Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 06-30-2005, 01:29 PM   #41
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Waiving Finley....addition by subtraction

dirno, I'm getting those from 82games. It's not posession sensitive or anything, so it's not infallible, but to answer your question specifically, when Fin is on the floor with either Stack or Quis he's considered the SF. When he's on the floor with Josh he's the SG.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-2005, 01:31 PM   #42
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

It would be nice to have Ratliff/Blount/Nestervic as a back up to Damp. I really home at least one of those three becomes avaible. Preferably Ratliff or Blount. Both the types of athletic big men we're looking for.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 08:52 PM   #43
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Waiving Finley....addition by subtraction

Neither pass the ball enough. That's not even worth discussing. It's like arguing about "Who was the better contact hitter...? Rob Deer or Dave Kingman."

Both Fin and Stack have the tendancy to get the ball and never look to anyone else on the court. It's just that Stack would get the ball more often while in the game because Finley is/was totally incapable of creating anything off the dribble.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 09:00 PM   #44
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed murphy, it's ridiculous to compare assists between the two.

However I don't really agree that finley gets the ball and has a tendency to never look to anyone else on the court, imo he was very good at moving it around,much more so than stack. In fact he was too passive imo. Stack usually gets it and it really doesn't get moved that much.

Stacks aggressiveness is his strength, his horrid shooting percentages is his weakness. I thought Mike played quite well within a team construct and is not nearly the "black hole" that stack is, which is what the debate has been about.

"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 09:38 PM   #45
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Finley has to get rid of the ball, after his one dribble move and he's not free for a shot, he has already lost his dribble and thus, would need to kick it back out. Whereas, Stackhouse takes more than the one power dribble to the left for a weak fadeaway, he actually plays basketball and attacks the basket, and I love how he can post smaller players up, Barabosa lost almost all of his playing time because he couldn't matchup with Stack defensively. As a defender, you would rather see Michael Finley across you.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 11:30 PM   #46
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally posted by: alby
Finley has to get rid of the ball, after his one dribble move and he's not free for a shot, he has already lost his dribble and thus, would need to kick it back out. Whereas, Stackhouse takes more than the one power dribble to the left for a weak fadeaway, he actually plays basketball and attacks the basket, and I love how he can post smaller players up, Barabosa lost almost all of his playing time because he couldn't matchup with Stack defensively. As a defender, you would rather see Michael Finley across you.
Yet all in all Stack shot much worse than Fin, even though Stack could attack the basket and raise his shooting % from layups and dunks and Finley couldn't....BUT it didn't matter one bit since the player who only has a "one dribble move" and a "weak fadeaway" had a much higher shooting % in the end. As a defender who would you rather see shooting the ball? Exactly.

edit: BTW Barabosa only averaged less than 5 minutes against us than in the regular season. And that was mostly because starters usuaully up their minutes in the playoffs.
#1MavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 02:26 AM   #47
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

I would choose to guard Finley over Stackhouse any day of the week, especially knowing I would never be shown any ball fakes or drives or anything that may result in me committing a foul.

Contact Me
Old 07-01-2005, 02:31 AM   #48
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all

First of all this isn't a 1 on 1 competition its 5 on 5 meaning a team sport. While Stack continues to jack up shots at a lousy %, Finley will pass it every once in a while. But even if he doesn't, more of his shots still drop anyways. You can continue to talk about how Stack can drive, do that, and this but the bottom line is you just need to score doesn't matter how you do it. And Finley gives you a much higher % to score than Stack does.
Old 07-01-2005, 02:41 AM   #49
alby
Guru

Is that why Stackhouse was playing during the most crucial times in the 4th quarter during the playoffs and not Finley?

Contact Me
Old 07-01-2005, 02:44 AM   #50
echo

echo is on a distinguished road

Finley and Stack are very different players, but have been remarkably similar as far as production goes. I just think Stackhouse is more of an AJ player and Finley more of a Nellie player. Stackhouse puts more pressure on a defense due to his ability to drive. Although his FG % is less, he gets to the line more. Since he's a pretty good free throw shooter that pretty much negates the difference there. Plus your much more likely to get offensive rebounds (and putbacks) driving to the hole as the defense has to react, taking them out of position. If Nash was still here I think Finley would be a better fit. With Nash gone I think Stack fits better.
echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 02:44 AM   #51
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

Is that why Fin still played more minutes under Avery? But somehow Stack seemed to jack up more shots and hit less... not a blackhole?
Old 07-01-2005, 02:50 AM   #52
alby
Guru

Fin played more minutes because he wouldn't accept a lesser role. I thought leaders are the ones that sacrifice personal glory for the good of the team? Stackhouse, obviously the better fit under Avery Johnson's system accepting coming off the bench and playing less minutes than an inferior player.

Contact Me
Old 07-01-2005, 02:53 AM   #53
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

I'm pretty sure Avery would have played Fin less minutes if he wanted to, but the thing is Fin was hitting his shots while Stack and Quis weren't.
Old 07-01-2005, 02:57 AM   #54
alby
Guru

Down the stretch, during the 4th quarter, AJ had stack in the game, not Finley. That right there should be enough to tell us that he is moving away from Finley / Nellie / Nash's system.

Contact Me
Old 07-01-2005, 03:07 AM   #55
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

Which game are you exactly referring to since Fin played most of the time in the 4th q. Oh by the way, remember Stack racing up to shoot that 3 in game 6 instead of calling a t/o... like I said once it's in his hands it stays there.