Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 06-04-2003, 09:39 PM   #41
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sammy Sosa

Quote:
Originally posted by: Murphy3
One last thing... Sammy Sosa is a total fraud. He is a lying, cheating sorry @ss bast@rd that does nothing actually for the fans..
Everything he does is so that he can better the way he looks to the media/fans.. Why? Because it translates into money

Actually, he provides a shitload of game tickets for underprivileged kids, he signs autographs before every home game and he is pretty charitable from what I have heard. But...he still used a corked bat. I'm not ready to crucify him, but he certainly cheated...accident or not.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-2003, 10:43 PM   #42
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of
Default RE: Sammy Sosa

This kind of situation would make you think about other player's corking bats, not just Sosa. Because lets say this would've happened to Shawn Green. People would immediately be thinking of the "what ifs." Like after Bonds had the 73hr season, the league had started making a strong push for "random" steroids testing.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2003, 10:58 PM   #43
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light
Default Sammy Sosa

Quote:
nothing brings me more joy than to find out that Sosa is a cheater.

there's no baseball player that i like less than sammy sosa....fine him and suspend him for the rest of the season for disrespecting the great game
I am with you on this Murph. It is a great game and probably has more history to it more than any sport in the world.

Its a disgrace to do something like that by Sosa. I am a huge Mc Guire and Stl Cardinals and hated Sosa all my life.

Old 06-04-2003, 11:43 PM   #44
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts

I wonder, how much muscle made by mean of anabolic steroids do Mc Guire, Bonds, Sosa (and Canseco) have?

I also wonder, how many HR's could have hit Roger Maris with the same help?
Old 06-05-2003, 04:24 AM   #45
Epitome22
Golden Member

Epitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the rough
Default Sammy Sosa

I hope it was an accident. If not, it's another Black eye for a dying game. Even if the corked bat doesen't do damage, the obvious steroid implications do.

Other than that I have nothing against Sammy Sosa as a player or a person. He signed 12 personalized autographs for my aunt upon near demand for free (If you know my aunt) and posed in a picture with her. My autograph says

To Dustin: Stay Good man, and keep your head up.

Sammy Sosa

Not exactly shakespeare but nice enough.
Epitome22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 08:10 AM   #46
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Sammy Sosa

Sosa gives tickets to underpriviledged kids just to make him look better.

He's a wife beater.
He has used a corked bat.

He is a fraud
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 08:12 AM   #47
Ummmmm Ok
Platinum Member

Ummmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to all

I think Murph has some issues with Sosa.... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Too many leaders act as if the sheep.. their people.. are there for the benefit of the shepherd, not that the shepherd has responsibility for the sheep. Ken Blanchard

What we think determines what happens to us, so if we want to change our lives, we need to stretch our minds. Wayne Dyer

These are things that I read and live by!
Ummmmm Ok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 09:09 AM   #48
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Sammy Sosa

I have issues with players that cheat & beat their wife (with a wine bottle)

especially when the same players is praised as such a wonderful person..such a great ambassador for the game.

He's a fake..a fraud. the only reason he ever does anything for the fans is to make his own sorry ass look better.
Old 06-05-2003, 09:09 AM   #49
Drbio
Banned

Default Sammy Sosa

mavsfanforever- you want to crucify Sosa for a corked bat and overlook McGuire's transgressions with Andro and steroids? Interesting double standard.
Old 06-05-2003, 09:37 AM   #50
COOLJAZZ

COOLJAZZ is on a distinguished road
Default Sammy Sosa

Sure we all are entitled to our opinions. But there are some very strong (borderline personal) comments being made here.

What did Sosa do? He used a corked bat in a sanctioned MLB game. Did he do it on purpose? Does it matter to anyone whether he did or not? I mean where is all this hate comming from? I can say (including myself) that everyone on this board has made a mistake (intentional or accidental)...would you want to be demonized or ostrisized for your mistake (intentional or accidental).

I am disapointed that this incident occured. Him being known as a homerun hitter he should've never allowed the chance of this happening. He could've painted the bat yellow or something. Sosa made an error in judgement. This will scar his place in history. That, IMO is more than enough punishment for him.
Old 06-05-2003, 09:45 AM   #51
Ummmmm Ok
Platinum Member

Ummmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to all
Default Sammy Sosa

Holy crap.......Someone other than me "actually" thinks this might be a mistake..... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Too many leaders act as if the sheep.. their people.. are there for the benefit of the shepherd, not that the shepherd has responsibility for the sheep. Ken Blanchard

What we think determines what happens to us, so if we want to change our lives, we need to stretch our minds. Wayne Dyer

Old 06-05-2003, 09:57 AM   #52
Murphy3
Guru

Default Sammy Sosa

Mark McGwire isn't as much of a fraud as sosa..but he is one as well IMO.
McGwire at least didn't act like he was doing everything for the fans.. he's a horses ass and let everyone know it.
Old 06-05-2003, 10:31 AM   #53
signoftimes

signoftimes is on a distinguished road
Default Sammy Sosa

Anyone watch Lettermna last night? my favorite is #3.

Top Ten Sammy Sosa Explanations

10. "My mind was clouded by the anabolic steroids"

9. "Damn Al-Qaeda"

8. "I may be a strong guy, but those bats is heavy"

7. "I wanted to catch the premiere of 'American Juniors' -- man, those kids can sing!"

6. "Hans Blix checked my bat for three months without finding any cork"

5. "Wanted to do something to take the heat off my girlfriend, Martha Stewart"

4. "Threat of rain necessitated a more buoyant bat"

3. "If you hit home runs you get paid $20 million a year, dumb ass"

2. "I was Punk'd"

1. "Pete Rose bet me I wouldn't do it"

signoftimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 10:41 AM   #54
Murphy3
Guru

Default Sammy Sosa

i find it hard to believe that anyone would buy into his excuse.

he "accidentally" picked up the wrong bat..his batting practice bat.
that explanation is laughable.

He and his agent spoke between the time the incident occurred and the time he addressed the media..and that's what they came up with.

Pathetic
Old 06-05-2003, 01:57 PM   #55

Member will become famous soon enoughMember will become famous soon enough
Default Sammy Sosa

i heard some players/former players say that after batting practice u go to the locker room and put your BP bats up

i dont know how he forgot to put his BP bat up since he should have been doing it for years

i admit it could have been a freaky accident, but no matter how u slice it, cheating is cheating
Member is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 02:02 PM   #56
Ummmmm Ok
Platinum Member

Let me get back into this thread.

1) yes, sammy should get suspended for using an illegal bat. He will probably get 8-12 days and its a just penalty. He used an illegal bat either way you look at it and he should the suspension that follows.

2) I still don't think that people should throw stones at him until it is without a doubt proven that he did this on purpose.

Old 06-05-2003, 02:56 PM   #57
Murphy3
Guru

Default Sammy Sosa

there is no justifiable reason to have a corked bat.
He is guilty beyond all reasonable doubt.

I hope the Hall of Fame voters hold this against him.
Old 06-05-2003, 03:10 PM   #58
Ummmmm Ok
Platinum Member

But there are no laws/rules says he can't own one or use it during batting practice...

Old 06-05-2003, 06:16 PM   #59
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

Murph i got a question for you, why would he intentionally use a corked bat in a regular, meaningless season game? It's not like it was the World Series.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 07:05 PM   #60
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light
Default Sammy Sosa

Quote:
Originally posted by: Drbio
mavsfanforever- you want to crucify Sosa for a corked bat and overlook McGuire's transgressions with Andro and steroids? Interesting double standard.

If proven Mc Guire has done those things I would say the same thing. No double standards here.
Old 06-05-2003, 07:53 PM   #61
Drbio
Banned

Default Sammy Sosa

McGuire has admitted to those things several times.
Old 06-05-2003, 08:22 PM   #62
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

Default Sammy Sosa

Quote:
I need a link.
Old 06-06-2003, 08:19 AM   #63
Murphy3
Guru

Default Sammy Sosa

McGwire was ripped for using a legal substance...and rightfully so in my opinion.

Sosa is proven to be a cheater and should be ripped. It's not up to anyone to prove that he's guilty...he has already done so by using a corked bat.

Why would he feel that he needed to use a corked bat? He's in a horrendous slump. He makes his name..his money by hitting home runs. He isn't doing that this year.
Old 06-06-2003, 10:45 AM   #64
Drbio
Banned

Default Sammy Sosa

Quote:
Originally posted by: mavsfanforever
Quote:
I need a link.
Find it yourself. I'm not drudging all that crap up again. it was discussed ad naseum before.
Old 06-06-2003, 11:43 AM   #65
Ummmmm Ok
Platinum Member

Sosa suspended for using corked bat

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ESPN.com news services

CHICAGO -- Sammy Sosa was suspended for eight games by Major League Baseball on Friday for using a corked bat.

The Cubs slugger will appeal the suspension, said Jim Hendry, the team's general manager. The appeal will make Sosa available for a four-game series against the New York Yankees.

"We support him in his appeal," Hendry said. "We have no reason to believe it was anything more than a one-time incident. We will support him and his right to exercise and appeal."

The appeal had to be filed before Friday's game so Sosa could play.

A piece of cork was found just above the handle in Sosa's bat Tuesday night when it shattered after he grounded out in the first inning of the Chicago Cubs' 3-2 victory over Tampa Bay.

Sosa insisted it was a one-time mistake, saying he accidentally pulled out a bat he uses to put on home run displays for fans in batting practice.

The Hall of Fame ran the five Sosa bats it has through X-rays and CT scans, and none showed signs of cork or anything else that would violate baseball rules.

Baseball officials also tested 76 of Sosa's bats they confiscated from his locker and found no cork in any of them. The bats have been returned to Sosa

Old 06-06-2003, 01:21 PM   #66
Murphy3
Guru

Default Sammy Sosa

8 games is not enough.

baseball needed to take a stand.
Being spineless only pushes fans further away
Old 06-07-2003, 10:56 AM   #67
Murphy3
Guru

with sammy appealing his suspension..it just shows how fake his apology was.

I sincerely hope that no one here buys into the fraud that is sammy sosa.
Old 06-09-2003, 05:17 PM   #68
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

i agree with you murph, on that last point. he knows he had the bat. he needs to take his suspension and deal with it.

but is he actually appealing, or is the player's union? cause the player's union normally automatically appeals all suspensions.
Old 06-09-2003, 09:49 PM   #69
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

Default Sammy Sosa

Quote:
with sammy appealing his suspension..it just shows how fake his apology was.

I sincerely hope that no one here buys into the fraud that is sammy sosa.
I second that. If he apologizes for something he should take the suspension (8 games are too less- he should have been asked to pay his entire year's salary to some charity or something).
Old 06-09-2003, 09:59 PM   #70
Murphy3
Guru

i think the union automatically appeals..but the player has the choice on whether or not he actually wants to start serving the suspension..he can override the appeal, in essence
Old 06-09-2003, 10:01 PM   #71
Murphy3
Guru

another thing..

something i heard on the radio by a former major league player...can't remember who, but i whole heartedly agree.

Either sammy sosa is one of the dumbest people in the world
or
He knew the bat was corked.

His choice. Now, he has told us that he didn't know the bat was corked. Well, I guess he doesn't mind coming off like one of the dumbest people in the world..but, we all know that isn't the case.. he is a lying, wife beating cheater that should have had his suspension doubled because he has the audacity to appeal the freaking suspension
Old 06-09-2003, 10:02 PM   #72
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

Default Sammy Sosa

Quote:
i think the union automatically appeals..but the player has the choice on whether or not he actually wants to start serving the suspension..he can override the appeal, in essence
Sometimes I get the feeling that the league wants him to not override the suspension. It just makes Yankee/Cubs that much more interesting. Considering Clemens going for 300 and to add a spice to that Sosa appealing. I am guessing we will see a lot of Cubs games on national TV for a while.
Old 06-10-2003, 05:11 PM   #73
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

Default Sammy Sosa

link

Sosa's appeal to be heard today in Baltimore

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ESPN.com news services

Sammy Sosa's appeal of his eight-game suspension for using a corked bat will be heard Tuesday in Baltimore an an undisclosed location, the Chicago Cubs announced.

Major League Baseball's chief operating officer, Bob DuPuy, will hear the appeal. The Cubs said that a decision regarding the appeal is not expected on Tuesday.

The Cubs begin a three-game series against the Orioles at Camden Yards starting Tuesday night. Sosa read a statement about his appeal Tuesday afternoon at Camden Yards and apologized again for his actions. The Cubs said it would be the only time Sosa will comment during the series.

Sosa was suspended for eight games Friday by Bob Watson, baseball's vice president in charge of discipline, but the appeal allows him to play until he has a hearing and a ruling is made.

He was ejected from a game against Tampa Bay on June 3 when his bat shattered after hitting a ground ball and umpires discovered cork halfway up the handle of the bat.

Tests on 76 bats taken from Sosa's locker and five more of his at the Hall of Fame found no foreign substances. Sosa claims he mistakenly grabbed a bat he uses for batting practice and used it in the game.

"We support him in his appeal," Cubs general manager Jim Hendry said. "We have no reason to believe it was anything more than a one-time incident as he described it. We will support him and his rights that he exercises to appeal, and hopefully have his suspension reduced."

Sosa's agent, Tom Reich, told ESPN.com's Jayson Stark that while the eight-game suspension was within range of previous suspensions for this offense, Sosa decided to appeal because they believe the penalty to be "on the high side" of that range. So they will try to get the suspension reduced by a game or two, which would bring it even with most of the other bat-tampering suspensions of the last 15 years.

"But this is not a hostile proceeding," Reich said. "We do believe some of the treatment of Sammy has been hostile -- not just by the media, but in the court of public opinion. But this is not going to be a hostile process. It's simply an opportunity for the union and Sammy to present a fair defense. And that's all we ask."

Reich said Sosa acknowledges that "a mistake was made, and a rule was broken," that there was "no question there was going to be a suspension" and that once a decision is made on the appeal, "everybody will abide by it."

It's likely that in Sosa's appeal, his agents and the union will attempt to contrast his behavior with the behavior of Albert Belle, who was suspended for only six days (but seven games) after having his bat confiscated in 1994. Belle's teammate, Jason Grimsley, has admitted crawling through the ceiling of Jacobs Field to the umpire's room and switching the corked bat with another bat.

Sosa's side will certainly be pointing out that at least Sosa immediately admitted he'd broken a rule and apologized, even though he contended he'd picked up the corked bat by mistake.

"We just want to make sure that everybody is on the same page with the evidence," Reich said, "and we want to make sure the evidence is viewed in context with previous (bat-tampering) incidents."

Old 06-10-2003, 05:39 PM   #74
Ummmmm Ok
Platinum Member

Default Sammy Sosa

Will this thread ever die?

Old 06-10-2003, 09:45 PM   #75
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

Default Sammy Sosa

The only thing I do not understand is the first time Sosa said I am sorry and I will abide by whatever MLB decides as a penalty. Well, MLB gave him an 8game suspension and he appeals. Now today he said the same thing again.
Old 06-11-2003, 02:45 PM   #76
signoftimes

signoftimes is on a distinguished road
Default Sammy Sosa

[quote]
Sosa suspension reduced to seven games
06/11/2003

By RICHARD DURRETT / Dallas Web Staff

Major League Baseball reduced Cubs outfielder Sammy Sosa’s suspension from eight games to seven a day after hearing his appeal in Baltimore.

Sosa, who was suspended for using a corked bat against the Tampa Bay Devil Rays on Tuesday, June 3 at Wrigley Field in Chicago, will begin serving the suspension tonight when the Cubs meet Baltimore.

“I am convinced of the sincerity of Sosa’s explanation and his contrition,” said MLB President and Chief Operating Officer Bob DuPuy in a released statement. “In my opinion, his candor and the promptness of his apology on the night of June 3 were exemplary. However, at the end of the day, each player must be accountable for his own equipment complying with the rules, whether the violation is deliberate or inadvertent. The suspensions over the past 20 years for the use of an illegal bat have ranged from seven to 10 games. Given the circumstances of this case, I felt that the lower end of the range was the most appropriate.”

Sosa was suspended Friday by Bob Watson, baseball’s vice president in charge of discipline, but by appealing Sosa was allowed to continue to play until the official ruling was made. He was ejected from the game last week after his bat shattered and umpires noticed the cork in the bat.

Sosa spoke to the media on Tuesday following his hearing with DuPuy and said he was ready to take his punishment.

“Whatever punishment they’re going to do, I accept it,” Sosa said.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

signoftimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2003, 03:03 PM   #77
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts

It's ridiculous.

In other cases the punishment has been 8 to 10 games (I don't remember the 7 case), and now it is reduced!

"Exemplary", what a way to slam the door.

But, what should we have waited? It would be naive to think that the MLB didn't know about Sosa's (and others) tricks to make the game more attractive for the disillusioned fans.

The HR battle (and plan) for breaking the Maris' mark was the most artificial thing that I can recall for boosting a professional sport.
Old 06-11-2003, 03:05 PM   #78
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Albert Belle got 7 games I believe.
Old 06-11-2003, 04:29 PM   #79
Murphy3
Guru

Default Sammy Sosa

sosa is a sorry SOB
Old 06-11-2003, 07:08 PM   #80
senorfrog

senorfrog is on a distinguished road
Default Sammy Sosa

Here's my take on Sosa. I really want to give him the benefit of a doubt. One corked bat out of 70+...Sosa's not stupid. If he's going to have a corked bat, he only needs ONE to do the job. Playing devil's advocate here, but if he knew his bat was corked, he has to know there's a chance he could get caught if his bat breaks. Thinking ahead, he knows that if by some small chance his bat breaks he sure as hell had better not have any other corked bats in his possession. He weighed out the risk versus return and decided to go with a corked bat to pop more balls out of the field. I say what MLB needs to do is analyze previous game tape to see if he has used this same bat in other games. Blow the film up and check the markings on the bat to see if its' the same. Surely not all his bats are the same, are they?