Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Political Arena

Old 04-30-2005, 11:03 AM   #1
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute
Default So let me get this voter id thing straight.

The dems have been whining and crying about vote fraud for the last 6 years. But a simple procedure to prevent vote fraud like having a PHOTO-ID to vote is somehow un-democratic?

I guess I've been missing their point, I thought they were trying to PREVENT voter fraud, now I get it, what they are whining about is LESS voter fraud. So that the dead's right to vote can be preserved.

polipundit has a personal response that I like
-----
dead democrat voter bill

Wisconsin Governor Vetoes Voter ID Bill

By RYAN J. FOLEY, Associated Press Writer Fri Apr 29, 9:15 PM ET

MADISON, Wis. - Gov. Jim Doyle vetoed a bill Friday that would have required voters to show government-issued picture identification at the polls, saying it would disenfranchise elderly voters.

Republicans had argued that the bill would help eliminate the potential for fraud during elections, in which registered Wisconsin voters — like those in many states — need only give their name and address to cast ballots.

But Doyle, a Democrat, said the bill would have made voting more difficult for about 100,000 senior citizens who don't have driver's licenses.

"It will do nothing to correct the management and process problems that have been identified in our elections," he said in a statement.

Assembly Speaker John Gard said he would schedule a vote Tuesday to try to override the veto, but the bill passed each chamber with fewer than the two-thirds votes needed to override.

Under the bill, voters would have needed to present a Wisconsin driver's license, a non-driver's ID issued by the Department of Transportation or a military ID at the polls. Without one, they would be able to cast only provisional ballots, which could be counted in a close election or if they proved their identity by the following day.

Nationally, only South Carolina has a similar law, although several other states have been considering stricter ID requirements.

Several states ask voters to show identification at the polls but allow many forms of ID to be used, such as a
Social Security card or student ID, or allow voters to sign an affidavit.

Republicans in Wisconsin said there were many instances of people using fraudulent names and addresses at the polls during last year's presidential election, prompting investigations by local and federal prosecutors.

Doyle has proposed making training mandatory for all poll workers and creating a statewide voter registration list to include the names of ineligible voters.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links