Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 06-27-2006, 06:33 PM   #41
rakesh.s
Golden Member

rakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of light

how can you waive all those guys? They're owed what, hundreds of millions over the next several years? That's a lot, even for the knicks.

Brown wanted those guys waived, yet he was the one who brought francis in..what a dumbass.
rakesh.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-2006, 07:17 PM   #42
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

I think he got there and just didn't have the support that he needed to do what he wanted. Brown was hard-headed and wanted to create a core of young talent and completely leave out all the arrogant, selfish players that the organization brought in. I think thats why the lineup changed so dramatically the whole year.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 09:44 PM   #43
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
On draft night, Thomas said he took Balkman early because was sure he would be gone when the Knicks selected again at No. 29 (they did not have a second-round pick). According to Thomas, the Phoenix Suns were set to draft Balkman with one of their two picks, at 21 or 27.

"That's funny," Mike D'Antoni, the Suns' president and coach, told a Phoenix radio station. "He wasn't even on our radar."
What a pitiful liar.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 09:51 PM   #44
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Quote:
On draft night, Thomas said he took Balkman early because was sure he would be gone when the Knicks selected again at No. 29 (they did not have a second-round pick). According to Thomas, the Phoenix Suns were set to draft Balkman with one of their two picks, at 21 or 27.

"That's funny," Mike D'Antoni, the Suns' president and coach, told a Phoenix radio station. "He wasn't even on our radar."

What a pitiful liar.
Which one?
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 12:46 AM   #45
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavKikiNYC
What a pitiful liar.
LOL, he's just looking for an excuse. What a terrible pick.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 12:52 AM   #46
some-dude

some-dude has a spectacular aura aboutsome-dude has a spectacular aura aboutsome-dude has a spectacular aura about

While I don't think it is a good pick, I think people are taking it to far. The Knicks orginization scouted this guy and saw something they liked. To the Knicks, he was the kind of player they need, a defensive hustle player. The Knicks already have enough selfish ballhog players so I don't think they needed a scorer.

We'll just have to wait and see how it pans out. Either way, no matter who they picked they still werent winning 30 games this year.
some-dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 01:36 AM   #47
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by some-dude
While I don't think it is a good pick, I think people are taking it to far. The Knicks orginization scouted this guy and saw something they liked. To the Knicks, he was the kind of player they need, a defensive hustle player. The Knicks already have enough selfish ballhog players so I don't think they needed a scorer.
Funny how Thomas is trying to say that Larry Brown liked this guy. So they're seriously taking the recommendations of the guy they just fired? Would be hilarious if Brown totally snowed them in the pre-draft workouts they forced him to conduct, while doing their damndest to humiliate him.

I half believe that Zeke took this guy because he looks like a thug-punk and Zeke thought that would market well locally. Surprise!

The mood is very poison toward Isiah in NYKdom at the moment (not to mention Dolan, though he's not as easy to get rid of). A lot of long-time Zeke apologists have even given up and shuffled off in disgust and resignaton. Gotta enjoy it for now. Can't decide whether I want them to be so bad that Dolan actually cuts Zeke loose before a year is up, or if I want him to die a slow death of a thousand cuts and degradations.
Old 06-30-2006, 07:43 AM   #48
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't care if he's the absolute guy they wanted, they have to be intelligent enough to know he won't get picked at that high a spot. It's just the knicks not even caring about salaries. Maybe it's a new york thing to just wildly overspend as part of the mystique.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 01:52 PM   #49
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

i agree, dude.

I like balkman. he will be a good fit for their team. but at # 20? with marcus williams still on the board?
Old 06-30-2006, 02:17 PM   #50
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

New York had San Antonio's 29th pick-- 1 option.

New York could have traded their 20th pick down in exchange for something. Something for nothing-- 2nd option

New York probably could have acquired the 27th pick overall from Phoenix for cash-- its not like anyone actually looks at the payroll, or wants to.-- option 3

New York probably could have purchased or traded for a high second rounder.-- option 4

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 06-30-2006 at 02:21 PM.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 03:58 PM   #51
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394
I don't care if he's the absolute guy they wanted, they have to be intelligent enough to know he won't get picked at that high a spot. It's just the knicks not even caring about salaries. Maybe it's a new york thing to just wildly overspend as part of the mystique.
Don't think that's it exactly. There's the rookie scale, so it's not like they can exceed that.

Are 2nd round picks bound by the scale? Seems like that was the loophole they used to sign Lampe (Who?) a couple of years ago, drafting him in the 2nd round. If I'm remembering/understanding correctly, they could actually have paid this guy more as a 2nd rounder.

It's just Isiah trying to be Slick Zeke, gambling against fate to try to make someone, anyone, think that he knows something about being a GM, about evaluating talent, about....about...about....anything.

I guess Thomas wanted this kid, had the 29, but no 2nd rounder. So he reached and took him. But it was just dumb. Reading that he's listed as 6.8, but is probably under 6.7, and does not have great lateral movement. Sounds like a young Malik Rose at best. AT BEST.
Old 06-30-2006, 07:56 PM   #52
GP

GP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to all

I really, really hope that the Knicks show just enough improvement for Dolan to keep Isaiah. This whole situation is a riot. I just can't wait until the next screw up. Maybe, Thomas will grope a cross dresser or something by mistake. Whatever it is going to be it is going to be big and hilarious. Just can't pay for better entertainment than the Knicks.
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 09:10 PM   #53
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

I have kinda been an isiah supporter by my comments about brown and the amount of talent on the team but good god man. What the heck was he thinking??? I dont think williams does them any good as their 4th pg either but he could have been traded or something.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 08:28 AM   #54
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 04:20 PM   #55
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Coach Isiah Thomas might save Isiah the GM

By Dave D'Alessandro - SportingNews

Now that the hysterical mass displays of angst over the Larry Brown Era have turned into a muted slobber, a harsh reality remains: The Knicks are contractually obligated to play another season.

That will be the summer focus in New York, which is to basketball what Islamic fundamentalism is to Iran. And though I still maintain that the fans are daft to care about a team owned and operated by creepy people, I submit the following: This team is not really as bad the 23-59 mudslide would suggest, and at least now it has a coach who must care about achievement as much as he does spit-polishing his legacy.

As an executive, Isiah Thomas is a human pratfall. But coaching always has been his passion, and when you take an objective look at his track record in Indiana, he is good at it. Of course, talking about something good on the Knicks is like talking about a good song on a Michael Bolton album. Everything is relative. Compared with a day at the endodontist, it's not terrible.

Granted, considering the task Zeke faces, perhaps his track record is irrelevant. "It's his ship to steer," owner Jim Dolan, the co-author of this farce, says.

And as Dolan dropped the punch line -- the one about how Thomas has exactly one season to show "significant . . . evident progress" -- Zeke somehow avoided wearing the haunted look of a fugitive who just heard bloodhounds in the distance.

That's because he can do this. He always has prided himself on his leadership skills, not realizing that you can't lead from a corner office on the 14th floor at 2 Penn Plaza or a vomitory at the Garden. You lead from the practice floor, the bus and the locker room.

Before he changes into sweats, of course, he has to move out at least two extraneous pieces -- Jalen Rose and Steve Francis, for starters -- and that won't be easy. But it's not all about personnel. It's about imparting a vision (think Phoenix East), infusing some affinity, settling on a rotation and restoring the confidence Brown methodically shattered.

Then he must get Eddy Curry to defend and turn him into the fulcrum of the offense. Beyond that, he has to hope there will be some coruscating moments from his resident jewel, Stephon Marbury. (OK, that part was sarcasm.)

But, yes, Thomas can do this. He proved it in Indy. He took a team of children to the playoffs three straight years. On his watch, Jermaine O'Neal became a star. On his watch, Ron Artest became a beast.

He has let the Knicks deteriorate for 30 months. Over the next six, he may establish one of two things: that he was the right coach for this group all along or that his team had a meatball for a general manager. I'm guessing it will be both.

Dave D'Alessandro is the NBA writer for The Star-Ledger of Newark, N.J.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
Old 07-04-2006, 04:21 PM   #56
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Lol, that's genius Dooby!

Old 07-07-2006, 06:51 AM   #57
Knickfan

Knickfan is a jewel in the roughKnickfan is a jewel in the roughKnickfan is a jewel in the rough

I'm SO glad they finally put Thomas as coach. The reason why, it will only be HALF of the season before this man is finally fired and OUT of New York. I am (rather) was probably one of the biggest Isiah Thomas fans in the world, but since he's come to New York, he's done NOTHING but RUIN this franchise. Dolan is a pretty big moron too but Isiah has been making all the moves and EVERY SINGLE MOVE has left me scratching my head. Well he's built this team, now he can coach them and he'll coach them right to their demise!!!!

Anyone whose a Knick fan here, don't worry it will all be over soon enough.
Knickfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 09:09 PM   #58
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Renaldo Balkman: Injures Ankle in Summer League Game
RotoWire.com Staff - RotoWire.com
Saturday, July 8, 2006
Update: Balkman (knee) had six points and four rebounds in his Knick debut in the Vegas Summer League, but was forced to leave the game when he rolled his left ankle in the third quarter, vegassummerleague.com reports.

Recommendation: Balkman had sprained his knee earlier in the week.

Old 07-29-2006, 09:57 AM   #59
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

Gee Wiz! Knicks offer Jared $30M

BY FRANK ISOLA
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER Isiah Thomas spent the past two years pursuing Jared Jeffries and now he finally has Jeffries' signature on a contract.

The Knicks offered their mid-level exception to Jeffries yesterday, a deal that would pay him $30 million over the next five years. However, since Jeffries is a restricted free agent, his current club, the Washington Wizards, has seven days to match the offer.

The Daily News reported two weeks ago that Thomas was considering signing the 24-year-old Jeffries.

Sources indicated the Wizards might be prevented from matching the Knicks' offer because the contract would place them right at the luxury tax threshold.

In the event that Washington decides to pass, the addition of the 6-11 Jeffries would give the Knicks a versatile small forward who can play three positions. His presence likely would force Thomas to make another deal, since the Knicks have a surplus of small forwards.

Jalen Rose and Quentin Richardson are expected to compete for the starting job. The Knicks also used the first of their two first-round picks to select a small forward, Renaldo Balkman. Second-year forward David Lee is another option.

If Jeffries joins the Knicks, Rose and Richardson become the most logical candidates to be traded. Rose has more value because he is entering the final year of his contract. Richardson, who has a history of back problems, is coming off his worst season as a pro.

Both Rose and Richardson are more polished offensively than Jeffries, who is a jack-of-all-trades type of player. He averaged 6.4 points and 4.9 rebounds in 77 games last season. Washington made a one-year qualifying offer to Jeffries last month for approximately $3 million.

"Jared is very excited to be joining the Knicks," said Jeffries' agent, Andy Miller. "He's known Isiah for half of his life and this is a thrill for him."

Last edited by MavKikiNYC; 07-29-2006 at 09:57 AM.
Old 07-29-2006, 01:07 PM   #60
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Wow, a little pricey for Jefferies.

Old 07-29-2006, 02:59 PM   #61
mqywaaah
Diamond Member

mqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant future

The Knicks has a lot of money. They've already got huge contracts on their present rosters. Think they have a shot of getting better this coming season with Thomas at the wheel?

Follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/gloriosomacky
mqywaaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 05:53 PM   #62
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mqywaaah
Think they have a shot of getting better this coming season with Thomas at the wheel?
Nope.

Old 07-29-2006, 11:26 PM   #63
The Crippler
Diamond Member

The Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant future

wait, wait, wait, the knicks already have jalen rose, drafted balkman and now are going to sign Jeffries? Seriously, wtf? Issah's moves make absolutely no sense at all. how many 3's do you need?
"I say 'Hey Lama, how about a little something ya know', for the effort?' And he says 'oh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that going for me...which is nice."
The Crippler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 11:57 PM   #64
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Crippler
wait, wait, wait, the knicks already have jalen rose, drafted balkman and now are going to sign Jeffries? Seriously, wtf? Issah's moves make absolutely no sense at all. how many 3's do you need?
You left out Richardson.
Old 07-30-2006, 12:43 AM   #65
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Crippler
They are looking to trade Rose and Jeffries can play multiple positions, but I agree they do have plenty of 3's.

Old 07-30-2006, 04:16 PM   #66
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

he paid way too much but this isnt a bad signing for them. I still say that team has an enormous amount of talent.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 04:22 PM   #67
HexNBA
Golden Member

HexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to all

"he paid way too much but this isnt a bad signing for them"

There's no way Washington wont match this anyway
Old 07-30-2006, 08:58 PM   #68
atrewsfan
Banned

atrewsfan will become famous soon enoughatrewsfan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan
I still say the knicks are in the top half of the nba in terms of talent.
You mean "in the top half of the nba in terms of egotistical ball-hogs, PG's who turn the ball over like doing so starts fast breaks for THEIR team, and soft pudgy post players who don't want to play D because they're afraid people might see them touching a guy on the other team and think that they're gay."
atrewsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 09:15 PM   #69
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

Default Well I'll Be Damned....

Quote:
Originally Posted by HexNBA
"he paid way too much but this isnt a bad signing for them"

There's no way Washington wont match this anyway
August 7, 2006
Wizards Pass on Jeffries

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Filed at 4:26 p.m. ET
WASHINGTON (AP) -- Having found a cheaper and more enthusiastic alternative in DeShawn Stevenson, the Washington Wizards said Monday they won't match the New York Knicks' offer sheet for restricted free agent Jared Jeffries.

The Wizards had seven days to match the Knicks' five-year, $30 million deal. They spent the week signing Stevenson -- who, like Jeffries, is known for his perimeter defense -- to a contract that will pay him the NBA minimum of $932,000 for the upcoming season.

''Jared's representative made it crystal clear that he preferred being in New York,'' Wizards president of basketball operations Ernie Grunfeld said. ''And we feel we have plenty of players who can take up the slack. We have players that want to be here.''

The 6-foot-11, 240-pound Jeffries, selected by Washington with the 11th overall pick in the 2002 draft, has averaged 6.1 points and 4.9 rebounds in four seasons with the Wizards. Last season he started 77 games and averaged 6.4 points, but his greatest asset was his versatility as a defender.

Grunfeld said the Wizards will make up for Jeffries' absence with Stevenson and the return of Jarvis Hayes, who missed most of last season with a knee injury. The Wizards have also signed forward Darius Songaila and have high hopes for second-year player Andray Blatche, who played well during summer league games.

''We've added a lot of toughness to this ballclub,'' Grunfeld said. ''Our toughness is going to get better, as well as our competitiveness. We're deep at every position. In all likelihood, this is the team we're going to camp with, and we're very comfortable with it.''

A tentative Wizards starting lineup has either Stevenson or Hayes playing next to All-Star point guard Gilbert Arenas, with forwards Caron Butler and Antawn Jamison and probably center Brendan Haywood in the frontcourt. Training camp begins in early October.

When listing the key contributors for the upcoming season, Grunfeld did not mention first-round draft pick Oleksiy Pecherov, the latest indication that the Wizards are leaning against buying out the contract the 20-year-old Ukrainian has with a French team. With Washington's roster more or less set, Pecherov could benefit from the greater playing time he would get from another year in Europe before coming to the NBA.

''We think he has a good future in front of him,'' Grunfeld said. ''But he's only 20 years old, so we don't want to put too much pressure on him at this time.''

-