one to advance to next week's quarterfinals, something it has done only once in seven previous Olympic appearances.

Link
TripleDipping is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-2004, 12:03 PM   #2
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all
Default RE:Yao tirade may cost NBA more Chinese players

If you're 7-5, you should be able to say anything. If China doesn't want to send players, then who cares? I think the US is very generous in helping out China and they want to create some sort of "player" embargo to the US? Ridiculous.

Yao was "an obedient child" with a "very good reputation," an official was quoted as saying. "Now, he has changed, he's more like an American, he dares to say anything."

Must be the dumbest thing I've read today
Old 08-20-2004, 02:42 PM   #3
StvNash13

StvNash13 is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Yao tirade may cost NBA more Chinese players

Typical communist bull$$$$. I feel really bad for the players, though, who have enough talent to play in America and can make a great living but can't because of the stupid government. Also, I won't blame Yao if he doesn't play for the CNT ever again. They really should treat him with more respect, he has no obligation to them whatsoever.
StvNash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 12:12 PM   #4
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Damn that freedom stuff is HARD to keep down ain't it. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 12:48 AM   #5
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts

Yao is such young to not know that it is not worth. Wang knew it too late.

One wonders if there is any pride behind any Chinese man or woman winning those medals in the Olympics.
Old 08-22-2004, 08:35 AM   #6
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

My take is that the Chinese are already negotiating release rights for the next one. Capitalism reigns.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 12:11 AM   #7
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

The chinese have different values we must respect. What Yao did we take for granted, but it's not something he should have said IMO. He knows how things run. But then again, what I think is happening here is they don't like the fact that their best player plays in the States. I think if some other player from the chinese squad said the same thing, nothing of this would have gone on.
Old 08-23-2004, 09:12 AM   #8
endtroducing
Golden Member

endtroducing is on a distinguished road

if yao were good enough, the Chinese wouldn't have let him get out of the country. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-23-2004, 12:16 PM   #9
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: bernardos70
The chinese have different values we must respect. What Yao did we take for granted, but it's not something he should have said IMO. He knows how things run. But then again, what I think is happening here is they don't like the fact that their best player plays in the States. I think if some other player from the chinese squad said the same thing, nothing of this would have gone on.
I guess those students in Tinamen(sp?) square were wrong to speak up as well?
Old 08-23-2004, 04:54 PM   #10
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

Alongwith his Big Mac, I guess, Yao's had one too many of those Freedom Fries [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 07:54 PM   #11
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by: LRBI guess those students in Tinamen(sp?) square were wrong to speak up as well?
I have no idea about the Tinamen Square students, care to explain LRB?