Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 06-26-2003, 10:28 PM   #1
DNNF
Golden Member

DNNF will become famous soon enoughDNNF will become famous soon enough
Default Grade our draft !!

Please grade our draft, and a comment.

I personally give this a A-. Josh Howard is an excellent pick in my opinion that would fill the need of Griff position, which i think he will be gone. The trade of our second pick is a really smart move. End of second rounders and free agents draftees are pretty much the same thing. We can get a high second rounder from denver next year, thanks to Kiki.

DNNF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2003, 10:31 PM   #2
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light

I give A+. I really like this pick. Specially from the defensive standpoint. His offensive skills are not too bad and he should pick them up over a period of time. He is athletic. His steal #s are good. We need all those. I am sure the inside presense will be addressed in the FA after July 1st.
Old 06-26-2003, 10:33 PM   #3
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

I give the draft an F.

We drafted a guy who is a dime a dozen type - will he be as good as Jim Jackson was in Sacremento? Guys like this are found every year for the vet mininum.

The 2nd rounder is HOUSTON'S not Denver's. And we have to give our second rounder to Miami so we upgraded maybe 10 picks or so? Not an impressive start to the offseason.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 10:34 PM   #4
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all
Default RE: Grade our draft !!

A we needed to add a SF and PF or C

we get the kind of player that is perfect for SF, and we don't have to spend $ on him in FA
Old 06-26-2003, 10:36 PM   #5
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

I am not as harsh as MFFL. I believe that Howard is something that we definitely need. Will he ever be a superstar? I doubt it. But he can definitely be a very good role player/starter for us. And he does **everything** that we have been complaining about our other small forwards.

I give it a B-.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 10:40 PM   #6
Mavs_Rule2003

Mavs_Rule2003 is on a distinguished road

AS long as he can defends like Griff and score 10 points and grab 6 rebounds i think it is preety good steal at 29th.

And i saw CUban saying our second rounder goes to KIKI. dont know about houston. may be they changed it?
Mavs_Rule2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 10:41 PM   #7
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

some of you make me groan.

what were our needs this off season?
1. get an athletic swingman who can defend at the 3
2. get big bangers

howard definately fills the 3 spot for the mavs. nobody else we draft would have made even a remote contribution this year. lampe would probably be stuck in europe for 2 years before he could come over here. and he isnt a 3 or a big banger. so whats the problem? and while its nice to cultivate talent over a period of time, by the time some of the young euros would be ready, they would probably be up for new contracts and the mavs could make a play for them then.

you want another dirk? they said that about niko, about gasol, about lampe this year. the only thing they've done and turned out to be has given me a serious case of gas. howard can defend, grab rebounds, get steals, and get an occassional block. he is a good mid range shooter who doesnt have NBA 3 pt range yet. he is better than griff now, better than walt now, better than probably raja who keep in mind, we would have to resign if we could. which isn't guaranteed.

trust in donnie...

i give the draft a solid B.
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 10:42 PM   #8
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light

I have a question now.

What happens to Mladen?
Old 06-26-2003, 10:45 PM   #9
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

AE... exactly.
Old 06-26-2003, 10:48 PM   #10
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

I give this draft a B+.

They addressed a need with their LATE 1st round pick. A sf that can defend, rebound, and score. He's not undersized, imo. I think it was Aexchange that said he's not a flashy pick, but a solid choice for one of the Mavs needs.

Again, I think too many people are selling him short.

And they did another surprise little move by sending their LATE 2nd round pick to Denver. They'll get Houston's pick next year and while it might only be 10 spots higher, it's a better position to select a raw project for down the line.

I think the Mavs know they have a better chance at landing a big man that can help us this year and maybe next year through free agency instead of late first round pick.
Old 06-26-2003, 10:51 PM   #11
foglemann
Golden Member

foglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to behold

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF, no doubt.
foglemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 10:53 PM   #12
DIRK BRASIL

DIRK BRASIL is on a distinguished road

Good draft for the Mavs.
Howard is a good player.
Cuban was very smart with our second round.
Other Wang???
Old 06-26-2003, 10:56 PM   #13
DNNF
Golden Member

DNNF will become famous soon enoughDNNF will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by: foglemann
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF, no doubt.
Good reasoning !! Your basketball knowledge is great !!!

DNNF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 10:58 PM   #14
MikeB
Golden Member

MikeB has a spectacular aura aboutMikeB has a spectacular aura about

A very solid pick by the Mavs. Howard can and will do the same kind of things for us that Shane Battier does and I have heard all the cooing for getting him.

Grade: Solid B+
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 10:59 PM   #15
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice

It's VERY hard to judge this, or any, draft without the surrounding context. We still have moves to make to shore up our inside. So I would prefer to grade the whole off-season.

Having said that, Howard was predicted at #24 to the Lakers so, in conventional wisdom, we did well.

I've been screaming about the 3 for a while, but would prefer a vet there.

If he starts or gets 20 mpg, I'll be surprised. But he seems solid and that's a lot more than I can say for the last 4 years.

So, for now, I give it a conditional B.

Old 06-26-2003, 11:05 PM   #16
Mavs_Rule2003

B+
Old 06-26-2003, 11:05 PM   #17
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

A-. An unspectacular pick, but a solid one. Addresses a need. The more I read about Howard, the more I like him. If his main weakness really is 3-pt shooting, it won't matter. We don't need another long-range shooter. We pick up the higher pick next year, I don't really see what we were going to do with such a late pick anyway. We will fill the majority of the holes in FA.
Old 06-26-2003, 11:06 PM   #18
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally posted by: ames7
A-. An unspectacular pick, but a solid one. Addresses a need. The more I read about Howard, the more I like him. If his main weakness really is 3-pt shooting, it won't matter. We don't need another long-range shooter. We pick up the higher pick next year, I don't really see what we were going to do with such a late pick anyway. We will fill the majority of the holes in FA.
man, asians ...

we're so smart. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-26-2003, 11:06 PM   #19
Chicago JK

Chicago JK will become famous soon enough

I really wanted Ebi or Perkins, but Howard was one of the seniors I liked. I am not sure how much of an impact he will make next year, but I am quite sure that he is better than Raja/Griff/TAW right now. He should be a really nice rotation player and on a team like the Mavs could be a nice 5th starter at the small forward position.

One more thing, I find it quite comical reading everyone who is completely bashing Howard about being a "dime a dozen" player. I am sorry, but that is a joke. All you had to do is watch Wake a few times this year. Howard was fantastic this year for Wake and not just with scoring and rebounding. He has a very nice all around game. Not a flashy player, but a guy who can play in this league.

Wished for Ebi, but Howard is a very nice consolation prize.
Chicago JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 11:11 PM   #20
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

It´s been dicussed at lenght in the other thread allready. I don´t really care for Howard. He might be a solid pick. But I wanted us to move up, to make a trade. Therefore I give it a D+.
Fidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 11:12 PM   #21
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I wanted us to get Carmelo and LeBron. So I'll give us an F-.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 11:16 PM   #22
foglemann
Golden Member

foglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to behold

DNNF, it is an F. If you want to be dissapointed in Howard next year because you think that Nellie will play him and that you think he can actually contribute, then that's fine by me, but this draft was a F in my book. I don't think you want to go toe to toe in basketball knowledge with me, it would be sad. That is my opinion, don't get angry, its just a message board.
foglemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 11:17 PM   #23
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: Rhylan
What´s wrong with wanting us to move up? The pick itself might be ok but it´s not what I had hoped we would do.
Fidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 11:21 PM   #24
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

Quote:
i wanted the mavs to draft rhylan. so i give them a big F----------
Old 06-26-2003, 11:24 PM   #25
Stressboy

Stressboy is a jewel in the roughStressboy is a jewel in the roughStressboy is a jewel in the rough

After Perkins and Ebi went above them, I was glad they went with Howard over Biadiene, Pichucia(sp), or the Greek kid since I trust our scouts to know if the foriegn players are all that. It would have been nice to seem them trade up in the second to pick one of these project big men, but with the moves that will be made in FA, I don't think they have a lot of room up front.

Howard replaces one of the glue guys and since he was ACC player of the year, he might have a little bit more to him. The other great thing is that the Spurs chose to clear cap rather than take a pick this year. I think if Perkins had been there at 28, they would have taken him, but luckily Ainge saved us there.

Sorry for the rant, but I give it a B+ for getting a guy that can help now. Ebi or Perkins would have pushed it to an A for me on potential. Any pick from the rest of them would have been a C because the potential was much less certain. If they picked a player that was stashed overseas then a D. I don't think you can get an F unless you go out of your mind and pick a guy at 20 who should have gone at 35.

Listening to Cubans press conference, I hope Hollis Price comes in and I really hope Powell gets on our summer league, but he would be better off going to a different team. Chris Marcus would be nice, but there are better fits for him I think, but Cuban might make it worth his while.

Stressboy
Stressboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 11:26 PM   #26
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

Its the 29th pick ebdu and perkins weren't their so I am on board. Picks are tough to judge with so much of the draft based on potential. Howard definitely fills a need he is the acc player of the year, and is a good perimeter defender. I

This team has a gaping hole in the middle but thats it. Dirk will no doubt improve his defense, post game and his passing. The mavs will no doubt bandaid their center need with zo or even the underrated Rasho Nesterovic.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 11:58 PM   #27
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

I'm just disappointed that we made no attempts to address our most glaring weakness. Howard could very well turn in to a good rotational player, but he does nothing to slow down Timmy D, CWebb, KG, and the likes...

I would give this drat an A had we grabbed an additional second round pick and took a guy like Beasley or Lang. I think that would signify SOME interest in developing some youth post presence. However, we upgraded a position (SG - unless we're to believe that a guy who was measured at 6'5" can guard Peja & Marion types and play SF) that we were already good at.

For the intelligence of the pick, I'd give it a C.
For the player, I'll give it an A.
If we were a seviceable SG short of a championship, I'd give it an A+.

It just turns out that we're a serviceable BIG MAN short of the championship, so for that I'll HAVE to give this draft a C.
Old 06-27-2003, 12:05 AM   #28
Bayliss

Ocelot. He is actually 6'6". And has a wingspan of 7'2". I think he could guard some small forwards very well.

Old 06-27-2003, 12:07 AM   #29
Mandyahl
Diamond Member

Mandyahl will become famous soon enoughMandyahl will become famous soon enough

the draft was solid. we didn't do anything spectacular, but it doesn't look like we did anything stupid either (of course, only time will tell on that). i give it a b.
Old 06-27-2003, 12:17 AM   #30
Hitman
Golden Member

Hitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to all

It is very hard to judge a draft the day after, but everybody does. If you graded the Mavs in 98 you may give them a C but we all know how that turned out.

Personally, I would have liked to see them take Lampe. He was a projected lottery pick and no rookie at #29 is helping us in the quest for a chamionship, so why not draft for lottery upside and take Maciej? Who better for him to learn from than his idol Dirk?

Put Your Brand On Everyone's Lips: http://www.java-ads.com
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 12:37 AM   #31
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally posted by: Bayliss
Ocelot. He is actually 6'6". And has a wingspan of 7'2". I think he could guard some small forwards very well.
He was measure 6'5 &1/4" at the Chicago Pre-Draft Camp...here's the link:

Shorty
Old 06-27-2003, 12:41 AM   #32
hero = dirk

hero = dirk is on a distinguished road

i'd say B+ or A-. at least he can make a contribution immediately, hopefully. unlike mladen. i don't know... i just hope it goes well for josh here in dallas. he seems to fit well.

Muhahahaha...
hero = dirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 12:44 AM   #33
Tony tha Mavs fan

Tony tha Mavs fan is on a distinguished road

6'6 and 1/2 with shoes. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] i haven't seen many players play barefoot
Old 06-27-2003, 12:45 AM   #34
Mandyahl
Diamond Member

just curious, when they list a player's height, do they do that with or without shoes?
Old 06-27-2003, 12:47 AM   #35
Mavs_Rule2003

Quote:
Originally posted by: Fidel
Quote:
What´s wrong with wanting us to move up? The pick itself might be ok but it´s not what I had hoped we would do.
IF we were to move up then we would have to lost FIn to bull or may be nash to raptor.

However, It is always better decision to stick with proven players than new unproven ones when you are quest for a championship.

I again review it and give it an A.

Old 06-27-2003, 12:49 AM   #36
Tony tha Mavs fan

Tony tha Mavs fan is on a distinguished road

I give the draft an A . Getting Josh Howard fills one of the Mavs weaknesses , an athletic SG/SF who can play defense, and score points. If the Mavs can pick up that kind of player in the draft , it's a huge plus. Now the Mavs can focus on getting their big man in the offseason. Some league officials have said that he has the potential to be another Paul Pierce, so i'm really looking forward to what he can bring the Mavs.
Old 06-27-2003, 12:53 AM   #37
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Tony tha Mavs fan
6'6 and 1/2 with shoes. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] i haven't seen many players play barefoot
LOL.

Images of "The Air Up There"
Old 06-27-2003, 12:54 AM   #38
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

Quote:
I give the draft an A . Getting Josh Howard fills one of the Mavs weaknesses , an athletic SG/SF who can play defense, and score points. If the Mavs can pick up that kind of player in the draft , it's a huge plus. Now the Mavs can focus on getting their big man in the offseason. Some league officials have said that he has the potential to be another Paul Pierce, so i'm really looking forward to what he can bring the Mavs.
Why would a guy with the potential of Pierce fall all the way to 29th when a guy with the potential of Finley is taken 11th?
Old 06-27-2003, 12:58 AM   #39
Mandyahl
Diamond Member

you don't think finley is that much better than pierce? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-27-2003, 01:16 AM   #40
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

Quote:
Originally posted by: ocelot_ark
Quote:
Why would a guy with the potential of Pierce fall all the way to 29th when a guy with the potential of Finley is taken 11th?
finley was taken 21st in his draft.

its not an exact science ya know. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]