Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 06-29-2005, 10:20 PM   #41
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Donnie on with Norm this morning...what the Mavs need

I"m not too worried about loyalty with regards to Fin. I question just how badly he wants to be a Mav. He had to be 'reminded' multiple times last year to basically put forth effort on the court. Hey, guys that want to be here bust their ass.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-2005, 10:57 PM   #42
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all
Default RE: Donnie on with Norm this morning...what the Mavs need

Quote:
I question just how badly he wants to be a Mav.
Enough to play through a really messed up ankle while taking a lot of undeserved blame from everyone... most people would have ended their season and had surgery right than and there. Seriously how can you question this? He's been a Mav for a long time and is probably the BIGGEST reason as to why we're a top tier team today. If playing through a potential season ending injury just to help your team win isn't busting your ass than what is?
#1MavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 11:56 PM   #43
Movie Phone

Movie Phone will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by: #1MavsFan
Quote:
Enough to play through a really messed up ankle while taking a lot of undeserved blame from everyone... most people would have ended their season and had surgery right than and there. Seriously how can you question this? He's been a Mav for a long time and is probably the BIGGEST reason as to why we're a top tier team today. If playing through a potential season ending injury just to help your team win isn't busting your ass than what is?
#1 mavs fan, you hit it on the nose right there. finley is always busting his ass for this team.
Old 06-30-2005, 12:59 AM   #44
thewillis12

thewillis12 is on a distinguished road

what about getting paid on how you play? fin hasnt been productive the past couple of years. i think mark has finally learned that money is limited to everyone so NOW he is starting to try and be more sensible with it rather than offering max contracts to everyone. however finley is a very very streaky player but i'd rather keep him than letting him walk off to the suns. if he goes there and phoenix wins a chamionship than the mavs will be the laughinstocks of the NBA for years to come.
thewillis12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 01:08 AM   #45
KennyDirk

KennyDirk is on a distinguished road

how does dallas become an attractive place for FA's to come when

A. you let the MVP walk because you thought he would break down.

B. you trade almost anyone and everyone that comes to your team.

C. Your owner is now becoming like donald sterling in that the most veteran person on this team who has been through it all, and wants to retire a mavs and win a championship with the mavs is going to be cut for savings and peanuts? Also we keep mentioning he went silent in the end of the playoffs what about in the beginning, if im not mistaken his timely shots to go along with JET's shooting helped us out of the Houston series, importantly his game won us game 3, and his support won games 4-5 and7. Also his shooting and 31 points did win us the game 2 against phx, even though dirk took the last shot, who kept us in the game? Finley...

so as much as i love being a mavs fan, by showing disloyalty to players like that if fin were to come back against us and was firing on all cylinders just like nash did, i would probably say we deserved it for what we're doing.

if fin goes and we by chance lose to the team hes on or he goes futher i bet you anything all you on the "Fin should go" bandwagon will be blasting cuban and say that stack and quis are the suck and that we should have never let fin go.

we will not draw any FA's this summer with or with out fin...we never usually do...
Old 06-30-2005, 01:17 AM   #46
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: KennyDirk

we will not draw any FA's this summer with or with out fin...we never usually do...
Don't be so sure about that. Several veteran players will probably be waived just like Fin. I wouldn't be surprised at all if we picked up one of those.
Thespiralgoeson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 01:35 AM   #47
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Good post Kenny.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 01:38 AM   #48
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, from a team's perspective, each move that we have made in the last few years have been for the better or for the hope to be better. But as a player in the NBA, and you've seen the Dallas organization trading away Tim Hardaway, Nick VE, Raef, Jamison, Walker, and others after a year, a year and a half, I'm sure you get discouraged about coming here when you feel like you won't be staying for long.

Contact Me
Old 06-30-2005, 06:59 AM   #49
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Movie Phone
Quote:
Quote:
#1 mavs fan, you hit it on the nose right there. finley is always busting his ass for this team.
He didn't bust his ass for the team at times last year. There were stretches during the season that if he wasn't scoring, he wasn't contributing anywhere else on the court simply because of lack of effort.
Old 06-30-2005, 07:51 AM   #50
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

[quote]
Originally posted by: Murphy3
Quote:
He didn't bust his ass for the team at times last year. There were stretches during the season that if he wasn't scoring, he wasn't contributing anywhere else on the court simply because of lack of effort.
everyone on the team was guilty of this last year at some point in time. by your logic, bradley wouldn't have wanted to be a mav. dampier didn't want to be a mav with the same logic. or maybe dirk didn't want to be a mav.
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 12:31 PM   #51
alby
Guru

But the "leader" of the team shouldn't be called out by his head coach about his lack of production.

Contact Me
Old 06-30-2005, 03:13 PM   #52
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally posted by: alby
But the "leader" of the team shouldn't be called out by his head coach about his lack of production.
His production was still the best among his position, and playing through a injury just for the good of the team shows quite a bit of leadership.

Quote:
Yes, from a team's perspective, each move that we have made in the last few years have been for the better or for the hope to be better.
I don't believe letting Nash go was "for the hope to be better" since Cuban did offer him a contract, seems like a money issue?

And cutting Fin, in no way or shape will make this team better, considering we just lost our starting sg for well... nothing.

Old 06-30-2005, 05:27 PM   #53
alby
Guru

Quote:
Quote:
His production was still the best among his position, and playing through a injury just for the good of the team shows quite a bit of leadership.

Quote:
Yes, from a team's perspective, each move that we have made in the last few years have been for the better or for the hope to be better.
I don't believe letting Nash go was "for the hope to be better" since Cuban did offer him a contract, seems like a money issue?

And cutting Fin, in no way or shape will make this team better, considering we just lost our starting sg for well... nothing.
Still, there's no way a leader should be called out by his coach, after that one rebound game he had.

one

Contact Me
Old 06-30-2005, 08:59 PM   #54
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Still, there's no way a leader should be called out by his coach, after that one rebound game he had.

one
I don't think he was called out because of a lack of production. To give some kind of effort and fail to contribute is more acceptable than to go multiple games without busting your butt on the court. Finley was guilty of not giving much of anything over multiple games on multiple occasions last year. That is why I questioned his desire to remain a Mav. It's time to stop pissing and moaning about what Fin wants and how he'd feel about this or that. Either he is going to accept a reduced role as a7th, 8th or 9th man or he needs to be shipped out of here. Mike Finley appeared to be a man that pouted with his reduced shot attempts and reduced role. If the production was there, his role wouldn't have been reduced. The Mavs have better options that can actually contribute on both sides of the court.

Old 06-30-2005, 09:33 PM   #55
alby
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: Murphy3
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

one
I don't think he was called out because of a lack of production. To give some kind of effort and fail to contribute is more acceptable than to go multiple games without busting your butt on the court. Finley was guilty of not giving much of anything over multiple games on multiple occasions last year. That is why I questioned his desire to remain a Mav. It's time to stop pissing and moaning about what Fin wants and how he'd feel about this or that. Either he is going to accept a reduced role as a7th, 8th or 9th man or he needs to be shipped out of here. Mike Finley appeared to be a man that pouted with his reduced shot attempts and reduced role. If the production was there, his role wouldn't have been reduced. The Mavs have better options that can actually contribute on both sides of the court.
Thank you.

Contact Me
Old 06-30-2005, 11:22 PM   #56
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

Both sides of the court? Wasn't Fin one of the better Mavs defenders in the playoffs? Avery and Co seem to think so. In his comments on fox he recently said something like "People want me to take a lesser role and I did that last year but than they start bashing me for not doing enough." He gave up his shots but than people complained he didn't score 20 a game. However he did struggle last year, but most of it was most likely related to the injury since the areas people are repeatedly criticizing him on were his shooting which is still MUCH better than our other 2sg's by far, his rebounding and defense.

It’s much harder to pull in a board when you can't get up as high thanks to a nagging ankle injury. And there’s so many ways your defense can be affected by a ankle injury. Yeah he never was considered a great defender throughout his career but he's not that far off from Marquis, as some people seem to think.

So in theory he should backup a player(s) who can't shoot better than him, are more turnover prone, and clog up our offense a lot of the time.
Old 07-01-2005, 02:09 AM   #57
alby
Guru

Defense. In all honesty, we can't really put blame on one person (Finley), defense is more about the system, more about the entire unit on the floor. With that being said, Finley's one on one defense is horrid, his footspeed has decreased so much through the years that his lateral movement may be the worse out of the perimeter players on the team. Sure, you can blame it on injuries, but the older you get, the more injuries you tend to have. Finley is aging, he will continue to have injuries. On another note, everyone, by playoff time are mostly going to have a few injuries of their own, so I don't think Finley should use that as an excuse. Wade broke his ribs in game 5 and still came back in game 7 attacking the rim. His youth and stupidity can be the cause of this but also because he is young and healthy and his body heals much quicker than a old veteran, especially Mike Finley who has played an astronomical amount of minutes in his career. He is wearing down guys.

Contact Me
Old 07-01-2005, 02:19 AM   #58
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

So your basically saying since Fin gets hurt one or two times in his career he's now injury prone? Dirk's probably had just as much injury’s so far in his career does that make him a risk?

Quote:
On another note, everyone, by playoff time are mostly going to have a few injuries of their own, so I don't think Finley should use that as an excuse.
Yeah bumps and bruises but not something that needed surgery.... 4 months ago. Also wasn't Finley a big reason as to why we beat Houston in round1? Plain and simple we wouldn't have won the series without him. That kind of ruins your theory that we'd have done just as well without Fin.

Quote:
Finley is aging, he will continue to have injuries.
For gods sake he's 32 not 42.
Old 07-01-2005, 02:24 AM   #59
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with you MavsFan. Finley may be past his prime, but some people talk like he's crippled. He is and can continue to be a valuble part of this team.
Old 07-01-2005, 02:31 AM   #60
alby
Guru

If you honest feel that Finley is the reason we advanced past Houston.

What about Jason Terry?
What about Josh Howard?
What about Jerry Stackhouse?
What about Dirk?
What about Damp?
What about Henderson?
What about Devin Harris?
What about Van Horn?

Last time i checked, the mavericks beat the rockets, not Finley

Contact Me
Old 07-01-2005, 02:32 AM   #61
alby
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: Thespiralgoeson
I'm with you MavsFan. Finley may be past his prime, but some people talk like he's crippled. He is and can continue to be a valuble part of this team.
No, he is not crippled. But he's still not going to give you anything other than long range jumpers.

Contact Me
Old 07-01-2005, 02:33 AM   #62
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

True, but the Mavericks wouldn't have beaten Houston without Finley.
Old 07-01-2005, 02:34 AM   #63
alby
Guru

The best play Mike Finley made in the Houston series occured I think in game 2, he actually decided to perform a baseline cut and he jumped up for the offensive rebound, although he missed the followup dunk, it was probably the play of his year.

Contact Me
Old 07-01-2005, 02:37 AM   #64
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

Ok lets see if we would have won with Stack at sg instead of Fin in game 3.
Stack had 18 points on 33% shooting. While Fin had 20 points on 60% shooting including 4 of 6 from 3's.

What about game 4?
Stack shot 30% and scored 10 points. While Fin had 18 points and was 8 of 13 from the field.
Old 07-01-2005, 02:43 AM   #65
alby
Guru

Like i said earlier, I thought the mavericks, as a team advanced past Houston, not Finley.

Contact Me
Old 07-01-2005, 02:44 AM   #66
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Finley's averages for the Houston series

13.1PPG, 4.3RPG, 2.3APG, 1TOPG, 49% FG, 41.7% 3pt

EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote