Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 10-24-2003, 09:23 AM   #1
Psychedelic Fuzz
Platinum Member

Psychedelic Fuzz is on a distinguished road
Default Actor portraying Jesus hit by lightning...twice.

Jesus actor struck by lightning
BBC News
October 23, 2003

Jim Caviezel (left) was struck by lightning while filming
Actor Jim Caviezel has been struck by lightning while playing Jesus in Mel Gibson's controversial film The Passion Of Christ.
The lightning bolt hit Caviezel and the film's assistant director Jan Michelini while they were filming in a remote location a few hours from Rome.

It was the second time Michelini had been hit by lightning during the shoot.

Neither of them was badly hurt, according to the film's producer Steve McEveety.

Michelini had previously been struck during filming in Matera, Italy, when he suffered light burns to his fingers after lightning hit his umbrella.

Describing the second lightning strike, McEveety told VLife, a supplement of the trade paper Variety: "I'm about a hundred feet away from them when I glance over and see smoke coming out of Caviezel's ears."

The Passion Of Christ, which was filmed in the ancient languages of Latin and Aramaic, is directed and co-written by actor Mel Gibson and focuses on the last 12 hours in the life of Jesus.

Although it is not due for release until early next year, it has already hit headlines after Jewish figures in the United States slated it for being "dangerous" and portraying Jews in a negative way.

Originally titled The Passion, the film changed its title last week after Miramax claimed the rights to the title for one of its own projects, a historical epic based on a Jeanette Winterson novel.

The film now looks set to be released in the States by independent distributors Newmarket Films, who released Memento and Whale Rider in the US.

Psychedelic Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-2003, 09:33 AM   #2
jacktruth
Golden Member

jacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud of
Default RE:Actor portraying Jesus hit by lightning...twice.

Satan will do all he can to stop it.
jacktruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 09:49 AM   #3
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Once might be coincidence, but twice? Anyone want to bet on the hat trick?
Old 10-24-2003, 09:50 AM   #4
MavsFanatik33
Platinum Member

MavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura aboutMavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura about

I guess God thinks it makes Jews look bad as well...
MavsFanatik33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 11:43 AM   #5
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: MavsFanatik33
I guess God thinks it makes Jews look bad as well...

....or maybe he's Jeanette Winterson's copyright attorney.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 12:01 PM   #6
Smiles
Diamond Member

Smiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud of

Maybe God just has a sense of humor, and he thought it would be funny. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-24-2003, 12:22 PM   #7
dallas_esq
Golden Member

dallas_esq is a jewel in the roughdallas_esq is a jewel in the roughdallas_esq is a jewel in the rough
Default RE: Actor portraying Jesus hit by lightning...twice.

I am laughing God.
Old 10-24-2003, 12:44 PM   #8
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

When I heard about this story I kept picturing the Gary Larsen Farside cartoon where God is sitting at the computer hitting the Zap button.
Old 10-24-2003, 01:00 PM   #9
dallas_esq
Golden Member

dallas_esq is a jewel in the roughdallas_esq is a jewel in the roughdallas_esq is a jewel in the rough

Quote:

Although it is not due for release until early next year, it has already hit headlines after Jewish figures in the United States slated it for being "dangerous" and portraying Jews in a negative way.
Did not the Jews kill Jesus? Or, is this merely my ignorance of history? Has anyone seen these people walking around downtown who call themselves, "Jews for Jesus" they are hard at it right now I'm sure. There are a lot of them and they are persistent. I want to talk to them but I never find time.
Old 10-24-2003, 01:09 PM   #10
Psychedelic Fuzz
Platinum Member

If you want to be picky about it, the Romans did.

Old 10-24-2003, 01:10 PM   #11
jacktruth
Golden Member

jacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally posted by: dallas_esq
Quote:

Did not the Jews kill Jesus? Or, is this merely my ignorance of history? Has anyone seen these people walking around downtown who call themselves, "Jews for Jesus" they are hard at it right now I'm sure. There are a lot of them and they are persistent. I want to talk to them but I never find time.
Human kind killed Jesus, not the Jews. He could have come to any nation at any time, and He would have been killed. In fact, when Paul (Saul) was persecuting Christians, Jesus came to him and asked, "Why do you persecute me?"

The point being Jesus is killed and persecuted around the world, by every race since Jesus came.
jacktruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 01:11 PM   #12
LRB
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: Psychedelic Fuzz
If you want to be picky about it, the Romans did.
Well you get back to the old argument is it the gun who kills someone or the person who pulled the trigger.
Old 10-24-2003, 03:12 PM   #13
Max Power
Banned

Max Power is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: LRB
When I heard about this story I kept picturing the Gary Larsen Farside cartoon where God is sitting at the computer hitting the Zap button.
LOL!
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 03:22 PM   #14
bogey
Banned

bogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the rough

If I were that actor, I would have serious reservations about the next take.

Sounds like the big guy upstairs is a little perturbed.
bogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 03:45 PM   #15
Dirk41= konsesjonen
Banned

Dirk41= konsesjonen is on a distinguished road

Actually, Pontious Pilate had Jesus killed by orders of Emperor Augustus. Thus, The "Romans" killed Jesus. It was a mistake on the part of Augustus as the Jews saw Jesus as a martyr, and it led to even greater revolt. I won't get into a whole history lessen here. However, it is hard to blame Pilate for having Jesus killed. He was the "viceroy" if you will of the jewish provinces of the Roman Empire. He was puppet to Emperor Augustus. The Jews were becoming rebellious and Jesus further stirred them. Especially the Clerical sect, who favored a Messiah via force. The stability of the empire was in jeopardy, thus Augustus ordered Pilate to kill Jesus in a hope to stiffle the Jews.
Dirk41= konsesjonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2004, 11:00 PM   #16
Psychedelic Fuzz
Platinum Member

bump...Now that the film is out, I thought it was worth digging up.

Old 02-28-2004, 11:03 PM   #17
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally posted by: bogey
If I were that actor, I would have serious reservations about the next take.

Sounds like the big guy upstairs is a little perturbed.
Who is this Bogey.