Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 08-23-2004, 11:02 PM   #1
dmavsfan

dmavsfan is on a distinguished road
Default Gold, Silver, and Bronze. Can U Pick em?

I don't know if it can go this way, but I will pick:

Lithuania - Gold
Spain - Silver
Argentina - Bronze
Old 08-23-2004, 11:48 PM   #2
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Gold, Silver, and Bronze. Can U Pick em?

USA - Gold
Lithuania - Silver
Argentina - Bronze

I know its a long shot with this group of talent, but I wont bet against the USA!
Old 08-23-2004, 11:56 PM   #3
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Gold, Silver, and Bronze. Can U Pick em?

Spain- Gold
China- Silver
Lithuania- Bronze
USA- "Thanks for playing" ribbon
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 11:58 PM   #4
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

this is such a black eye.....

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 12:04 AM   #5
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

Its one and done. Lithuania played a perfect game to beat us and the Americans have yet to play such a game. In fact we haven't come even close to playing up to our potential.

USA Gold
Lithuania-Silver
Spain- Bronze
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 12:18 AM   #6
OzMavs
Platinum Member

OzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud of

Gold- Lithuania
Silver- Spain
Bronze- Argentina

I'd be surprised if US beat Spain in the Quarters. Male23Dan and Jayc, US and Spain play each other in the quarter finals, so both cannot finish in the medals, so you might like to revise your standings.

I'll buy you a drink: HERE

NOW WITH FREE REP WITH EVERY DRINK!!
OzMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 12:43 AM   #7
Rod1975
Golden Member

Rod1975 is on a distinguished road

Gold-Spain...nobody for Lithuania has an answer for Gasol, and unlike Tim Duncan, he has outside shooters to go to.
Silver-Lithuania...best olympic finish ever for the country of 3.5 million.
Bronze-Argentina...Manu and company get the consolation.

Old 08-24-2004, 01:16 AM   #8
Rod1975
Golden Member

Hey EL, China and Lithuania meet in the Quarters, so both cannot medal. You might like to change your picks as well.

The matchups are as follows: Spain vs. USA, Lithuania vs. China, Argentina vs. Greece, and Puerto Rico vs. Italy.
Old 08-24-2004, 06:51 AM   #9
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Time to make a bold prediction:

Gold - Italy
Silver - USA
Bronze - Argentina

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 10:43 AM   #10
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Gold - Spain
Silver - Argentina
Bronze - Lithuania

Seeing red - USA

for everything else there's Mastercard
Old 08-24-2004, 01:01 PM   #11
dmavsfan

Male23Dan-

If the US beats Spain they have as good a shot as anyone. It's possible with Duncan and Iverson (is Iverson starting to mature by the way?). I don't like much of the rest of the team though.
Old 08-24-2004, 02:16 PM   #12
Sinn Fein

Sinn Fein is on a distinguished road

Gold- Lithuania
Silver- Spain
Bronze- Italy
Sinn Fein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 02:17 PM   #13
Sinn Fein

Sinn Fein is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: jayC
Its one and done. Lithuania played a perfect game to beat us and the Americans have yet to play such a game. In fact we haven't come even close to playing up to our potential.

USA Gold
Lithuania-Silver
Spain- Bronze
No, Lithuania didn't play a perfect game, they had loads of to's. The US actually shot good too.
Sinn Fein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 03:45 AM   #14
Quetzalcoatl

Quetzalcoatl is a jewel in the roughQuetzalcoatl is a jewel in the roughQuetzalcoatl is a jewel in the roughQuetzalcoatl is a jewel in the rough

Gold - Spain
Silver - Lithuania
Bronze - Argentina

At least it's what I dream. I'm spanish! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Go Spain! Go Mavs!
Quetzalcoatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 04:59 PM   #15
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: mary
Time to make a bold prediction:

Gold - Italy
Silver - USA
Bronze - Argentina

Hmmm...actually not bad..I think I picked the right teams, but I should've switched the bottomw two. I think Italy will beat Argentina tommorow and USA will get its revenge on Lithuania.

So my revised prediction after the end of Semifinals:

Gold - Italy
Silver - Argentina
Bronze - USA

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 06:18 PM   #16
mavsman

mavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to behold

Argentinia
Italy
Lithuania
mavsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 11:53 PM   #17
dmavsfan

Sorry. No revising picks now! I think that Mary won our little poll though. Great picks Mary! It will be hard for the USA and Lithuania to get up for that game tomorrow.

I think that the Team USA players should get a medal for just going to the Olympics. With all of the crazy stuff going on in the world these guys showed a lot of courage to just go. Look at all of the others who did not even go. And I don't think you can fault the effort. The rest of the world has caught up, but America is still the front runner.
Old 08-28-2004, 12:55 AM   #18
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: sike
this is such a black eye.....
yup

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 09:22 PM   #19
Rod1975
Golden Member

I think Italy went vastly overlooked. Other than Mary and Sinn Fein nobody even put them in the medal picture.
They just kept quietly rolling along. Silver is a big deal for them.

Argentina however, has never medaled in Olympic basketball before. Good times in Argentina...football and basketball gold.

Manu Ginobili was the only NBA player in the gold medal game as well. Pretty humbling.

I'll also agree that NBA officiating has been exposed by the Olympics. I realize that some of the rules are different, but a foul is a foul is a foul.
Tim Duncan was quoted as saying he is "95% sure " his FIBA career is over. I don't blame him, I would'nt want to tarnish my MVP image by exposing my weaknesses in international play.
Old 08-29-2004, 01:14 AM   #20
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I'll also agree that NBA officiating has been exposed by the Olympics. I realize that some of the rules are different, but a foul is a foul is a foul.
Tim Duncan was quoted as saying he is "95% sure " his FIBA career is over. I don't blame him, I would'nt want to tarnish my MVP image by exposing my weaknesses in international play.
I detest that the NBA let's their marketing department decide how fouls are called. I'll be happy if the USA never wins another medal in men's basketball if it could lead to changing the NBA method of callide fouls.

And I agree Tim Duncan and many of the current NBA superstars are not half as good without the NBA refs proping them up.