Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 07-25-2008, 09:35 AM   #161
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think they're going to pay Avery that much to have him play on the third line. Well...I don't think that's Hull/Jackson's intentions.

With Tippett, you never know I guess. (I guess I would love to see Ott and Avery out at the same time)

Last edited by Flacolaco; 07-25-2008 at 09:36 AM.
Flacolaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2008, 03:53 PM   #162
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

The Star Telegram is having some kind of stupid popularity contest on it's web site to vote on the Metroplex's "MVP."

They started with a field of 16, including of course Dirk, T.O., Romo, Morrow, Turco, Ribeiro, Kinsler, Young, Hamilton, Jason Witten and...Mike Modano, the biggest has-been on the list, who is somehow running away with the final vote.

http://www.star-telegram.com/807/story/805290.html
Old 08-07-2008, 04:00 PM   #163
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Man, that's harsh.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 04:03 PM   #164
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

It's because no one cares about the Star Telegram, or reads their crappy web site, but the Stars put it on the front page of their web site "Vote for Mike Modano."
Old 08-07-2008, 04:04 PM   #165
Caseman
Golden Member

Caseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco
It's because no one cares about the Star Telegram, or reads their crappy web site, but the Stars put it on the front page of their web site "Vote for Mike Modano."
Or maybe, Modano is just greatness.
Caseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 05:12 PM   #166
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Avery was on with the Musers this morning and I have to say.... he's got a bit of a Chris-Chris thing going on.....
Old 08-08-2008, 02:42 PM   #167
wesbrynt

wesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the rough

he is so chris-chris. I don't see how I am going to be able to root for this guy he is a douche of the highest order
Old 08-08-2008, 02:44 PM   #168
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Pretty much. He is a huge douche.

He's a huge douche that will kick your arse, and score 15-20 goals next year...but he's still a gigantic douche.
Old 08-11-2008, 05:47 PM   #169
Smiles
Diamond Member

Smiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud of

Quote:
Pretty much. He is a huge douche.

He's a huge douche that will kick your arse, and score 15-20 goals next year...but he's still a gigantic douche.
An honest douche is better than a deceptive one though, right?

Christ have mercy on us all.

edit: in the interest of self-preservation

Last edited by Smiles; 08-11-2008 at 05:52 PM.
Smiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 04:16 PM   #170
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

29 days until pre-season.

The olympics have been over for a day and I'm already getting antsy. I am ready to go back. I am ready to put the jersey back on.
Old 08-25-2008, 08:36 PM   #171
wesbrynt

wesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the rough

University of Texas football starts this weekend so I am good from here on out.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:53 PM   #172
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

This sore Flaco head brought to you by wesbrynt.

edit: Go Stars.... shouldn't they be in camp really soon? like less than 29 days?

Last edited by u2sarajevo; 08-25-2008 at 09:53 PM.
u2sarajevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 09:59 PM   #173
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Camp usually runs pretty parallel with the pre-season. They'll start before, but not too much before. In fact, I don't think I've seen the date yet. It's not on their web site.
Old 08-26-2008, 11:15 PM   #174
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

September 13th is the Stars annual "ice breaker" event, usually at the Galleria, though the location has yet to be announced.

I may go this year for some new faces I haven't had the pleasure of shaking hands with yet. Richards, and Avery mostly I suppose. Plus it may be the last chance to see Mo. I haven't gone in a couple of years, but that's because last year the roster didn't change at all over the summer.

Still no date for camp....an article on the official site says "less than a month" and we can file that in the "Oh yeah? No sh!7!" category...
Old 08-29-2008, 08:02 PM   #175
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

Meant to post on Stu Barnes' retirement/hiring as an asst coach earlier. Going to miss you, Stu(uuu). I mean, I like Toby Peterson & all, but it's kind of a stretch saying he's going to replace Barnes. Hopefully he'll impart his PK wisdom to the troops & we'll be ok.

PS: The Stars have posted a great tribute video: http://stars.nhl.tv/team/console?type=fvod&id=20411

PPS: It really is too bad he never won a Cup. That's kind of amazing. Hopefully he'll get one as a coach.

Last edited by ames7; 08-29-2008 at 08:08 PM.
ames7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 10:01 PM   #176
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

A little shameless self promotion here...

In this Yahoo Sports article

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...urn=nhl,104228

Is a link to my Stars blog. Which I thought was really cool. It got me almost thousand hits in the last 24 hours. I don't know how they picked my blog to link from a Yahoo article, but ...eh I thought it was cool. If only my blog didn't blow! I would've tried harder had I known anyone was going to read it.
Old 08-30-2008, 01:12 AM   #177
mkat
Platinum Member

mkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to behold

i just found out my pop snagged 4 season tickets behind the glass for this season...i'm excited, to say the least.
Old 08-30-2008, 10:43 AM   #178
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

That's quite an investment!

Sweet.
Old 09-01-2008, 11:20 AM   #179
Caseman
Golden Member

Caseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to all

I'm bored. Blog something.

Last edited by Caseman; 09-01-2008 at 11:20 AM.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:25 PM   #180
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

The Stars released the tv schedule....sort of. I'm sure you can find it somewhere. Of particular note to me is the HD stuff, which Heika talks about here

http://starsblog.dallasnews.com/arch...edule-out.html
Quote:
The Stars have released their television schedule for this season. They also have changed start times on a few games.

Here are new game times:

Saturday, Oct. 18, vs. Colorado _ 1 p.m.
Tuesday, Dec. 2, at Calgary _ 8:30 p.m.
Saturday, Jan. 17, vs. LA _ 1 p.m.
Saturday, Feb. 21, vs. Chicago _ 1 p.m.
Wednesday, Match 18, at Calgary _ 8 p.m.

They still are working out the details on the HD games. The Stars are working very hard to get every game in HD, but that costs money. Because HD requires specific cameras, a specific television truck and specific sending equipment, the cost has to be accounted for. There also is labor needed to work through the transition. The Stars and their television affiliates are trying to work through all of that.

They know you want HD, and they are trying to get it to you, but it is a process.

Here is the Stars' press release on the schedule:
I wonder what they'll really come up with when it's all said and done. Hell, I'd settle for half...I'd settle for a third. Something, give me anything. With all those playoff games in HD last year I got a little spoiled...I want more! Knowing my luck it will be all of the home games that are in HD.
Old 09-03-2008, 06:13 AM   #181
Caseman
Golden Member

Quote:
The Stars released the tv schedule....sort of. I'm sure you can find it somewhere. Of particular note to me is the HD stuff, which Heika talks about here

http://starsblog.dallasnews.com/arch...edule-out.html

I wonder what they'll really come up with when it's all said and done. Hell, I'd settle for half...I'd settle for a third. Something, give me anything. With all those playoff games in HD last year I got a little spoiled...I want more! Knowing my luck it will be all of the home games that are in HD.
When they get the TV ratings they have, can you really blame them?
Old 09-04-2008, 10:30 PM   #182
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Kinda funny short video of Turko, Morrow and Jere shooting photos for a new billboard campaign....

http://www.dallasnews.com/video/dall...ml?nvid=279436
Old 09-05-2008, 02:23 PM   #183
Smiles
Diamond Member

Smiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseman
When they get the TV ratings they have, can you really blame them?
Exactly.
Old 09-05-2008, 02:25 PM   #184
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

What's up in Frisco, Smiles? Everyone getting geared up?
Old 09-09-2008, 09:04 AM   #185
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

I got my tickets yesterday!!!!!

And also, this

Stars Training Camp Schedule

Saturday, September 20
10:00 am - 11:00 pm Group A Practice
11:15 am - 12:15 pm Scrimmage
11:30 am - 1:15 pm Group B Practice

Sunday, September 21
10:00 am - 11:00 pm Group B Practice
11:15 am - 12:15 pm Scrimmage
11:30 am - 1:15 pm Group A Practice

Monday, September 22
10:00 am - 12:00 pm Group A Practice/Scrimmage
12:30 pm - 2:30 pm Group B Practice/Scrimmage

Tuesday, September 23
Dallas Stars at St. Louis Blues - 7:30 pm
11:00 am - 12:30 pm Practice for players not on trip

Wednesday, September 24
11:30 am - 1:00 pm Group A Practice
1:45 pm - 2:45 pm Group B Practice

Thursday, September 25
Colorado Avalanche at Dallas Stars - 7:30 pm
10:00 am - 11:00 am Game Squad Morning Practice
11:30 am - 1:00 pm Players Not In Game Practice

Friday, September 26
11:00 am - 12:30 pm Group A Practice
1:00 pm - 2:30 pm Group B Practice

I'm pretty sure all practices not on game days are open to the public.
Old 09-10-2008, 04:35 PM   #186
Smiles
Diamond Member

Hey Flaco, things are good. Are you going to make an appearance at camp?

You are correct about practices, Flaco.

Last edited by Smiles; 09-10-2008 at 04:36 PM.
Smiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 05:17 PM   #187
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

I'm planning on going up there either Saturday or Sunday (20th, or 21st) or maybe both. My wife is out of town that weekend so I don't have much else to do.

Last edited by Flacolaco; 09-10-2008 at 05:17 PM.
Old 09-12-2008, 04:40 PM   #188
wesbrynt

who is going to the icebreaker event tomorrow?
Old 09-15-2008, 11:21 AM   #189
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Old 09-18-2008, 05:06 PM   #190
Smiles
Diamond Member

DALLAS STARS DEFENSEMAN SERGEI ZUBOV OUT FOUR WEEKS AFTER HIP PROCEDURE
Defenseman Philippe Boucher Day-to-Day With Sore Foot

FRISCO, Tex. – The Dallas Stars announced today that defenseman Sergei Zubov had an arthroscopic procedure on his hip and will be re-evaluated in four weeks. The club also announced that defenseman Philippe Boucher is day-to-day with a sore foot.

The Dallas Stars begin their 2008 training camp tomorrow at Dr Pepper StarCenter in Frisco, with 47 players slated to attend. The players will report for meetings, physicals and photos on Friday morning, and the first on-ice practices will begin at noon Friday.

crap
Old 09-18-2008, 08:07 PM   #191
Caseman
Golden Member

Been reported it will take at least 4 weeks to fully repair.
Old 09-18-2008, 08:09 PM   #192
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

lol.

Seriously? Seriously?

What to go Zubie. Couldn't get that done a little sooner, huh?

Unbelievable.
Old 09-18-2008, 08:10 PM   #193
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

From Heika...

Quote:
Sergei Zubov had arthroscopic hip surgery today and will be re-evaluated in four weeks, the Stars have reported.

Stars coach Dave Tippett said the injury is not related to the sports hernia injury that kept Zubov out for 33 regular season games last season. He said it flared up while Zubov was skating in loose scrimmages over the past three weeks, and that Zubov said it was bothering him earlier in the week. After some discussion, the team decided to get the arthroscopic procedure today and get it fixed as quickly as possible.

Zubov will be out a minimum of four weeks, but he could start riding the stationary bike in 7-10 days, Tippett said. He could return in four weeks, or he could be out as long as 6-8 weeks.

Also, Philippe Boucher probably won't be on the ice Friday for the start of training camp as he has a sore toe.

Tippett said Boucher has been feeling good after recovering from his two should injuries last season and simply overworked himself. Boucher is listed as day to day and is being held out as a precaution.

As for who could move up in Zubov's place since he will be out for the start of the regular season, Mark Fistric moves into the top six if everybody is heallthy, and veterans Dan Jancevski, Garrett Stafford and Maxime Fortunas would fight to be the seventh defenseman. Ivan Vishnevskiy will certainly get a closer look, but if he is not one of the top six and playing every game, he will probably go to the AHL and play there. They don't want him sitting around as a seventh defenseman, and they probably don't want Fistric sitting, either.
Unreal.

We can't compete if we can't keep the D healthy.
Old 09-18-2008, 08:35 PM   #194
Kirobaito
Platinum Member

Kirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant future

Quote:
From Heika...

Unreal.

We can't compete if we can't keep the D healthy.
Didn't we do so last year?
Old 09-18-2008, 08:44 PM   #195
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Click on my signature to read my knee jerk comments.

Yeah we did ok without him last year. I was just really hoping to have Niskanen/Zubov together. Niskanen needs guidance.
Old 09-19-2008, 09:51 AM   #196
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

Annoyed about Zubov, but at least they're taking care of it now. If it's 4 weeks, he shouldn't miss too many real games. Hopefully it doesn't recur too often. It's a good thing our young D got thrown into the deep end last year, hmm?

Happy opening day of training camp, y'all.
Old 09-19-2008, 04:05 PM   #197
Caseman
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ames7
Annoyed about Zubov, but at least they're taking care of it now. If it's 4 weeks, he shouldn't miss too many real games. Hopefully it doesn't recur too often. It's a good thing our young D got thrown into the deep end last year, hmm?

Happy opening day of training camp, y'all.
That's the word I would use: annoyed. He could miss up to 2 months.
Old 09-20-2008, 01:45 AM   #198
ames7
Diamond Member

Loving the pics of our old friend Stu(uuu) all decked out as an asst coach at Day 1 at camp. He looks natural.
http://stars.nhl.com/team/app/?servi...ticleid=382624

I like how DMN & FWST are making a big deal out of lining Mo up on the wing w/Richards when we all know the lines will change like 14 times in the preseason alone.
Old 09-20-2008, 08:16 AM   #199
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

It's a mistake anyway.

10-63-21
9-91-16

Where does that leave Lehtinen? And how is Brunnstrom supposed to show us what he's got if he's playing with Toby Petersen or something?

It's not going to stick.
Old 09-20-2008, 05:25 PM   #200
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

I took a few pictures today at camp...

http://stars.hockeyanalysis.com/2008...ing-camp-2008/

Last edited by Flacolaco; 09-20-2008 at 05:26 PM.