Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 03-12-2003, 10:23 PM   #1
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

ok, i'm looking to move into a new apartment complex.

1 bedroom, studio, efficiency, doesn't really matter. want it to be a fairly new complex, nothing over 10 years old. want it to be in the north dallas/addison area ... could deal with even plano/richardson. does anybody have any recommendations?

thanks again.
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-2003, 10:37 PM   #2
southern_sweets
Diamond Member

southern_sweets will become famous soon enoughsouthern_sweets will become famous soon enough

Aex, some free, friendly advice from a CPA. Do NOT rent. If at all possible buy a house, a condo, a shack. You can deduct from your taxable income your mortgage interest and taxes which is the majority of your payment. Due to the slowdown in the economy there are lots of steals out there on homes. It just takes some looking around.

The nice, new apartment complex might be appealing, but with the money you save on taxes when you own it's not worth it.

Pardon my opinionated personality, but I hate to see people throw money away on rent.
southern_sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2003, 10:47 PM   #3
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

ditto. starting house looking myself.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2003, 11:02 PM   #4
sturm und drang
Golden Member

sturm und drang has a spectacular aura aboutsturm und drang has a spectacular aura aboutsturm und drang has a spectacular aura about

Aexchange, I bought a house in October-- a house I had lusted after for 2 years-- and got in at 6%, no points. My mortgage is a bit more than my previous apartment, which was ridiculously expensive, but I'm getting to deduct my interest. Highly recommended. With the interest rates these days, I'm with SS. Go for a house/condo, if possible. I just had dinner with a friend of mine who's an apartment property manager for a real estate company, and he was adamant about now being the time to buy.
Old 03-13-2003, 09:29 AM   #5
Ummmmm Ok
Platinum Member

Ummmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to all

Buying a House in Keller, Tx. Interest Rate: 5.628% They paid for everything, closing costs, down payment, etc. I had to come up with 500.00 in Escrow money and I need 500.00 to close. Thats it. Funny thing is, my payments are actually cheaper than a small 1 bedroom apartment and I get a tax cut on the house.

BTW Sweets, me and you need to talk. I need to know some more detail on my taxes. Do you have AIM?

Too many leaders act as if the sheep.. their people.. are there for the benefit of the shepherd, not that the shepherd has responsibility for the sheep. Ken Blanchard

What we think determines what happens to us, so if we want to change our lives, we need to stretch our minds. Wayne Dyer

These are things that I read and live by!
Ummmmm Ok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2003, 10:05 AM   #6
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

I am looking for a house too. I've found there are lots of great deals out there. Rylan, where are you looking? I need to move closer to Southlake, it is damn hard to get to from most places. I was looking in Flower Mound and north Lewisville. But even from those places, it will still take me about half an hour to get to work. Southlake is nice, but it is too far away from Dallas for me. I need access to some kind of nightlife, you know? I'm too young to live in the country.

Aexchange, the most fun I've had in Dallas was while living in the village. For broke-ass college age alchoholics, there is no place better. Does this describe you aexchange? Probably not. But if you moved into the village, you'd be within stumbling distance from hundreds of bars. And the village has a country club with ultra cheap drinks and food. If I remember correctly, wells are 50 cents on Friday and Saturday nights after 11:00. Plus, Mark Cuban lived there for a while.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2003, 10:21 AM   #7
Ummmmm Ok
Platinum Member

Ummmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to all

<< I am looking for a house too. I've found there are lots of great deals out there. Rylan, where are you looking? I need to move closer to Southlake, it is damn hard to get to from most places. I was looking in Flower Mound and north Lewisville. But even from those places, it will still take me about half an hour to get to work. Southlake is nice, but it is too far away from Dallas for me. I need access to some kind of nightlife, you know? I'm too young to live in the country. >>

Well I live in Flower Mound right now. If I could afford it I would stay here. BTW where I live in Flower Mound, I can shoot right down 2499 and it takes me 7 minutes to get to Grapevine Mills mall, and about 15 minutes to get to Southlake. Rhylan lives in Roanoke I think. That might be an option for you if you want to get to Southlake with no traffic. 114 isn't that bad traffic wise west of Southlake. Hope I helped ya a little bit Ape. Anything else let me know, but I searched everything from Valley Ranch to Corinth to Justin to North Richland Hills and everything in between for 4 months. So I could probably let you know the price ranch on a area if you need it.

Too many leaders act as if the sheep.. their people.. are there for the benefit of the shepherd, not that the shepherd has responsibility for the sheep. Ken Blanchard

What we think determines what happens to us, so if we want to change our lives, we need to stretch our minds. Wayne Dyer

Old 03-13-2003, 10:22 AM   #8
Ummmmm Ok
Platinum Member

<<

<< I am looking for a house too. I've found there are lots of great deals out there. Rylan, where are you looking? I need to move closer to Southlake, it is damn hard to get to from most places. I was looking in Flower Mound and north Lewisville. But even from those places, it will still take me about half an hour to get to work. Southlake is nice, but it is too far away from Dallas for me. I need access to some kind of nightlife, you know? I'm too young to live in the country. >>

Well I live in Flower Mound right now. If I could afford it I would stay here. BTW where I live in Flower Mound, I can shoot right down 2499 and it takes me 7 minutes to get to Grapevine Mills mall, and about 15 minutes to get to Southlake. Rhylan lives in Roanoke I think. That might be an option for you if you want to get to Southlake with no traffic. 114 isn't that bad traffic wise west of Southlake. Hope I helped ya a little bit Ape. Anything else let me know, but I searched everything from Valley Ranch to Corinth to Justin to North Richland Hills and everything in between for 4 months. So I could probably let you know the price range on a area if you need it.
>>

EDIT: Typing purposes

Old 03-13-2003, 11:13 AM   #9
southern_sweets
Diamond Member

southern_sweets will become famous soon enoughsouthern_sweets will become famous soon enough

You guys might want to check out realtor.com. It's a great place search for homes. I just looked at some Dallas listings and found lots of dirt cheap condos. I'm not familiar with the area so I'm not sure where you would or would not want to live.

If you you select a listing it will give you an estimated payment. Keep in mind that does not include your property taxes. There's a place to click on to change assumptions. There you can change the price, down payment and interest rate to see what the payment would be.

Happy hunting!
southern_sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2003, 11:39 AM   #10
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

That's right, Ape.. I live in Roanoke, which is perfect for getting to our place of business.. takes me literally ten minutes to get to work. I think nothing of it. And I can get to the AAC in half an hour. Once the 114 construction gets past Carroll and Whites Chapel and we have bridges there, It'll be even quicker.

But, it is the &quot;country,&quot; as you put it. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] To most people, anyway. I lived in the real country for 18 years, so I'm not too young to live in the country. Hell, I'm excited that I have an Albertson's 5 minutes away. hehe..

Some of the people I work with live in Flower Mound and it's about 20 minutes. The advantage to Denton County, of course, is that property taxes are about 1/3 what they are in Tarrant. So if I can't do Roanoke, I'm going to look at Justin, Flower Mound, etc.

Ummmmm ok, who was your realtor? I could use a sweet deal like that!
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2003, 12:30 PM   #11
Ummmmm Ok
Platinum Member

I just looked, they still have it. I have a realtor but I didn't need one as she didn't do really nothing.

Keller, TX

They are doing a $1000.00 move in. It was supposed to be over January 31st, but it looks like they might keep doing it. You might wanna check into it. Now the $1000.00 only works for first time home buyers, using a FHA loan. If you do decide to go through Ryland Homes, send me a pm and we can talk. I caught a few things that they tried to sneak by me that you need to be aware of. aka higher interest rate, etc.

They also have a place in Justin.

Justin, TX

Hope this helps.
Rich