Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 06-28-2005, 05:17 PM   #1
vjz

vjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nice
Default Potential savings if Fin is waived

Not sure if it's already posted in a thread, but I thought this was interesting. Link to whole article here.

Mavs are expected to dump Finley
By Art Garcia
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

:
:

Assuming the Mavs remain above the luxury-tax threshold -- a safe assumption -- Finley's deal would cost the Mavs up to $103.6 million. Waiving Finley would save Mavs owner Mark Cuban up to $51.8 million in luxury-tax payments.

But that's only part of the savings for the next three years, because Finley's contract is substantially deferred. The Mavs would pay Finley approximately $5 million of next season's $15.9 million salary, with the remainder spread out over a number of years. It's a similar situation for the last two years of his deal, meaning the overall bottom-line savings for the next three seasons could fall in the $80 million range, a figure even the billionaire owner can't ignore.

:
:

If waived, Finley is free to sign with any team except the Mavs. The market for Finley, an effective locker-room presence with a career 19-point scoring average, is expected to be good. His new salary also could lead to even more savings for the Mavs. The new CBA contains a formula that could offset some of what the Mavs owe Finley, though the details have yet to be finalized.
vjz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-2005, 06:29 PM   #2
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all
Default RE: Potential savings if Fin is waived

So what another team pays him will be cut from what Cuban owes him? Finley will probably sign an mle contract if waived totaling about 15 mil over the next 3 years and that would equate to 30mil if the lux tax kicks in. That’s how Donnie got the $80 MIL figure.... interesting
#1MavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 07:18 PM   #3
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Or nothing if no luxury tax is implemented.

I still haven't seen this anywhere. Has there ever beena luxury tax? I cannot remember one.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 07:30 PM   #4
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Ninkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant future

It's becoming more and more likely that Fin-dawg will be gone. 80 mil is too much money even for our own beloved billionare to spend.
Old 06-28-2005, 07:40 PM   #5
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

No way can Fin stay now. Forget about the potential savings or not, the damage has been done. Surely it's not a happy atmosphere between the two parties with the newspapers all but writing Fin off and Donnie going around saying it's a very good possibility he won't be a Mav next year.
Old 06-28-2005, 08:11 PM   #6
GP

GP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to all

This is the dumbest bunch of crap I've ever heard. There won't be any savings at all. Just a loss of money. On one hand Cuban can keep Finley and pay him the 52 mil that he EARNS. This is not a loss. If the luxury tax kicks in all 3 years and the Mavs are over the cap for the same or more than Finely's salary then he will lose the 52 mil. If it doesn't kick in the the losses will be substantially less. Ranging from $0 to 52 mil. In any case what you are seeing is the culmination of bad contracts, stupid trades and an idiot with a lot of money.

Cuban has known about the luxury tax for years now. He certainly didn't have to make the Dampier trade. He didn't have to make the LaFrentz, Van Exel and Wahed deal. If he really wanted to save the money he could have and should have kept Walker and let his contract expire. The problem with the Mavs is not players like Finley it is having too many players like Eschmeyer, Wahed, Bradley, etc. who have outrageous contracts or are completely unproductive. Cuban has thrown his money around unwisely for years now and it has caught up to him.

I don't follow the logic that Garcia is using in his article. I think they are trying to justify a crappy move to the fan base through the media using fuzzy logic and questionable math. No way is the savings in the 80 mil range. Maybe 30 mil. Possibly 52 mil. But no more than that. Take deferred money out of the equation. That really doesn't matter at all. It is still money that will be lost for nothing. The fact is that Cuban is losing money if he pays Finley to play for someone else.

If Cuban releases Finley and pays him the 52 mil.

Cuban loses 52 mil.

If luxury tax kicks in all 3 years.

52 - 52 = net loss of zero. Great move.

Luxury tax kicks in 2 years.

52 - 35 (approximation) = 17 mil. loss for cutting Finley. NO gain.

Luxury tax kicks in for 1 year.

52 - 17 = 35 mil. loss for cutting Finley. Absolutely no gain here.

Luxury tax doesn't kick in.

52 - 0 = 52 mil. loss for Cuban.

In any way you look at it this is going to be a tremendous risk unless Cuban knows for sure the luxury tax will be in effect all 3 years.

To offset this everyone needs to realize that if the Mavs cut Finley then they absolutely cannot sign another player to replace him. Otherwise, they would be paying dollar for dollar tax on that player and they would have just cut Finley for nothing. No realized savings. No paper savings. Nothing.

The smart thing to do might be to cut Finley and then let some contracts like Van Horns to expire while buying out players like Bradley and Wahed. In that case they could get close to being under the cap (from a luxury tax standpoint) and then get more young players in the draft. Oops! They don't have any draft picks this year. What about next year? As long as they have a healthy Dirk then everything will be alright. I guess.
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 11:18 PM   #7
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all

Excellent post GP. From that POV Cuban isn't going to save a single penny... just lose a starter.
#1MavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 12:12 AM   #8
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Potential savings if Fin is waived

I agree with most of what you said, GP. Although, I certainly wouldn't go as far as to call Cuban an idiot.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 12:30 AM   #9
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

"Charlatan" will do just fine.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 08:15 AM   #10
GP

GP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to all

Chum, I know you think Cuban is going to cut payroll. However, I think he won't in the long run. I think he is one of those guys who maxes out his credit cards, gets them consolidated with one of those agency things and then goes out and gets a whole bunch more credit cards and maxes those out. I think once Finley is cut, he'll see some big name free agent and he won't be able to help himself. I can see him losing lots and lots of money because of this loophole. Has anyone checked the Forbes richest people list lately? Is he still on it? How long before he isn't? This guy reminds me of the main character in God Bless You Mr. Rosewater. He might actually be completely insane.
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 08:54 AM   #11
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
think once Finley is cut, he'll see some big name free agent and he won't be able to help himself. I can see him losing lots and lots of money because of this loophole.
All cubes can spend is the MLE on a FA, same as if we kept Fin. Cubes won't be able to spend more than the MLE on a FA until we're more than the MLE below the salary cap, and that won't be for years if then unless he does some more major slashing like letting Jet's and KVH's contracts expire and/or not resiging Dirk and Howard or such moves. There's no real sunny side to letting Fin go talent wise. We're losers talentwise if we do this. It's just Cuban being a cheapskate and not even a very smart cheapskate IMO.
Old 06-30-2005, 02:21 AM   #12
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Unless you do a sign and trade.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 03:06 AM   #13
The Miles

The Miles is on a distinguished road

There won't be any true savings. Either Dallas keeps Finley and adds no MLE level talent or Dallas releases Finley and can afford to add a MLE level talent and still break even in the balance. We can argue all day about Finley v MLE level big, but in the end the team has to decide if they want to go with Finley and the two rookies backing up Dampier or move Marquis up like they did last year with Josh and invest in a guy like Dan Gadzuric.

Pretty easy choice, I want the Mavs to win, it is about the name on the front of the jersey, not the back.

"When you (Coach Johnson) get behind your players like that it’s something special. He’s the general and we are soldiers, you go out there and want to lay it all on the line…that’s the type of situation I wanted to be in."-Doug Christie
The Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 03:08 AM   #14
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Looking at your sig, Devin Harris better realize how good he can be. If he improves drastically from his rookie sophmore year, we would be in for quite a treat.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote