Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 05-05-2008, 10:52 PM   #41
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

I also found the post to be very fascinating. For example, while we think in cycles of seasons, playoff series or Dirk's longevity when considering personnel changes. Mark takes into account the CBA.

Just another layer of decision making that impacts, or even determines, final choices that isn't even in our realm of consideration. Who knows how many more there are?

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-2008, 11:20 PM   #42
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

It's nice to see that Mark has his eyes fixed on the longterm health of our Mavs' contract situation. I've long thought that Kidd's expiring contract might end up being a more valuable asset to us than the on-court contributions of Jason Kidd himself (whether as a trade chip, or because it's expiration will clear a huge salary load from our cap figure), and it definitely makes me happy to see that Mark and the organization seem to be thinking the same thing...
Old 05-06-2008, 01:09 AM   #43
Mavs Rule
Platinum Member

Mavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1MavsFan
Cuban was referring to George and Diop. George asked to be traded a couple weeks before the whole Kidd trade was brought up but either changed his mind or decided he didn't want to go to New Jersey. Diop's agent wanted him to go to a team where he could get more minutes since he's a free agent this summer and Avery wasn't playing him much since Damp came back.
I absolutely think your right about Diop. But I always considered George's trade demand, that lasted all of a couple days, as a ploy to make Avery give him more minutes, and not evidence that he really wanted to leave. As it turned out, Avery did increase his minutes, and we didn't hear any more trade demands from him, and afterward came his trade veto. Although it was a gamble, it paid to stand up to Avery, because when you did you became one of "his boys". ie Stack not taking Avery's crap, and whallaaaa, Stack is his boy.

Last edited by Mavs Rule; 05-06-2008 at 01:13 AM.
Mavs Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 01:56 AM   #44
cinemablend

cinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to all

Quote:
We were having the same home vs road record delta, multiple players asking to be traded and even more internal tension about our lack of consistent performance than we had in 04-05.
I wonder who the "multiple players" asking to be traded were?
cinemablend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 06:22 AM   #45
dangirwin

dangirwin has a spectacular aura aboutdangirwin has a spectacular aura about

I think what theyre doing is trying to get these contracts off the books and make a huge run for FAs after next season.

Dirk is in his prime, but wouldnt you take him a little past it if King James were here?

d
Old 05-06-2008, 07:41 AM   #46
endrity
Platinum Member

endrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud of

I think Mark is mistaking the 04-05 season for the 03-04 season.

That was the season after which Jamison left at his own request, and there was a bad all around relationship with Walker so he had to leave whether he wanted or not. Also, Nash left after the contract dispute.

The 04-05 season is the one where the current core was assimilated.

I still am not sure what this team is doing for next year, admittedly we still have a lot of time to go. But if we are simply clearing salaries for next year than please trade Dirk to somewhere he can win a title. I am sure someone would give us plenty of expiring contracts plus young players for him.
endrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 07:59 AM   #47
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold
Wink

Cuban never yelled at his players, coaches... or the refs!
V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 08:13 AM   #48
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilmav2
I've long thought that Kidd's expiring contract might end up being a more valuable asset to us than the on-court contributions of Jason Kidd himself ...
reading through the blog post, I was wondering if Cuban was thinking that the expiring contract of JKidd might be more valuable than the on-court contributions of Devin Harris.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 08:25 AM   #49
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usually Lurkin
reading through the blog post, I was wondering if Cuban was thinking that the expiring contract of JKidd might be more valuable than the on-court contributions of Devin Harris.
Very good point, UL...
Old 05-06-2008, 08:45 AM   #50
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

Very interesting blog from Cuban. Just hearing him address some of his ideas on the situation makes me feel better.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 08:57 AM   #51
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

really good article, and good discussion back and forth.
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 04:47 PM   #52
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Kidd will not get an extension. If Mavs suck early on, Mavs will move Kidd for some young building chips and draft picks in addtion to an expiring deal. If Kidd does well, Mavs win a ring, Kidd and Cuban will discuss a new contract. Can't see more than 10 million, more like 8 million that Stockton took home in his twillight, but it shouldn't be more than a 1 year deal.
Kidd Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 05:02 PM   #53
Robillion
Golden Member

Robillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant future

If we resign Kidd to say a 1 year deal... wouldn't we want to pay him at the same rate or still high so that his expiring contract could still be used as trade bait? As far as point guards go... there arent many others out there that could be better for us available.. at all. So I definitely say keep Kidd this year and see how a training camp/full season and a new coach/players do for him. Then we sign Kidd for another year and trade him that next summer.
Robillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 05:20 PM   #54
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

It's going to stink if Kidd has a poor start or first half of the season b/c it really will be another "wasted" year for Dirk, and the rebuilding will really be going. At least you're going to get some nice assets in return.

Kidd will be monitored like his life is depending on it.
Old 05-06-2008, 05:37 PM   #55
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9
It's going to stink if Kidd has a poor start or first half of the season b/c it really will be another "wasted" year for Dirk, and the rebuilding will really be going. At least you're going to get some nice assets in return.

Kidd will be monitored like his life is depending on it.
Well you may have to send a contingent over to Beijing for the Olympics. Last I heard from Kidd was that barring a long run through May, he will be playing on the national team this summer.
Old 05-06-2008, 05:41 PM   #56
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Haha, I meant when the Mavs area ready to go back to work.

I hope he does well with Team USA. I hope all of them do, of course.
Old 05-06-2008, 05:54 PM   #57
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Quote:
Haha, I meant when the Mavs area ready to go back to work.

I hope he does well with Team USA. I hope all of them do, of course.
Well he's undefeated in International play. Hopefully Coach K doesn't get him more than 15 minutes a game, like last summer. With Billups, DWilliams and Paul as the PG's no reason for Kidd's minutes to get out of whack. Maybe Coach K cuts Kidd in favor of Billups, Williams and Paul. Can't see us carrying 4 PG's into the Olympics.
Old 05-06-2008, 06:07 PM   #58
BGMaverick9
Guru

Hmmm, that would be a tough decision to make on who to cut, if they actually cut someone. I still think you need Kidd more than 2 of those PGs because you need a pure distributor for all the star-power on the team. You need role players to go with it. I would probably cut Williams or Billups.

Last edited by BGMaverick9; 05-06-2008 at 06:07 PM.
BGMaverick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 06:13 PM   #59
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Quote:
Hmmm, that would be a tough decision to make on who to cut, if they actually cut someone. I still think you need Kidd more than 2 of those PGs because you need a pure distributor for all the star-power on the team. You need role players to go with it. I would probably cut Williams or Billups.

Now with a deep run, Paul may pull his young legs out of the competition, but I hope not. He's what the team needs to in terms of penetration, shooting, creating. Yea, Kidd had to kick start the team last season, they went back to him when the team hit a slump. I read that Spain and China are in the same Group has team USA. China drew USA in the opener. Who knows a Finals run by the Lakers may force Gasol to pull out.
Old 05-06-2008, 06:19 PM   #60
SlimBig
Golden Member

SlimBig is just really niceSlimBig is just really niceSlimBig is just really niceSlimBig is just really niceSlimBig is just really niceSlimBig is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangirwin
I think what theyre doing is trying to get these contracts off the books and make a huge run for FAs after next season.

Dirk is in his prime, but wouldnt you take him a little past it if King James were here?

d
Yep, and I think Cuban is gonna try and make a run at LeBron when his contract is up in 2010. I even heard that there were rumblings from LeBron and his crew that Dallas is on his short list of teams. I'm sure NJ/NY will come first. With Devin being there we may have hurt ourselves in getting him.

However, I guarantee Cuban will put the full court press on getting LeBron here. Dirk ( with a good couple of years left), Bass and Howard's replacement with LeBron?

Wow.
Old 05-06-2008, 06:43 PM   #61
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Only way Lebron is coming here is if Cuban gives him half of the AAC or maybe if Cuban/James partner up to buy the Cubs.

Lebron is looking to be very selfish the next time he's on the market--and it won't just be basketball related.

This is why Jay-Z currently has the upper hand.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 06:46 PM   #62
BGMaverick9
Guru

NBA: Where Moguls happen
Old 05-06-2008, 07:51 PM   #63
dangirwin

dangirwin has a spectacular aura aboutdangirwin has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby
This is why Jay-Z currently has the upper hand.
Until Lebron sees how much of a mess he's going to have that franchise in trying to move it to Brooklyn.

Theres going to be a quite a few franchises dumping salaries next year, which is why its on us to get this done early and done right.

d
Old 05-06-2008, 09:11 PM   #64
bcrav4
Golden Member

bcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to all

I'm not sure if I believe the Terry for Maggette thing was shot down by the Mavs, since getting Mags would have been very beneficial to the Mavs cap-wise. Other than that, I was glad to see that the Mavs know that the best case scenario is the Mavs are a little rejuvenated next year, and in the longterm we will be players in the free agent market and draft.
"They better not put me in the All-Star Game. I won't shoot, but I'll dominate that easy game. I'll be playing hard defense. I'll be foulin'. I'll be flagrant fouling. Everyone will be like, 'What are you doing?'" -- Ron Artest.

Last edited by bcrav4; 05-06-2008 at 09:12 PM.
bcrav4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 09:12 PM   #65
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

mavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the rough

Cuban is an idiot.
mavsfan1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 09:56 PM   #66
foglemann
Golden Member

foglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to behold

Not to go Madape on the subject, but I see no way Cuban extends Kidd. Unless we win a title, doubtful with this mess of a roster, he shouldn't.

Also, I doubt he trades Kidd. I see Cuban moving Josh, Jet, or Damp at the deadline before he moves Kidd. Because Kidd will be 20+ off the books, he is salavating over the idea that he can get rid of some financial burden and sniff some cap space. If he could find another old vet. to add that would come off the books at the end of next season, he would. I believe Cuban hates the fact that he can't do anything in the offseason besides sign mim. vets.

If Cuban trades Kidd, he's just treading water with a roster full of bad signings, which I think he's finally realizing the team he rewarded with contracts over the last few years is only because of one good run in the playoffs.
foglemann is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jason kidd