Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 05-02-2008, 08:06 PM   #81
Jack of Arcades

Jack of Arcades is on a distinguished road

I'd rather have Avery coach ten more years than let Pat Riley anywhere near the Mavs' bench.
Jack of Arcades is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-2008, 09:10 PM   #82
Robillion
Golden Member

Robillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant future

ok.. seriously.. all this talk about Avery actually being good at X's and O's.. when it comes to a coach in this league it is about, "what have you done for me lately?" and lately as in this season, Avery is a terrible terrible X's and O's guy. He made bone head mistakes, felt like he could do whatever he wanted and if it didnt work it was on the players execution of his amazingly drawn play. Look at how the Mavs played this year compared to year's past.... were there rotations oh so questionable in the past as they were this season? ( well starting since the 1st round the previous season)..was every single pocesssion in the past an iso? And when it wasnt Dirk getting any iso this year it was actually the likes of Josh Howard and f'n George getting isos. C'mon. It has been a rather drastic change in coaching if you ask me.. any anyone else that has watched this season should see it clearly. So talking about how great Avery was at any other point other than this season is rather useless. He was a major victim of successful-too-fast syndrome or whatever they have been calling it lately. Ive said it before and Ill say it again..Avery winning COTY was the worst thing that could have happened for him that early in his career. It straight up effected his coaching style and his ability to listen to criticism and advise. He took the entire load for himself this season, it definitely did not work out, and I definitely put a lot of blame on him.

Last edited by Robillion; 05-02-2008 at 09:12 PM.
Robillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 09:14 PM   #83
Robillion
Golden Member

Robillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack of Arcades
I'd rather have Avery coach ten more years than let Pat Riley anywhere near the Mavs' bench.
That is like saying you wouldnt trade JJBerea for Baron Davis....
Robillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 09:27 PM   #84
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robillion
ok.. seriously.. all this talk about Avery actually being good at X's and O's.. when it comes to a coach in this league it is about, "what have you done for me lately?" and lately as in this season, Avery is a terrible terrible X's and O's guy. He made bone head mistakes, felt like he could do whatever he wanted and if it didnt work it was on the players execution of his amazingly drawn play. Look at how the Mavs played this year compared to year's past.... were there rotations oh so questionable in the past as they were this season? ( well starting since the 1st round the previous season)..was every single pocesssion in the past an iso? And when it wasnt Dirk getting any iso this year it was actually the likes of Josh Howard and f'n George getting isos. C'mon. It has been a rather drastic change in coaching if you ask me.. any anyone else that has watched this season should see it clearly. So talking about how great Avery was at any other point other than this season is rather useless. He was a major victim of successful-too-fast syndrome or whatever they have been calling it lately. Ive said it before and Ill say it again..Avery winning COTY was the worst thing that could have happened for him that early in his career. It straight up effected his coaching style and his ability to listen to criticism and advise. He took the entire load for himself this season, it definitely did not work out, and I definitely put a lot of blame on him.
couldn't agree more.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 10:21 PM   #85
foglemann
Golden Member

foglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Hokie
For those asking for a reason for Avery's "failure", here is a stab at a substantive answer:

-Avery has demonstrated a increasing tendency (year over year) towards excessively odd substitution patterns and player rotations. There was rarely, if ever, any consistency. Many assumed that Avery was "fine tuning" and would ultimately settle into a standard rotation. That never happened. Many believe that the failure to have defined roles was a factor in player's being unable to succeed in those roles. A side note on this issue, is that Avery appeared to have a love affair with certain players, no matter how poor their performance (exhibit A, Mr. Stackhouse).

-Avery appears to have issues coaching point guards. Granted, Devin Harris had his limitations, but Avery was extremely resistant to giving Devin any freedom in the point guard role. Even Avery has admitted this was a mistake. The mistake appears to have been repeated with Kidd, who almost surely was never in as "restricted" a role as the one he experienced the last few months.

-My person pet peave, Avery seemed intent on recreating the Spurs "system". Granted, that is a very good system, but this appears to have been a classic square peg, round hole, issue. A good coach can modify his system to get the best out of his players. Avery seemed intent on modifying his players (especially Dirk and Kidd) to match his system. Can anyone show me how Avery "adapted" as personnel changed?

-This year, it appears that Avery's shelf life expired. The players stopped listening. If you can hear Avery yelling one thing from the sideline, and the players to the opposite, they are not listening anymore.

-Ultimately, a good coach can make his team better than the sum of its parts. The Mavericks overachieved in 2006, and Avery should get lots of the credit. The exact opposite is true in the playoffs last year, and all of this year. The Mavericks have underachieved and appear less than the sum of their parts. Some appear to think the Mavericks are what they are, and the results should not be on Avery at all. But ask yourself what players have grown under his tutelage? Dirk yes, as Avery demanded that he become a more well rounded player. But I can’t think of a single other player. That is not a sign of a good coach.

So what does this tell about what we are looking for in a new coach. Personally, I want a coach is not beholden to any "system". One that will look at the talent available, and maximize the W's with talent by tailoring a system to meet their skills and weaknesses. I have seen no evidence of that for years, and it would be a refreshing change.

Great Post, agree throughout.

I'd like to add that Avery gets by with his mouth a lot more than his actions. We probably all agree that this team of players peaked with Avery. IMO, it was the players, not anything that Avery did, other than not be a drunken fool coach(Nellie). The guy had as much of a clue to coach as any of us 4 years ago, and now, we should consider him a great coach. My ass.
foglemann is offline   Reply With Quote