Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 08-02-2006, 03:47 PM   #1
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold
Default NBA Acknowledges Playoff Mistake--Part I

NBA Changes Seeding Format for Playoffs

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published: August 2, 2006
Filed at 4:22 p.m. ET

The NBA is changing the way teams are seeded in the postseason, looking to avoid the controversy that surrounded last season's playoffs.

Starting in the upcoming season, the top four seeds -- the three division winners and the second-place team with the best record -- will be seeded according to their win-loss total, guaranteeing that the top two teams in each conference can't meet until the conference finals, the league announced Wednesday.

The NBA had given the top three seeds to division winners regardless of record, meaning a second-place team could not do better than the No. 4 seed, even if it had a better record than a division champion.

That rule came under fire last season when division rivals San Antonio and Dallas were forced to meet in the second round of the Western Conference playoffs, even though the second-place Mavericks had a far better record than division champions Phoenix or Denver.

Dallas knocked off the first-place Spurs in a thrilling matchup of 60-game winners, capturing Game 7 on the road in overtime.

The league's board of governors also voted to expand the postseason rosters to 15, instead of 13, with 12 players active for each game. That duplicates the rule used in the regular season.

The NBA champion Miami Heat were among those that criticized the policy that forced teams to carry fewer players in the playoffs than during the season.

Also, if a team has two 60-second timeouts left in the final 2 minutes of regulation or in overtime, one will be reduced to a 20-second timeout. Teams will now have two 60-second timeouts and one lasting 20 seconds in overtime, instead of three 1-minute timeouts. Clubs will no longer be permitted to carry over a 20-second timeout from regulation into overtime.

''Our owners are intent on making the playoff seeding more fair for all teams going forward and in quickening the pace of the end of games,'' NBA executive vice president Stu Jackson said in a statement.

''The board also thought it made sense to allow teams to utilize the same 15-man roster in the playoffs that they use during the regular season.''

Last edited by MavKikiNYC; 08-02-2006 at 03:49 PM.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2006, 04:05 PM   #2
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

Good news for the Mavs. What a terrible idea last season.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 10:46 PM   #3
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Its still retarted and it would have still screwed someone last year, just not the mavs. Just see the top 8 teams according to record or the 3 division winners plus the 5 best other records but dont restrict the seeding of the division winners to the top 4. I can now see how the nba screws up, they are run by a bunch of retards. Denver tied for the 8th best record in the west last year, not the 4th. Applying the new rules to last year, the seeding would have been
1. Sa vs 8. Sacto
2. Dallas vs 7. LA Lakers
3. Phoenix Vs 6. Clippers
4. Denver Vs 5. Memphis(with homecourt.)
Now if they did it the way they should do it,
1. SA vs 8. Sacramento
2. Dallas Vs. 7. Denver
3. Phoenix vs 6. Lakers
4. Memphis vs. 5. Clippers.

It would end up the second way using either of my scenarios though i wish they would just go with the 8 best records but at most they should only let you be in the playoffs for winning a crappy division, not screw a better team out of a better seed. I know some of you would say, well they still dont get home court if the other team has a better record but the problem is it changes matchups. In this particular scenario, the LA teams and not the mavs would be the team to get screwed as the lakers would get dallas instead of phoenix and the clips would get Phoenix instead of memphis. Obviously i care less about those teams so it would bother me less but it just amazes me that people dont see this crap coming because i guarantee you its coming again just like i saw it coming last year and the year before(dallas had a better record than the midwest winner that year too).
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 10:44 AM   #4
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkenstien
Good news for the Mavs. What a terrible idea last season.
Good news for the Spurs and Suns you mean.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 12:27 PM   #5
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike
Exactly! If anything, it was the Spurs who suffered last season having to play the Mavs in the 2nd round and not vice versa.
V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 02:41 PM   #6
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike

The way this mavs team is put together, I don't think it matters who plays who when. They're all going down at some point or another.

Actually the longer other teams are left in the playoffs, the more chance of injury to their players. The other teams might as well just set their best players this year. The mavs are comin'
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 02:40 PM   #7
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

I think this is a nice improvment, but still not what it should be. Better than last year though.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote