Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-02-2005, 06:58 PM   #1
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold
Default AAC Ranks 27th out of 30 NBA Arenas in "Fan Friendliness"

This may be old news, but I don't know if this board ever had a discussion about how Cuban and Ussery have turned a brand new state of the art arena into one of the worst places in the league to watch a basketball game.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baske...as-cover_x.htm

VENUE RANKINGS
Rank, team

Rank, team Fan-friendly score (scale of 1 to 6, score of 6 being the best)
1. Denver 4.16
2T. Indiana 4.14
2T. Philadelphia 4.14
4. Phoenix 4.11
5. Detroit 4.05
6. New Orleans 3.98
7. Atlanta 3.9
8. Sacramento 3.79
9. Miami 3.77
10T. Cleveland 3.72
10T. Golden State 3.72
12. Houston 3.67
13T. Charlotte 3.65
13T. Seattle 3.65
15T. San Antonio 3.62
15T. Portland 3.62
17. L.A. Lakers 3.57
18. L.A. Clippers 3.54
19. Minnesota 3.51
20. Utah 3.46
21. Memphis 3.42
22. Chicago 3.37
23. Orlando 3.33
24T. Milwaukee 3.28
24T. New York 3.28
24T. Toronto 3.28
27. Dallas 3.24
28. Boston 3.11
29. Washington 2.94
30. New Jersey 2.82

madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-2005, 07:06 PM   #2
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:AAC Ranks 27th out of 30 NBA Arenas in "Fan Friendliness"

What is this based on? How did they come to this conclusion?
Thespiralgoeson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 07:18 PM   #3
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

What criteria are the rankings based upon? The article explicitly lists them, as I quote here:

Quote:
USA TODAY ranked each franchise in five categories, with 40% weight given to the seat and 15% each to parking, entertainment, fan involvement and concessions. Criteria in each category were rated on a scale of 6 to 1. The scale: 6 wow, 5 superior, 4 above average, 3 average, 2 below average, 1 inferior. The criteria, within each category:

Seat: Cost, location and value; comfort (legroom, cushions, cup holders).
Fan involvement: Basketball enthusiasm and IQ.
Entertainment: Originality and entertainment value of timeout skits, dance team, mascot, scoreboard.
Concessions: Concession stands' availability, service and TV screens; concourse atmosphere; hot dog and soda costs; restroom availability, cleanliness and wait time; program cost and information; cost of authentic NBA jersey and cap; ticket line and speed; demeanor of security personnel.
Parking: Cost, safety, time in and out, distance.
Old 07-02-2005, 08:18 PM   #4
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

It's the worst that I've ever been to.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 09:12 PM   #5
dirk2003

dirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to all
Default RE: AAC Ranks 27th out of 30 NBA Arenas in "Fan Friendliness"

It's the best I've ever been to.
Old 07-02-2005, 09:18 PM   #6
HexNBA
Golden Member

HexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to all

I certainly have no nba arenas to compare it to, but the two times (dont live in the area) I have been to the AAC have been great. friendly staff, short waits at concessions (even during a suns playoff game), and a great atmosphere. i dont care much for the "entertainment", the dancers are pretty hot though.
Old 07-02-2005, 09:22 PM   #7
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

The food is overpriced. There aren't that many good seats. The in game presentation is absolutely horrible. Humble Billy Hayes sucks @ss.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 09:29 PM   #8
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Well I went to the arean and heard kevin mccarthy. Now that was a suck job. Horrible, I thought he was an undertaker. Humble is okay in my book.

"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 09:31 PM   #9
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Damn we are down there with some of the worst franchises in the league.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 11:00 PM   #10
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Say what you want about the AAC, the fact remains that it has more restrooms per capita than any other arena in the league. That's a fact. You can look it up.

Proving--once again, I might add--that if you want to take a shit in the NBA, the AAC is the place to do it.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 11:18 PM   #11
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

I think Chris Arnold knocked us down 5 places all by himself.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 01:11 AM   #12
4cwebb
Golden Member

4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally posted by: FINtastic
I think Chris Arnold knocked us down 5 places all by himself.
Now that's comedy.

Otherwise, I'm confused by this ranking --- the Kings' are looking for a new arena because Arco is apparently terrible for the fans from a concession stands/concourses/restrooms point of view.

And, factoring in the fan base is pretty lame.

4cwebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 01:20 AM   #13
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Chris Arnold and the guy who has to sing AC/DC everytime. My brother actually saw him at a bar and made fun of him. He was pissed. Classic.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 01:34 AM   #14
JLEEHASMUCHGAME

JLEEHASMUCHGAME will become famous soon enoughJLEEHASMUCHGAME will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by: chumdawg
Say what you want about the AAC, the fact remains that it has more restrooms per capita than any other arena in the league. That's a fact. You can look it up.

Proving--once again, I might add--that if you want to take a shit in the NBA, the AAC is the place to do it.

I had to laugh at this one.

The best time I've ever had at an NBA game was at the old Reunion Arena. My first game ever. I got free tickets in the upperdeck to watch Finley's Mavs barely lose to Iverson's Sixers. But it's likely I enjoyed that game the most just cause it was my first time. The only other arenas I've been to were the Fleet Center -- I think it may have a new name out in Boston -- and the AAC. So I guess I don't have much experience in the "fan friendliest" of environments, but I can at least agree that the Celtics' homecourt is no better than the Mavs'.
JLEEHASMUCHGAME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 11:27 AM   #15
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

I think I've only been the staples center (but plan to check out a spurs game this year against mavs). Staples was a generic so what?? Did have a lot of hotties and starlets there however.

Oh yeah, and Dennis Rodman (he was worth the price of admission).
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote