Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 08-03-2006, 03:15 AM   #1
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dale Davis takes a swing at a cop and gets tasered

Reserve center, 37, is in an altercation with police at a hotel and is charged with four misdemeanors.
http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_ar...n_miami_beach/

Joanne C. Gerstner / The Detroit News

Pistons reserve center Dale Davis was arrested early Tuesday morning in Miami Beach, Fla., after an altercation with police that ended with a Taser shot.

Davis has been charged with four misdemeanors: disorderly conduct, resisting arrest without violence, assault and assault of a law enforcement officer.

Each count carries a maximum of six months in jail and a $500 fine.

According to the police report, Davis, 37, threatened officers and had to be subdued by a Taser to be arrested. The Taser burst left small puncture marks on his chest and abdomen, according to police.

Davis' agent, Chubby Wells, said they are looking into their legal options against the Miami Beach police department.

"We're talking to attorneys right now," Wells said Wednesday.

"It's Dale's name on the line, and all I can say is that things did not go down the way they say it did."

The Pistons also are aware of the arrest.

"We are not going to comment publicly on this until we get all the information," Pistons representative Kevin Grigg said.

According to the police report, Davis allegedly caused a disturbance and assaulted someone at the South Beach Marriott.

Hotel security called police, and the officers confronted Davis in the lobby.

The police report did not say Davis was intoxicated or otherwise impaired.

Davis allegedly refused police orders to produce identification. A friend who was with Davis calmed him and got him to produce the ID.

Miami Beach police representative Bobby Hernandez said the incident could have ended there, without the arrest, if Davis had been cooperative.

"Once you threaten police, it's over," Hernandez said Wednesday night. "You can't go there."

The police and Davis proceeded outside, where Davis allegedly began to shout a profanity and accuse the police of targeting him because of his race. Things escalated when Davis allegedly put his hands in his pockets, a move police saw as a threat. They demanded he show his hands.

Davis responded: "I don't have a gun! Are you going to shoot me?"

He eventually removed his hands but then balled up his fists, as if ready for a fight, and walked threateningly toward officers, according to the report.

Davis was ordered to stop, or the police would use the Taser -- a device that shoots two probes, up to 30 feet, to deliver an electrical charge. The quick burst of electricity temporarily immobilizes the victim.

Davis ignored repeated orders to stop moving toward officers with his fists clinched, the report said. The police shot Davis with the Taser. He fell and was subdued for the arrest. Police said he was cooperative in custody.

Davis now will be subpoenaed for arraignment.

Hernandez said it is common for these types of cases to end in a pretrial diversion agreement, allowing a person to perform anger management or community service.

If Davis takes a diversion agreement, the charges will not appear on his record.

Davis isn't the only athlete recently arrested in Miami Beach.

Guard Gilbert Arenas and forward Awvee Storey of the Washington Wizards and former Ohio State receiver Santonio Holmes, now a rookie with the Pittsburgh Steelers, were arrested in May after run-ins with the police.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 08-03-2006 at 03:15 AM.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-2006, 03:44 AM   #2
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

That's how bad-ass Dale Davis is. It takes a Taser gun to bring that man down.

This article doesn't say what Dale Davis did to find himself in the crosshairs of the formidable Miami Beach Polic Department. Being that big and that black may well have been enough on its own.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 03:50 AM   #3
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

It says he assaulted someone, threatened the police officer that arrived and then tried to chest up with police that wanted him to stay a safe distance away.

Then again, race may have had to do with why they thought he was threatening.
Old 08-03-2006, 07:50 AM   #4
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky
It says he assaulted someone, threatened the police officer that arrived and then tried to chest up with police that wanted him to stay a safe distance away.

Then again, race may have had to do with why they thought he was threatening.
Or, it could have been the fact that he's 6'11" and about 290 lbs.

I wasn't there, so I can't comment on whether race was involved, but if I were the cops and he came toward me in a threatening manner, I'd use the taser, too, regardless of the color of his skin. It probably prevented a much worse incident.
Old 08-03-2006, 08:26 AM   #5
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Where, exactley, does this article say he took a swing at a cop? Pretty misleading title.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 08:38 AM   #6
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

I wonder if the cop looked anything like Shawn Bradley.

Last edited by MavKikiNYC; 08-03-2006 at 08:39 AM.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 09:58 AM   #7
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Dale Dumbass.....I like that the Mavs has a "feel good about the team and players" atmosphere...too bad the rest of the league is an arrest a minute.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 10:32 AM   #8
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

This doesn't suprise me at all considering that he used to play for the blazers.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 12:07 PM   #9
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

From Yahoo Sports
------------------------

Pistons' Davis arrested, shocked with stun gun on Miami Beach
August 4, 2006

MIAMI BEACH, Fla. (AP) -- Detroit Pistons center Dale Davis was shocked with a stun gun and charged with assault and disorderly conduct in an altercation with Miami Beach police.

Davis was arrested Tuesday at a Miami Beach hotel and accused of threatening police, security guards and shouting profanities, police said.

Chubby Wells, Davis' agent, said he plans to file a lawsuit against police for their treatment of the 15-year NBA veteran.

"It was so ridiculous, it's unbelievable," Wells said. "We're going to take a stand."

Police were called to the hotel by the security workers and Davis was repeatedly asked to leave, but refused, according to the report.

After giving officers his identification, Davis and the officers went outside, where the 6-foot-11 player accused the officers of targeting him because he is black. Police said they asked Davis to remove his hands from his pockets for officer safety, and Davis complied after asking officers if they were going to shoot him.

Davis pulled out money, three cellular phones and credit cards. He put the items back in his pockets and said he'd beat up the officers if they took off their badges and got rid of their guns.

Davis then balled his fists and began walking toward officers in an aggressive manner, and he was warned that he would be hit with a Taser gun if he continued.

He didn't stop, and an officer used the stun gun to hit Davis in the chest and he fell to the ground. He was taken into custody and charged with assault, assault on a police officer, disorderly conduct and resisting arrest without violence.

Davis played for Indiana, Portland and Golden State before joining the Pistons as a reserve last season. A Detroit spokesmen didn't return phone messages seeking comment Friday.

Updated on Friday, Aug 4, 2006 12:11 pm EDT
V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 01:12 PM   #10
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

If a cop tells me he is about to use his taser and to stop....I'm pretty sure that I will stop.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 07:05 PM   #11
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

F*ck Dale Davis.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 07:11 PM   #12
StackAttack
Platinum Member

StackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart
Dale Dumbass.....I like that the Mavs has a "feel good about the team and players" atmosphere...too bad the rest of the league is an arrest a minute.
Hrm, never realized it but you're right, all the Mavs are just great people, whereas every other team has that one bugger...cept maybe the Spurs...

Last edited by StackAttack; 08-04-2006 at 07:23 PM.
StackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 07:22 PM   #13
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drbio
If a cop tells me he is about to use his taser and to stop....I'm pretty sure that I will stop.
But with a good lawyer you could get the cop to tazer you, and then sue the force for millions and win. Excessive force!!!!
Old 08-04-2006, 07:59 PM   #14
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

shit like this pisses me off. I have two friends that are cops, and they put up with this shit daily. People need to remember that if it wasn't for tasers, they'd be getting the old fashioned ass kicking. Cops have to warn twice before tasing, so if you're dumb enough to keep resisting, they might as well assume you're high.
And one more thing, cops have to be tased, before they are alowed to use a taser. It's part of their training. I've seen videos, and I know they DO actually get tased, pepper sprayed, and beaned bagged as part of the training.

And it's HILARIOUS
Old 08-04-2006, 10:14 PM   #15
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

If this numb-nuts sues the cops I hope they manage to throw aggravated assault charges at him. What a puss.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 12:37 AM   #16
mkat
Platinum Member

mkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by StackAttack
Hrm, never realized it but you're right, all the Mavs are just great people, whereas every other team has that one bugger...cept maybe the Spurs...
oh Stack used to be a "bugger".

i'm glad he's chilled out.
mkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 02:42 PM   #17
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

One more reason I love the Mavs so much. Great people from a great organization.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 02:53 PM   #18
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkat
oh Stack used to be a "bugger".

i'm glad he's chilled out.

Until maybe his playing time gets taken away with our ridiculously deep roster.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote