Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 03-31-2019, 06:24 PM   #41
Jack.Kerr
Golden Member

Jack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt_dobber View Post
in LOSS to Heat - Dennis Smith Jr - 18min - 12 points, 4 reb, 1 ast, 2 stl, 2TO
Previously, in first game back versus Raptors, coming off bench backing up Mudiay:

LOSS: 20 minutes, 7 points on 11 shots (1/4 3s) 1 assist, 2 turnovers, -13.

Quote:
Speaking for the first time since a back injury forced him out of six straight games, Dennis Smith Jr. said an MRI uncovered some displaced discs and inflammation but he doesn’t seem concerned about the long-term outlook.

The 21-year-old, who was recouped from Dallas in the trade for Kristaps Porzingis, participated in portions of practice Wednesday and is listed as questionable for Thursday’s game against the Raptors.

His availability is contingent on how his back responds to an uptick in activity.

“I don’t know exactly what happened,” Smith said. “I can’t tell you what happened. I just know it wasn’t right, went and got my MRI’s and the doctors saw it and they decided I should sit for a little while until I’m healthy.

Smith is among only five Knicks players with fully guaranteed contracts next season, so his development – and health – takes some degree of precedence.

Many questions concerning Smith remain unanswered going into the Knicks’ fateful summer of 2019:
  • Can he be counted on as a point guard of the future? (No.)
  • How will his presence shape decisions about point guards in the draft and free agency? (Draft best player possible, PGs step right up.)
  • Can this back issue be dismissed as minor and irrelevant, or is there a concern about recurrence? (Fragile.)
Prior to the injury, Smith averaged 14.6 points and six assists on 41.6 percent shooting during his 17 games with the Knicks , but he’s unsure how or why his back flamed up.

“I don’t know man, I’m just playing man. I’m on the floor and all kind of things happen, so I can’t tell you exactly what it was,” he said. “It might have been an accumulation of things. It happened. It was unfortunate. But I’m working right now to try to get back.”
Update: DNP in WIN v. Bulls
Update: DNP/Injured in LOSS v. Magic

Knicks with 4 games left to play. Smith's maximum Games Played this year will be 55.

Durability is going to be a concern for potential trading partners whenever the Knicks start shopping him. And they will.

Last edited by Jack.Kerr; 04-04-2019 at 11:04 AM.
Jack.Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-2019, 05:28 PM   #42
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

http://dlisted.com/2019/05/18/lamar-...s-a-drug-test/
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 05:03 PM   #43
Jack.Kerr
Golden Member

Jack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond repute
Default We'll See.

Knicks' 'shot doctor' trying to save Dennis Smith Jr.
Old 10-03-2019, 06:51 AM   #44
Jack.Kerr
Golden Member

NYKnicks Put Dennis Smith On a Diet As Ntilikina Dominates FIBA: Fizdale (paraphrased) 'Last season's offense was way dumbed down because Smith was fat and out-of-shape, and couldn't run more complex sets'.
Old 10-04-2019, 01:56 PM   #45
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Luka official measurement" 6'7.5"
Zion official measurement 6'6"

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 10-04-2019 at 01:59 PM.
Old 10-05-2019, 10:56 PM   #46
Jack.Kerr
Golden Member

Far more interesting questions are:

1) when the Mavericks got rid of Luka;

2) when they acquired Zion;
3) when they traded Zion
Old 10-05-2019, 11:26 PM   #47
NeedlesKane
Platinum Member

NeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant future

Not even the least bit funny Jack.Kerr.
Old 10-24-2019, 10:24 AM   #48
Jack.Kerr
Golden Member

Default Porzingis Trade: Mavs 1, Knicks 0

With Sarah Palin as Speechwriter
Quote:
Dennis Smith Jr. was the first off the bench but struggled. The 21-year-old, who represents the biggest piece acquired in the trade for Kristaps Porzingis (and therefore very significant to the front office), shot just 1-of-4 in 10 minutes before Fizdale called it quits. When Payton succumbed to foul trouble in the third quarter, Fizdale went to Ntilikina instead. Ntilikina also underwhelmed in his three-minute cameo while committing two turnovers.

Smith hasn’t looked well since injuring his back before the first preseason game and said he can’t worry about not starting.

“With situations like that, my faith is in me. My faith is in the work that I put in. And everything that I do. And I know that everything will work out for me. So I’ve just got to stay dedicated to what I do and keep my vision clear. I’ve got a vision for myself and I can’t let anything get in the way of that, or anybody,” Smith said. “Like I said, it’s a job, you feel me? And you’ve got to play your position. I’ve got a vision for myself and I’ve got my faith in me. My faith isn’t in anybody else, it’s in me. So I believe if I keep that up, I’ll be where I want to be at.”

Last edited by Jack.Kerr; 10-24-2019 at 10:28 AM.
Old 10-26-2019, 06:42 PM   #49
Jack.Kerr
Golden Member

Default Porzingis Trade: Mavs 2, Nix 0

Ouch. Smith booed in pre-game intros at MSG.

Even worse, Ntilikina got a massive cheer.

Feel the burn, Bullet, feel the burn.

Update: After Bullet bricks a 3-point attempt in last seconds of Q3, MSG crowd chants "WE WANT FRANK!"

Line through 3 quarters: 11 minutes, 0 points on 0-3 FG, 1 rebound, 1 steal, 1 assist, 2 TO, -15.

His shot has more hitches now than a U-haul parking lot.

He leaves the court to boos.

I'm almost starting to feel bad for him. Almost.

Quote:
Dennis Smith Jr. seems to have the yips
Stefan Bondy
By STEFAN BONDY
NEW YORK DAILY NEWS |
OCT 26, 2019 | 10:12 PM

Something is wrong with Dennis Smith Jr.

It was fairly evident in the first two games of the season, and then painfully obvious in Saturday night’s 118-95 loss to the Celtics. The point guard and former ninth overall pick has the symptoms of the dreaded yips.

Boston recognized the issue and left Smith Jr. wide open Saturday. He either passed up the shot or missed, going 0-for-3 on without coming close. His night ended on the end of the bench, a towel draped over his shoulder and a somber look on his face.

Smith Jr. only logged 11 minutes Saturday, but his final 3 1/2 minutes between the third and fourth quarters were pivotal to the end result. The Knicks were up 4 when Smith Jr. was subbed in. They trailed by 8 when he left and never recovered.

Toward the end of Smith Jr.’s time on the floor, a frustrated crowd booed his misses and chanted for Frank Ntilikina, the other point guard who is buried at the end of the rotation. On the season, Smith Jr. is 1-for-11 with three points in three games. His jumper was never a strong point, and he spent the summer working on a new form with assistant coach Keith Smart. Now Smith Jr. can’t come close.

Loud "We want Frank" chants at MSG as DSJ struggles
https://twitter.com/cjzero/status/1188267968989409280

David Fizdale said he’ll allow Smith Jr. play out of the funk. To a point.

“That’s the battle. That’s the battle. You’re trying to stay competitive in the game and at the same time you’re trying to give him enough time to fight his way into rhythm,” the coach said. “But you know, ultimately I always pick trying to win over that right now. He’ll get there.”

The loss, by far their worst of the season, dropped the Knicks to 0-3. Kemba Walker, the Bronx native, dropped 32 points on his hometown team on 11-of-17 shooting. The Knicks were a disaster with 25 turnovers and just 15 assists, so it’s wholly unfair to pin this all on Smith Jr.

But as the biggest remaining piece in the Kristaps Porzingis trade, the Knicks have a lot invested in the 21-year-old. The only bright spot was RJ Barrett’s first half. The rookie finished with 26 points on 9-of-20 shooting.

“He’s really talented,” Celtics coach Brad Stevens said of Barrett. “I thought he was really good in the draft, I thought he was really good at Duke. He’s had that reputation before he got there. His ability to shoot the ball early on has been impressive. He’s always been able to get downhill and finish. Big strong guard. The way the league is going, he can play 2-through-4. And he finished the game (against Brooklyn on Friday night) at the point. So quite an impressive young guy.”

David Fizdale went with the same starting lineup as the night prior in Brooklyn — with Elfrid Payton at point guard and Mitchell Robinson at center — and it was a smashing success. After an elaborate introduction of the roster for the home opener, the Knicks jumped out to a 16-4 advantage.

But that lead only held up for about seven minutes. The Celtics immediately responded with a 16-4 run of their own, and the first half turned into a back-and-forth with lead changes and alternating bursts of good basketball.

The game turned for the Celtics for good when Smith Jr. came back in.

Last edited by Jack.Kerr; 10-26-2019 at 09:28 PM.
Old 10-27-2019, 11:04 AM   #50
turin
Diamond Member

turin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant future

I'm beyond elated that Smith is gone.
turin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 01:27 PM   #51
j0Shi
Diamond Member

j0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond repute

If this continues, much more respect for what the Mavs were able to get out of Smith. Imho this is mainly a confidence thing, but still. Not sure DSJ ever got the feeling that NY the city or the Knicks the franchise ever really wanted him. It's especially weird since they are bad, like really bad. They could give the young guys 30 mins / game, who cares. But they somehow seem to believe that they can actually win games and rather play shitty veterans.

Last edited by j0Shi; 10-27-2019 at 01:28 PM.
j0Shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 02:38 PM   #52
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

The biggest losers in all of this are Knicks fans. They get mad that the Knicks drafted Frank over DSJ and now are mad Dennis plays over Frank? What a joke. Karma is a bitch.

Dolan is the new Sterling...maybe worse.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 02:51 PM   #53
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

No wonder he only got 5 minutes. His confidence must be completely shot to do something this dumb. It’s like he’s too nervous to think.

https://twitter.com/MatthewNGeist/st...83902494490624

Last edited by FreshJive; 10-27-2019 at 03:03 PM.
FreshJive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 09:31 PM   #54
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
The biggest losers in all of this are Knicks fans. They get mad that the Knicks drafted Frank over DSJ and now are mad Dennis plays over Frank? What a joke. Karma is a bitch.

Dolan is the new Sterling...maybe worse.
Knicks fans and Dolan just deserve each other
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 02:32 PM   #55
Jack.Kerr
Golden Member

Harrison Barnes with 30 pts (6 in OT) to lead SAC to a come-from-behind OT win v DEN.

Did DAL really trade Barnes for JJAX and 'cap space'? Really?
Old 12-01-2019, 04:49 PM   #56
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Barnes is great at carrying the load on a bad team, but he didn't fit with Luka at all otherwise they would have kept him.

And it's not Jackson's fault he can't get minutes. He averages 14 ppg in games where he gets 20 minutes or more this season. His shooting for the season is 49% FG and 45% from three.

Old 12-01-2019, 05:19 PM   #57
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack.Kerr View Post
Harrison Barnes with 30 pts (6 in OT) to lead SAC to a come-from-behind OT win v DEN.

Did DAL really trade Barnes for JJAX and 'cap space'? Really?
Jax plays off-ball. He's a perfect fit here.

Barnes is a ball-dominant forward. Great guy, but bad fit next to Doncic.
Old 12-01-2019, 07:11 PM   #58
Jack.Kerr
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
Jax plays off-ball. He's a perfect fit here.

Barnes is a ball-dominant forward. Great guy, but bad fit next to Doncic.
Is that the story now? Last I heard, people (perhaps you) were saying that he was a skilled player (and a great guy), but a poor value with his contract.

Ball-dominant? I remember that he focused on scoring when he was the only threat they had, but I would not call him 'ball-dominant'.

Bad fit next to Luka? What kind of player is the right fit next to Luka? One who can hit the 3? Barnes does that. One who can score in the low post? Barnes does that. One who can get to the free-throw line? Barnes does that.

So what're the Mavs looking to upgrade this year? They're looking for a reliable second scorer, and they appear to need someone who could get baskets and/or FTs from easy shots inside. Unlikely that a Hardaway hot streak is going to carry them into the playoffs.

I don't think the Mavs ever intended to use that cap space; it was all about keeping payroll low to manageable.

In the end, it amounted to a Jackson-Barnes trade. Bad deal for the Mavericks.

Last edited by Jack.Kerr; 12-01-2019 at 07:12 PM.
Old 12-01-2019, 07:53 PM   #59
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
In the end, it amounted to a Jackson-Barnes trade. Bad deal for the Mavericks.
I'd say it's more like like a Jackson-Wright trade.

It was a salary move, and a necessary one considering the bad contracts the Mavs had to take on in the KP trade. Whether or the Mavs use their cap space wisely afterward is a separate debate.

Bad deal for the Mavs? Meh, I'm not losing sleep over it. I like Barnes just fine, but let's not make him out to be more than what he is. If he was still here right now, he'd be a marginal upgrade at best.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 10:05 AM   #60
Scoobay
Golden Member

Scoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post

It was a salary move, and a necessary one considering the bad contracts the Mavs had to take on in the KP trade. Whether or the Mavs use their cap space wisely afterward is a separate debate.

Bad deal for the Mavs? Meh, I'm not losing sleep over it. I like Barnes just fine, but let's not make him out to be more than what he is. If he was still here right now, he'd be a marginal upgrade at best.
Agree - Barnes had gone from a 4th option type of player to having to be "the man" for the Mavs - would he have just as easily swung back to being just another cog in the Mavs' current offense? We see the same struggle going on with THJ - no need for another 20 million player who's probably not going to put us over the top. Might be better for a year or two but doesn't move the needle to making us a top team.

I think Barnes is a great guy, tough player, but sending him out was the right move.
Scoobay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 11:07 AM   #61
Jack.Kerr
Golden Member

Quote:

I am interpreting that to mean Jackson/Wright for Barnes? Diversification of risk is good, but still that's two lesser players, neither one of whom will ever be at Barnes' level.

I see a lot of people talking about the Mavericks needing to upgrade their roster; I agree. But I don't see a blockbuster deal in the Mavs' near future, so any upgrade is going to be 'marginal'.

It seems like that by trading Barnes, the Mavs always intended to be taking one (or two) steps back now, in order to take one step forward in the future. That's losing ground, not gaining ground.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobay View Post
Agree - Barnes had gone from a 4th option type of player to having to be "the man" for the Mavs - would he have just as easily swung back to being just another cog in the Mavs' current offense? We see the same struggle going on with THJ - no need for another 20 million player who's probably not going to put us over the top. Might be better for a year or two but doesn't move the needle to making us a top team.

I think Barnes is a great guy, tough player, but sending him out was the right move.
In GS, Barnes was deferring to Curry and Thompson for sure; probably being stepped over for shots by vets and/or shothogs like Green, Iguodala, Livingston. Yes, he worked to fit in, which I think is what you want?

Were Porzingis' struggles unforeseen? At a minimum, Barnes would've been the 'other' scoring option for Doncic to feed while KP finds his footing, and a long 2/3 who'd have been a versatile defender.

If the point is that Barnes (even with his contract) was tradeable, whereas Hardaway with his millstone of a contract was not, I agree.

If the point is to re-set expectations, and to say that this team (as constructed) shouldn't be expected to advance into that playoffs, I can accept that too, despite some of the irrational exuberance expressed in GDTs.

Last edited by Jack.Kerr; 12-02-2019 at 11:11 AM.
Old 12-02-2019, 01:02 PM   #62
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

No it wasn’t exactly Barnes for Jackson/Wright. Delon was plan C or D. If Horford didn’t leave Boston unexpectedly then maybe Kemba with the extra caproom was part of the equation, with Powell, Kleber and KP re-signing afterward.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 01:09 PM   #63
Jack.Kerr
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac222b View Post
No it wasn’t exactly Barnes for Jackson/Wright. Delon was plan C or D. If Horford didn’t leave Boston unexpectedly then maybe Kemba with the extra caproom was part of the equation, with Powell, Kleber and KP re-signing afterward.
Walker was never coming to Dallas. I'm coming to believe they didn't even expect him to.

Otherwise, I agree; max KP, re-sign Powell, Kleber; then Curry, Wright, Boban. Tread water while KP rehabs.

Last edited by Jack.Kerr; 12-02-2019 at 01:10 PM.
Old 12-02-2019, 01:42 PM   #64
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

We are the 4th seed and 7 games over .500 and playing the regrets game?
Old 12-02-2019, 03:11 PM   #65
Jack.Kerr
Golden Member

Quote:
We are the 4th seed and 7 games over .500 and playing the regrets game?
Good enough is the enemy of great, and a schedule skewed toward sub-.500 teams should be taken with a grain of salt.
Old 12-02-2019, 04:33 PM   #66
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I see a lot of people talking about the Mavericks needing to upgrade their roster; I agree. But I don't see a blockbuster deal in the Mavs' near future, so any upgrade is going to be 'marginal'.
Did you see the Porzingis trade happening? I sure didn't. We have absolutely no idea what the trade/free agent market will be like for the Mavs over the next 5 years. And even so, if every upgrade is going to be marginal, then you can do it for a hell of a lot less than what Barnes costs.

Quote:
It seems like that by trading Barnes, the Mavs always intended to be taking one (or two) steps back now, in order to take one step forward in the future. That's losing ground, not gaining ground.
Are we thinking of the same Harrison Barnes? The Harrison Barnes I saw play here for 2 1/2 years was a big "meh." Seriously, how much better do you think we would be with Barnes in the lineup right now? How much ground do you think we lost? I'm not sure we lost any at all. If losing Harrison Barnes is some kind of major difference-making blow for your team, then your team was never very good and wasn't going anywhere to begin with.

Quote:
Good enough is the enemy of great, and a schedule skewed toward sub-.500 teams should be taken with a grain of salt.
Does that mean we'd be "great" with Harrison Barnes, but we're only "good enough" now? As I said, Harrison Barnes is nobody's difference between good and great. If he was, then you were definitely not great, and you probably weren't that good.

We just had two blowout wins against two of the best teams in the league- Rockets and Lakers. For a team that was expected to barely be .500 this year and struggle for the 8th seed, I'd say we're way ahead of schedule.
Old 12-02-2019, 04:35 PM   #67
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Does that mean we'd be "great" with Harrison Barnes, but we're only "good enough" now? As I said, Harrison Barnes is nobody's difference between good and great. If he was, then you were definitely not great, and you probably weren't that good.

We just had two blowout wins against two of the best teams in the league- Rockets and Lakers. For a team that was expected to barely be .500 this year and struggle for the 8th seed, I'd say we're way ahead of schedule.
Well said.
Old 12-02-2019, 04:37 PM   #68
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac222b View Post
I don't know that Delon was even plan F, but that wasn't my point. My point wasn't what the Mavs plan was, it's what the final result was. The final result was that this year's roster has Jackson and Delon instead of Barnes. I'm perfectly fine with this.

Now, would I give my left nut to have Kemba on this team? Hell yes. I think we'd be title contenders right now if we did. But as Jack already said, it was never gonna happen. I'm more disappointed that we couldn't land Malcolm Brogdon, but I don't think the Mavs were in a position to outbid the Pacers.

Last edited by Thespiralgoeson; 12-02-2019 at 04:58 PM.
Old 12-02-2019, 04:42 PM   #69
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

per 36 stats this year

Harrison Barnes
17pts
5reb
1 steal
1.4 turnovers
50% FG
39% from three
80% from FT

Jackson
18points
7rebounds
1 steal
0.6 turnovers
50% FG
47% from three
82% from FT

I mean Jackson is criminally underplayed, but he seems to be at least on par even if we just traded Jackson for Barnes. Jackson is a better three point shooter, better rebounder, turns it over less, and shoots freethrows better.

Add Wright who we got via the $$ we saved, and I'd say we won that Barnes trade personally.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 12-02-2019 at 04:43 PM.
Old 12-02-2019, 04:59 PM   #70
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
per 36 stats this year

Harrison Barnes
17pts
5reb
1 steal
1.4 turnovers
50% FG
39% from three
80% from FT

Jackson
18points
7rebounds
1 steal
0.6 turnovers
50% FG
47% from three
82% from FT

I mean Jackson is criminally underplayed, but he seems to be at least on par even if we just traded Jackson for Barnes. Jackson is a better three point shooter, better rebounder, turns it over less, and shoots freethrows better.

Add Wright who we got via the $$ we saved, and I'd say we won that Barnes trade personally.
This.
Old 12-02-2019, 05:08 PM   #71
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Yeah, I mean, if Jackson got 35 minutes like Barnes, then he would almost certainly average 15-17 ppg.

But there is still only one thing that mattered most. Barnes and Luka were a bad fit. /discussion

Old 12-02-2019, 10:55 PM   #72
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Almost feel sorry for DSJ
Old 12-02-2019, 11:10 PM   #73
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

I know it's fun for people to kick DSJ while he is down, but he was still decent his rookie year. He is in the worst situation in perhaps basketball history. I mean, my god, their prized rookie Barrett was 0-9. How that sorry excuse for a coach still has a job is pretty amazing. Dolan is the new Sterling. Yikes.

Old 12-03-2019, 03:28 AM   #74
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Still dont care much about DSJ after his bullshit with staying Home healthy.
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 09:21 AM   #75
Jack.Kerr
Golden Member

Quote:
Did you see the Porzingis trade happening? I sure didn't. We have absolutely no idea what the trade/free agent market will be like for the Mavs over the next 5 years. And even so, if every upgrade is going to be marginal, then you can do it for a hell of a lot less than what Barnes costs.
Man, you can only rely on the ineptitude of NYKs' management so much, and perhaps not for much longer. I'd prefer a more systematic approach, and I can live with incrementalist.

Quote:
Are we thinking of the same Harrison Barnes? The Harrison Barnes I saw play here for 2 1/2 years was a big "meh." Seriously, how much better do you think we would be with Barnes in the lineup right now? How much ground do you think we lost? I'm not sure we lost any at all. If losing Harrison Barnes is some kind of major difference-making blow for your team, then your team was never very good and wasn't going anywhere to begin with.
That's what I would've liked to've seen. Yeah, I think they'd be better. Interesting (to me) to see HB used properly as a 3, bookended by Luka and KP, instead of.....a 20-year old Bullet shooting his way out of Dallas, Mes Watthews shooting his way out of Dallas, 40-year old Dirk shooting his way into NBA history, and 19 year-old Luka shooting for ROY.

As it is, pretty much anyone watching thinks they need to upgrade the talent alongside KP and LD. Disclosure: At the time of the HB trade, I thought KP would be well further along by now, didn't anticipate that he wouldn't be able to shoulder the load. As it's playing out, HB would be more valuable as KP finds his groove.

JAX may turn into a nice role player, but he doesn't look like a starter, even less so on a playoff contender; same for Wright, Curry, and Boban, in descending degree of potential. They traded a proven, legit starter in Barnes for journeymen reserves. That, IMO, is moving the wrong way, from a talent standpoint. I'll reserve judgment on the 'value' aspect for awhile longer.

Quote:

No, the point was that they downgraded the talent on the roster with the Barnes <-> Jackson trade (Fantasy Per 36 numbers, be damned.) The anticipation (among fans, at least) was that they'd make a significant acquisition in free agency. The results, Wright, Boban, Curry, were more afterthought piecemeal patches than 'significant', and for almost equal money (~$24M). Jackson, Wright, Boban, Curry all offer some journeyman skills, but none of them look to be legit starters, and none of them will play at the level of a player like Barnes.

Quote:

Two quality wins, I agree. And it's fine to enjoy them, and the nice 13-6 record (for what it is, coming with a favorable schedule against sub-.500 teams). The next 10 games are going to provide a gravity test, however, and I think that talent wins out in the NBA more often than not.

Last edited by Jack.Kerr; 12-03-2019 at 11:28 AM.
Old 12-03-2019, 09:38 AM   #76
Jack.Kerr
Golden Member

Why is it people always resort to "per 36" fantasy stats to bolster an argument for a player who can't get actual playing time? Why don't people just make a realistic assessment of what's keeping a player off the floor? I still remeber the abusrdity from several years ago of people projecting Raef LaFrentz's numbers greatness on a Per 48 basis; problem was, of course, that he was fouling at a rate that would limit him to maybe 31-32 minutes.

Doing a quick eyeball of Jackson's numbers over the last 3 years, shows that when he gets ~30mpg, he averages ~10ppg. Only when you look at his absolute best scoring games does he manage to average 15-ish; can't necessarily tell to what extent these were garbage numbers in blowouts. He's got a very nice (if somewhat old-mannish) 3-pt shot, and a variety of soft-touch shots. The 3-pointer looks a little low and a little slow, and remains to be seen if he can get it off consistently against tight defense.

So what keeps him out of the starting lineup, and off the floor? Defensive inattention? Lethargy on the defensive end of the floor? Slow-footedness? Physical weakness? Take your pick.

Quote:
per 36 stats this year

Harrison Barnes
17pts
5reb
1 steal
1.4 turnovers
50% FG
39% from three
80% from FT

Jackson
18points
7rebounds
1 steal
0.6 turnovers
50% FG
47% from three
82% from FT

Last edited by Jack.Kerr; 12-03-2019 at 09:38 AM.
Old 12-03-2019, 11:40 AM   #77
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:

No, the point was that they downgraded the talent on the roster with the Barnes <-> Jackson trade (Fantasy Per 36 numbers, be damned.) The anticipation (among fans, at least) was that they'd make a significant acquisition in free agency. The results, Wright, Boban, Curry, were more afterthought piecemeal patches than 'significant', and for almost equal money (~$24M).
*shrug* Dunno what to tell ya. I think you are about the only one who thinks we lost much talent with Barnes. I don't think Barnes has that much talent or that we're noticeably less talented with Barnes than with Jackson/Wright. Talent does win out in the NBA. But Barnes isn't that talented, so I'm not concerned about the loss of his talent.

Quote:
Jackson, Wright, Boban, Curry all offer some journeyman skills, but none of them look to be legit starters, and none of them will play at the level of a player like Barnes.
Seriously, are we actually talking about the same person? Because "some journeyman skills" and "not a legit starter" is pretty much how I think of Barnes. He'd be a nice sixth man. When you say that none of them will "play at the level of a player like Barnes," the rest of us are sitting here scratching our heads thinking, "... that guy?" Seriously, "the level of a player like Barnes???"
Old 12-03-2019, 12:13 PM   #78
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Doing a quick eyeball of Jackson's numbers over the last 3 years, shows that when he gets ~30mpg, he averages ~10ppg.
I mean if you are going to make up/cherrypick stats and not post them, I might as well answer with real stats. Two years ago he was a rookie. Surely we don't want to judge him on those. Last year he spent most of the season with another team and then only got a few games with the new team.

When Jackson plays 20+ minutes this season (the only full season with the Mavs)
14.3pts, 4.0reb, 0.7ast
57% from the field. 53% from three
73.5% TS%

Source:
https://www.basketball-reference.com...01/splits/2020

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 12-03-2019 at 12:29 PM.
Old 12-03-2019, 12:38 PM   #79
Scoobay
Golden Member

Scoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant future

Quote:
*shrug* Dunno what to tell ya. I think you are about the only one who thinks we lost much talent with Barnes. I don't think Barnes has that much talent or that we're noticeably less talented with Barnes than with Jackson/Wright. Talent does win out in the NBA. But Barnes isn't that talented, so I'm not concerned about the loss of his talent.

Seriously, are we actually talking about the same person? Because "some journeyman skills" and "not a legit starter" is pretty much how I think of Barnes. He'd be a nice sixth man. When you say that none of them will "play at the level of a player like Barnes," the rest of us are sitting here scratching our heads thinking, "... that guy?" Seriously, "the level of a player like Barnes???"
FWIW - i think probably Barnes helps us out with winning more this year. Just thinking about who we have to be able to guard guys like LeBron and Kawhi and PG or even Giannis... one thing I appreciated about Barnes was that he was strong enough and stubborn enough to compete at least and had respect as a solid veteran.

I don't think we've got a good feel for the ceiling that guys like Jackson/Wright can reach. Probably the Mavs had a good understanding of what Barnes was capable of. I personally feel like barnes has probably peaked. he is what he is and probably is not going to elevate his game further. From that perspective, why not take a chance with some younger guys to see if you can find a better fit or unlocked potential?
Scoobay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 12:43 PM   #80
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Also FWIW, Jackson has a better individual defensive rating (106.8 vs. 107) and individual offensive rating (116.0 vs. 106.0) than Barnes.