Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 09-26-2010, 11:14 AM   #1
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute
Default "Improved depth"

Im reading so much about our "improved" depth even if we just changed Damp with Chandler and drafted DoJo.

But i think the truth behind this is that (probably) we will be able to move Terry and Barea down in the rotation/minutes/influence.

Terry is what he is. He delivers scoring and nothing else and if his shot isnt falling he provides nothing beside horrible defense. Thats just not a profil for the 2nd or 3rd most important player of a contender. So hopefully we see the improved Butler and Roddy on MIP level and you have a 2nd and 3rd option that can score in multiple ways and play decent or good defense. Cut Terry to the 4th scoring option (and please dont let him go for his 6th man title) and bench him if his shot doesnt fall or if he get toasted.

With Barea you just have to see his +/- numbers and dont fool yourself. He has a great heart but he shouldnt play more than 10min for a contender because of his defense. Moving Barea down and play Roddy and hopefully DoJo over him.

Thats our improved depth. Butler and Roddy as our 2nd and 3rd guy and Barea down to #10.
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-2010, 12:10 PM   #2
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

This team's problem the last few years has been its starting 5, not its depth...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 03:08 PM   #3
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
This team's problem the last few years has been its starting 5......
(and starting 2 and coaches decisions) - but not so much the depth
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 03:26 PM   #4
Rick41
Diamond Member

Rick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
This team's problem the last few years has been its starting 5, not its depth...
A consistent one at that..

"Dirk Nowitzki is now a household name in every locker room in this world.
You say it in Brazil, you say Dirk, they know Nowitzki. You say it in China,
they know Nowitzki. Kobe, Michael, DIRK." - Jeff Van Gundy
Rick41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 04:27 PM   #5
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Watch out for Dojo!! I expect to hear plenty of karate kid clips in the arena in the near future.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 07:48 PM   #6
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
Watch out for Dojo!! I expect to hear plenty of karate kid clips in the arena in the near future.
I think he honestly make an impact this year. How many athletic point guards are in the league right now that don't have a good jumper? Yeah, that's what I thought.
tcat075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 12:25 PM   #7
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

I loved how KG got in the faces of Perkins and Big Baby. Dirk needs to do this, from Dojo to Roddy even to Caron and Kidd. Tell them to take the shot, tell them to be aggressive. But also at the same time, I'm sure KG's taught them so many things at practice and video sessions. Dirk's got to do the same thing with the kids. RC's got to live with the mistakes, rather than watch Barea get posted up time after time as the 2 guard.
Kidd Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 12:37 PM   #8
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidd Karma View Post
I loved how KG got in the faces of Perkins and Big Baby. Dirk needs to do this, from Dojo to Roddy even to Caron and Kidd. Tell them to take the shot, tell them to be aggressive. But also at the same time, I'm sure KG's taught them so many things at practice and video sessions. Dirk's got to do the same thing with the kids. RC's got to live with the mistakes, rather than watch Barea get posted up time after time as the 2 guard.
There's a lot of things Dirk could do differently but he is never gonna be a KG type of player or personality. We saw him get in Jets face after he let Nash have an uncontested 3 in the playoffs years ago but that was an emotional moment, other than that he isn't gonna do it. Just like getting him to bulk up and play in the post a bit more, or not slap at the ball while defending down low instead of playing a Pau Gasol like defense. You don't have to foul just put your hands up and attempt to block the shot.

Anyway, It has to be someone else. WHo? Idk. No one on the team has the personality + credibility to do that. Perhaps Tyson Chandler can do some of this but his play will have to help his actions meet his words. I have no doubt he will be good for the team at least from a talking and aggression aspect. I see him being the closest to a KG type personality on the team.

Side note- I still wish we could have gotten Billups instead of Kidd...

Last edited by SMC0007; 09-27-2010 at 12:40 PM.
Old 09-27-2010, 04:50 PM   #9
CadBane
Banned

CadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidd Karma View Post
Uhhh, KG made Big Baby literally cry. He ruined his confidence for a long stretch of time. And actually, if you watch Mavs games, you'll consistently see Dirk yell at guys and let them know if you are doing something wrong (he did this a lot with Diop). The only time Dirk pulled a "KG" was when he yelled at Terry when he f***ed up against Phoenix in 04'-05'. And I think most people didn't care for that. KG is NOT a leader. Don't confuse chest thumping and bullying with "leading". They won that ring thanks to Pierce and Rondo far more than KG.

Last edited by CadBane; 09-27-2010 at 04:50 PM.
CadBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 10:34 PM   #10
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CadBane View Post
Uhhh, KG made Big Baby literally cry. He ruined his confidence for a long stretch of time. And actually, if you watch Mavs games, you'll consistently see Dirk yell at guys and let them know if you are doing something wrong (he did this a lot with Diop). The only time Dirk pulled a "KG" was when he yelled at Terry when he f***ed up against Phoenix in 04'-05'. And I think most people didn't care for that. KG is NOT a leader. Don't confuse chest thumping and bullying with "leading". They won that ring thanks to Pierce and Rondo far more than KG.

The only sentence that is even close.

Last edited by SMC0007; 09-27-2010 at 10:35 PM.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:39 PM   #11
CadBane
Banned

CadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The only sentence that is even close.
Just curious, do you ever get tired of being wrong?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GXgFC8q32Q
Old 09-28-2010, 02:28 AM   #12
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Just curious, do you ever get tired of being wrong?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GXgFC8q32Q

Cool vid.? He earns that nickname. He's a big whiney baby. At this level, If he can't handle being yelled at then he needs to move on. They are grown men, you deal with things the way you want to, he chose to cry and get pissy.

What is your point? Your next stance is what, KG is NOT a leader?

that intimidation, chest bumping and bullying doesn't have anything to do with being a leader?

"They won that ring thanks to Pierce and Rondo far more than KG."?

Last edited by SMC0007; 09-28-2010 at 02:29 AM.
Old 09-28-2010, 11:56 AM   #13
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Quote:
There's a lot of things Dirk could do differently but he is never gonna be a KG type of player or personality. We saw him get in Jets face after he let Nash have an uncontested 3 in the playoffs years ago but that was an emotional moment, other than that he isn't gonna do it. Just like getting him to bulk up and play in the post a bit more, or not slap at the ball while defending down low instead of playing a Pau Gasol like defense. You don't have to foul just put your hands up and attempt to block the shot.

Anyway, It has to be someone else. WHo? Idk. No one on the team has the personality + credibility to do that. Perhaps Tyson Chandler can do some of this but his play will have to help his actions meet his words. I have no doubt he will be good for the team at least from a talking and aggression aspect. I see him being the closest to a KG type personality on the team.

Side note- I still wish we could have gotten Billups instead of Kidd...
Haha, true, you can't ask for anything more than 23-8 over 10 years+. Not part of his personality. Yea, Chandler actually does talk a lot, when West gets a little physical for Dirk, lets see what Chandler does. It's going to be fun to see his energy off the bench and getting the 2nd unit going.
Old 09-28-2010, 12:17 PM   #14
wilmtalk

wilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to behold

I think Dirk has the rep and backing of the team right now to be more of a vocal leader. I think he could have been one all along until he got hammered by the media and even members of his own team when he rightfully got on Damps case during the playoffs during Damps first season with the team. Damp is was the type of player who would play better if someone was on his A*ss. The reactions to this incident not only affected Dirks verbal leadership but also provided continued justification for Damps lazyness which he proceeded to establish his career on. Thanks Finley, Thanks Sir Charles. They claimed you didn't do this in public on court. B.S. I have been watching the NBA since the early sixties and players used to do it all the time. The used to call it leadership. Of course there has always been a different standard for Dirk.
wilmtalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 01:18 PM   #15
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilmtalk View Post
I think Dirk has the rep and backing of the team right now to be more of a vocal leader. I think he could have been one all along until he got hammered by the media and even members of his own team when he rightfully got on Damps case during the playoffs during Damps first season with the team. Damp is was the type of player who would play better if someone was on his A*ss. The reactions to this incident not only affected Dirks verbal leadership but also provided continued justification for Damps lazyness which he proceeded to establish his career on. Thanks Finley, Thanks Sir Charles. They claimed you didn't do this in public on court. B.S. I have been watching the NBA since the early sixties and players used to do it all the time. The used to call it leadership. Of course there has always been a different standard for Dirk.
Barkley again. Boy, I don't know, Dirk's just got to be Dirk and not worry about the press.
Old 09-28-2010, 04:12 PM   #16
CadBane
Banned

Quote:
Cool vid.? He earns that nickname. He's a big whiney baby. At this level, If he can't handle being yelled at then he needs to move on. They are grown men, you deal with things the way you want to, he chose to cry and get pissy.

What is your point? Your next stance is what, KG is NOT a leader?

that intimidation, chest bumping and bullying doesn't have anything to do with being a leader?

"They won that ring thanks to Pierce and Rondo far more than KG."?

So you think making your teammates cry, intimidating rookie and euro PG's, and chest bumping is a leader?

Not to mention you claimed that yelling at Terry was the only accurate part of my post...when clearly it wasn't.

Think real hard.
Old 09-28-2010, 04:49 PM   #17
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't want Dirk to act like KG. How many times does that p*ssy need to hit some significantly smaller guy in practice because they beat him to the rim before we realize that he's basically a tool? No, I do not want that type of "leadership" on any team that I'm associated with. I'm sure his teammates really don't want that type of "leadership" either. Especially when that "leader" would prefer not to have the ball in his hands down the stretch in the playoffs.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 06:56 PM   #18
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
So you think making your teammates cry, intimidating rookie and euro PG's, and chest bumping is a leader?

Not to mention you claimed that yelling at Terry was the only accurate part of my post...when clearly it wasn't.

Think real hard.
Making teammates cry? What a sissy, poor big baby.

As a leader you step up and do what it takes to win. Wether it's intimidating the other teams players, yelling at your teammates when they F up even if they choose to cry about it. Obviously it can't always be extreme and you can't just kill your own players constantly, but you don't have any idea what goes on in the practices, locker rooms, on the planes etc. All you see is a clip, KG got in his face and he threw a hissy because he's a big baby. Maybe he needs thicker skin or needs to become a lil tougher minded. I wish Dirk would do some more of that, get in some peoples faces sometimes and hold them accountable.

Old 09-28-2010, 08:06 PM   #19
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry, but I have to side with SMC on this. You haven't played a sport of any kind if you think that is overly tough (from my POV from that video at least). If the player isn't in the game, then he needs a wake-up call and KG gave it. I watched that video and felt no remorse. I'm not heartless by any means, but come on...Big Baby being a Cry Baby about it? How could you be so clueless as to even take KG THAT seriously? The guy barks his whole career and Glen doesn't know that? Gimme a break...

But saying Dirk needs to be in players' faces more? Eh, I'm iffy on that....Dirk sets an example with his game and work ethic and great attitude and loyalty and goofiness and his acceptance of teammates and.....

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 08:59 PM   #20
CadBane
Banned

Man, it's like dumb and dumber in here.

And actually, I do know what goes on in practices. KG beats up his own teammates when they punk him.

Back in 2004 with Minny:

"Pssst: At an informal workout the other day at Target Center, after Timberwolves rookie Rick Rickert made a nifty move to slip past his boyhood idol, Kevin Garnett of the Wolves, to score a basket, Garnett responded, without warning, by punching Rickert in the jaw.

A cut required seven stitches to close, and Rickert also suffered a chipped tooth. The astonished 6-10 Rickert didn't retaliate against the 7-foot NBA most valuable player, who also had unkind words for the former Gophers player. Apparently, the rookie wasn't supposed to score on the MVP. Rickert received his stitches at University of Minnesota Hospital.

Because the incident involved the Wolves' franchise player, the incident seemingly will make it even more difficult for Rickert to make the Wolves' final roster."
Old 09-28-2010, 09:41 PM   #21
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't often side with CadBane, but come on guys, KG is a classless punk who talks to hear his own voice. He's not a leader, he's a talker. There is a difference. Maybe he can intimidate a few rookies, but screaming and cursing out teammates doesn't really get them fired up, unless you're trying to get them pissed at you.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:46 PM   #22
tcat075
Diamond Member

Here's my take on the improved depth/Dojo thing.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:49 PM   #23
Rick41
Diamond Member

Rick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond repute

KG is a douche. Case closed.

"Dirk Nowitzki is now a household name in every locker room in this world.
You say it in Brazil, you say Dirk, they know Nowitzki. You say it in China,
they know Nowitzki. Kobe, Michael, DIRK." - Jeff Van Gundy
Rick41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 09:50 PM   #24
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

KG is a dumb loser, nothing more.

He has talent, but no brain or class whatsoever.

Btw Duncan won several titles without being a loud douche...
Old 09-28-2010, 10:03 PM   #25
sefant77
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcat075 View Post
Here's my take on the improved depth/Dojo thing.
Great read and total agreement.

How about a DoJo development thread with this as intro?

Last edited by sefant77; 09-28-2010 at 10:04 PM.
Old 09-28-2010, 11:36 PM   #26
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Man, it's like dumb and dumber in here.

And actually, I do know what goes on in practices. KG beats up his own teammates when they punk him.

Back in 2004 with Minny:

"Pssst: At an informal workout the other day at Target Center, after Timberwolves rookie Rick Rickert made a nifty move to slip past his boyhood idol, Kevin Garnett of the Wolves, to score a basket, Garnett responded, without warning, by punching Rickert in the jaw.

A cut required seven stitches to close, and Rickert also suffered a chipped tooth. The astonished 6-10 Rickert didn't retaliate against the 7-foot NBA most valuable player, who also had unkind words for the former Gophers player. Apparently, the rookie wasn't supposed to score on the MVP. Rickert received his stitches at University of Minnesota Hospital.

Because the incident involved the Wolves' franchise player, the incident seemingly will make it even more difficult for Rickert to make the Wolves' final roster."

Bah. You don't know shit!

Some of you gentlemen can talk about KG's punk side or his tough guy wannabe attitude and I agree with a lot of it. I'm not championing the guy, I mean he has been a great player in this league and has won a ring. I respect his game, or what it once was at least. At the very least you want to see that kind of emotion from your star players more often than not. Admit it or don't.

Old 09-29-2010, 12:11 AM   #27
41mvp
Golden Member

41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
KG is a dumb loser, nothing more.

He has talent, but no brain or class whatsoever.

Btw Duncan won several titles without being a loud douche...
This dump loser has championship.He plays well in defence and offence.Duncan also.So KG and Duncan are very good player.You write about KG he is dump loser.He is NBA champion he was defensive player of the year he has MVP and for you he is dump loser.So what you think about Dirk.Who he is for you?

No one loves Dirk any more than I do
MY HEART-WHERE DIRK NOWITZKI IS AND ALWAYS WILL BE AN ALL-STAR
41mvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 01:50 AM   #28
CadBane
Banned

An MVP who didn't get the luxury of playing with Pierce, Allen and Rondo?

Dump loser!

Tags
ban cad already!, because cadbane said so, dump losers, positively douchebane, suck it offften, we love fraudbane