Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-30-2004, 01:43 AM   #1
PubaNWO

PubaNWO is on a distinguished road
Default Dirk only Mav to really show up.....

....for the playoffs.

Everyone else just sucked or brought too little too late!

I blame Nellie.....bad coaching, bad guidance, no leadership, and many many miscalculations.

Hopefully next year he or his son will learn enough from it and this team will finally win the way they should......
PubaNWO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-2004, 02:14 AM   #2
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Dirk only Mav to really show up.....

Im bracing for a jab by Mavskiki

but was this thread really necessary? You've already said that in every other thread.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 02:34 AM   #3
PubaNWO

PubaNWO is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Dirk only Mav to really show up.....

I felt it had to stand on its own.

Dirk was awesome this series. Just one bad game [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

He should have a much better year next year as the focal point of the offense.
PubaNWO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 04:13 AM   #4
TwoDeep3

TwoDeep3 will become famous soon enoughTwoDeep3 will become famous soon enough

So exactly how awesome was Dirk when the entire post-season was on the line and it was make the shot or go home?
Old 04-30-2004, 04:34 AM   #5
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

He was as good as he could be. What is your point exactly? Are you a Mavericks fan? Should we trade Nowitzki then? What do you want? Is he not the best player on this damn team? Basketball is a team game, he did his part. You should be happy you don't have a whinny a-hole as your team's star. Watch the last shot from the camera to the right of the basket from the baseline and tell me he didn't get hammered there. Did he complain? No. Did he make excuses? No.

Once again, basketball is a team game. If you have a solution for Dirk not being a good enough player for us to win an NBA title, I'll be glad to hear it. He scored 31 points, his shot wasn't falling, he drove to the basket and got fouled. He worked his ass off pulling down 14 rebounds, he made our last basket to put us within one. He made all his threes. He made all his free throws. HE LEFT IT ALL OUT ON THE FLOOR.

Are you a Mavs fan?
Old 04-30-2004, 04:36 AM   #6
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

Heck I have a problem when of all people charles barkley gives dirk nowitzki credit and I have to come to this forum and hear someone who I'm assuming is a mavs fan question him.
Old 04-30-2004, 04:36 AM   #7
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

Well, TwoDeep, let's review:

Finley lost the ball 20 feet from the basket.

Nash took a shot with a guy 10 inches taller draped over him, 20 feet from the basket.

Dirk got a mostly open look on a fadeaway, 17 feet from the basket.

I'd say Dirk fared better than any of our other options.

Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 04:39 AM   #8
TwoDeep3

Yes, I am a Mavs fan.

But my point, which will be lambasted by the usual suspects, is this.

Dirk doesn't have the personality to be the undisputed leader of this team.

And I don't believe he will develope this killer instinct he needs to take charge of the team.

Old 04-30-2004, 07:58 AM   #9
bernardos70
Diamond Member

And do you perhaps have a suggestion as to any possible way out of this seemingly dead-end? Do we trade our best player away? Will we never ever win a championship while he's here and that's it? Should we trade him for someone perhaps? What realistic trade scenario do you suggest? Do you plan on hanging around the forum and say "told you so" after every loss? Will the Mavericks turn into a Los Angeles Clippers? What are you trying to accomplish by blasting your favorite team's best player over and over?

He didn't make the last shot. Stuff happens. He came through for us many times before. I'm not sure you'd make the playoffs without this guy. I'm sure he's not good enough for you, but I saw him try his best, and that's all I can hope for from the best player on the team.

He missed the last shot. But we didn't lose the game because of that.
Old 04-30-2004, 08:13 AM   #10
Bookit
Diamond Member

Bookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally posted by: TwoDeep3
Yes, I am a Mavs fan.

And I don't believe he will develope this killer instinct he needs to take charge of the team.
What game did you watch? Dirk was playing like a mad man. I can't tell you how many times Dirk came out of a group of 3 Kings with a rebound. We are lucky to have someone of his caliber playing for the Mavs.

Bookit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 08:18 AM   #11
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Bookit
Quote:
Yes, I am a Mavs fan.

What game did you watch? Dirk was playing like a mad man. I can't tell you how many times Dirk came out of a group of 3 Kings with a rebound. We are lucky to have someone of his caliber playing for the Mavs.

Dirk was only 4-5 for 8 points with 7 boards in the 4th. He should have been 10-10 in the fourth for 25 points to go along with 10 boards.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 08:42 AM   #12
Epitome22
Golden Member

Epitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the rough

I've always been critical of Dirk's willingness to lead the team but he did everything you could possibly expect from him these playoffs. I have few if any complaints.
Epitome22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 10:00 AM   #13
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

There were four games in this series in which the Mavs lost where Dirk repeatedly called for the ball in the 4th. The one game in which he was actually off from the floor, the mavs felt the need to feed him late. The other three games, the Mavs decided to go another direction.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 05:15 PM   #14
TwoDeep3

Murphy, you have accused Nellie of being an idiot for not using Dirk in crunch time.

There are so many posts with this topic, they make up the majority of posts on this board for the last two years.

So here we have it. Primetime live and the ball is in Dirk's hands. The game and series and season on the line and it clangs off the front iron.

The barc-o-lounger coaches of the year have set the edict that if the stupiest coach to win over 1000 games in the NBA would just follow thier sage advice, then smiles would be worn all around.

The smiles are on the faces of the Kings today because Mighty Casey Struck Out.

It is not as simple as the hindsight set seem to think it is.

You scream at your TV with the hubris of fans that think they know.

It didn't work out well for you last night in the very scenario you set up.

Just give Dirk the ball.

He got it. He missed it.

Hello off-season.

This just proves the point I have been making. You people don't know, but you act as if you do.

Old 04-30-2004, 05:23 PM   #15
mavsman55
Platinum Member

mavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Yes, I am a Mavs fan.

I honestly don't understand how you can watch Dirk lead this team basically by himself through this entire series and play with more heart and soul than any other player on the floor, and still say things like this. BTW, he got fouled on that last shot. Peja slapped him in the arm. I'm not being a sore loser, just watch the replay.
mavsman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 05:24 PM   #16
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
There are so many posts with this topic, they make up the majority of posts on this board for the last two years.

So here we have it. Primetime live and the ball is in Dirk's hands. The game and series and season on the line and it clangs off the front iron.

The barc-o-lounger coaches of the year have set the edict that if the stupiest coach to win over 1000 games in the NBA would just follow thier sage advice, then smiles would be worn all around.

The smiles are on the faces of the Kings today because Mighty Casey Struck Out.

It is not as simple as the hindsight set seem to think it is.

You scream at your TV with the hubris of fans that think they know.

It didn't work out well for you last night in the very scenario you set up.

Just give Dirk the ball.

He got it. He missed it.

Hello off-season.

This just proves the point I have been making. You people don't know, but you act as if you do.

he fact that Dirk missed the last shot doesn't mean he wasn't the right person to take it. I hope that's not your arguement.
Old 04-30-2004, 06:11 PM   #17
TwoDeep3

My point is this.

When the know-it-alls make these statements after a game that Nellie was an idiot because Dirk didn't take the winning shot, it isn't always the case.

Things are so black and white on this board about Nellie and Dirk.

Nellie equals idiot.

Dirk equals greatness.

Sometimes the players just come up short.

But when you are hindsighting the game and making these concrete comments about how the game was lost because Dirk wasn't shooting the ball when it was on the line...

Last night's results sort of took the wind out of those sails.

I am not assailing Dirk. I don't believe he is top five as so many here suggest.

But the geniuses who find Nellie to be stupid because Dirk wasn't shooting the ball, ignore the fact that when he does, sometimes he fails.

But that part is left out.

Old 04-30-2004, 07:08 PM   #18
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
But the geniuses who find Nellie to be stupid because Dirk wasn't shooting the ball, ignore the fact that when he does, sometimes he fails.
Why do you even post here? It's clear you don't read the board, otherwise you wouldn't have spit out this BS. I honestly cannot remember reading a single post from anybody who thought Dirk was guaranteed to make a last shot attempt. On the contrary, I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say that the overwhelming majority of those who were upset that Dirk didn't get the shot in Games 2 and 4 recognize, and in many cases have explicitly stated that the point isn't that Dirk will always make the shot. The point is that you put the ball in your best player's hands and you live or die with him.
Old 04-30-2004, 08:04 PM   #19
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

I can't believe that anyone is arguing about how Dirk missing a shot proves that Nellie is a Genius for not giving the ball to Dirk for the final shot most of the time. Dirk should not only be taking the final shot, but should be taking most of the shots down the stretch. I would say at least 70% to 80% of the time Dirk should be getting the shot unless he's doubled or tripled which would leave at least 1 player wide open.

We had 3 chances in this series to win the game on the final shot. Dirk only got the opportunity 1 time. That was incredibly stupid IMO. Had Dirk recieved all 3 chances, I highly doubt that he would have missed all 3. Of course that would mean consistentcy, and Nellie would die before allowing that to happen.

When Murphy repeats ad auseum that Dirk needs to get the ball for the final shot and during the stretch, he does make a great point. That should be something that this team does automatically whenever they need a key basket and Dirk is on the floor. The more that the Mavs go to Dirk in these situations the more successful they will be. The do or die shot to stay in the playoffs is not the time to start experimenting with this, no that time is the 1st preseason game of the year and should continue until the last playoff game of the year. To do otherwise is idiotic at best.
Old 04-30-2004, 09:27 PM   #20
Max Power
Banned

Max Power is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Yes, I am a Mavs fan.

Dirk might take the NBA a little more seriously if his best friend wasn't on the team anymore.
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote