Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 04-05-2006, 10:04 AM   #1
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Stoudemire to have surgery again

Report: Stoudemire to have right knee surgery

ESPN.com news services

Amare Stoudemire's full-time return will have to wait until next season.

The Phoenix Suns' star will have arthroscopic surgery on his right knee to look for causes of a cyst and fluid accumulation, his manager, Rodney Rice, told The Arizona Republic for Wednesday's editions.

Team physician Thomas Carter is expected to operate Wednesday.

"As of right now, I'd say he's not going to play again this season," Rice told the Republic. "I feel that's the best thing for him."

Stoudemire underwent microfracture surgery on his left knee before the season and missed the first 66 games. The All-Star forward had 20 points and nine rebounds against Portland his first game back, but he was less effective in his subsequent two outings and hasn't played since.

Phoenix coach and general manager Mike D'Antoni said last week that the team would be cautious.

"He's going to play 10 years for us, so we're not going to be nearsighted and think it's so important that next week he plays," he said
Old 04-05-2006, 10:16 AM   #2
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
"He's going to play 10 years for us, so we're not going to be nearsighted and think it's so important that next week he plays," he said
Then why did he play in the first place? They knew there was the problem with fluid build up before he returned.

I couldn't quite figure that one out. That whole incident of him trying to play seemed like a panic move.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 10:18 AM   #3
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary
Then why did he play in the first place? They knew there was the problem with fluid build up before he returned.

I couldn't quite figure that one out. That whole incident of him trying to play seemed like a panic move.
Yea I thought they were absolutely nuts to bring him back this year. I can't believe that hard practices or exercise wouldn't have brought the experience.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 10:19 AM   #4
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

poor Steve Nash....I wonder if his money will confort him at night....

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 10:41 AM   #5
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

I would have held him out this year and not just because of the injury but because the Suns were playing so well without him. His return disrupted everything they had worked for all season, imo.

You take your chances on what they could do in the playoffs this year and work him back in over the summer/training camp.
Old 04-05-2006, 10:42 AM   #6
TripleDipping
Diamond Member

TripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud of

At this point, I'd say it's optimistic to think that Stoudamire will be playing the first game next season. Can't say that I feel sorry for him, but it's a shame if a talent like that is wasted because of the injury.
TripleDipping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 03:04 PM   #7
kriD
Platinum Member

kriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to all

Amaré doesn't regret comeback

Paul Coro
The Arizona Republic

LOS ANGELES - Two knee operations later, Amaré Stoudemire's confidence remains intact.

Three months away from plans to join USA Basketball's tryout camp, Stoudemire watches Suns playoff games with an eye on trends he notes for the staff and a thought of what he would be doing in this series with the Lakers.

"I'd be dominating these guys," said Stoudemire, who still put on the practice jersey for the team shootaround Friday. "I swear, man. It's kind of frustrating because I know inside that I would've."

Stoudemire again is optimistic about returning in better form than ever from an April 5 arthroscopy on his right knee. He called the cyst and debris found in the knee "a blessing" because he now is learning how to run and jump in a more efficient way with Mike Clark, National Academy of Sports Medicine president. He calls the program "genius."

Stoudemire said he has no regrets about his three-game return because he had times in practices when he thought he was all the way back as he threw down windmill dunks.

He said he knew in the second game that it was not going to work.

"If I hadn't had the surgery and taken my time, it probably would've been a lot worse," Stoudemire said.

"Now, I've got time to focus on the correct way to run and jump. When I get back, it's going to be even better. I'm probably going to come back more explosive.

"I don't have a mind setback. I'm really positive about the situation. I'm just ready to get strong again."

Stoudemire just completed the first stage of his rehabilitation by getting the swelling out of his right knee and the range of motion back, Suns head athletic trainer Aaron Nelson said. Stoudemire will go through two more three-week stages of stability and strength work before he can start a final stage that will incorporate basketball activity.

"This year's been tough," Stoudemire said. "I had high expectations for myself this year, extremely high. I've just got to postpone it until next season."

Stoudemire has a big summer ahead, with a new son expected to join a sister in mid-August, and an attempt to play for USA Basketball in mid-July. His rehabilitation is set up so that he would need to get in court time at that point anyway.

"Instead of just playing summer ball with some guys, it'll give me a chance to play against All-Stars and pros," Stoudemire said.

"I know for a fact I'll be 100 percent in October (when training camp opens)."

Until the time he expects to be a "monster" again, Stoudemire spends this series watching Steve Nash and Kobe Bryant.

He envisions his game evolving into a small forward's role at about 250 pounds.

"I sit back and study for myself, when it's my time to be MVP," Stoudemire said.

He is not the only one watching this series wondering what could be if he were playing.

"Every time we lose, I think about it," Suns coach Mike D'Antoni said.
kriD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 01:38 AM   #8
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

unfotunatley, i have to not like him because he plays against the Mavs, but he has a ton of talent and it's really fun to watch him play. I hope he gets better by the first game next season.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 02:28 AM   #9
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike
poor Steve Nash....I wonder if his money will confort him at night....
**Giggle**

The Suns sure look stupid yet again for signing him to that contract when they knew he was hurt. Idiots. Stick a fork in him.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 11:19 PM   #10
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Stoudemire Dropped From U.S. Roster

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published: August 3, 2006
Filed at 6:48 p.m. ET

LAS VEGAS (AP) -- Amare Stoudemire was dropped Thursday from the U.S. roster for their trip to Asia, leaving 14 players available for the 12 spots on the world championship team.

USA Basketball announced Stoudemire's departure hours before it played Puerto Rico in an exhibition game. The Phoenix Suns forward was to miss that game and return home to continue rehabbing his right knee and await the impending birth of a child.

''During the past few days of our training camp we concluded that it would be difficult for Amare to continue with the rehabilitation he needs to do while the team continues its training in Asia,'' USA Basketball managing director Jerry Colangelo said in a statement.

''He is not quite where he needs to be and he needs to continue his work here in the States to get ready for the season. He is also expecting the birth of a child, so we decided it would be best if he returned home.''

Stoudemire entered camp as somewhat of a long shot to make the final 12. He was limited to only three games last season after a pair of knee surgeries, and was still well off his top form after an arthroscopic procedure on his right knee in April.

But a strong finish to the first segment of camp paved the way for him to make the second week after Suns teammate Shawn Marion developed a knee injury during the earlier session.

Stoudemire remained on the national team roster and is eligible to play in the 2008 Olympics.
The remaining 14 players are scheduled to depart for China on Friday to continue training. The roster must be reduced to 12 before the world championships begin in Japan on Aug. 19.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 11:20 PM   #11
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold
Default He ain't back yet.

Stoudemire Dropped From U.S. Roster

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published: August 3, 2006
Filed at 6:48 p.m. ET

LAS VEGAS (AP) -- Amare Stoudemire was dropped Thursday from the U.S. roster for their trip to Asia, leaving 14 players available for the 12 spots on the world championship team.

USA Basketball announced Stoudemire's departure hours before it played Puerto Rico in an exhibition game. The Phoenix Suns forward was to miss that game and return home to continue rehabbing his right knee and await the impending birth of a child.

''During the past few days of our training camp we concluded that it would be difficult for Amare to continue with the rehabilitation he needs to do while the team continues its training in Asia,'' USA Basketball managing director Jerry Colangelo said in a statement.

''He is not quite where he needs to be and he needs to continue his work here in the States to get ready for the season. He is also expecting the birth of a child, so we decided it would be best if he returned home.''

Stoudemire entered camp as somewhat of a long shot to make the final 12. He was limited to only three games last season after a pair of knee surgeries, and was still well off his top form after an arthroscopic procedure on his right knee in April.

But a strong finish to the first segment of camp paved the way for him to make the second week after Suns teammate Shawn Marion developed a knee injury during the earlier session.

Stoudemire remained on the national team roster and is eligible to play in the 2008 Olympics.
The remaining 14 players are scheduled to depart for China on Friday to continue training. The roster must be reduced to 12 before the world championships begin in Japan on Aug. 19.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 11:39 PM   #12
mqywaaah
Diamond Member

mqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant future

I dont think Amare would ever come back. If ever he does, he wouldnt be the same Amare that he was 2 seasons ago. They should just trade him out to a much more healthy and functioning player, than to put their season hopes of winning a trophy on hold for another season or two.imo

Follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/gloriosomacky
mqywaaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 11:43 PM   #13
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mqywaaah
I dont think Amare would ever come back. If ever he does, he wouldnt be the same Amare that he was 2 seasons ago. They should just trade him out to a much more healthy and functioning player, than to put their season hopes of winning a trophy on hold for another season or two.imo
That's sort of interesting. Someone might take that flyer? Would be kinda ballsy.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 08-03-2006, 11:47 PM   #14
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Old 08-04-2006, 12:03 AM   #15
dude1394
Guru

Who's who? I thought black jesus had "1".
Old 08-04-2006, 12:13 AM   #16
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

Trading Amare wouldn't be very wise. The reason they were as sucessful 2 seasons ago is because of the mismatch they always seemed to have at the center position. You'd have to trade him for a player with similar abilities. Unfortunately, i can't think of one. Maybe Garnett?
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 02:03 PM   #17
The Crippler
Diamond Member

The Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394
Who's who? I thought black jesus had "1".
that's chris paul capping Amare....doesn't look so hot for black jesus.
"I say 'Hey Lama, how about a little something ya know', for the effort?' And he says 'oh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that going for me...which is nice."
The Crippler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 02:26 PM   #18
Tokey41
Platinum Member

Tokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to behold

Well I guess we dont have to worry about Phoenix drastically improving and being scared of big bad Amare... shame though, I really did like watching him play.
Tokey41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 12:40 AM   #19
mkat
Platinum Member

mkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash13
Trading Amare wouldn't be very wise. The reason they were as sucessful 2 seasons ago is because of the mismatch they always seemed to have at the center position. You'd have to trade him for a player with similar abilities. Unfortunately, i can't think of one. Maybe Garnett?

there was a rumor for a while that Garnett would be going to PHX. ...guess that didn't pan out.
mkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 10:56 AM   #20
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Like I said when Amare first had his surgery, and lots of people on here saying it wasn't as serious as some of the other players like Webber.....when you have Knee surgery, nearly any kind, I can safely say there is a 90% chance that player won't be the same player when they come back. Amare won't be the same player, no matter what kind of come back he has.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote