Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 10-17-2003, 02:05 PM   #1
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold
Default GM Survey Topic 5: Defense

GM Survey Topic 5: Defense

Who are the top players? Who is the best coach? Which team has the best chance of dethroning the Spurs? Which player would a GM sign first if he were starting a team today?
NBA.com posed questions to the league's general managers to learn what the men who make the personnel decisions in the NBA really think.

Ben Wallace Who will win Defensive Player of the Year?
Ben Wallace, Detroit 38.1%
Tim Duncan, San Antonio 19.0%
Kevin Garnett, Minnesota 14.3%
Others receiving votes: Gary Payton, L.A. Lakers; Theo Ratliff, Atlanta; Ron Artest, Indiana; Shaquille O'Neal, L.A. Lakers; Jason Kidd, New Jersey

Bruce Bowen Who is the NBA's best perimeter defender?
Bruce Bowen, San Antonio 28.6%
Ron Artest, Indiana 14.3%
Gary Payton, L.A. Lakers 14.3%
Others receiving votes: Jason Kidd, New Jersey; Doug Christie, Sacramento; Kobe Bryant, L.A. Lakers; Scottie Pippen, Chicago; Kenyon Martin, New Jersey; Shane Battier, Memphis

Ben Wallace Who is the NBA's best interior defender?
Ben Wallace, Detroit 71.4%
Shaquille O'Neal, L.A. Lakers 14.3%
* Three players tied 4.8%
* Kevin Garnett, Minnesota; Tim Duncan, San Antonio; Kenyon Martin, New Jersey

Old 10-17-2003, 02:20 PM   #2
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:GM Survey Topic 5: Defense

Best perimeter defender - To me it's absolutely Bruce Bowen.
Interior Defender - Depends. If we're talking toughest guy to post up I'd probably say Shaq, but his oafishness on perimeter help defense count against him, so I'll go with TD, who I think would also be me preseason pick for DPOY, though it'll be interesting to see how he does over the season without DRob. Wallace is great, too, but I think some of the attention he gets is due more to his lack of an offensive game than his defensive play (Eastern Conference might have something to do with his success, too).
Old 10-17-2003, 04:54 PM   #3
Shaq Attack2

Shaq Attack2 is on a distinguished road

Ben Wallace will definitely be DPY this year, but I think Kobe has a great chance at coming in 2nd now that he's lighter and won't need to score as much.
Shaq Attack2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 07:04 PM   #4
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts
Default RE: GM Survey Topic 5: Defense

- Wonder why there isn't any Mav named? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]

- Kobe named for perimeter defense. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 10-17-2003, 08:03 PM   #5
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally posted by: Shaq Attack2
Ben Wallace will definitely be DPY this year, but I think Kobe has a great chance at coming in 2nd now that he's lighter and won't need to score as much.
I really wonder why Ben Wallace is considered a good defensive player. Ben Wallace is a power forward or center. As a power forward, can he stop Garnett, Dirk or Duncan? Can he even slow them down? As a center, can be stop Shaq? I don't even think he can stop Vlade. He gets rebounds and he's tough but he's too slow to defend the good players at his position. As a rebounder, he's great but as a defender. Hmmm....

As for perimeter defenders, I think Artest can win it if he doesn't get into too much trouble.
Old 10-17-2003, 08:40 PM   #6
Shaq Attack2

Shaq Attack2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: Simon2
Quote:
I really wonder why Ben Wallace is considered a good defensive player. Ben Wallace is a power forward or center. As a power forward, can he stop Garnett, Dirk or Duncan? Can he even slow them down? As a center, can be stop Shaq? I don't even think he can stop Vlade. He gets rebounds and he's tough but he's too slow to defend the good players at his position. As a rebounder, he's great but as a defender. Hmmm....

As for perimeter defenders, I think Artest can win it if he doesn't get into too much trouble.
You've clearly never watched him play or have only watched him sparingly. Too slow? In what universe?
Shaq Attack2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 08:49 PM   #7
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by: Simon2
Quote:

You've clearly never watched him play or have only watched him sparingly. Too slow? In what universe?
This universe. He's fast enough to guard the less elite forwards but Dirk just raped him last year. Wallace is a good defender but he's by far not the best defender at power forward so how can he be the best defender if he's not even the best at his position?