Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 12-12-2003, 03:35 PM   #1
Chicago JK

Chicago JK will become famous soon enough
Default No brainer from David Aldridge

I haven't seen Ely play since I saw him in high school, but this is still brainer. Why would the Clippers trade a young big for a point guard making the minimum on a one year deal. Can't see this happening though.
The Clippers may be looking to shake things up. They're still looking for a point guard, so don't be surprised if they take a run at Travis Best, offering Melvin Ely to Dallas in return
Chicago JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 03:53 PM   #2
Big_Dog

Big_Dog will become famous soon enough
Default RE:No brainer from David Aldridge

I thought Best couldn´t be traded because he signed for the minimum?
Old 12-12-2003, 04:03 PM   #3
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold
Default RE: No brainer from David Aldridge

Ely is no stud by any means, but that trade is a bonefied rip-off. The only problem is that the move would produce a gaping hole at backup point. I don't think I'm confortable with Daniels or Delk manning big time minutes in releif of Nash. If Nash went down to injury, goodbye season.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 06:32 PM   #4
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: madape
Ely is no stud by any means, but that trade is a bonefied rip-off. The only problem is that the move would produce a gaping hole at backup point. I don't think I'm confortable with Daniels or Delk manning big time minutes in releif of Nash. If Nash went down to injury, goodbye season.
I was for the Best signing, but he's looking more and more like a donut of a spare. And if Nash goes down, it's goodbye season, Best or no Best.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 04:31 PM   #5
uberfan
Golden Member

uberfan has a spectacular aura aboutuberfan has a spectacular aura about

I would do it. I have mentioned Ely as a real possibility on other threads here before. He has decent upside and would not slow down the mavs on fast breaks.
uberfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 04:35 PM   #6
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

A 6'10", 260 lb center with a strong frame who's regarded as a pretty good low post defender for Best? Heck, a 6'10", 260 lb center with a pulse for Travis Best?

Where do I sign?
Old 12-12-2003, 05:01 PM   #7
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

I don't really know anything about Ely, but count me in on KG's logic. You pretty much know Walker's not going anywhere, and if Walker's running point forward he could effectively be the backup to Nash running the show. Let Delk and Daniels take turns playing the smaller guard slot since both can defend.
Old 12-12-2003, 05:43 PM   #8
Max Power
Banned

Max Power is on a distinguished road

I don't know how that trade could work - Ely makes $1.6M and Best makes $930K.

The only trade restriction I can find is that Best couldn't be traded until after Dec 15th.
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 06:24 PM   #9
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: Max Power
I don't know how that trade could work - Ely makes $1.6M and Best makes $930K.

The only trade restriction I can find is that Best couldn't be traded until after Dec 15th.
Isn't it within 15% + 100K?

Old 12-13-2003, 02:17 AM   #10
Tony tha Mavs fan

Tony tha Mavs fan is on a distinguished road
Default RE: No brainer from David Aldridge

a Melvin Ely for Tony Delk trade would work......

Dallas trades: PG Tony Delk (8.6 ppg, 2.9 rpg, 0.8 apg in 20.3 minutes)
Dallas receives: PF Melvin Ely (4.8 ppg, 4.1 rpg, 0.9 apg in 18.4 minutes)
Change in team outlook: -3.8 ppg, +1.2 rpg, and +0.1 apg.

L.A. Clippers trades: PF Melvin Ely (4.8 ppg, 4.1 rpg, 0.9 apg in 18.4 minutes)
L.A. Clippers receives: PG Tony Delk (8.6 ppg, 2.9 rpg, 0.8 apg in 14 games)
Change in team outlook: +3.8 ppg, -1.2 rpg, and -0.1 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

Due to Dallas being over the cap, the 15% trade rule is invoked. Dallas had to be no more than 115% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

You have been assigned Trade ID number 1337906

-------------------------------
I know your given up a proven scorer in Delk, for a unproven player in Ely. But a young , hustle type power Forward/Center, who can do dirty work under the boards like Najera/Fortson, could be very good for this young Mavs team.

Old 12-13-2003, 02:27 AM   #11
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: Tony tha Mavs fan

TRADE ACCEPTED

Due to Dallas being over the cap, the 15% trade rule is invoked. Dallas had to be no more than 115% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

I know your given up a proven scorer in Delk, for a unproven player in Ely. But a young , hustle type power Forward/Center, who can do dirty work under the boards like Najera/Fortson, could be very good for this young Mavs team.
I'd do it, unless Cleveland accepts on the Mihm for Delk trade. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-13-2003, 02:40 AM   #12
Tony tha Mavs fan

Tony tha Mavs fan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: LRB
Quote:
Originally posted by: Tony tha Mavs fan

TRADE ACCEPTED

I'd do it, unless Cleveland accepts on the Mihm for Delk trade. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
AWW MAN i forgot about the Mihm for Delk deal , maybe the three teams can work a three -way deal[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-13-2003, 10:49 AM   #13
uberfan
Golden Member

uberfan has a spectacular aura aboutuberfan has a spectacular aura about

Clipps would probably come closer to doing this deal. I think Delk fits there style better than Best.
uberfan is offline   Reply With Quote