Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 08-25-2004, 11:04 PM   #1
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dirk, time to take your best shot

I didn't see this posted yet. If it is, let me know and I'll delete this thread.

Dirk, time to take your best shot
With new-model Mavs, Nowitzki can't pass up this chance to dominate

Kevin Sherrington

Since the abject disappointment of the Mavericks' closeout last spring, Dirk Nowitzki has seen the roster turned over once again, spilling out his best friend with a splat.

A Mavs culture primer: Teenagers in a Wes Craven movie have better long-term prospects.

But the summer wasn't a total loss, either: At least Dirk doesn't have to apologize for his country's fate in the Olympics.

Maybe you noticed that the barnstormin' Bavarians put up a mean exhibition game with the Dream Team three weeks ago. Might have won it, too, if not for a circus shot that has pretty much been the highlight of the U.S. Olympic team's experience.

Nowitzki led all scorers in Germany's 80-77 loss with 32 points, including a 3-pointer with 3.2 seconds left and two guys on him like cigarette smoke.

Never mind that Allen Iverson made a running prayer to beat the boys from the Bundesliga at the buzzer.

Nowitzki made his point. Twice. First, he showed his ability to carry a team otherwise left in the hands of Steffen Hamann, let alone Steve Nash.

And then he proved prophetic when someone asked what he thought of U.S. chances in the Olympics.

"If they sent Kevin Garnett and Kobe and everyone else, no one in the world would have a chance," Nowitzki said three weeks ago. "But I don't know like this.

"I'll be very curious to see how they'll do in Athens."

Hey, Dirk: Now that your curiosity's satisfied, time to turn your attention to what you can do for your other basketball team.

We've seen it. Nowitzki was all but unstoppable two years ago in the push toward the playoffs, before Nick Van Exel took over for him and made himself into a fan favorite in the process.

Of course, that's been the problem. Nowitzki always defers. Not that he's afraid to take the money shots, as he demonstrated against the Americans.

For the most part, he's just too polite for his own good. Or the Mavericks'.

Easy to do when he had Nash running the point. His buddy is a great 3-point shooter and clutch at that.

But who's getting the ball with the game on the line now? Michael Finley? Erick Dampier? Marquis Daniels?

You figure Don Nelson really wants to draw something up for Jason Terry?

Talk about a makeover. Don't know if the Mavs are getting any better, but they're sure getting less popular.

First Nash goes, then Eddie Najera. Next thing you know, they'll be auctioning off warm moments from Moody Madness.

Another Mavs season, another era. Last year, the idea was to get taller and rebound better, and they certainly succeeded in the latter.

But not enough to overcome other problems. So Nellie went back to what he knows best.

And now? No more Mad Nellie as the organization weans itself from his experiments.

Or at least that's what they tell us. Small ball was a last resort. They had to play that way because of a hole in the middle bigger than the one in Texas Stadium's roof.

Only the Mavericks could make you nostalgic for James Donaldson, and Dampier should be his long-lost heir.

But he's not a focal point, and he shouldn't be. For that matter, I'd be happy if Nellie remembers he has a center and doesn't hang his coat on him.

Nellie likes all his quirky little matchups, and it'll be interesting to see if his ego can allow him to let go.

Good news: He still has Nowitzki, the matchup nightmare he doesn't have to force.

And now we'll see what Nowitzki can really do. First, he has to make up for last season, when his numbers were down across the board.

Part of the problem was the team's poor chemistry. Too many All-Stars, not enough basketballs.

True to his nature, Nowitzki bowed to everyone. No problem with that this season.

Losing Nash may not be as bad for him as everyone may think, either. Until this season, Nash has always been Nowitzki's security blanket.

Now he has to grow up. Demand the ball. Put the team on his shoulders, and not for just a game or two.

He's always had the ability, but it's not in his nature. Maybe it never will be.

Still, it'll be interesting to see what he does without so many other options to distract him. We saw it this summer. His new Dallas teammates are better than his homeboys, but in any language he's still the man.
Old 08-26-2004, 02:38 PM   #2
Sinn Fein

Sinn Fein is on a distinguished road
Default RE:Dirk, time to take your best shot

"Now he has to grow up. Demand the ball. Put the team on his shoulders, and not for just a game or two. "

Hmmm.. he did this for more then a game or two in the playoffs last year, and year before....
Sinn Fein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 02:39 PM   #3
Stitch Jones

Stitch Jones is a jewel in the roughStitch Jones is a jewel in the roughStitch Jones is a jewel in the rough

[quote]
Originally posted by: MavsFanFinley
I didn't see this posted yet. If it is, let me know and I'll delete this thread.

Dirk, time to take your best shot
With new-model Mavs, Nowitzki can't pass up this chance to dominate

Quote:
You figure Don Nelson really wants to draw something up for Jason Terry?
Um, yeah...unfortunately.

"Did you know that Shaq makes $20 million this season ... and another $60 million over the next three? Every Miami fan just threw up on their creepy all-white T-shirt. "
~ Simmons
Stitch Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 02:55 PM   #4
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
And now we'll see what Nowitzki can really do. First, he has to make up for last season, when his numbers were down across the board.
I can't check this rightt his moment, but I'm pretty sure this isn't entirely accurate.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 03:04 PM   #5
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Dirk, time to take your best shot

Kevin Sherrington is a spare........

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 06:04 PM   #6
Sinn Fein

Sinn Fein is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: Drbio
Quote:
I can't check this rightt his moment, but I'm pretty sure this isn't entirely accurate.
correct doc, off the top of my head i know blocks were up.
Sinn Fein is offline   Reply With Quote